New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Blank Parchment, New Heroes - Adventures!

Taskon looks uncomfortable. "I have no contraband items in my caravan. However, there are those in my caravan who have special skills or gifts that might be able to help.

As for why this caravan needs to be in Slatetine soon - I have several perishable goods that were aquired before we left Zinabar. They are in danger of being ruined, and I had some bought before we arrived here by an old friend I'd hate very much to dissapoint. Not the romantic answer I'm sure you would have liked, but it will have to suffice.

Perhaps the sniping would work, but you would have to find a vantage point away from the caravan and..."

Taskon lets his sentance trail off, then his dark eyes gleam.

"What if we combined your plans? You could provide a distraction while we pretend to be hauling supplies for the mercenaries. You are brave and resourceful, I've seen that much. It is a lot more likely that you seven would be able to slip into Slatetine after providing the distraction then it would for us to try to get into Slatetine altogether.

And, if you could find a weakness in the deployment of the kobold tribes, then you could tell Count Lars and help the idiot lift the siege."

For Dorian and Aedrus only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You two get the feeling that there's more to Taskon's "perishable goods" than he is telling you. He was much too relieved when he moved the conversation onwards. Also, he placed a strange inflection on the word "friend."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Well, Lieutenant Calenthir, you probably have the best eyes and the best feet of us, would you like to go ahead and find the best place to send the wagons through with a distraction?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Calen is getting visibly annoyed with Taskon's games and is about a stone's throw from telling him where he can put his goods, perishable or otherwise.

"No one is doing anything until I hear the word "gold" after a number with a lot of zeros! I don't give a goblin's ass about you or what you're hauling..."
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aedrus whispers to him.

"Of course he'll pay a lot Calen, he already promised that.

The range of my abilties is Low, compared to Calen's."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

"Besides, if he welches, we can always just take it off him later." Jerik smiles cheerfully at Taskon, chuckling as he says this, making it difficult to determine how serious the Tiefling is being, "We might not be able to find you later, I'm sure you've got a couple tricks up your sleeve, but I doubt you could hide those wagons!"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

All the irritation and anger Taskon was showing moments ago returns, and he snaps at Calenethir, "You must have me confused with one of the rich merchant princes of Nethril. Out here in the Nantir, gold has more value. I have told you already that I will pay you, but you ungrateful mercenary will not keep me at my word. If you help me get into Slatetine and if you survive I will pay you five hundred gold crowns, damn your eyes.

Does anyone else wish to demand anything? My life's blood, perhaps? Or if that is not rich enough, would the hoard of the Dragon Fernixos and the treasury of the Storm King suffice?"

Taskon takes a deep, shuddering breath and glares at Calenethir with his ebony eyes, before sweeping his gaze across the rest of the ragtag group.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #187

"Nothing else special for me."

Aedrus takes his rod, spins it and puts it back into his belt.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Graciously: "Nothing would please me so much as a lock of your lustrous hair. Such a token from such a prince would be the most wonderful reward. But alas! Should you reward me so, the rest would be jealous, and I must be content with the paltry sum you have offered."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

"Aah, he can be taught. Honestly, how does anyone get anything done in this country? All I wanted was a number to go with my 'handsome reward', is that so hard? Fah! If it were up to the rest of you, we'd still be saying 'good morning'!"

Curtness and succinctness were virtues in Gray Elf society. It was considered rude to waste time with pleasantries and flowery language when gold was on the line. Nethrilian merchants weren't known to haggle, let alone wish you a good day unless and until you'd made a purchase.

"Five hundred is what I asked for. I'll scout the area and report back."

Without waiting for confirmation or assistance Calen vanishes into the countryside as swift and silent as any of his woodland kin.

((A few stealth checks to speed things along...
    (1d20+10)[25]
    (1d20+10)[28] ))

10. - Top - End - #190

"I'll follow as well...

I'm not useful up close, I'll just have to pick a closer vantage point."

OOC:

Activating my utility for a +5 on stealth.

Taking Ten if allowed. If not, I'll roll in the OOC thread.

Total of: 18. Hopefully Calen can advice me up to 20.

I also have concealment due to shadow walk.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-10-28 at 07:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a ridge not a mile to the northeast. From there, Calen and Aedrus can see the valley below.

Slatetine is a thriving town built at the base of the great mountain Orsengard. However, this means that Slatetine is laughably easy to besiege. The besieging camp stretches for over three miles in a half-circle around Slatetine. There is a no-man's land between the two that is covered in deeply dug trenches.

There are three roads that converge onto Slatetine - the western road, which you have been traveling on; the eastern road that leads towards the Storm King's realm and the realm of Baren Varenis, and the southern road. Along the southern road now, another band of sellswords marches towards Slatetine.

