New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Twilight of the World [IC]

The City of Nyírbátor, a sprawling metropolis, heart and mind of the Human Empire of Elysium, one of the three major powers in the known world. Human because of it's rulers, an ancient Royal Family of noble blood and great leaders. The ruler is human, but the Empire is open to all. Only the orcs, who were banished long ago from the civilized lands, have no freedom; in the Inner Seas they are either dead or working as slaves.

It is in the heart of the Elysium Empire that you stand, for one reason or another. Maybe it was destiny that led you to this city, or it could have been just by chance. Some are here on business, others are just passing through. What matters is that you are on the city, and as the Sun sets on the horizon, you all move to an Inn to get some rest for the night. Coincidentaly, it is the same Inn.

The Crawling Dragon Inn is located near one of the biggest plazas of the city, where everyday happens a huge market with wares from across the islands. It is one of the most renowned inns in the city, and sometimes even nobles attend to it's services. The Inn is a big, three-stories tall building, towering over one of the roads that cross the city. Above the Inn's entrance door, there is a great sign with the head of a dragon, and the writings, in golden ink, of "The Crawling Dragon". Inside there is a great room, with two burning fireplaces, one in each side. There are several tables scattered around the fireplaces, and a great balcony opposite to the entrance door. From the entrance's point of view, to the right of the balcony there are the stairs leading to the second and third floors, and to the left is a door, leading to the kitchen, probably. To the left there is also a great board, with papers and notes attached to it. However, you can't read any of them unless you get closer.

Behind the bar is an old human man, probably around his fourties, cleaning some glasses. He is tall, and has a muscled body; he probably was from the military of the city. He has black hair and a large, black beard. A scar crosses the place where his left eye should be, and his remaining eye is brown colored. Two young human girls work taking the customer's orders and delivering it to them.

As the first of you enters the Inn, there are a few tables free, and also space on the balcony where you could sit. Of course you could also go directly and ask for a room, but you feel hungry, and the meals of the Crawling Dragon are widely known in the city to be as best as you can get from an Inn...

Spoiler
    Show

Yes yes, I know, starting on an Inn, what a dull thing. However, trust me, it's better this way. Roleplay the order you post as the order you enter the Inn. Blockhead, Darus may be with the other dwarves of the caravan or not, it is your choice. It's also your choice if the bussiness was completed already or not.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Twilight of the World [IC]

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge and a group of 3 other dwarves entered the Inn loudly, trading jokes and laughing as they walked up to the bar. "4 of your finest ales barkeep!" Requested Hammerforge, hopping up onto one of the bars stools, as did his dwarven companions.

Just minutes ago a customer had purchased the entire stock of copper ore for a small fortune of gold pieces and the dwavern caravan had decided to celebrate with a drink and a warm bed before heading back to the mines the next day.

Sure enough, 4 clay cups appeared in front of the dwarves and each took a hearty swig of the alcoholic brew. Tonight was going to be fun.
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-10-26 at 08:20 PM.
    I drew this line myself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther quietly entered the inn and stood to the side of the entrance for a moment taking in the details and atmosphere of the room. He had never been to such a crowded place before. After a while he noticed the note board and skimmed its contents out of curiosity. He then made his way to the counter to pay for a room and ordered a plate of whatever the most popular dish was. Finally he walked towards the dwarfs and seeing that they were in a good mood asked "May I sit with you men? I'm new around here and would like to meet some people that know their way around."

4. - Top - End - #4

Arkturus Astamir

As the night progresses, the door opens once more. A girl steps in, head low. She must be some servant of some kind, hurrying to the bar and whispering to the innkeeper a few words. She then looks around, watching everyone else and giving a courteous smile to anyone looking her way. The innkeeper then returns to the bar and smiles, asking for her name in the registry and she gladly signs. She then asks for a separate table, for two, it seems, and sits down in utter silence, gazing on the dwarves and the human.

"I hope this is alright.." She says, muttering.

Then the door opens once more, almost violently. A tall Elf of some kind, from what you can tell by his manners. He has a very white skin and purple eyes, trademarks of the High Elven. He wears some kind of silken vest and a red coat of scalemail that drops to his knees. At his side, a short sword and what seems to be a whip. He gazes coldly on the others, almost as if measuring them, weighing them with a simple look and finally turns his attention to the girl.

