New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 4E shape the game

Soveliss

Soveliss thanks the farmer for his hospitality. "Master Mikali, I insist you take the mattress. You've been through enough, no need to be all sore from the floor. We'll be fine on the floor, we're used to roughing it." What the Nine Hells, Flint. I'm not the diplomat, you are. I get us into trouble, you get us out of it. Hope he's feeling well.

Calling the others in from outside for dinner, Soveliss eats, chatting amiably with Mikali. When he seems in a good mood, the elf broaches the subject. "I know it may be painful to talk about, but what can you tell us about the attack on your farm? We are on a mission to end the threat of this bandit group, and anything you can recall will help us deliver justice to them."
    Ferret in the Playground!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

Surprising everyone by speaking up, Lolita says in a low guttural voice, "The vagabonds that hit here are mountain dwellers, east of the northern swamp.

The issue on hand shouldn't be delivering justice or other holier-than-thou attitude. Whether the people you seek and the people that the old man seeks..."
    Lolita glances up at the farmer, "are one and the same, I'm here for the suffering and carnage.

Ideals, huh. Learn to enjoy yourself more, elf."

Giving Soveliss a critical gaze, Lolita wonders when reality would descend on the ranger.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lolita, dear, you need to calm down and not look at the world so grotesquely. No matter what is given or taken from you, the gods above have a plan for everything.

As for the ones who attacked the farm, I don't know much. When they attacked, I was in town delivery my hand crafted spices. However I have heard them at night sometimes. Since I had that fence put up they haven't been back as far as I know.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-12-04 at 04:12 PM.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

Something doesn't match up, Lolita thinks to herself. A group of...people able to ransack a house couldn't...get past a fence?

Out loud, she asks, "The fence you say? Wooden?"
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-04 at 04:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155

Lolita remembers seeing the fence as she came in. It was a 4 foot tall wooden split rail fence.

The man just looks at the Tiefling with a curious look.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-12-04 at 04:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Soveliss

Soveliss grins broadly at Lolita, nearly snickering. Turning in his chair, he calls over his shoulder, "Flint! Lolita called me 'holier-than-thou,' and told me I needed to learn how to have fun! Apparently, all the trouble I get you into is just child's play." Turning back, he gives her a genuine smile. "Listen, I'm an Avandrite. Sure, I'm devoted to her principles, but her ideals are pretty much 'Go have fun.' I enjoy adventure and combat as much as anyone, tiefling. Killing cold-blooded murderers is definitionally justice, calling it that's preaching. And my name's Soveliss."

Shaking his head, Soveliss forces the grin from his face to talk again to the grieving old man, "Mikali, if there's any damage from the bandits, broken doors or that kind of thing, would you mind showing them to me? It might give us some idea of their tactics so we can know what to expect."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

[Ironshod]

Ironshod listens to the conversation quietly watching the group's behaviours. "I agree with Lolita, here, what is it about the fence that keeps the bandits at bay do you think?" Ironshod asks the farmer, after he answers Soveliss.
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-05 at 06:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

There was no damage done, it seems that my wife was a little to trusting. She opened the door and let them in when they knocked.

As far as the fence, I do not know. It was put in by Magus Dravital after the incident with my wife, as i would not move closer to town. He said it would protect me from anyone wishing to do me harm.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Flint

Hearing Soveliss' call, Flint slowly opens his eyes. His joint crack as he stands up, stiff from being still so long during his meditating. As relaxing as that was, it still didn't help me deal with my memories... I guess only time can heal that... Flint thought sadly to himself as he trudged up the stairs.

As he walks in he hears Soveliss talk about his attitude. Flint starts to laugh, "Hahahaha, she thinks you are like that?! She must not know you at all." As usual, the fun loving elf finds a way to brighten Flint's day yet again.

Sitting down to eat, Flint listens carefully to what the old man has to say. "Sounds like your wife was a wonderful person, I'm truly sorry for your loss. However, if these bandits do turn out to be the same ones we are after, I would agree with Soveliss. Killing here would be justice, I know that Moradin would put his power in my arm to avenge your wife." Flint says solemnly to the man, meaning every word that he says.

