New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Digging Up the Past

You all meet up with Malrion outside the gates of Aellyn's Folly, and as soon as every one has arrived, the expedition departs. As well as yourselves and Malrion the expedition consists of 15 hired guards of dubious skill, 40 skilled workers (guys with shovels who carry stuff) and 5 other archeologists. Malrion sets a swift marching pace through the foothills of the nearby Dragon Spine mountains which is surprising given his obvious old age. As the sun begins to set, Malrion orders a halt and for camp to be set up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Digging Up the Past

Vorton Saul

The thin, gaunt man who had often ranged ahead to talk to Malrion during the trip sits down in front one of the communal fires and holds his hands out to the flames, seeking their warmth.

At first the flames seem to shrink back from his hands, but they coax themselves back into prominence and the man sighs as heat washes over him. His swept-back ash-gray hair lends prominence to his facial features, high bones visible under skin that seems a little sallow. Though his long coat obscures most of him, anyone looking can see the glint of mail underneath it.

As he warms himself he nods to anyone passing.

"Join the fire, a long march deserves a long rest."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Hilde

A tiny but separate fire pit, recently dug, stands a little ways away from the main fires, sharing its space with a single tent and a small tree. Using the last one as a hitching post for her horse, the elf called Hilde finishes the final touches on her own private base.

It's the only work she's been bothered to do this whole trip, having failed earlier to convince one of the dubious guards or skilled workers to pitch the tent for her. Indeed, while her black leathers and deadly looking bow help with graceful features to paint a skilled ranger's appearance, Hilde has been rather lazy since the trek started.

Now pausing to adjust the web of braids holding up her mane, she blinks at Vorton expectantly. "...Is it time for dinner?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

A sickly boy takes his place at the fire. As he approached the blaze and his shadow began to appear, his face seemed to twitch slightly, almost unnoticeable. Hello again, Umbra.

A voice filled Zeren's head. Anyone else would not know where such a voice came from, but he knew that it was Umbra, the shadow-spirit bound to him for their mutual benefit. It's never pleasant to lose coherence. Damned sunset.

I can assume... but we'll need to limit our conversations while we're here. We can't risk being seen... I don't want someone assuming that I'm a Nagash cultist trying to find something of his or some such thing.

I know, I know... ahh... It'll be boring just watching, but I don't want you killed either. Besides, as long as you keep using my power, I'm fine.

Don't worry, I will whenever necessary. Zeren looked around at the others. The elf had been working to make her own shelter, away from the rest of them. He had seen that she hadn't done too much to help anyone else- neither had Zeren, for that matter, but in his case it's because he is far too frail to do as much as the average traveller. The human, on the other hand, intrigued Zeren. He didn't seem entirely... normal, for lack of a better word, but he still intrigued Zeren. "Hello, I am Zeren Vaul, a scholarly assistant on this voyage. Who might you be?"
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zeren Vaul- Retired
    Mederen Vailis- Retired
    K'thzt Zytrael- Retired- Mind Flayer Madness II
    Saless Morin- Retired- When Swords Crash
    Kekan Edjak- Retired- The Banolin Chronicles
    Vol Kaerstorm- Retired- Kreados
    Hammond Smith- The Game
    RN77-L3- Scum and Villainy

5. - Top - End - #5

Vorton Saul

Vorton smiles thinly as the two newcommers greet him.

"Do you mistake me for a cook, miss? I admit my similarities to the camp fry-up man are striking, but no, I've already eaten and thus have nothing to offer but company."

Vorton spends a moment regarding the boy that just sat with him. There was something about him, a difference in the way he carried himself and glanced into the shadows around them that piqued the dread necromancer's interest.

