New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: operation Mongoose

Spoiler
    Show
    If you hit AC 16 you can describe the damage; "Steve" has a little over 40 hp total so he's down a third more or less. Sandra has AC 19 and 28 hp.
    longsword - (1d20+6)[25], damage - (1d8+3)[9]
    longsword - (1d20+6)[24], damage - (1d8+3)[11]
    EDITED to add: wow Steve's doing great look at those rolls!!

"Steve" continues to dodge and then strike back with enormous speed, hitting Sandra twice more and getting slammed once in the process. Then "Steve" tries to throw its net at Sandra but the net remains in his hand. It repeats this action several times and gets "stuck".

Dwarf Engineer:
    Damn! The net problem again. Hang on a sec I can fix this.

Other Dwarf:
    You can't stop the fight. Forfeit! Forfeit!

Dwarf Engineer:
    Alright then, alright. Steve: don't use the net. No net!
    Maybe the left hand was damaged in that last slam?

Sandra is pretty badly cut up by the machine. These dwarves don't mess around with their games. Still surely in a friendly competition they don't let people just die?
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can go into a rage. You can get a free hit at "Steve" while it is trying and failing to throw the net (that would be the 5th round of the match). You can back off, stand down, forfeit the match or continue attacking for rounds beyond the 5th. You "win" if you can survive to round 10. Anyone else can pitch in and help but that would be the same as forfeiting.

Adalric re-appears while the fight is going on. He doesn't seem all that surprised to see it. He quietly addresses Eodrick in common.

Adalric:
    Bad news for you I'm afraid, Hound. It seems your prisoner has been pardoned. He was found innocent somehow. As a result the private bounty was dropped too and he is no longer a fugitive. I spoke with the Royal Archivist's assistant about it; the information is accurate.

And to Otto:
    It seems you are a free man.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-28 at 12:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eodrick

Eodrick wordlessly lets Otto go from the handcuffs, and waits outside the mill.
    He figures the others will realize the situation soon.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

3. - Top - End - #33

Default A gloating opportunity missed. For now.

Zan was focused on the beating Sandra had received just a bit too much for him to notice the fact that Otto had been pardoned. Just when things looked bad and he wanted to throw the fight in order to heal Sandra, the mechanical "Steve" had malfunctioned.

"Well... um.. th-that's a lucky break, a minor oversight?" However, he was breathing a sigh of relief now that Sandra had a chance.

He backed up a little, getting nearer to the table that he was originally sitting at. With tensions as high as this, it seemed like an opportunity to drink more of the particularly strong ale from his flask. Huh... maybe, if we stay here long enough, I could ask one of the more craftsman-like dwarves here what they could do with my scythe and the staff.... that would be a nice idea.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

4. - Top - End - #34

Otto is speechless for a moment and finally asks, "Did they find the real killer?" but Adalric just shakes his head, "I don't know. I don't know."

5. - Top - End - #35

Eodrick

Eodrick sits outside, his head in his hands, trying not to scream.
    He looks nearly sick. Dolan tries licking his face.

Damn, damn, damn, DAMN! My reputation is gone...I nearly turned over an innocent man, and the real murderer is probably still at large. And to make matters worse, I now have no way to make that payment on our house, and little Eodrick's college savings just took a big hit. Damn, damn, damn DAMN!
    Currently playing as:

6. - Top - End - #36

Eodrick
    OOC:
    This will be after everyone else leaves the mill. I'm posting early so I don't forget later. Also, I made up 'High Dwarvish" if that's ok.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eodrick waits for the others to come out.
    Then, when Otto comes to taunt him, he cuts him off, physically if need be. He whispers in Otto's ear, in Dwarvish--and in High Dwarvish, not the Low Dwarvish the river dwarves speak.
    Spoiler
    Show

Your name is cleared, and mine is blackened, I am sure you appreciate the irony.When the situation here is finished I will clear my name by finding your dead-armed man and bringing him to the King's justice. This will be on my own time, and on my own dime. You may assist if you wish.

Now I just need to speak with the Guildmaster. I can get a job here quickly, and perhaps still be able to make the payment on the house, if I can use some sort of mail carrier. That will be one less thing for Inga to worry about. I don't have time to find a new target. Junior's school savings will have to wait awhile longer.

OOC: NOTE: The dead-armed man was how Balthazar described his wife's killer, and Inga is Eodrick's mistress, and his son's mother. They aren't married, which is kind of a taboo.

Then he goes to Shiela.
    Now we begin looking for your father. I am sorry for the delay. While we walk to his shop we will discuss your father, so that I may know him better.

