New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default DREAD - Damnum Fatale (THE SEARCH)

FURY STUNTS
    A reminder as to how you can spend your fury. Remember, go nuts on it, you can get it back by completing secondary objectives (minimize collateral damage and save as many people as you can).

HARDCORE (1) - Recover one point of life. Can be done as many times as you wish.

KILL SHOT (1) - Roll one extra die. Can only spent one point at a time.

SECOND CHANCE (1) - Reroll, but only if first roll was a failure.

**** PUNCH (2) - Describe a sneaky, underhanded maneuver. Player gets Director's highest die.

SUICIDE RUN (2) - Describe a futile gesture that's pretty much guaranteed to fail. Roll 2 dice and add the values.

CLUSTER**** (2) - Describe a desperate plan that's will probably put you in the hospital if not in a grave. Roll a single die against Director's lowest die.

BULLSEYE (2) - Roll an automatic 12, doesn't apply to Combat or Spell rolls.

MIDDLE WAYNE (3) - Describe a brutal, merciless maneuver worthy of a serial killer. Roll two extra dice, and damage is taken by target even if Director wins roll.

BOHICA (3) - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. Describe a maneuver so foolhardy and dangerous that it leaves the Disciple grievously wounded. Brings you down to 1 life or 0 if you only had 1 to begin with. Director only rolls one die, damage doubled if hit.

THE SITUATION
    7:43 A.M. - 10/13/08
    You nod to the others in the Warlock as they rev up the car and drive away. As a Disciple, each goodbye may be the last...you've gotten used to it over the months, but the sound of tires fading away into the distance is still a grim reminder that you guys are on your own, for now.

The sound of the rain sounds like a million little hammers smacking the cement, and silent lightning briefly illuminates the sky. For a moment, the crime scene is clear. There is a gaping hole in the floor and about a dozen or so figures in various positions around it, two cop cars parked haphazardly nearby. Law enforcement. This will be tricky.

The three of you slowly approach the crime scene. The sound of the rain and early morning fog conceal your approach, and you won't be seen until you're in about twenty feet of the actual crime scene. Violence against the law would be unwise...let's hope to avoid it.

There are a bunch of uniforms, but you spot a trenchcoat talking to a suit holding a clipboard. They're the important ones, the detectives or the investigators.
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-10 at 09:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

RogueGuy

Default Re: DREAD - Damnum Fatale (Brandon/Cherry/Ox)

Brandon

ooc - im guessing you will tell us when to go back to the other thread?

ooc - when we spend fury does it give us an extra action? Like is the suicide run thing an extra action. something like "oh ****, my shot missed, im gonna suicide run and do X"

Brandon feels to check the knot holding the coat closed. Wouldn't want it to open up and show off all of his toys to the nice officers now would he.

Before getting to close, Brandon quietly says

My magic is more for blowing up demons and I'm not exactly a great talker. If worse comes to worse though I might be able to do something.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

3. - Top - End - #3

OOC: Alright, from now on I'm going to give twelve hours or so between updates if the others haven't posted. If they still haven't posted by then, then I will update regardless. Sorry about the wait DJ.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

No worries, i figure the average person will regularly only be able to check in once in a day.

I'm able to do it so quickly because I'm off for a week and just sitting around playing Dead Space.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

5. - Top - End - #5

Cherry and Ox nod, and the three of you approach the crime scene directly.

The man in the trench coat quickly notices your presence and walks over. "Stop. This is a federal crime scene, no civilians allowed." he says in a cold, impersonal tone.

6. - Top - End - #6

RogueGuy

*ooc*

I'm under the impression that Cherry or OX has something that can handle this, so im gonna give them some time to post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

OOC: Ox can fight, not much more, she has a police uniform at home, but no badge so it can only be used for pleasure not work :(

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

ooc well if cherry cant do anything I might have to blow all my spells on burgeon to be likeable enough to get us in :)

9. - Top - End - #9

OOC: well, i've got empathy ranks, but i don't know if it will be enough. i do, however have my homemade explosives, and i can use them for a distraction. i'll try and talk us in first, but if that fails, we should go around the corner and set off something to draw their attention away.

"We understand sir, but we're correspondents sent in on this case. We need to get in." Cherry quickly explains. God, I hope this works.

OOC: okay, what do i need to roll?
    Last edited by bored_teen; 2008-10-23 at 03:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

ooc - in an attempt to help and assist Cherry (3 reporters without cameras or press badges trying to get past police lines :P )

Our editor just told us that if we don't get something exclusive, like a first hand report of what the damage down their looks like, he's going to fire our asses.

11. - Top - End - #11

OOC: Well, you have to roll your Empathy score, which is 2. Therefore you roll two d12s, separately, using the forum roller. Also go ahead and expend fury if you want...this is a pretty far fetched situation, so something like Bullseye, Kill Shot, or Second Chance might help.

12. - Top - End - #12

OOC: ok, so i'm going to use Bullseye, as it's an instant 12. Suicide Run sounded like it'd be funny to use in this situation, but i'd rather not take the chance of failure. It's two points of Fury either way.

Continuing, Cherry continues to try and convince the man to let them in. "Yeah dude, and I really need to keep this job." He runs his fingers through his hair and a genuine look of panic falls over his countenance. "I've got three kids at home, and my wife is sort of accustomed to eating." A sheepish grimace spreads on his face and he giggles nervously. A pleading look comes into his eyes as he pleads with the man. "Please, you've got to let us in."

OOC: Yes, I realize that Cherry is 17, that's what makes the three kids and a wife so outrageous.

13. - Top - End - #13

The detective lowers his tone, and his voice takes on some authentic emotion. "I'm sorry gentlemen, I really am, but this is a federal case. I'm not authorized to give you entrance, and there's to be no press coverage."

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

ooc - gonna use burgeon here for something diplomatic

I feel for you, I really do. Brandon says, doing the best he can to sound sincere. The problem is though, that as a member of the press, I have to report on things like this.I only have two options, one is to go down their with my colleagues get down in there, snap a few photos and write a stupid article, without naming any names of course. OR we go back to our paper and have a front page story about some sort of government cover up that is causing us to be denied our rights. Now, personally I'd rather just go on there and get this stuff done with and I think you would to. Because you see, if I have to write about the government denying reporters to a crime scene and a federal cover up, well within 2 hours your going to have every major press outlet in this city down here asking questions. It would really be better for both of us this way.

(d12)[5]
    (d12)[6]
    (d12)[8]
    (d12)[8]
    (d12)[10]

15. - Top - End - #15

OOC: Alright, so I'm gonna assume that you're trying to use Intimidation, which you have a skill of 2 in, but you casted Burgeon, so you get six die extra, which means you roll eight die. You only rolled five. Roll three more. Target difficulty 12.

This is a tough roll, good luck. Remember, if you relate it to your Drive, you get an extra die. If you make it cool, you get another die. And you can always use Fury. Second Chance wouldn't work here, but Bullseye or Kill Shot would.

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

(d12)[9]
    (d12)[3]
    (d12)[4]

i cant relate this to my drive i dont think,

can i use a bullseye? or is that combat only?

if this doesnt work i say we back off and come up witha plan

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

ooc - If i can do a bullseye I use it.

Brandon pulls out his phone and dials his voice mail
    Your not going to believe this boss, theirs some weird stuff going on and they are trying to claim the press can't get in . . . . . yeah I know, get a quick blurb onto the AP and start calling the other outlets to see if they know about this yet . . .

18. - Top - End - #18

"Okay, okay, put that damned thing away!" exclaims the detective with an unhappy sigh. "You're in. But be quick, and DON'T TOUCH any of the evidence. You have fifteen minutes."

OOC: Yup. Bullseye only applies to Attribute and Skill rules, as in this case. So you used it.

19. - Top - End - #19

RogueGuy

Brandon

All smiles and "you bet buddies" Brandon leads the group towards the entrance.

20. - Top - End - #20

There are cops everyone, milling about with clipboards or taking pictures. There are a couple men and women in black jackets with RCMP emblazoned on the back. They're the crime scene investigators, the evidence takers. The scene itself is...not what you expected.

There is a gaping hole in the cement, its edges jagged and broken, but no sign of an explosion. There are no char marks, no blackened cement, and no debris save for bits of crumbled pavement lying about. It looks like an explosion had went off underground and blew a hole out of the ground...but there was nothing indicating an explosion, save the hole itself.

Looking into the hole reveals a fetid mess of filthy sewage water rushing quickly by. There is a little platform rising out of the water, build of what seems like sewage and garbage, a little island amidst the filthy river. By the base of the island lies the dead body of the slain maintenance man.

His face has been ravished by something...it looks as if someone had ran barbed wire around his face, lacerating it to threads. His chest has several massive puncture marks in it, little pieces of flesh torn out. Blood seeps from his body, tainting the sewage red.

On top of the little island lies a pile of what appears to be human bones, clothes, and belongings, all covered in a sticky mucus. The bones are all incomplete, but there have to be the remains of at least fifteen people here. What's particularly strange is that the bones appear to be half-dissolved.

The other thing of interest is what truly sets this apart from a regular crime scene...near the ceiling of the sewage pipe, directly above the pile of bones and clothing, is a roughly man-sized wad of white-blue stringy mucus. It is a crude oval in shape and bulges far out, but is torn on one side. It was hollow at some point...in fact, it reminds you of a butterfly chrysalis.

Obtaining evidence will be hard what with the heavy police presence and the twitchy, now uncomfortable detective.

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

Brandon

Brandon whistles when he sees the hole.

Holy *&%$ with pants on.

(ooc Brandon is making a mental list of all the things he needs to get for the next mission so as not to have such issues)

Is there a way he can jump down? and exactly how closely are they being watched?

22. - Top - End - #22

No doubt you'd fit in, but the cops wouldn't take to kindly to you jumping down without their permission.

You're not being stared at, but there's cops within about five feet of you. The detective is a little nervous and steals glances at the three of you every now and then. You might be able to quickly grab a piece of evidence and shove it in your pocket, but other than that...

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

ooc

Do we think we just want a sample of the stuff down there or do we actually see area to get in and explore and . . . hunt

24. - Top - End - #24

OOC: Think what you want. Ask your group in character.

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

ooc - I'm asking more of a "what does my character know that I don't know" sort of thing. Would I, being a disciple, think it was necessary to get in there and explore or is getting a sample the normal thing?

Brandon motions to Ox and Cherry "We need to get in there, we are going to need a distraction of some sort. Any ideas? I don't want to blow anything up, but we might need a little boom boom a few blocks away. Please tell me though that someone has a better idea."
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2008-10-24 at 12:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

OOC: Oh, alright. Well the normal procedure would be to get some evidence, leave, and have someone trained in Lore try to identify the demon before tracking it down. But if you personally think that whatever it is is still hiding in the sewers, you might want to go after it pronto.

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

ooc - K. how deep is the hole, if someone managed to get in there unseen would they be free to move around for a few moments, ie is anyone other than us looking into the hole.

ooc - Can i use eloign to get into and out of the whole? can I "attack" the "chrysalis" to get a piece of it?

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

ooc - one more thing, is dresden an obvious spell to cast? If Cherry used Dresden would everyone know it was him or if we all rolled around would the assume whatever the hell was happening was happening to us as well.

29. - Top - End - #29

OOC: The hole is an opening into a large sewage pipe, so if you get in, you can probably book it down the pipe. Won't be too quiet though, less you can splash through water quietly. You can use Eloign to get into the hole, but not out of. You can, however, probably bend down and scrape off a piece of the chrysalis, since it's within arm's reach. Dresden can be cast without them knowing it's you or what's going on. Bit harsh though, for cops, but it won't harm them...hehehe.

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

ooc - mostly for game knowledge. Can i tell ox to get into a quiet area where no one can see him, within 100 feet, elogin into the hole for the sample then eloign out into a punch in the face on him :)