"Good meet then, I am Vorton Saul. Being somewhat of an expert in the powers of the dead, and in the escaping of their clutches, I was hired to protect and advise on and about them."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watching Zeren from across the fire, "What's wrong with you boy. We are about to see a marvel of engineering and you can't even smile." Raising a drink to his lips. "Maybe a drink would help him lighten up, right Bosk?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeren raises an eyebrow at Vorton upon hearing his specialty. "Powers of the dead, hmm? Hopefully we won't be dealing with too much of the kind, but it's good to know there's someone with a bit of knowledge on the kind. Hopefully this means you won't confuse me for one of them, I'm not there yet..." He then grins and turns to face the dwarf. "You just wait until we get to the ruins... it might not be a typical smile, but it'll at least be a look of awe. Then a smile. And thanks for the offer, but knowing me, a drink would do me in. Doubly so, if it's a dwarven brew."
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zeren Vaul- Retired
    Mederen Vailis- Retired
    Hammond Smith- The Game

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As the group gathers around the fire, a pale, scholarly looking man walks into the group. His unusual tattooing gives him a commanding presence.

"My name is Tiberius Germanicus. If it pleases you, I would beg permission to share your fire" he says from a standing position. Despite his words being a request, his tone of voice makes it obvious that aquesence is expected.

As he sits down, a figure lurches out of the darkness behind him and takes up a standing position roughly 6 feet behind him. The figure is completley robed in black cloth, and nothing can be seen of his nature except that his is of roughly human proportions, and he carries a longsword and a shield.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Bosk

Next to Hathor sat a pale dwarf who seems engrossed with something at his side. All kinds of craftsman's tools lay around him. The heavily armored dwarf seems to ignore most of what's going on around him.

Bosk looks up from his work, a large axe now halfway polished, only at the mention of his name. After a moments pause, his yellow eyes land on Zeren. "If he wants to stop worrying, then sure, a drink's the cure." The cloth doesn't even leave his hand, it simply takes a short lived break and continues.

A few of the comments finally get him to put it away, it would have to wait until it was quieter. "Have a seat, we don't really own it either. Your friend might as well join us too." After a moments pause, he realizes that something else was probably expected of him. "Tiberius? Name's Bosk... I'd probably be called a hired guard"
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Hired guards! I think we are a little better trained than that, though I supose you were always the modest one."
    Last edited by kentma57; 2008-10-23 at 01:30 PM.
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.

11. - Top - End - #11

Vorton Saul
    "And welcome to you all. It seems as if we all hold to our own areas of expertise."

Vorton shades his eyes from the fire to get a better look at the black-garbed figure behind Tiberius, squinting slightly.

"Tiberius, does your silent guardian have a name? I feel ill at ease when I do not give a person their proper credit, and to do that a name is essential."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling a spot check tosee if Vorton can detect what the shrouded figure is.

Spot - (1d20-1)[12]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Vorton Saul, you are unable to determine anything new about the cloaked figure behind Tiberius.

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Yorrick is my manservant, and bodyguard. The unfortunate man is both deaf-mute and horribly deformed, and is greatly distressed if anyone looks upon his skin. Please don't mind him, he'll be quiet there, after a while you'll forget he's even present."

Glancing at Vorton, he adds "As a scholarly aid here, it would seem our area's of expertise... overlap somewhat. Perhaps we could be of aid to each other."

And what are you hiding, I wonder...
    Last edited by turbosloth; 2008-10-28 at 10:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Vorton Saul

"I would not deem to call myself a scholar, good Tiberius, merely first hand experience and happenstance have given me my knowledge. Nonetheless I would welcome the opportunity to speak at length on our mutual fields of expertise."

Him and the shadowed one, they interest me. Best to gauge their abilities soon lest they become true unknowns.

"In any case, have any of you gleaned what might await us at the ruin? Of course knowledge that has been lost for centuries is our goal, but I know very little of this keep regardless. Any light that could be shed would be most welcome."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Bosk

"Fine, fine. Maybe mercenaries? Hired hands? Problem solver?" Bosk shrugs, taking a drink from his waterskin and putting the cloth away. "Probably problem solvers really. Bound to get our hands full with so many bookish types."

Spilling some water as he gestures, he continues. "It's why I'm hear at least, I'm simply after the coins that'll change hands when this is done. I've seen enough ruins back home, really."
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeren glanced at between the two conversations. He had been trying to follow along both, but quickly accepted that such an act would yield nothing, and turned to focus on the two humans over the two dwarves. "Ah, but that's the question, isn't it? We don't know what we'll actually find. It could be an empty ruin of an age gone by, or it could reveal the secrets of the end of Nagash's reign. Half the fun is finding out, at least in my own opinion."

Hmm... if my perceptions are correct, we have two death mages here... going to investigate what may be the last dwelling of the most powerful undead in history... heh. This could be rather interesting...
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zeren Vaul- Retired
    Mederen Vailis- Retired
    Hammond Smith- The Game

17. - Top - End - #17

"Something on your mind?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkantra View Post
    Vorton Saul
    "In any case, have any of you gleaned what might await us at the ruin? Of course knowledge that has been lost for centuries is our goal, but I know very little of this keep regardless. Any light that could be shed would be most welcome."
    In response, and interrupting any reply Zeren might have had, comes the twang of a bowstring. Hilde looks up from a spot appropriated for herself by the main fire, having tightened and fitted her bow string to a bow of combined pieces of darkwood. The recurve tips at each end represent talons or claws by the look of their carving, and other than knotted inlay at either end of the grip, it's unadorned, letting the craftsmanship be the mark of quality.

Hardly fitting given the lazy look on the elf's face. "Don't know anything about the ruins, just that this may need more use than catching a late dinner," the bow is lifted lightly, T' be honest I'm more surprised by the number of us that were hired... along with the workers, but it's really the only thing I've seen that struck me as odd."

"Anyone want anything? I'm going to go catch some supper."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

“I don't know how much you'll find out there. A group this large probably scares away wildlife,” a young voice protested to the hunter.

Cassandra Clarion had idly been listening to the conversation as she waltzed away from one group and plunked her weighted self down with a sigh. Her breastplate no longer feeling as much a burden to her, but still bothersome. “But I've got some rations if you'd care to stay and sit

In firelight the insignia of the Invincible deity shone that much brighter, as though her god were subtly siphoning credit for her being there. The pale-faced blond didn't want to deny it. Although the unfortunate fact she was going to be going in a dusty, dead-end tomb for no reason other than to sate somebody's curiosity was true, she wanted to help keep some kind of confidence and calm in everyone in the camp. She had spent most of the march introducing herself and letting others know she intending to see everyone into and out of the abandoned fortress alive. If nothing else, others she had spoken to were eased by seeing a knight of a holy order, especially when heading into a place of assumed evil.

Cassandra's green eyes settled on the sickly looking boy with certain confidence and an upbeat voice. “And I figure a few old bones, maybe moving around, that need to be put to rest. That's the worst we'll find down there, and I'm more than prepared to put an end to that

She looked around, giving everyone an idle glance, taking into stock numbers instead of faces. Cassandra was finding it impossible to remember everyone, and hated thinking of lives in terms of numbers. But she still thought a rough count would help her keep track of others.

“Look, I missed your introductions, but all you need is my own,” she grinned. “My name is Cassandra Clarion. And if anything down there so much as twitches the wrong way, tell me. There's nothing I can't handle
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2008-10-25 at 05:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Hilde

"Ugh, no, the elf makes a face, "I'd rather try to find something that hasn't been scared off rather than eat those things, but thanks anyway. Name's Hilde.

Checking her gear over with surprisingly professional care, including a stuffed quiver of well-fletched arrows, she stands up again. "Besides, even if I can't find anything, it may let me know something about this place... Can't hurt to know the lay of things; it could be handy..."

With that, she starts to slink off away from the camp, knowing she has little time for light to be of any help for food.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming she's allowed leave, Hilde's gonna try to hunt for something, and learn what she can about the area. Survival and Knowledge nature checks: (1d20+7)[13] (1d20+6)[9]

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Hilde
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one tries to stop you from leaving the camp, though the hired guards on watch duty do look at you a little strangely. You do not notice anything out of the ordinary as you begin to hunt. Your hunting is more successful then your natural knowledge and you easily bring in enough food and water for yourself and one other person.

22. - Top - End - #22

Putting his mug down to rumage through his pack, "Well I have food to last for a while, I think I'll skill the hunting and have a drink by the fire."

23. - Top - End - #23

Vorton Saul

Vorton's lips twist upwards in what might be a smile as he addresses the armor bedecked woman.