Then, in Common, to everyone.
    I am sure you have all been made aware of Otto's innocence. I assume he has proof of this in writing as well.
    I think it would be wise if we continued the face of calling him by his assumed name. I did not know of his innocence, or would not have tracked him of course, but that is not my point. My point is this, I am the best dwarven bounty hunter known. But there are bounty hunters, and I make no claims about being better than any human bounty hunts, halfling bounty hunters...or

He pauses, as if sickened, he pronounces the word "elven" with a note of derision.
    elven bounty hunters, should such a ridiculous thing exist. Anyway, my point, is that I am one of the best and I did not know his innocence, or that the bounty was cancelled. Therefore, there are likely other men on the trail, and the bounty was "Dead or Alive," and I am rare in my profession for preferring to bring targets in alive. Most simply shoot to kill, and take the loss.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-10-28 at 05:28 PM.
    Currently playing as:

7. - Top - End - #37

Fin and Shiela walk to follow Eodrick outside.

Fin, to Shiela:
    I don't understand the dwarven sense of honour I 'spose. Isn't this good news? He nearly took in an innocent man. And Otto -- or Balthazar -- he doesn't seem any happier either.

They listen to Eodrick's speech.

Fin:
    So... uh... lets go and see Sheila's dad's shop and perhaps you can catch stuff we missed there. The others can catch up.
    [hr]
    Back inside the mill the halting fight between Sandra and "Steve" continues. Meanwhile Adalric, just as Eodrick surmised, writes out a document for Otto, "I will also try to put the word out that there is no longer a warrant for your arrest."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra keeps fighting, she cries out after the next to swings and falls back. She was panting and bleeding a lot. She looks at the construct which had a huge dent in the head from her overhead swing, but nothing else. She shakes her head I guess I'm a little rusty from not having fought for a while. That thing also hits harder then I thought she stands there catching her breath as she looks at the machine. She never put her sword away or said she gave up, just studied it for a time.

Spoiler
    Show

Being at 2 HP doesn't help either
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

9. - Top - End - #39

Default This is....

Zan blinked sporadically when watching the fight, and was eventually forced to look down at the table. He hadn't understood why, though... each and every moment brought back more memories of this person, this Sandra, and she wasn't exactly a saint in their childhood.

Still, he had to wonder why he was so hard pressed to witness what, up to this point, could be essentially be called a beating for his old childhood... for lack of a better term, "friend". He still had any healing she'd need ready, and he trusted these dwarves enough not to let anybody be killed. That didn't stop the worrying, though.

Maybe... it's also guilt. I hate to admit this, but I haven't exactly been nice to her ever since she showed up, and that was even before she.... embarassed me. I can't hate her for something so trivial. That might be why I'm sort of cheering her on.... and that's also why I have to keep watching! He tightened the grip on his staff, looking down at it at a glance. It would have to behave here.

10. - Top - End - #40

Spoiler
    Show
    So in the fight with "Steve" it is Sanda's turn to strike 3 times. The 5th, 6th and 7th rounds of the fight. "Steve" misses the 5th round because of his net problem. Sandra's down to 2 hp but hasn't raged yet.
    "Steve": AC 16, BAB+6, dam:d8+3, HP:? about 30 left
    Sandra: AC 19, BAB+6, dam:2d6+3, HP:2 left

meanwhile.....
    Fin gives the address of the shop to Vlax and then he, Shiela and Eodrick go on ahead to the shop on Weaver Street. Eodrick takes note of the closed shutters on the shop. "Yes, the premises have been unoccupied at least two weeks" Sheila's dad's shop is on the second floor with access around the rear of the shop below it that has "street front". Shiela's dad apparently wasn't aiming at selling to the general public and his customers knew where he was. Up the stairs and through the door. Eodrick notes the broken lock. Fin explains, "There were some refugees squatting 'ere last night but they said they didn't break it."

There is no sign of the group of children and the woman from the night before.

Fin:
    Well your "guests" are gone Shiela. Did they take anything? Least they tidied up after thereselves.

The main room when you enter seems to be a workshop and where the tailor would meet with customers. Its a busy room with a lot of tailor paraphernalia around the sides of the room including some artwork, decorative nic-nacks, bolts of cloth and a couple of mannequins. Shiela checks over the room and quickly realises that the wooden case that her father always kept his expensive masterwork tools in is missing and also a large desk mounted magnifying glass he used for close work that used to be clamped to the desk, and his pipe and tobacco pouch.