10. - Top - End - #160

[Ironshod]

When everyone is finished talking, the warforged stands nodding to the old farmer, saying, "I will be sitting against the wall until morning. Sleep well everyone." Ironshod grabs his gear before taking a seat on the far side of the room, against the wall. He doesn't sleep, but it's obviously he is resting.

[OOC:]
    Spoiler
    Show
    If nothing else happens Ironshod will be taking an extended rest, and since he has slept at least 6 hours(4 for Warforged) in the last 24(PHB 263), he doesn't have to sleep to gain it's benefit. Not that it would matter considering he hasn't used any abilities.
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-05 at 08:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

"Mm. I'm out." Lolita agrees before heading out the door of the house.

She heads out the door and attempts to gather some firewood and tinder. Trying to start a fire, she uses the flint and steel to try to light tinder if she finds any. Regardless of whether she is successful in starting a fire or not, she gets out her bedroll from her backpack, unrolls it, and falls asleep within it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was looking at the PHB for checks relevant to starting fires but it didn't say at all, so I'm going to go ahead and use logic to say that it's a straight up nature check.

Nature - (d20+1)[5]

Edit: Not that it'll matter...that roll was epic failure, unless she could take 10 on it?

Lolita fails to get even sparks from her flint and steel.

She rummages around for her dagger and gets into her bedroll and just stares up at the stars for a good while. A couple twigs snap, and she looks up to see the half-elf building a fire near her. Not knowing what to say, Lolita gives Dain a slight smile. The only way it could be differentiated from a smirk, is that it travels all the way to her eyes, making her seem for a moment, grateful.

Giving her attention back at the stars, Lolita points to a purple star near the horizon and says to Dain, "Caiphon shines bright tonight." Continuing, talking more to herself now, she adds, "Even the shadows, the stars can't drive away...still...they're but a road to power."

With that cryptic saying, she flips onto her side and closes her eyes. You notice she stirs uneasily even in sleep, her hand gripped tightly around her dagger.

OOC: EDITED!
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-06 at 03:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the Tiefling girl struggling with the fire, Dain moves to help.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do we even need a check to start a fire?
    Regardless:
    (1d20+5)[17]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Soveliss

Soveliss starts up to follow Lolita outside, suddenly concerned he may have been too brash again, and offended her. He sits back down when Flint joins the conversation. I'll make it up to her tomorrow. Touchy lass, there. He turns his attention back to Mikali, now realizing there likely isn't anything the man could relate that would help in the morrow's hunt. Except perhaps one thing...

"Mikali, when elves pass on, we often celebrate their life by talking about them. The greatest tribute we can give one another is the guarantee that they are not forgotten. Would you tell me about your wife?"

Assuming Mikali is willing to discuss her, Soveliss spends much of the rest of the evening talking with Mikali, comforting him. Eventually, the aleskin will likely come out in toast to her.

Before bedding down for the night, Soveliss can be seen in the door frame, scratching something with his dagger by the dim light of the dying fire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soveliss is carving the name of Mikali's wife onto his sharpest, straightest arrows.
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2008-12-05 at 02:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

[Ironshod]

Not wanting to hear more 'leaking of the meat bags', Ironshod decides to step outside. The clank of his iron feet and the slight jingle of his chainmail doesn't make for a stealthy retreat from the room, but he is used to it, thus ignores it.

When he approaches the tiefling, fire and half-elf, he looks to the latter as he stands by the fire and innocently asks him, "So what makes you so different from the other bags of meat?" The metal of his face distorts in a slight smile, as if the middle had become heated and begun to sag.
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-05 at 05:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Dain jumps a little when the strange metal man speaks to him. "Different? I'm not different." He begins examining the warforged, bending and examining various parts very closely, even going so far as to poke at some of Ironshod's joints.

"He thinks I'm different, but he should talk; yes, he does talk. But he shouldn't talk, because he thinks I'm different. He's better than the fence, but it's like inside the houses."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Flint

Flint sits quietly at the table, noting when other decide to leave. He offers a few kind words to the man, trying to comfort him when he can. Over all, however, he is impressed by this side of Soveliss he never knew existed. For as long as the dwarf had known the mischievous ranger, he had always seen the side that loved to get into trouble and gambling his life and Flint's in the process.

As the night grows later and the moon rises higher and higher into the black sky, Flint decides that he could use a good rest. They all had a long day, Flint is no exception. Pulling out his bedroll from his pack, he unrolls it on the floor being sure to set it up out of the others' way. He says a quick prayer to Moradin, calls a quick "goodnight" to everyone and closes his eyes. However, just before his eyes shut, he catches a glimpse of Soveliss silhouetted by the moonlight the light gleaming off of his dagger. Flint tried to ponder the significance of it, but he was too tired and soon he started to lightly snore.

17. - Top - End - #167

[Ironshod]

Slightly confused by the short person's banter, He metal face silently scrunching up in a confused expression. After a moment Ironshod said, "Well, as you can see, I am not a bag of meat like yourself. I do not have flesh, or skin keeping that flesh inside." Ironshod ignored the poking as it didn't hurt or bother him for that matter.

[For Dain as he pokes and prods the warforged]
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you poke his joint you notice that on the outside of his knees and elbows seem to be rings, much as would be found connecting a chain to a wall.

Crouching down to get down to eye level, from his seven-foot view of the five and a half foot half-elf, Ironshod asks, "What is your name, Elfkin? My name is Ironshod." His warforged facial expression seemed to slowly melt into neutrality as he waited for a response.
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-05 at 06:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Dain

Dain finishes his cursory examination, and looks up at the towering figure, "Ironshod? I have been deemed Dain, or maybe dained deem? No no no no, it's Dain, yes, I don't like iron, but shod? I'll deem you Ironshod, and you deem me Dain."

19. - Top - End - #169

[Ironshod]

"Fair enough." Ironshod chuckles, "I do deem you Dain." Looking passed the half-elf he notices the sleeping tiefling, thinking, 'twitchy one she is.' His face had changed for a moment to an expression contemplation until finally saying to Dain, "I think she has the right idea," indicating Lolita. Ironshod goes into the house, grabs his gear and places it on the porch. He sits down next to the door so he can look in at the others and look out to the tiefling. Ironshod sits for most of the night just watching the sky, and for sometime thinking about nothing in particular.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    My edit occurs after Dain finishes building the fire, but before Ironshod sees the sleeping Lolita
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Soveliss and Mikali spend a few hours talking, while everyone else goes about there business that night. During those hours Soveliss finds out lots of interesting information about the gentlemen, nothing that would really assist in any matter with the situation at hand however. He does find out that Mikali's wives name was Jilliana.

As the old man get's ready for bed he does let out a small snicker that there are people sleeping on his front yard instead of in the house.

When the sun begins to rise, you are awoken with a smell of delite. With in a few minutes afterwards, you hear the sounds of Mikali attempting to wake you up. He spared no expense with breakfast, obviously very grateful for what you are doing for him. Splitting the food for everyone, he urges you guys to eat before you set out.

perception 15 & insight 15 (need both to look)
    Spoiler
    Show

you notice that when splits the food. he actually makes an extra plate. He then also puts 1/2 of his plate on it and puts that into the cabinet. You get the feeling that he used almost all of his food to feed you guys over the last day. And when you see him open his food cabinet to put that plate away, you see it almost completely empty. Only 1/4 a loaf of bread left.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-12-06 at 09:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Is that on one character, or the party as a whole? Because there are no characters in this party with both 15 insight and 15 perception (Flint's is the closest at 14 perception and 19 insight). Nevermind that. I forgot about Group Awareness. Flint should be the only one that can act on the spoiler, if in fact Group Awareness does apply.