"Well? Are our rooms reserved? And dinner?"
    "Both done as requested, lord."
    "Very well, then. Go to your room as soon as you are done."
    "Well, uh. There was a slight problem, lord. I could only reserve one room. The rest was taken. Lord, if that inconveniences you, I can find another inn."

The High Elf sighs and waves his hand dismissively.

"No. That is fine. We shall share that room then."

The elf then starts eating his dinner, keeping a close eye on the loud bunch of dwarves and the peculiar human. As for the girl, she seems simply delighted, eating happily as the night progresses.
    A Revenant

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tellan Etara

Tellan sits in a corner, in the throws of one of his rare bouts of thought. He observes the various people in the tavern, trying to determine each ones thoughts and motivations. He enjoyed, like many dark elves, the noise and bustle of crowded places. This was made slightly more difficult since he was the only Dark Elf in the place and he didn't really know what signs he should be looking for. The harsh squawk of Tai'Maquilloc's voice breaks through his thoughts. "I don't know why you bother with all of this. You have no talent for it, certainly. For instance...take that High Elf that just walked in. He's a dangerous one, he is, because he doesn't see his actions in a normal light. You never know when someone like that will do something very stupid." Tellan sighs and nods Tai to show that he heard, since the uncouth being would never stop pestering him until he did. And talking generally drew stares from confused people at the strange Dark Elf who talked to himself. Tellan turns and bites into his now cold food.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-10-27 at 05:09 PM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

As Uther reads through the board, he notices that it is full of job requests. After paying for his room and his meal, he aproaches the dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show

The ninjaing has been undone. :B
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-10-27 at 10:51 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    "May I sit with you men? I'm new around here and would like to meet some people that know their way around."
    Hammerforge laughed and said: "Of course, come join our celebrations!" As the man sat down, Hammerforge slapped him on the back. "Barkeep! Another round of ale for me and my friends!" Hammerforge gestured to the 3 dwarves and the man. This time 5 cups appeared and Hammerforge chugged the ale down quickly. "So you're new here? What brings you to this fine city? Me and my dwarven friends come here every few moons to sell our crafts and ores. And tonight we did just that!" The company of dwarves cheered, banged their cups together and drank their brews. "That reminds me! Oresmith, book us a room for the night!" Said Hammerforge to one of the dwarves. While the dwarf was busy signing himself and his friends into the Inn for the night, Hammerforge turned to the man. "So, what brings you here then?"

The party of dwarves either hadn't noticed or didn't care about the other guests in the tavern, they were too busy drinking.
    I drew this line myself

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    AH! You ninja'd me there!
    I drew this line myself

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther

"I've come to this city as part of beginning a journey to explore the world. I've lived in a small community my whole life and haven't seen much of what ordinary people have. Even a large city like this is quite new to me. Do you ever travel far to sell your wares? I'm hoping to find some companions to accompany me. I think I'll try to sell my services to a caravan or do some odd jobs since it looks like there's quite a lot of help needed." Uther motioned to the board covered in notes for a moment as he finished speaking.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge listened to what the man had to say. "I see. I rarely travel that far, only the distance between a mine and a major city. Sometimes the many caravans I accompany will travel further than I, but I myself never travel far." Hammerforge finished his second round and gently placed the cup on the wooden bar. "You are most welcome to accompany us back to the mines, although unless you want to mine and smith with us, there's little we can offer you besides companionship. By the way, my name is Darus Hammerforge. This is Wrick Bentsword, Romgon Mithrilaxe and Jonas Oresmith." Hammerforge gestured to his companions. "And you are...?"
    I drew this line myself

11. - Top - End - #11

Arkturus Astamir

The elf gazes on the group of dwarves and the human in silence. Yet his eyes are generally moving to a strange dark elf in the corner of the room that seemed like he was talking to himself. The violet eyes of the man sizes him up, his posture, his physical attributes, and with a look to Faëra, he simply gets up from the table, striding towards Tellan.

His eyes look deeply into him as he comes to rest his hands on the table. Then says in a hushed voice:

"I've never before heard of someone that talks to himself in my entire life, at least, not without being a crazed being, but I can see your eyes don't plead insanity." The violet eyes of the Elf become intense as he talks, occasionally looking at the space around Tellan. "Or could it be that there is more than meets the eye, perhaps you could tell me more?"

Invisibility..? or is this, something else..?

"My name is Arkturus of the High Elven and I aim to study the Arcane Arts. Perhaps you could enlighten me, I dearly value any piece of knowledge of this kind."
    A Revenant

12. - Top - End - #12

Tellan Etara

Tellan raised his eyebrows in surprise. "What do you mean? I didn't say anything." how ironic... "Don't trust your senses so much. They might lead you astray. Oftentimes the answer is not complex or subtle. Plenty of times it's totally obvious." He taps his forehead. "Everything is all up here." He shrugs. "By the way, the name's Tellan."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-10-27 at 05:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Dorizzit, please start your posts with your character name in bold. Gentlemen, I'll ask for you to roleplay between yourselves a little. (You don't need to force conversation between each other, if you don't want to. Don't worry about forming a party now, that will be arranged later).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther briefly looked a bit surprised. "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Uther Ulridge." A moment later Uther peered past the dwarf's shoulder to look at the two elves that had started talking. The pale one that rose from his seat didn't look too friendly when he had entered and his abrupt movement towards the other made him a little worried. The fact that they were of two distinctly different peoples didn't help ease Uther's mind either. "I wonder what is going on there between those two elves. The one standing up seems threatening. I think there might be some kind of dispute."
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-10-27 at 05:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"A fight?!" Cried Wrick Bentsword, eagerly hopping down from his stool. The inhabitants of the tavern briefly looked at him. "Settle down Bentsword, our friend is merely making an observation. Besides a good drink will settle any dispute." Hammerforge suddenly grasped his belly and belched loudly. "Ooo, I reckon a hot piece of lamb will see us all off to bed! You are most welcome to join us young Ulbridge, for the lamb of course." He said as he and his dwarven companions made their way over to a table that had just become available.

A few moments later a waitress appeared. "Can I take your order?" Mithrilaxe spoke: "Aye lass. A plater of roasted lamb for us, anything for the young Ulbridge?"
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-10-27 at 05:32 PM.
    I drew this line myself

16. - Top - End - #16

Arkturus Astamir

"My.. senses?" The High Elf looks dubiously at his black-skinned kin. He ponders for a second, then grabs a seat. He then draws his short sword from its scabbard and the metal sliding against metal rings across the room, with that, he stabs it into the wood of the table and hails one of the waitresses.

"Waitress! Wine and a roasted chicken, if you please."

He then sits at Tellan's table, watching him.

"So everything is up there, huh? I would say that it is a foregone conclusion. What are you doing around these parts, Tellan?"
    A Revenant

17. - Top - End - #17

Tellan Etara

Tellan snorts. Theatrical, much? He shrugs. "Not much. I mostly do odd jobs and wander. I was separated from my clan a while back, and I've been trying to get enough to buy boat fair back home since I got here. I figure there should be some work that needs doin' here in the capital."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-10-27 at 05:56 PM. Reason: I need to remember to add in that title!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

"I'll have a serving of lamb as well. I think I'll retire to my room after this meal."

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

A moment later a hot hunk of lamb meat on a silver platter was placed in the centre of the table with a large knife sticking out of the top. Plates and cutlery soon arrived. Hammerforge grabbed the knife and began cutting the lamb into 5 equal amounts, placing them on the provided plates. The 5 began eating when Hammerforge asked: "So young Ulridge, have any tales to regale our kindred spirits with?" "He means have you got any good stories to tell." Said Oresmith. The Dwarves chuckled.
    I drew this line myself

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

The night goes on, the group of dwarves and Uther eating and having fun while telling stories, and the two elves on a corner of the Inn talking. However, the loud general noise of the great room is stopped for a moment when the door is suddenly opened, with a brutality far superior than that when Arkturus entered. Then, everyone freezed. Some got up to their knees, some even unsheated their weapons.

From the doorway entered a young human man clad in platemail, with a longsword sheated by his side and holding a great scroll with the Imperial Sign. As the man entered the inn, guards flooded from the sides, taking positions all across the room. At least three guards blocked every way outside; the stair, the kitchen door and the main doors. Each guard wore a chainmail armor with the Imperial Sign, and held halberds. They also had longswords sheated to their belts, in case of need.

As the guards took their places, the young man, seemingly a captain or some kind of officer, took out the scroll and started reading, in a clear and loud voice.