Eodrick wanders about the room noting a large ledger that seems to list recent payments and services purchased, and also notices that there is an empty spot in a set of decorative thimbles that are mounted on the wall. The general feel of the room is one of neatness but there is a thin layer of dust. No dust where the thimble seems missing however.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hope I didn't godmode too much there. Not sure how to represent Eodrick's ability without "looking at the board" too much. Clearly he has techniques Shiela and Fin lack but at the same time Shiela almost certainly already did the obvious of going round the list of recent customers asking about her dad. It would be fine to proceed by saying "Eodrick investigates the evidence carefully and then sets out on the trail." and just roll for the skill use at least when you know what you're tracking... OTOH you can role play it all out from "clues" or something in between.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-29 at 08:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra notices the construct struggling with the net and then starts to breath harder. She was not going to let herself be beaten by this construct as she rages lifting the sword above her head and going for another downward smash. She then adds moving into the equation, running around Steve (for round 6) hoping to get the construct confused enough while she keeps up her defense for the time being, dragging her great sword behind her, setting up a second plan. She then cries out and lowers her defense to swing again when she makes another loop around the construct bringing the sword around to in front of her throwing it in a wide arc.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show

"Steve" hitting back on rounds 6 & 7.
    attack vs AC 21 - (1d20+6)[22], damage - (1d8+3)[7] (taking Sandra to 1hp)
    attack vs AC 17 - (1d20+6)[22], damage - (1d8+3)[5]
    "Steve" breaks out of the net throwing problem in time to clip Sandra as she is whirling and dodging. It reacts suddenly and with lightning speed. another lesser hit is enough to do it for Sandra, although "Steve" has taken considerable damage during the fight too.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-29 at 11:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra was running and grunts when the sword hits her causing her shield to drop down getting a hit on her back. When she swings for the last time she was able to get a sizable dent into the side of the construct before his next blow knocks her out. She falls to the floor and slides a little from her forward momentum. She laid there not moving as far as anyone could see.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

14. - Top - End - #44

Adalric:
    Quickly now, she is a beserker so she must be healed and not merely stabilised before the rage expires!

15. - Top - End - #45

Default Oh Boccob, you have a most cruel humor!

Zan was the first to rush forward and kneel over Sandra, setting the staff down before his knees. He drew out his holy symbol, focusing.

"H-how.. I j-j-just kn..." He swallowed the tension in his throat before trying to go on. "Sandra, hold on. I'm h-here..." He spoke softly, but also with an unusual gentleness that complimented his softsoken manner.

"Cure Light Wounds!" He had his hands carefully over her to heal her, completely zoned out from his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d8+3)[11]
    I can follow this up with somewhat long-term heal checks to maybe keep a first-aid watch on Sandra?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra wakes up slowly and groans a little. She looks around, then sees the construct standing there. She wasn't in that good of shape, but she forced herself to stand up Well, looks like Steve is tougher then he looks she starts walking off without paying attention to anyone. As she neared the door her eyes were starting to water as the defeat was bitter for her. She was heading for anyplace that looked quite and secluded, most likely on the outskirts of town where not that many people traveled.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

17. - Top - End - #47

Default H-hey! This is bad..

Zan turned to the table where all the dwarves had been sitting, knowing that they could have at least helped him with either furthering his knowledge on River Dwarf culture, or maybe make a modification that he had in mind. However, he looked back at Sandra walking off, then once again to the occupants of the building.

"I... um, I'll be right back."

Zan ran off after Sandra, knowing that she could probably outrun her... but he wanted to appeal to her, make her not run off.

"S-Sandra, wait! I was wondering if I could c-come."

18. - Top - End - #48

The river dwarves for the most praise Sandra for a good fight with courage and no backing down, dwarf like. There is a good deal of chatter and money exchanges hands. The engineer tells his machine to stand down and starts examining the damage. Sandra regains consciousness immediately upon Zan's use of healing magic and leaves the mill with Zan after her.

Adalric, to Victor, Amethyst, Otto and Vlax:
    Your friend has a very distinctive and interesting sword style. Please stop by again if you want to have a re-match. He hands Victor a potion, "for her injuries".

Vlax:
    Well, Otto I think we should get back to the guildhouse now.

They leave the mill too. Victor and Amethyst are wondering whether to follow Zan and Sandra or go to the Tailors' shop.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks back at Zan Leave me alone. it was clear that she was about to start crying, she still kept walking away despite the fact she was still badly injured, and in no shape to fight off anyone else unless she was healed some more.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

20. - Top - End - #50

Default I'm not backing down this time.

Spoiler
    Show

I had forgotten to mention that Zan uses up his "Inflict light wounds" in order to cast "Cure light wounds". I'll change it on my sheet soon enough.

Zan sighed, and tried to step up to be alongside Sandra.
    "Are you c-crying over your loss? I would have b-been utterly killed!" He used his staff for a walking stick to ease the strain of running. "A loss is always ups-setting, but it isn't the end of the world! Y-you haven't disgraced yourself in the guild's eyes or anything..."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks at him I only hit the thing twice. I was swinging around like a crazy woman and I only made contact twice. Not only that I didn't manage to dodge and of it's hits. If it was a real battle I would be dead right now. she wipes her eyes, she had not started crying yet, just tearing up for now.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

22. - Top - End - #52

Default An unusual mark of shame. What a downer....

Zan put his head down when he listened to Sandra's words.

