New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Warglory, Liberators II

Speak-Easy

Speak-Easy shook Doc's hand. "As do I, I expect you see a lot of death out there...." He began, then shook his head and tried to see if he could tune into the enemy frequencies.

(d20)[2]
    I drew this line myself

2. - Top - End - #62

Tyrson began to move northwest with his section.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

3. - Top - End - #63

BlackDragon

Poetry

Acknowledging Slips orders, Poetry took point and moved forward.

4. - Top - End - #64

((When Speazy is tuning frequencies he cannot hear orders over the company frequency. That is poor fieldcraft and against your battle drill. Are you sure you want to do this?))

((While i'm at it, acting NCOs Stinky and Poet can and will be assumed to take point but are best off assigning the job to someone else sooner or later.))

Before Speazy (maybe?) changes frequencies there's a reply from company HQ. Voice is crackly but not too bad. "Confirmed Leaky Bucket, ad...*crackle* ...nd clear out left of road, say again advance and clear out le... *crackle* ...oad, over."
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-09 at 10:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

PirateCaptain

Speak-Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Shirocco View Post
    ((When Speazy is tuning frequencies he cannot hear orders over the company frequency. That is poor fieldcraft and against your battle drill. Are you sure you want to do this?))

((While i'm at it, acting NCOs Stinky and Poet can adn will be assumed to take point but are best off assigning the job to someone else sooner or later.))

Before Speazy (maybe?) changes frequencies there's a reply from company HQ. Voice is crackly but not too bad. "Confirmed Leaky Bucket, ad...*crackle* ...nd clear out left of road, say again advance and clear out le... *crackle* ...oad, over."
    ((Ah, I wasn't sure, you didn't post a reply over the radio when you last posted, so I assumed that they just acknowledged and let me go about internal communications, in that case, I'll try and tune into the enemies frequencies after that, but obviously I failed miserably, only barely avoiding a radio break))

"Understood. Leaky Bucket over and out." Said Speak-Easy, putting down the receiver. He turned to no-one in particular and said: "I'm going to need a runner or two to relay orders and information to the various teams and sections. Any volunteers?"
    I drew this line myself

6. - Top - End - #66

There's a chorus of grunts in reply to Slip's orders. Third section take position behind the APC while 1st and 2nd advance around the corner with the road. Curly gives Squeezy a nudge. "Pick anyone when you have to mate. Come on we're moving."

((You can pick anybody for messenger duties. Riflemen are the usual choice. If anyone argues Sgt. Curly will back you.))

Before you reach the end of the bend you see a bullet-ridden dvergr truck on the right (outside of the turn), and 10 yards past that the smouldering ruin of a dvergr armoured scout car. Poet sees a rundown 3 storey tavern with boarded up windows 50m down the straight after the turn and sandbags 100m down the street but before he can get a good look at them... Poet, Awareness check.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Come on, Doc, let's not be dwadlin' now." Acting on his own words, Twitch hurries northeast to catch up with Stinky. He slows his step momentarily along side him, "who's on point?"

8. - Top - End - #68

*Direction shift after PM from Random, rewinding to where Poet sees the shotup truck.

Smoke rises just a bit further round, Poet holds up while Slip directs Stinky's section into the rat warren of shacks. With Stinky leading (?) he sees lots of directions to go in. First juncture is a + and if you go straight ahead there's a T 10 yards after that. These alleys are running amoung rickety shacks, only room for 2 abrest (confined, can only use small melee weapons side by side or bayonets at -2). You see ragged flaps of cloth for doors, 4 of those before the + and another 6 before the T. Any shack could contain enemies - a D20 awareness check each turn to see if you pick up on enemies as you pass or before you enter shacks.

With Slip's (and higher up) orders to head northish you'll have to take a right at the interesections, whichever one you take. Good idea to check shacks as you go.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-09 at 09:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Tyrson stepped cautiously forward, his eyes briefly seeking the 'okay' from his section head before sweeping around the street, looking for any indication of Houten.

awareness - (1d20+10)[30]
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Doc Turtlemurdered

"Hah. Keep your eyes on the enemy, not on me, Twitch. I'm here to make sure you don't bleed out when you get yourself shot." replied the Doc, keeping with Slip in the command squad.

He unscrewed his hip flask and had a bit of a sip from it. He'd refilled them last night, and it seemed a waste not to have some while he was still in good enough condition to enjoy it.

11. - Top - End - #71

Platoon chart
    Spoiler
    Show

Random's chart. I've edited for clarity; pretty sure we got everybody.

(First name is section leader)
    Command:
    Slip
    Curly (2ic)
    Speak-Easy (Radio)
    Doc (Stretcher)

First:
    Poetry
    Frenis (Sharp)
    Snake (Rifle)
    Crash (gren)
    1st Aider
    Rifleman #1 (Fingers)
    Rifleman #2 (3 Pegs)

Second:
    Stinky
    Tyrson (Sharp)
    Twitch (Rifle)
    Ramble (LMG)
    1st Aider
    Rifleman #3 (Tiny)
    Rifleman #4 (Jinks)

Third:
    Hooky
    Lifter (LMG)
    Bang (Gren)
    1st Aider
    x3 Riflemen

((Greyson's home on leave this week so he probably won't show. i'll drag him.))

Stinky gives Tyr the nod and lets him pass, taking point through the alley (not to be confused with the main street!). There's movement in the 2nd left shack... doesn't sound like an enemy. Quick look confirms it, a small family in rags huddled inside peer out at him. The other 3 shacks have yet to be checked, other characters in 2nd section are closest.

Poet, sitting put outside on the left (inside) of the main street bend, watches the dvergr regular you spotted initially fire again... there is a hail of HMG fire from up the street that walks quickly through ground toward him, the regular curses and dives out of sight as his concealment is ripped apart like the rickety shack of tin & stolen wood that it is. That's on the other side of the street, outside edge of the turn, so Poet & 1st section are well clear of it... they just have a great view.

Back at Squezy & Slip's end of the world the Company frequency chirps to life. "2nd platoon reporting as Foxhound, dismounted and ready over." There's a burst of crackle and Company HQ (CHQ)'s signaller chirps in. "Copy Foxhound, advance northeast around right side of road, friendlies ahead over." "Confirmed Sparks, moving - Leaky, where is that Hout HMG? Over."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Twitch kneels down a few feet from the first door on the left as he fixes his bayonet. Then he slowly walks forward, takes position just to the right of the door frame and uses his gun's barrel to push the cloth door aside so he can peer in, checking the corner. Assuming it's clear, he rapidly steps through the door and checks the other corner.

If no one else beats him to it, Twitch will repeat the process until all houses are clear.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Snake takes a moment to compose himself; no matter how many times he goes into combat, he always took a minute to make sure he was ready. A simple slip could easily be fatal, and Snake was quite aptly aware of that. He shoulders his rifle and pulls out his trench gun, nothing but business now.

Sneaking up to the closest of the 3 shacks, Snake pauses for a minute, his own breath quiet as he listens for any telltale signs of hostiles, before he flattens against the wall of the shack and yanks the cloth door open, trench at the ready.

Roll(1d20)+10:[24]

Spoiler
    Show
    how do you roll with the forum system?
    Last edited by Savant; 2008-11-10 at 01:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

Poetry

Awareness: (1d20+5)[8](13)

"By the numbers lads, check yer targets and know what yer shootin' at. Make sure to give these shacks a good lookin' over as we advance" Poetry tells his section as they descend into the rats warren of shacks and debris. "Snake, take point, rifle is less likely to indiscriminately kill civvies then this thing" he orders, gesturing at his trenchgun for emphasis.

15. - Top - End - #75

((I'll be away for work tommorow, no posts during day austime. Following day i may be a bit slower too. What with the fun around the corner i'll drag most of you slackers right now. Take a double turn.))

The other 3 shacks all come up empty, Tyr was on the money. Creeping forward he glances left then looks right down the +... and pulls back. He's scarcely begun to turn around and say something when LMG fire rips through the late afternoon air, shredding through tin and the odd civilian to reach you.

All those in 2nd section are exposed to full auto blindfire straight through the shacks from an LMG position Close north, it sounds like it's right in your ear! Reflex checks to hit the deck in a hurry. Other sections can get down if they want but the fire doesn't go near them the entire turn as only 2nd is in the alley. Next turn it ceases fire, you hear a Houten say something. ((PMing the Hout speakers)) If you go forward and take a right at the + you'll see it's 30 yards of alley that way with a 2 floor wood shack at the end, a window on the 2nd floor looking down the alley at you has cloth still flapping from the wind of the LMG. While you do this Ramble will spit, raise his LMG and proceed to blindfire back at the Houten.