"Vorton Saul, the owner of this most precious fire by benefit of being here first," he opens his arms in an encompasing manner, as if everyone seated had entered his own home, "We have already stated our occupations on this expedition to better know each other, yet I can guess at your own. A knight, endowed with the holy energy of her patron and well-skilled in the art of the sword. A paladin, by your armor."

Vorton smiles broadly, a move that stretches the skin accross his face, highlighting his facial bones.

"Welcome then, to our disparate group."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Cassandra cringed at his conclusion of her position. Obviously he was overtly perceptive. If nothing else, she knew who to turn to if an astute set of eyes were ever needed in the fortress. But it was easier keeping decorum downtrodden if exact occupations where left unsaid. She knew that she naturally appeared amazing, and so it was hard to keep others from assuming the best of her. However, those that knew her paladin calling tended to feel obliged to lavish empty-handed titles on her.

She said reluctantly, “Yeah, I'm one of them. Look, lets not make any kind of big deal about that. Keep from calling me Lady and the like.

“I'm going to gag if I have to deal with anymore of that today,” she muttered. Cassandra then perked up, “But as great as it must be for you all to meet me, it's my pleasure to meet your motley bunch, Vort. Now, I'm going to throw a divine guess and say that you're an archaeologist. I'm right, right?”
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2008-10-26 at 01:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Is this realy the time to talk work?" says the dwarf between gulps from his drink.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Hilde

"Nuthin' to hunt, eh?"

A short time later, Hilde returns with a large game bird in hand, and looking overly pleased with herself if she does say so herself. And she does. "Wasn't that hard to catch, really... If anyone wants some they're welcome to help me clean it,"her light-hearted tone belies an ulterior motive, "A feast before we have to...work tomorrow, let's say."

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"So Vorton guessed correctley then, I see" says Tiberius languidly to Cassandra as he makes himself comfortable by the fire, almost lounging. "A paladin." But one who winces at the title. Interesting... "Well you are more than welcome here with us, perhaps you can help Yorrick protect my overly scholarly head from a trouncing..."
    Last edited by turbosloth; 2008-10-28 at 10:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Cassandra was mildly impressed by the triumphantly returning elf hunter. But briefly she ignored her to nod to the man that had also welcomed her but not introduced himself, “Sure can. But I agree with your wise dwarf friend. Sorry for talking shop from the start – I just find it relaxing to hear about others that got to choose their own calling

She shrugged slightly, the action exaggerated by her armour, and stood. She yawned and stretched her hands out in front of her before approaching the woman.

“I'll clean if you can cook it. Just point out how...never had to do it myself. By the way,” she said then to the group, “Where are you all from? Anyone else born in Aesri's Glory
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2008-10-29 at 04:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeren's mind had been wandering- or at least that is what it appeared to most of the group. To any that chose to devote their focus- or were among the most observant people alive- might notice that every so often, his shadow would twitch separately from his own actions...

Ah hah! Two death mages! Who knows what fun may come from this journey!

Rather enthusiastic, aren't you? It's not as though they're other shadows for you to talk to- wait... are there other shadows like you?

Ah ah ah! That would be telling... wait... what was that? A paladin? Oh various gods, this couldn't get much better! As long as we stay out of this, this could be great entertainment!

Depending on how the paladin reacts to them... I mean, considering that they do not wear their title high, they may not smite someone just for studying death...

Ah, have a little heart. If this works out, it can be the most fun I've had in years!

Oh, thanks.

Zeren turned back to the conversation. "I'm from a moderately sized farming village a ways away... I've been travelling for a good few years now, more or less in a straight line when it would allow, so I'm not sure exactly where it is anymore. I'm Zeren, by the way. Zeren Vaul. Archaeological assistant, and most likely the most frail person you'll meet. At least, most frail who won't die in front of you.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zeren Vaul- Retired
    Mederen Vailis- Retired
    Hammond Smith- The Game

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Hilde

"My human grandniece threw me out of the farm, said I was old enough to take care o' things on my own now..."Hilde explains while showing the paladin how to pluck the bird at her own firepit, the elf currently busying herself getting said fire in said pit going. "Been on the road ever since with Horse over there," she points to her gray and slightly dappled horse, apparently very uncreative about naming things. "I kinda miss it. By and large, the things I shot there were more delicious than goblins or brigands..."