"Um... well, maybe you haven't r-recovered from some stress of the past. Am I right?" He lifted his head again and looked at her, somewhat guilty at the harsh treatment he had been giving her.

"M-maybe a change of subject... you left home after I d-did, right?" I was meaning to ask you... well, a few things."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra wasn't to thrilled about the way the conversation was going. She stops when he talks about when she left I left when I was thirteen. My father had made a deal for me to become a noble woman's body guard, well I was picked to join the military because of my speed and other abilities. After that I went home to an angry father and a upset mother. she walks over to a tree on the edge of town and sits down facing away from the city. Home is just not what I remember it to be. You were gone, most of my friends were going to be getting married or had left, my parents were upset and angry. she sighs and looks down That defeat was just not that good for me.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

24. - Top - End - #54

Default Clears one thing up....

Zan sat down next to her, now just as morose as she was.

"... Oh..." At first, it seemed to be the best he could manage, but he pulled out the ever-familiar flask and took a few sips from it, trying to regain some confidence. "Um, okay... twelve... yeah, that was about a y-year after I left. I've been gone about four years. You were just twelve when I l-left..."

He grinned up at the sky, trying to take an upward turn to the conversation. "You w-were just a little kid, but looking at you now, it's h-hard to remember that you're so much younger than I am." His expression returned to a neutral one as he looked out to the scene of the surrounding area.

"K-K-Keopara must be changing, just like the rest of the world. As l-long as I get to visit it soon, I can at least keep it in my m-mind..."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra nods It has changed from when I left. I didn't spend that much time catching up with other people. I was only there for a few weeks before leaving again. wiping her eyes she pulls out a flask of her own, but she had hot tea in her's.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

26. - Top - End - #56

Eodrick

To Shiela
    Well, I think that between your knowledge of your father, Dolan's nose...well, to an extent, he's a sight hound. Anyway, between you, the dog, and some of our other friends I think we have a good team to find your father.

Now, there are two ways we can do this, I have a preference and it is the way I usuaully do things, but it's your father that's missing not mine.

Now, what I'd like to do is take a few days to follow down all the leads we can and decide which is the best one. My method will take a few days, probably about a week. Maybe a little longer. It's a very organized, consistent method and it's what I always do when I'm on the trail.

The second option is to be a little sloppier and quicker, and hope we get lucky. That has a chance of taking less time because of sheer dumb luck, but it also has the chance of taking longer, or not at all.

I'd prefer the first option, but it's up to you.
    Currently playing as:

27. - Top - End - #57

Default Well, that's enough.

Zan stood up shakily, making sure everything that he had was in check. He smelled tea of some sort into the flask that Sandra produced, drawing a slight paralell to their drinking habits... only his was 'somewhat' alcoholic.

"Well, we can't focus so much on the past. Let's get b-back... I bet, well, everybody's f-forgotten about it."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks down for a moment You go ahead. I'm going to sit here a little longer. she curls up and wraps her arms around her legs. She doesn't move until after Zan left, and then she got out her sword and started practicing her swings and other things.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving along...
    The rest of the Mongoose team eventually turns up at Sheila's dad's shop on Weaver Street. Eodrick organises them into groups to chase up on any of the leads he can spot from a close examination of the premises. Fin is sent to try and find the Khornis refugees from the night before and others to check once again on some of the recent customers listed in Sheila's dad's ledger.

Eventually Eodrick determines that the refugees were probably nothing to do with Sheila's dad's disappearance and deduces that they were not responsible for breaking the door to the shop or taking some of the items. Based on what the refugees say Eodrick figures someone must have come to the shop probably two or three nights ago, two weeks after the tailor's original disappearance, broken in and taken some items belonging to the tailor. His masterwork tools and some personal items. Following this fresher scent Eodrick works through the night and Dolan manages to track the trail to the Eastern suburbs of Bridgeport and a small town called Flintby which joins seamlessly to Bridgeport on the East.

The next morning back at the Guildhall, Eodrick checks how the others got on and finds that one of the customers had an address in Flintby. It turns out that Fin is familiar with the town from his days as a professional cage fighter since the fights were held out towards Flintby. Eodrick asks questions including about the customer, where they are located, about the local industry and whether weaving is common there (no) and some other general questions.

Team Mongoose heads out after breakfast to Flintby. Eodrick asks some of the locals about suspicious comings and goings and gets a lead that directs the group to the Red Robin inn, a pub that was closed down about a month ago, one of Fin's old haunts from his fighter days in fact. Apparently there has been a lot of coming and going from the pub but no word of it re-opening under new management.

30. - Top - End - #60

Eodrick

Hm, I would not have expected our trail to have gone here, but sometimes things are strange.

Spoiler
    Show

Oops. got busy.
    The take 20 option works.
    Currently playing as: