New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Close Encounters Of The Scaly Kind!

The Lucky Sage

The dim tavern is filled with quiet conversations as you sit around, doing what you may. The thin wooden doors do little to drown out the drizzle outside, during this time of night. Inside the tavern, a group of adventurers sit at a table, planning for their next excursion. An old, bitter looking barman wipes the same dirty glass with he same dirty rag, while a much nicer looking barmaid moves between the tables to serve the group of adventurers. No one takes much notice at the some of the strangers sitting around. After all, The Lucky Sage attracts all sorts of creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    And it begins! Please position yourselves somewhere in the bar. I believe anyone can edit it without needing an account, so I trust no one will mess with it.
    If your name is too big to fit in the square as it is, please abbreviate it so it does.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Close Encounters Of The Scaly Kind!

Ran Kang

Ran had come to the Lucky Sage for employment, his particular talents an oddity to some, though none the less exotic. He had just stopped one of his more back brending dances, and panted softly while flaging one of the serving women for a glass of water

"Ara ara, would one of you sweet girls get me something to drink? Works hard ya know ya"
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

"Badger"

"Badger", being the loud and uppity gnome he was, had attracted the attention of several adventurers with his boosting of mastery over both the magical, and martial, a boast he backed with his greataxe and a casting of prestigitation to cast what looked like a fireball. Darolis and himself had managed to come across the inn upon their entry to the town, and "Badger, always willing to get a break from the elf, started a conversation with the adventures.

"So, who can do what?" asked "Badger", not quite sure of how they were going to pull of the adventure laid before him.
    Last edited by Baxter190; 2008-11-09 at 12:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Jack

Jack leans against the wall in a shadowy corner, completely detatched and aloof. He wears a low smile on his face, and has his fist curled under his chin in a relaxed, contemplative manner. He completely ignores the other customers, and when the barmaid comes to ask if he wants anything to drink, he simply bends over at the waist, to the point that it looks like he is going to topple over from all that length, his face inches from hers, and just grins at her, saying nothing at all until she leaves. He then resumes his previous stance, observing the clientel.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-11-09 at 12:45 AM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #5

"Vimak"

Vimak sits in the corner of the room, making sure to have his back to both walls. He has a reserved air, and has already orders a meal suitable for a goliath. He keeps an eye on the door, and the stairs, even during the gnomes fireball display and the elves dance, though he had watched them both. After the elf finishes his dance, he speaks up. "Rather interesting... I seem to think that you don't just dance for entertainment." He takes a sip from his ale. "It had something of a martial look to it."

6. - Top - End - #6

Ran Kang

Ran almost seems to slide across the floor to the man at the corner

"Huh? Sure why not ya? Do you practice ya?"
    My Current Works

7. - Top - End - #7

"Vimak"

Vimak grins, tilting his head fractionally toward the guisarme leaning against the empty chair beside him, and moving his traveling cloak to show heavy armor he wears. "Well, I practice, but certainly not such graceful moves. I didn't have the physique for it." He says, chuckling. Indeed, the massively built Goliath almost looms over the slighter elf. "But, a combatant learns to recognize others, and appreciate their skills." He pushes a chair out with a foot. "Sit, if you like."

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Close Encounters of the Scaly Kind

"Sure" The barmaid smiles at Ran, "What'll ya have on this bleak looking night?"

The elven adventurer doesn't seem to mind including 'Badger' in on their plans. "Well, me and Tira over here, He motions towards the Raptoran "Do some of the spell-work. This is Steven and Kurt. They're the the protector's of our group. They've saved our asses more times than I can count. What about you? What brings you here?"
    As of 9/30/09

9. - Top - End - #9

Ran Kang

Ran hops up onto the table, taking a seat. Though he is slight, he still stands a good deal taller then any other elf in the room, the genes of his human father are rather strong in him

"Oh its easy, all we'd have to do is break your arms and legs a few times ya....though it hurts a little you'd heal better then ever! You've gotta reall make em bend back...your legs that is for sure ya...if you wanna be abe to move around. Then we'd need to get all that dead weight off you...the armor that is. Cluncky stuff. For sure you'd move better without it ya?"

Ran then waves to the bar maid

"Over here sweety ya! A water....and...what ever the big guy wants certainly! Probably...ale?"
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-11-09 at 12:55 AM.
    My Current Works

10. - Top - End - #10

"Vimak"

Vimak snorts, lifting his half finished ale and shaking his head to the barmaid. "No more for me, thanks." He says, before turning back to the elf. "Sounds like some rather painful training. But, of course, it must have bean worth it. Me, all I had to do was hard work... the only broken bones came from accidents." He looks the elf over. "Still, if you need more broken, I could help." He gives a crooked grin. "My name is Twice Orphaned."