Lolita

Lolita wakes up at sunrise, her hand still tightly clenched around her dagger. Rubbing her eyes wearily, she slips the dagger back into the sheath at her belt, rolls up the bedroll, and puts it back inside her backpack. She stretches languidly and follows her nose into the kitchen.

I could get used to someone cooking me breakfast in the morning, Lolita thinks wistfully. Her eyes light up as she takes a bite. "Mm. Homecooked food," she mumbles, perhaps the most passionate thing anyone in the party has heard her say yet.

She finishes quickly, washes and dries her plate, then goes onto the porch. Grabbing a piece of wood, she takes out her dagger and begins to whittle something.

After a few minutes, she makes a mistake and immolates the incomplete work with an eldritch blast. Grumbling, she searches for another piece of wood.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-06 at 11:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

[Ironshod]

Ironshod watches as everyone is roused from bed by the smells and sounds of food, since he had been awaken the whole night looking at the stars and thinking to himself. He finally gets up when everyone else is awakened, taking off his chainmail as he does. When he is up and seemingly naked, he begins to stretch out his arms and leg, neither of which is quiet.

[Perception 10 If you are paying him attention; otherwise 15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that attached to each of Ironshod's elbows and knees, on the outside, are metal loops, like what you would attach a chain to a wall.

Sounds similar to a pitched battle can be heard softly coming from the porch. The popping of his joints as he stretches sounds like pieces of metal striking against each other, and of wood popping in a fire. The sound of metal rubbing against wood and metal alike, is prominent as he works the stiffness of staying in one position for several hours. As Ironshod yawns it sounds as if a rusty old door was being opened for the first time in ages.

The exploding wood earns a slight pause and a glance from Ironshod who continues what he was doing when he sees it was just the tiefling.

Ironshod re-dons his chainmail and straps his shield and khopesh to his back, when he finishes stretching. Ironshod notices that the farmer once expects him to need food, "Mikali, I do appreciate the offer, but I do not need food," says Ironshod, calmly. Ironshod hands him the plate back and steps outside saying, "I will be by the road, we can head out once everyone is ready. Thank you again Mikali, we will return with the broach in no time."
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-06 at 06:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception- (d20+10)[17]
    Insight-(d20+3)[6] (If you're looking for active rolls. Also, Soveliss' passive Perception is well over 15, would that entitle him to make the Insight as an active check?)
    Edit: ...Never mind. Apparently Soveliss used up all of his insightfulness the night before.

Soveliss

Soveliss wakes with the dawn, as usual. Watching the sun rise, he caresses his bow, meditating on the day's task. As the others wake, he takes care in dousing the embers and ash of last night's fire, turning over the earth to renew the yard's fertility*.

Eager to be on the road, Soveliss eats early, savoring the meal. Before following Ironshod out the door, he stops to thank Mikali again. "We'll be back, Mikali. And on my life, the people who stole what is most precious to you will be repayed in kind."

Spoiler
    Show
    Soveliss knows, as I the player do, that ash is incredibly rich in nutrients that plants need. Churning ash into soil refreshes soil that grass can de-nutrient. And now you know.
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2008-12-06 at 02:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

Having secured another piece of wood, Lolita starts to whittle again.

Perception 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that the top of the wood she's holding takes on a rounded shape.

Over half done, she twitches when the discordant sounds of metal scraping on metal reaches her, causing her dagger to slice too deeply. Her eyes flash red as she chucks the ruined craft into the air with all of her might, following the throw with an eldritch blast. The dark swirl of energy contacts perfectly with the soon-to-be-kindling, and both disappear in a loud explosion.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-06 at 06:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Flint

Flint wakes from his surprisingly peaceful sleep. Despite almost breaking down yesterday, he did not suffer from the nightmares that normally happen when he thinks about his family, as if Moradin himself was keeping the nightmares at bay. After Flint gets up, he pulls out one of the waterskins filled with the great ale from the tavern. When he sits down, he pours himself a glass and then offers it to Mikali. "Sir, would you like any? It is one of the finest brews I have ever tasted. Even pointy-ears likes it." Flint says with a grin.

