New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

RangerGuy

Default Module Testing IC.

As a relatively new but powerful adventuring party, you are on your way out to the wilds, where you intend to find adventure.

Your last scheduled stop before traveling up into the northern hills and mountains is Karkesk, a Large Town. You have just arrived, it is late in the day and the sun is on it's way down.

The town has many people going about their business, but it is showing the effects of time, as the people have been leaving ever since the last war ended. Karkesk is a dying town.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Module Testing IC.

Orin

The thin fellow, dressed in explorer's clothing, looks about as the party enters the town, "Doesn't look like much... I suppose we should check out the local tavern."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-11-13 at 02:56 PM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf with the golden beard and the easy smile loosens his pack from his shoulders, letting it fall to the ground for a moment. He stretches, looking out over the town.

"At long last! My kind weren't meant for trekking above ground from one side of the world to another."

He met the party on the road, and was initially cautious, but after ascertaining that there were at least two priestly folk amoungst their number and that they were travelling in the same direction as him, he was happy to travel with in the company of a well-armed group. He introduced himself as Rothe- 'Rothe, son of Johann, of Clan Sternbauer', to be exact. He hefts up his pack once more.

"I say we don't waste time dallying about, and get straight down to business. We should find the nearest inn that serves some quality ale, and have a keg of it between us. Ill buy you good folk a round, for having giving me some conversation on the dusty road, what do you say?"
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2008-11-13 at 01:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

The tall, pale conjurer smiles, "I'm always happy when someone wants to buy me a drink. My thanks!"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-11-13 at 02:54 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dzeal

The tiefling's tail swayed from side to side silently, the only outward sign that he was glad that their day on the road was near its end. At the dwarf's offer, his face lit up with a good-natured smile uncharacteristic of his race. "That sounds like the perfect way to end a day such as this." He agreed quietly, though he didn't look at Rothe when he said it; instead his attention was on the sky, scanning back and forth in search of a small black dot against the pale blue.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

6. - Top - End - #6

Alan smiled, he wasn't too used to the company yet, but for some reason or the other, he felt that their presence was somewhat comforting, in a sense he was pretty confident about this current make up. Turning towards the dwarf he says, "Well, Rothe you better make sure your coin pouch is heavy, I'm pretty certain my stomach can now be called a bottomless hole, I'm just THAT hungry"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Evendur

"Tavern?" The tall, slim, blonde-haired human asked from the back with a smile. "It would be nice to sleep on something other than solid ground, at least for one night. We should take up on the opportunity before heading on into the hills."

[OOC: I apologise for my late arrival - been stuck at work on lates the past two nights and have been too exhausted to come online. I am here now and will check/post daily, as required.]
    Last edited by Zeuz; 2008-11-17 at 04:53 AM.

Characters

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

The wizard points to a building, "I do believe that might be what we're seeking!" He lets out his full, long-legged stride as he see's the object of his dry throat's affection.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Califer

Plodding along slightly behind the rest, Califer keeps to himself for the time. Glancing down at his armor, he notices a dent and frowns...

I've got to learn to move quicker...

With each step he took, the shield on his back slowly grew heavier. He was looking forward to propping his feet up for an evening, and while consuming quantities of ale didn't sound appealing at that moment, any place with chairs was alright by him. Hearing the wizard and seeing his chance to prop up his feet, Califer emphatically answers, "Yes, that places looks perfect!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

RangerGuy

As you make your way into the Tavern, some of the Patrons glance up at you suspiciously.

The establishment is good solid architecture, but it's obviously not been kept up well. There are several large tables piled in a corner, and more then half the room is empty.

A serving women is arguing with the bartender in the back as you enter, there are also several gruff looking men at one table, and a pair of caravan guards in a corner, uproariously drunk.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

The gangly mage immediately makes his way to the whatever empty table, large enough for the party, is nearest the fire. He seats himself, leaning his staff against the fireplace (one end of it blazing with an unburning flame). He gestures to the barmaid, "Service, if you please, my good woman." He looks her over to see if her appearance does credit to her profession.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Rothe

Rothe shoves a hand underneath his studded leather vest, groping for a pocket in the front of his jerkin, and shortly removes what looks like a small grey rock with some kind of diamond lodged in it. He steps 5 metres or so away from everyone.