11. - Top - End - #11

Ran Kang

Ran extends a hand, beaming

"Ran Kang, at your service. And no no, i've gone through training to be sure. It'd just be to loosen ya up ya understand? After all, it takes years to be able to put your head and foot togather without...pulling muscles. I'm sure you could do it to other people but where is the fun in that?

But what brings you here huh? Someone like you probably has alot of reasons to be dealing in places like this at a time like this, after all, its what its here for. Or so they tell me. And most don't come armed, so you have to have a reason to be out and about. Where did you come from? Region that is."
    My Current Works

12. - Top - End - #12

"Vimak"

Vimak accepts the offered hand, and shakes. "Well, I don't really see why you would want to put your foot and head together, but if it makes you happy." He shrugs, clearly finding this half elf odd. "I travel for my Enclave. Once our training is done, we go out into the world to help... with cold steel."

He gives Ran a deadpan stare, which he holds for a long beat, then he grins. "Steel to protect those who travel, healing those in need. Both I and my companion hail from the Vaska Range, near Mount Vatra. She is the Healer I speak of."

13. - Top - End - #13

Ran Kang

"A healer you say? Interesting business that. Well, it is always good to see those willing to help people in the world. Should it be saving small things from trees or providing a wonderful leg or arm breaking service, you at least have the aid to make sure all those nasty side effects don't hinder to many people, awfully dibilitating having random extensions not working right.

And from the moutains to...wonderful. I've never been to them, but I have seen them from far away ya. Always wanted to go, but...they're so very high up. What if you fell? Surely that'd hurt. But no use getting scared of something as exciting as new land right?"
    My Current Works

14. - Top - End - #14

Darolis

Darolis sits at the bar ((the open stool near the adventurers' table)), sipping an ale. He is tall for an elf, with a muscular build that is rather unusual for the typically slender race. He wears leather armor and a dark brown cloak, both of which are worn and travel-stained, but obviously well maintained. He has shoulder length jet black hair and leaf green eyes and his angular face is unblemished except for a long, thin scar along the left side of his jaw. His pack, an unstrung longbow and a covered quiver rest on the floor next to him, while his shortsword hangs from his belt.

At the sound of the adventurer's question, he turns around on his stool. "We're mercenaries, we just finished up a job and we're looking for new work. The name is Darolis Nightsky, if you need to quietly find out what's ahead of you or put an arrow through some monster's eye, I'm the one to talk to. That's Badger, an angry little man with a big axe and some skill with magic."
    Last edited by Knight13; 2008-11-09 at 01:45 AM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

15. - Top - End - #15

"Vimak"

Vimak lets the half elf babble, rather amused by the stream of words. When Ran pauses for breath, he interjects. "So, where are you from, and what brings you to The Lucky Sage?" He then finishes his meal, expecting the elf to talk long enough for him not to have to speak till he is through eating.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Faervarhed

A perfectly ordinary looking gnome sits at one of the more central tables, his walking stick resting beside him against the table, himself sitting in a high stool that gives a fine view of the door and most of the room.

Before the gnome rests a sizable platter of food and a large beverage. He eats his food with slow relish, washing each bite down with a sip of his beverage before savoring the next one.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Michael Ventus

Michael is sitting at the bar eating dinner when the gnome produces the rather... impressive display. He's of average height and appearance for a human, with the only really distinctive part is the scar on his lower left cheek. As he finishes his ale, he motions for the barkeep and sets several coppers down. "Another pint, barman"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cadel Mynos

Cadel sits at a corner table by himself, listening to the conversations around him. He is drinking from his own waterskin, only being in the tavern to rest after traveling for days on end.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSepp View Post
    "Vimak"

Vimak lets the half elf babble, rather amused by the stream of words. When Ran pauses for breath, he interjects. "So, where are you from, and what brings you to The Lucky Sage?" He then finishes his meal, expecting the elf to talk long enough for him not to have to speak till he is through eating.
    Ran Kang

Ran pauses

"Where am I from...and why am I at this inn...Well I work here for now. Really its not a bad job, its fun untill fights break out. Then thats when I have to leave. Its no fun when everyone is bleeding or out cold ya know? Life's like that to be sure, just a ton of moments in rooms where you don't know anyone....but thats the fun of it all, meeting people like an insane dance where everyone just bumps into people with sounds and lights and noise...all meaning nothing other then that one single moment!