Many flags fly over the camps in garish shades of green, red and black. Stylistic talons and fangs often adorn these. It slowly dawns to you that a kobold tribe must be made of over a thousand kobolds.

As for getting down into the vale? Though the southern road is bleak and bare, the northern roads are covered in woods and brush, with rolling ridges and knolls. It would be possible, though by no means easy, to get down into the camps without being noticed.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Calen keeps an eye out for any glaring tactical advantages while he's assessing the area...a steep, straight incline where we could fell trees and send the timbers rolling down on the camps...a patch of loose rock that might do the same...any high spot to serve as a bunker.

How many does the mercenary band number?

Reconnaissance complete he returns quickly to the others and recounts all he saw.

To Taskon "I can get you in, no problem. As for your wagons? Not with a hundred rifles and supporting nines could I clear a swath through their forces...running this "blockade" would be suicide."

If there is, by some miracle, a significant tactical exploit on the field, he inquires as to the strength and composition of the Count's troops. If not, he supposes Taskon can just sit on it.

(By "nines" he means a sort of cannon.)

((And a Perception check to examine the layout of the area for said exploits? (1d20+10)[27]))

((And a map of the area, even a doodle in Paint would be amazing ))
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-10-28 at 10:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

After hearing Calenthir's report, Jerik turns to Taskon, "Not to be demanding, but you wouldn't have any extra horses, would you? Remounts and such? I have the feeling that we are going to need to move very far very quickly. If we have to decoy a chunk of that army off of a road and then break through ourselves, a bit of extra speed would be useful."

ooc: If Taskon hems & haws:
    "Of course you could take the cost of the horse out of the payment you offered me, that would be perfectly fair. Or if absolutely necessary, I could always return it to you afterward."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

The mercenary band coming down the road numbers easily a hundred men and twelve carts.

There is a tactical advantage - a bare, high spot as the mountain begins its ascent. From there, the camps are easily acessable by ranged attack and hard to reach by ground troops. However, it drops down into woods and brush, making it hard to shoot any approaching troops. Furthermore, it is hard to acess Slatetine from that position.

A second tactical advantage would be the long lengthwise trenches running along the camps. With your superior elven vision, you can see messengers and servants running along the trenches while soldiers run across the trenches on hastily constructed plank bridges. It would be easy to sneak along one of the trenches - but getting into one would be another thing indeed.

Taskon blinks and looks at Jerik hastily when he speaks. "My apologies, I was thinking about something. I would certainly allow you to take one of Nalip's horses on the trail - it's the least I can do to help."

When Calenethir comes up with his discouraging news, Taskon frowns. "Alright. If I can get in with Beren and Zanos, I can leave Nalip in charge of the caravan until the siege lifts. Could you get the three of us into Slatetine tonight?"
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-29 at 09:56 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

"Darn fast elf."

Aedrus continues scouting, knowing full well he couldn't find Calen even if he tried. He wracks his memory for any knowledge about any stories he's heard about Slateline. Battles. Seceret Entrances.

perception - (1d20+2)[8]
    Stealth: 18
    [toll=KnowHistory]1d20+8[/roll]

16. - Top - End - #196

KnowHistory - (1d20+8)[13]

Aedrus recalls a myth about Slateline, and how using tunnels. The slaves of the Storm King escaped captivity. However he does not know whether this is true or not, nor where they could be.

OOC: Woops, said "toll" instead of "roll"
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-10-29 at 10:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

The way onto that bare spot on the mountain is narrow, and that brush would offer fantastic cover. We may have trouble shooting into it, but so would they. Dwayna and I could likely hold that route for a long time indeed, against Kobolds. With Tenet backing us up, we would be nearly impossible to dislodge. And think of the havoc the rest of you could do to their camp." Jerik smiles, clearly visualizing what the wizards could do. "Taskon, once we stirred the ant farm a bit, could you get into one of those trenches? A wily Shadar Kai like yourself should be fully capable of getting through a deep cut in the earth like those."

"Twilight may be the best time for this--long shadows in the trenches, and if we can just hold until darkness, it would be easy for us to retreat up and along the mountainside, especially if we take the time to pick our route away now."

"What do the rest of you say? Dwayna, it may be dangerous for us, holding the line like that. I'm sure it will just be plain fun, for the rest of you."

18. - Top - End - #198

Aedrus returns from scouting.

"War's never fun, but it will be easy."

Aedrus leans on his quarterstaff.

"Shaman, then worker, then mercenary, now I'm a soldier, what next? Festival Clown?"