Blindfire Change
    Spoiler
    Show

Blindfire's shooting at what you can't see. Like around corners, over lips, through smoke and weak cover, that sort of thing. It takes an awareness check and then a tough shot die to do accurately.

Shooting modifers don't work when blind firing! Take the base die. Automatics can often get rerolls, in the above situation Ramble is taking D8 dice and rerolling them... if he passes Awareness that is. I never used to allow rifles to do this but hell, why not. Now you can - they're just bad at it. Roll awareness, DC25. If you pass it base is D8, add +2shotdie (taking to D12) if you are useing a rifle. Trench guns lack the penetration to punch through all these shacks.

Grenades can also be tried, D20, two a turn. Remember to count them down as you use them!

Oh, note for the new guys. If you do pass the awareness check you'll be rolling 2 D12 shots, then a D6 for a third shot on a 5+ result. You could even try standing there shooting while that LMG pounds into you on turn 1... not healthy but possible.

Free hint. Don't attack MG positions head on; a head on assault from you is what they spend all night dreaming of. So while you might rush past the + toward the T, thus keeping your risk relatively low, stopping in the + to fire directly is a bad idea. D4 if you're suicidally game to try.

While this happens 1st section & PHQ (Platoon HQ - Slip, Curly, Doc, Speazy) hear things liven up with automatic, trench gun and rifle fire on the east side slums past the road. 3rd section's nowhere near that, being back with the APC, but from what came in over the radio 2nd platoon is probably hitting something in there too.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-10 at 02:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Stinky

2nd Section Breakdown
    Spoiler
    Show

CPL Stinky
    Tyrson (Sharp)
    Twitch (Rifle)
    Ramble (LMG)
    1st Aider
    Rifleman #3 (Tiny)
    Rifleman #4 (Jinks)

Standard Wedge formation (basic diagram below for open area movement)

___________(point - Twitch)___________
    ----------Tiny-------------Ramble-------
    ------Tyrson------Stinky-------Jinks------
    ----------------1st Aid (Reddy)----------

Files for long tight areas
    --------Twitch
    Tiny----------
    --------Ramble
    Tyrson--------
    --------Stinky
    Reddy--------
    --------Jinks

Battle Buddy pairs for Clearing the shanty town
    Tyrson & Jinks
    Twitch & Tiny
    Ramble & Jinks
    Stinky & Reddy

Hitting the ground with a clank, the heavily armored Bjartr grunts. Ref (1d20)[19]
    Popping a smoke grenade into the line of LMG fire he barks orders at his section. Wait for the smoke then break across line of fire as they pause! We'll move to flank! Stinky creeps forward to signal to go.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

(I'm assuming we don't have to act in rounds yet since we're under cover...)

At the sound of fire, Twitch pressed himself against the thin shack wall next to him. But then he realized the location of the danger and started creping towards Tyr. He pulled out a smoke grenade and jogged closer. "Smoke if ya got 'em fellas!" he called before throwing the grenade in an arc over the shack roofs to land in the road.

((What to roll?))

((1 frag, 1 smoke, 1 thermite remaining))

18. - Top - End - #78

Stinky spins on the private NO MORE SMOKE! I give the orders in this section. UNDERSTAND!? He bellows as the second smoke goes over.

As the smoke starts to rise he says Go, go go! Following last across the breach himself.

19. - Top - End - #79

Tyrson hit the deck and then groaned at the overzealous private.

reflex - (1d20)[17]

As Stinky began to move, Tyrson popped up and moved with him, blinking the smoke from his eyes. "Anyone know what the Houts are saying?" he asked.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

((Sorry guys! I was out of town, and I've totally fallen behind. Anybody want to fill me in on what I've missed and where Frenis is?

Also, I took the Bipod and Bloodhound trait...