Ran starts waving his arms in some clearly meaningful way...at least to him

"Thats what I was told anyway. That we've all got a purpose in each of those little rooms, and when one room is done we get to move on, maybe back to a room from before with different people or to one where you have never been but there are familiar faces! Its all exciting when you think about it ya. So I guess I came from the room before this one....and another before then."
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-11-09 at 11:10 AM.
    My Current Works

20. - Top - End - #20

"Vimak"

Vimak finish his meal, trying to make sense of the half-elfs words. "While that is an interesting view of life, it's not really an answer to my question. Where were you born, and where did you train?" He stands, then, picks up his guisarme, and moves over to the table in the center of the room, where all the adventurers are.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2008-11-09 at 01:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Ran Kang

Ran follows swifly behind the larger man, his feet continuing to almost glide across the floor

"Where was I born? Well a house of course. Well...maybe outside of one, but close to that. Where...I trained...you know? I can't remember. Somewhere with out a lot of light, and there were people there....my memory is fuzzy. They tell me its because I eat some strange berries or other. Who really knows."
    My Current Works

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

"Badger"

"Badger" added to what the elf said, saying, "Yeah, I'm a conjurer, but I'm pretty beastly with my axe. And Elf, I'll happily remind you I have more than a little skill with magic. How many times have I saved your arse with my magic?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cadel
    Cadel finishes his water and pauses to think for a moment. Then he calls over the barmaid and talks in a composed manner trying to convince her for the truest answer to his question.

"Excuse me miss, but where around here can I rest for a few nights at the lowest price?"

24. - Top - End - #24

"Vimak"

Vimak has quite decided that the half elf is either drunk, or mentally deficient, and turns his attention to the adventuring parties table, hoping for some more rational people. "Evening gentlefolk." He says, nodding to all about the table. "What brings you to town tonight?"

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

"Badger"

"We're going.....wait, what what are we doing?" "Badger" asked his new adventure companions, his face of confidence turning into one of confusion.
    Last edited by Baxter190; 2008-11-09 at 06:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Darolis

"Badger"

"Badger" added to what the elf said, saying, "Yeah, I'm a conjurer, but I'm pretty beastly with my axe. And Elf, I'll happily remind you I have more than a little skill with magic. How many times have I saved your arse with my magic?"
    In response to Badger's boast, Darolis thinks for a few seconds and appears to be counting on his fingers for a moment. "Twice, the time that bugbear almost cut me in half and the time you stepped in that snare trap and the bandit that had set it tried to put a poisoned dart in my back while I was trying to get you down." Darolis smiles, "I was impressed that you could cast a spell while hanging upside down like that."
    Last edited by Knight13; 2008-11-09 at 07:52 PM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Close Encounters Of The Scaly Kind!

Alannia enters from the outside shaking the slight water from her cloak. Once warmed up some she takes it off and slowly moves to the bar. She takes a stool but says nothing to those nearest to her. When the bartender comes to her she asks politely, " May I please have a small bowl of your cheapest food and cheap ale? Is there work to be had in this district?"
    After he leaves she takes a closer look at those around her. She appears to be a little out of her comfort zone but seems to want to make contact with someone.
    Last edited by melileaya; 2008-11-09 at 07:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

"Badger"

"Exactly. A properly timed shield spell saves lives," said "Badger" with a laugh. He then saw the girl walk in, and trying to start a conversation, said, "Make that a good ale and some of the best soup you got on me. Can't have a girl getting sick from some cheap food, now can we?"

29. - Top - End - #29

Ran Kang

Ran takes a seat on another empty table, watching the people converse. His ears perk up when the gnome spoke up

"That was very nice of you! Paying for her food like that, thats so uncommon here...I wonder why that is ya."
    My Current Works

30. - Top - End - #30

The barmaid comes over to Cadel after serving the others thier drinks, and says, "I guess the cheapest place is The Rat's Ass, down in Fernov lane, but trust me, you don't want to stay there. I'd be surprised if you had a single copper left when you woke up, if you know what I mean."

The Barman grunts in confirmation as Alannia orders, but switches pots of soup as 'Badger' switches the order. Nothing really phases this man.

The human adventurer Kurt, who had been drinking some murky brown liquid from his mug, lets out a deep laugh at Darolis' comment and says, "Sounds like you two have had some fun times together."

Spoiler
    Show
    I know everyone's just sitting around, but I want to wait until everyone posts. Then things will pick up...

Also, Melilea, I'd appriciate it if you didn't put the smiles in your posts...
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-09 at 08:47 PM.
    As of 9/30/09