Flint notices without being obvious that Mikali stores some of the breakfast in the cabinet as if he is saving it. When he opens the cabinet, Flint sees just how little food the poor man has. This poor man... he is giving us all of the food he needs..." Flint decides that when they leave, he will give the man the rest of the gold coins he had.

As he makes his final preparations to leave, he notices the chain hooks on Ironshod and the slow formation of the doomed piece of wood that the tiefling was carving on. He hears the explosions of her failure, noting the temper that she seemed to possess. As he walks out the door, he presses the gold coins into Mikali's hand. "I know that this isn't close to being enough to repay your hospitality, but please accept them. I won't take no for an answer, and you can ask the elf how stubborn I am." Flint says with a slight grin. "But please, accept this small token of my appreciation."

Spoiler
    Show

Flint gives Mikali 7 gold coins. Not sure what the DC on the Perception check would be to see Flint do that.
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-12-07 at 12:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Soveliss

Soveliss sets an arrow to his bowstring and leaves the yard through the gate. Sending Bubo, now well-rested from her journey to the elven forests, out on a wide circle of the area, he begins to search for sign of either the band that kidnapped the lord's son or the incident in which Mikali's wife was killed. Knowing it to have been several days, he conducts an extremely thorough search of all likely routes of approach.

Spoiler
    Show
    What Soveliss is doing is a general search for tracks, and if he doesn't find them, he will attempt a Stealth "knowledge" check to predict how the raiders may have approached the area, based on how he would. He will conduct an additional search of these areas. Uncertain whether you want to treat this as a reroll or bonus (contingent on a decent Stealth check), or not allow it at all, so I'll roll for all of them. Also for Bubo's Perception check.
    Perception-(d20+10)[25]
    Stealth-(d20+9)[26]
    Perception-(d20+10)[20]+/- ?
    Perception (Bubo)-(d20+6)[15]
    Edit: Soveliss, a tradition of the Awesome.
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2008-12-07 at 12:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Lolita

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (d20+1)[16]
    Stealth - (d20+2)[15]

My rolls weren't bad either. Now if I had some awesome bonuses like you...

Seeing the elf leave by way of the gate, Lolita follows the elf. Grabbing a last stick from the yard, she absentmindedly sets her dagger to work while scanning the surrounding environment. She tries to stay low and keep to the shadows as best as she can.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-07 at 12:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Dain

Dain seems to have forgotten about the fence, and leaves normally. Again, far more shadows than are strictly natural seem to cover him as he walks, had he again stays fairly close to the ranger in the lead, though he has, perhaps, learned his lesson from the day before and is staying a bit farther than before.

When he leaves, though, he leaves about half of his rations, ten days worth, in a fairly easily spotted area near the house.
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 or 3 squares behind Soveliss.
    Stealth:
    (1d20+6)[9]
    Insight:
    (1d20+7)[9]
    Nature:
    (1d20+5)[10]
    Last edited by frogman55; 2008-12-07 at 11:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

[Esquilo][Aramil]

During the late evening Esquilo and Aramill stayed awake and discuss the following day with great debate. Eventually they reached an agreement, Aramil, who was feeling a little shaken up by the previous day's battle, and Esquilo, who didn't want to leave anyone behind that could potentially aid in the cause, decided to stay behind and help protect the farmer on his land while Aramil recovered. When others were readying to leave they informed them of the plan, and through neither argument or persuasion could dissuade them of this decision. They hand over what ever gear they think can help the group best when everyone gets to the road.

[Ironshod]

When everyone that was coming along gets to the road Ironshod takes as much he can carry of the offered gear, without slowing him down, and starts walking east with the group. Since his pace is already slowed by the armor he tries to keep to the middle of the group the best he can.
    Last edited by opakedragon; 2008-12-08 at 12:31 PM.