"By this Imperian Decree that I hold in my hands, you are all under arrest for the crimes of High Treason and Conspiracy against the Emperor. Each and every one of you will be led to be interrogated. For those of you that are thinking on resisting, I warn you that lethal force will be used. I cannot guarantee that you will leave this room alive if you try to escape. If you are innocent, just tag along and this will soon be over."

The man seems to be displeased to be doing this, but his tone and face are serious. He seems to be confident, however, that no one will resist, because he doesn't show any sign of reaching for his weapon.

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

A look of surprise and confusion swept over Hammerforge. "Can't we all settle this with a drink?" Seeing the Guard's expression was serious and not one for taking jokes easily, Hammerforge nodded and casually approached the guards. "I and my dwarven kin offer no resistance, we have nothing to hide and hold no hatred to the Emperor." For whatever reason Bentsword belched. "Well, except the fact that we've had two rounds." Said Hammerforge with a smile. "But I'm sure you're aware that dwarven drunkenness is non-existant.
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-10-27 at 08:30 PM.
    I drew this line myself

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther stepped forward and moved beside Darus. "I don't have anything against the Emperor either and I'll go along peacefully. The sooner this is all sorted out the better."

23. - Top - End - #23

Arkturus Astamir

As the man entered violently, Arkturus had already drawn his sword and hopped backwards towards Faëra's table. The young girl gets close to her master's back and the High Elven violet eyes gaze on the captain of the guards. He glares at the men surrounding the room with a cold gaze.

He listens as the man states that they were all under arrest for suspicion of high treason. Knowing full well he couldn't possibly be committing high treason, it had to be something like Conspiracy against the crown.

"I have no allegiance to your king or this land, and so you will judge me only on the grounds of conspiracy against your emperor. This girl here is my servant and I will follow you to clear the charges pressed against us. This is a mistake, and I'll have whomever sent out those ridiculous charges left with nothing but shame."

And Faëra gives a simple nod, staying behind Arkturus' back.
    A Revenant

24. - Top - End - #24

Tellan Etara

Tellan shrugs. Knowing full well that he hasn't done anything, he decides it's a better idea to just go with them. As soon as other people make a move to get up, he does as well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The man seems relieved that no one is trying to resist, as he sighs and closes the scroll.

"Very well, then. Arrest every one of them."

The guards move in, and start putting manacles and blindfolds on everyone, including the tavern owner. They don't take anything from you, but you are not in a position to resist anything anymore, fully constrained. Then the guards start moving people out of the inn, and lead you into the night.

After walking in the dark for what seemed like hours, you finally stop, and your blindfolds are removed. You four are now in a prision cell, along with Faëra and the innkeeper. Darus was separated from his dwarven companions. Two guards stand alert by the prision's door, and a third one is removing your blindfolds, but leaving your manacles. "The captain will soon come to talk to you, don't worry. I'm sorry, but you'll have to stay restrained for a while." - The guard says, strangely polite, and then leaves together with the other guards, closing the cell door behind him.

The place is dark, with only a small window in the far top of the room to let the moonlight enter. It is a small, stone room, and the door is made of metal. There is nothing much of interesting in the cell.

"Dammit." - The innkeeper starts to talk, annoyed, seemingly to himself - "This will be bad for bussiness, very bad. I'll ask for a compensation, oh yes I will."

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"Calm down lad. I'm sure we'll be out of here, free men and women, in no time." Said Hammerforge, trying to remain positive. "Bentsword, Mithrilaxe, Oresmith, are you there?" He called out, trying to see if his companions were in an adjacent cell.
    I drew this line myself

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

You hear a distant answer, one of the voices of your fellow dwarves. You can recognize as being one of your comrades, but cannot manage to understand what he is saying, the door and the walls are too thick to let sound pass so easily.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther looked over at the two elves. "Hello, my name is Uther and this here is Darus. We've only just met today at the inn. If you don't mind me asking, what are your names?"

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge coughed. "Because you're new to the world, I must inform you that dwarves are usually called by their last name as a sign of respect to their family. But since you have probably never met a dwarf before I will take no offence." He said. "I am Darus Hammerforge, noble smith and craftsman." He bowed.
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-10-28 at 03:15 PM.
    I drew this line myself

30. - Top - End - #30

Tellan Etara

Tellan places his hands behind his head, and crosses his legs, leaning against a wall. His posture is relaxed and unworried. "Pleased to meet ya. The name's Tellan."