Right, then. Rothe thinks. Don't like the look of those humans at the table over there. And those ones look like caravan guards... I know what a caravan guard gets paid, and it ain't much, so we'll keep an eye on them, too. You handle that, while I get to know our new friends a little better. Especially the demon-blood. You never can trust them.

He appears to concentrate for a moment, ((OOC to GM: Manifesting Read Thoughts on the psicrystal)) and then unceremoniusly drops the rock on to the ground underneath a table. Trails of ectoplasm suddenly whip out of it, forming small, spidery legs. The rock-encrusted diamond then scuttles away with alarming alacrity, silently disappearing being a table leg and into the shadows.

He moves back to his party, smiling.

"So! What's everyone having? Is this our table, Mister Orin?"

((OOC to GM: Psicrystal is keeping out of sight and moving to where it can read the thoughts of the rough looking men, then communicate them telepathically back to Rothe.))

13. - Top - End - #13

Dzeal

Dzeal did not locate the small feathery patch in the sky before they ducked into the mildly decrepit building, and he shrugged to himself, not too worried about the absence. When they moved into the common room of the bar, he glanced around briefly, and then took a seat at their table without seeming to pay anybody there much mind.
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2008-11-14 at 08:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

The brown haired mage nods, "Indeed... once the barmaid comes over I'm sure we can all arrange to lessen the load of gold in your beltpouch." He chuckles.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #15

Alan

Alan calmly set at the seat closest to the fire, he would have loved to join in the merry making, but he was just too tired, and needed some food asap. Like a young child he places his head on the table and for some reason or other he started humming an old tune he heard as a child.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

RangerGuy

As you all take your seats, the serving woman walks over and smiles, "Hello strangers, haven't seen many of your like since the war moved on. Can I get you anything? We have some mutton and mead or beer. Standard going rate is 1 silver for a meal and a few drinks."

She takes whatever orders you give and brings it to the table in a few minutes. In the meantime you all crit fail your listen checks.

(Rothe, I'll let you know what the psicrystal picks in a bit, since it's not within 30ft right now.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Evendur

Looking up at the barmaid, Evendur nodded a gesture of thanks and smiled. He let his blue eyes drift from one companion to the next before letting out a sigh of relief, dropping his pack to the ground beneath the table. His sword and shield he lay, leaning against his chair.

"At last," he began, starting to pick at the buckles of his armor. "You have no idea how uncomfortable this armor is. Someone give me a hand, will you?"

((OOC: Evendur will begin to take off his armour. I can't imagine sitting around in Full Plate is a pleasant experience. I believe the time is shortened with the aid of others..?))

Characters

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

((OOC to GM: It's a 60 ft cone, just fyi: the psicrystal moves at 30ft but the range is 60 :) ))

For a brief moment, Rothe scowls at Orin, before his face resumes it's normal cheery disposition. He laughs.

"And why would you assume that? I am not a wealthy dwarf; I simply have enough silver on my person to stand my companions a drink and some food. As a matter of courtesy."

He turns to Evendur. "Id think a man like you would travel with a squire or someone in tow, to help you. I never have understood why humans and elves are uncomfortable and slower, moving about in armor. Those long legs, I suppose... I would worry they were about to collapse under me, like matchsticks!"

He gets up, and begins to help remove Evendur's armor peice by peice, setting each peice aside with respectful care. He doesn't require direction, apparently having done this before.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

Orin chuckles, "I'm being humorous, I gladly accept your drink, and then I will stand you one. It's a way that humans have of ridding themselves of stress... playful banter. Of course spending a lot of money hardly seems necessary - one silver for a meal and several drinks sounds like the local economy is not doing well." He keeps half an eye on the barmaid to see if her going-away appearance equals or exceeds her coming-toward appearance.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-11-15 at 12:20 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

RangerGuy

The tavern visit is a normal one. No one attacks, and no Shadowy man tries to proposition you.

((The Barmaid is 36, and not at all in her prime. She's the Bartender's wife, and if you keep oogling her you'll get spit in your food.))

((The range of the spell is 60ft, the range of his natural telepathy to tell you what he has discovered is 30ft, which he is very far out of. When you pick him up later, I'll tell you what he learned.))

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Rothe

"Ah, then please forgive my pricklyness! It has been a long days march, perhaps I am more worn out then I first realised."