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Frenis
    Class: Sharpshooter (-1 sht dif)
    Kit: standard (full rifle, sidearm, B. armour, grenades, knife) + 30 yards rope
    Bipod (-1 shot die/1 round to set up)
    Skills:
    Awareness 15
    Stealth 15
    Climb 10
    Use Rope 10
    Track

Trait: Superstitious

Perk: Bloodhound
    ))
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

21. - Top - End - #81

OK, time for a quick one before i shoot through for the day. Double turn

((Mainiac, we are acting in turns as you're in combat. These shacks are not cover, they are concealment. The difference is they can be shot through.

With Smoke it's the 3rd turn after you've thrown it before that amounts to anything, but hell i'll let the extra turn go. In these tight conditions even the 10yard cloud from that short a time will be enough.))

The Houten MG paused for about half a turn then blazed away again, cutting through tin and sheet metal like butter. Tyrson and one of the rifles feels a richochet glance off his armour but it hardly leaves a dent, the bullets are flying wildly through the shacks.

When 2nd section gets up and racing they reach the T and looking left & right see no enemies. Right would take you north, the direction of the advance. When you move down there Awareness check 15+ to see the little bell hanging up high on your right, connected to a thin wire strung along the ground but easily avoided. On no pass from the players the NPCs have failed it already so you blunder into it, sounding the bell and causing a grenade to be thrown out the door of a shack toward you, reflex save, followed by that Hout reg (20m) and three at the end of the alley (30m) leaning around corners and whatnot to shoot you with a trenchgun and three rifles. D4 base die to reply.

With 2nd section getting in there 1st section will be able to move forward into the alleys.
    Last edited by Shirocco; 2008-11-10 at 02:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Slip calls forward Hooky and 3rd to roughly parallel 1st's advance through the shacks.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

23. - Top - End - #83

PirateCaptain

Speak-Easy

"Pick anyone when you have to mate. Come on we're moving."
    Speak-Easy picks out 1 rifleman from each of the teams (except the command team, generic riflemen, not players, if possible) and assigns them to be message runners. With the messagers picked, Speak-Easy hauls the hulking radio onto his back and begins walking behind the command team, rifle in hand.

Back at Squezy & Slip's end of the world the Company frequency chirps to life. "2nd platoon reporting as Foxhound, dismounted and ready over." There's a burst of crackle and Company HQ (CHQ)'s signaller chirps in. "Copy Foxhound, advance northeast around right side of road, friendlies ahead over." "Confirmed Sparks, moving - Leaky, where is that Hout HMG? Over."
    Rolling to reply - (d20)[8]

"Leaky Bucket here, no clear line of sight, but definetly overlooking the right side of the road. Friendlies have engaged, but no casualties confirmed either side. The shacks may provide concealment, but not cover." He said into the receiver, dangling from his heavy radio. Speak-Easy then turned to his comrades. "Anybody see it clearly? Orders? He called out.

((PMing the Hout speakers))
    ((I speak Houten))
    I drew this line myself

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Twitch takes Stinks shouting passively and quickly moves on, taking point to put maximum distance between the two of them. Safely out of earshot, he mutters a string of profanities to himself as he charges through the danger zone towards the cover on the other side.

Awareness...
    (d20+10)[15]

Twitch snaps his hand up in the halt signal as he spots the wire, then turns to face everyone for a moment as he points the wire out. He carefully steps over and prepares to continue the charge.
    Last edited by mainiac; 2008-11-10 at 04:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

Poetry

Poetry moves his squad into the alleys, keeping good order and ready for action.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Frenis follows behind Poetry, awaiting action and/or orders.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

27. - Top - End - #87

Doc Turtlemurdered

The Doc nodded to the three first aiders to keep their heads down and avoid taking risks unless they had to. A first aider was more valuable than a rifleman - if a rifleman got himself shot, the first aider might be able to save them. Not so the other way around.

Fragrantstein seemed okay after the last battle, but there were two newcomers - A belligerent fellow fresh from the rifles who went by the nickname 'Ripper', and a slightly more reserved one by the name of 'Herbwest'.

28. - Top - End - #88

Stinky

Stinky clanks to a halt next to Twitch. He nods approval and redirects the troop with hand signals, Patting Twitch on the shoulder for 'good job'.

Edit- Good not goof...damn fat fingers...
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-11-10 at 09:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Tyrson smirked and followed Stinky's lead.
    awareness - (1d20+10)[14]
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Geyen
    Patting Twitch on the shoulder for 'goof job'.
    I find this typo quite hilarious.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-11-10 at 09:00 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".