As he says this he is clutching his necklace, made from bone, coloured beads, and feathers.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Jerik laughs happily at Aedrus' remark, "I have an orange and blue shirt in my bags, if it would help."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Calen folds his arms and nods at the plan - this was sensible. "I'll go with a group to hold the high ground; that's exactly how we deal with goblin war bands back home. I'll need the artillery with me - I mean the Wizards. With their help, we can hold that position for hours. Maybe one more volunteer? The rest of you should go with Taskon on to Slatetine. We'll catch up after we've had our fun."

Gray Elf tactics to the letter: entrench a superior position, bring the big guns, ensure the price of overrunning the position if more than any could pay. Even goblins thought better of spending 100 warriors just to root out a bunker with 5 elves.

Brush didn't concern him...when in doubt, use fire. Dorian could torch any cover for 200 feet around the position while Calen and the others in the group fortify the makeshift 'bunker' with a stones. After they improved their defenses it would be a simple matter to distract the troops while the second group makes a run across the trenches.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-10-30 at 02:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201

"I'll come with you Calen."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I suppose that Taskon could use muscle inside that trench, so either way.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

A hint of bemusement as he turns to Jerik, "I'm afraid your talents would be sidelined when defending a bunker. You, Merenwen and Tenet can see Taskon safely across the trenches; you'll have plenty of opportunity for melee combat there."

He gestures to the ridge. "The rest of us will head up there, clear some of the brush and set up our defenses. We'll serve as a distraction while the rest of you dart across to Slatetine - and hopefully put a dent in the enemy forces."

"Taskon, if the Count can spare a few sharp shooters to accompany us, we'll be able to entrench and hold that position indefinitely. Our presence should give his infantry an opening at that Eastern flank...after we've cut down a few waves. Actually, if the Count can make an attack on the east after we've caused our diversion, that'll give the lot of us time to slip through to Slatetine and we won't have to split up...that is, of course, if you can wait another day to get into the city. Hmmm...after we're gone, the Count might be able to install a balista on that site."

"Either way, we could do with some provisions...shovels and potions come to mind. Though if you have any Alchemical Fire, that would certainly come in handy."

Warfare in rugged terrain? Yes...the Lieutenant had some experience.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-10-30 at 03:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Taskon nods. "Shovels we have aplenty. Potions - those are rarer. Alchemical fire? Alas, I have none, but I know where you could find some in Slatetine.

And as for slipping in as Lars makes his attack - there remains the problem of getting word to him in the first place. I thank you for your assistance, Jerik. You would be a worthy companion, whatever we do."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

'Quill has been amusing himself the entire time by attempting to craft illusonary ice-castles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quill's player has been on a Fable II binge. Sorry.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

"Fine, fine...let's have some shovels and a mattock and we'll be on our way. You'll know when the fun starts, you can make a break across the trenches after we've got their attention. After you get to Slatetine you can send some of the Count's troops to evacuate us. We can probably manage to get out ourselves, but we might need some help."

He checks the rounds in his revolver like a nervous habit, then looks back up at the group. "Any objections?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Take Merenwen -- Even the best artillery needs some support. Taskon, we'll sneak into just inside their perimeter. As soon as we're through, though, we'll move into the open, bold as crows. Let me do the talking, Taskon unless you speak draconic; If I look scary enough the Kobolds shouldn't think twice about me-which is why I love em. We'll move briskly through the camp away from the diversion, calling for reinforcements the whole way.

Adjusting straps on his armor, he looks to Dorian. "I'll need favor, friend. As soon we're inside, I need you to light me on fire, if you can. A few good scorch marks will prove what side I'm on, far as the kobolds are concerned. When we reach the far end of the siege fortifications, I'll leave a lit sunrod there-at that hill," Jerik points to an outcropping with a haphazard rock wall across it. "When we I light that sunrod, it means that we got through, and it's time for you to pull out. It should be twilight by then, so you should be able to see it."

Grimaces, suddenly, "Taskon, you wouldn't have any tricks to help me get past those first sentries, would you? How much can you carry when you shadow jump?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

"Only the clothes on my back, the dagger at my belt and whatever is in my coat. However, I believe I can carry some tricks in that coat."
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-30 at 07:08 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, If we can time things right, I really only need to be right up with any sentries. Besides, what comes, comes. All I can do is have fun at it."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

"We'll be fine" He puts his hands on his hips and looks Merenwen up and down. "Besides, if Taskon doesn't reach the city alive, no one gets paid. You and Jerik can keep him in one piece, right?"
    His eyes shift back towards the ridge. "All right, if you can burn thing with your mind, you're with me...same goes for you, Iceman. Let's head out."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-11-01 at 03:39 PM.