Rothe continues to assist Evendur, loosening one of his vambraces and gently tugging it away. He takes a moment to cast an approving eye over it, before setting it down.

"This is an exceptionally well-crafted suit you have, mister Evendur. The peices lock together like a puzzle, and the metal is a good, honest steel. Thrice-tempered, if Im not mistaken."

((OOC to GM: The Telepathic Link that Rothe and the psicrystal talk to each other through works up to a mile, like most of the other psicrystal abilities- it's the Telepathic Speech ability that allows it to mentally communicate with people other then it's owner that has a range of only 30 feet. Unless you want to house rule otherwise, which is fine.))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

RangerGuy

((OOC: Sorry, used to Familiars so I was expecting the level 1 ability to be limited to emotions, didn't read it at all and just skipped to level 3, check your PMs.))

23. - Top - End - #23

Dzeal

The ranger smiled at the conversation on the other side of the table. "Save getting in and out of my own, I never did know much about armors and the like. In fact, I'd hardly even noticed." He smiled easily. "Although, I do suppose that even from my uninformed background, it does look like a fine suit of steel. Does your family deal in such craftsmanship, friend dwarf?" Dzeal casually looks to see if the barmaid is on her way back yet.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rothe

"Not as commonly as some." Rothe says to Dzeal. "Most of our crafting expertise lies in other areas. Ah, excuse me..."

Rothe reaches down, picking up the same rock with a jewel embedded in it that he set down before, except this time the spidery legs are absent. Each member of the party "hears" a voice in speaking in their mind. The voice reminds you of Rothe, but less friendly, and more bored and... meticulous, somehow.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Rothe wishes to inform this group that the two humans sitting at the table with the dwarf over there are seriously considering attempting to rob this party. They have no appreciation for fine craftsmenship or beautiful objects, but they are aware that the several examples of superb armor and weaponcraft that the group posesses would be 'worth stealing', and to that end, they plan to meet you outside of town with some friends of theirs."

"The dwarf sitting with them is happily not part of their dishonourable scheme, and is thinking only that the party might be able to help him deal with 'the orcs'. Rothe wishes to apologise to anyone made uncomfortable by mental communication, but he expressed a preference that you be made aware of this information... 'on the quiet', I believe he put it."

Rothe sets his the rock down underneath the table, where it scurries off once more, and goes back to helping Evendur like nothing has happened.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Orin

Orin looks around the inn room and ponders aloud, "It's unusual to see a town failing like this unless there is some kind of local trouble. I wonder if there might be anything we can help them with." He looks at his friends at the table, "Perhaps once we've rested we should seek out those in authority and see if there is something we can assist in... certainly something more challenging than that large group of bandits we took out a couple of weeks back."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Califer

Califer frowns.

We just sat down and he's already put forth an open invitation for us to help others...and I haven't even gotten comfortable YET!

Irritated, Califer says nothing aloud, and just sits there trying to get comfortable as fast as he possibly can before anyone can respond to Orin's general question.

As a show of this, Califer throws his feet up on the table as an attempt to relax.

27. - Top - End - #27

Alan just sat there quietly, letting the rest of the crew do what they need to do, a mission wouldn't be too bad, its not like we can go live a life of luxury with what we have right now.. Alan thinks to himself.

28. - Top - End - #28

Dzeal

At first, Dzeal was startled and put off by the voice in his head, but toward the end of the telepathic communication, he'd already settled down about it. Adaptability was indeed the strongest tie he still carried to the rest of his race, and it wasn't as though he hadn't dealt personally with stranger. Not sure whether or not it was safe yet to speak aloud about it, though, he simply sits back in his seat and takes a long sip of his drink.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Evendur

"Ah! Thank you, Rothe. Yes, this is a fine piece of steel. Crafted to be more comfortable than others of its size, but its still uncomfortable to wear all the time." Evendur smiled, tugging at another buckle and strap.

Turning his attention to Orin, he frowned. "I agree with you Orin. This town looked too quiet - too empty when we arrived. And look around," Evendur swept his left arm out in a large gesture. "Even this Tavern is quiet. Its strange. Maybe the authorities would have some information - but it can wait until the morning.

His voice now no more than a whisper, Evendur leans into the centre of the table to address the entire party. "So..? How do we proceed with the party in the corner?

Characters

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Rothe resists the urge to snicker to himself, and instead shoots a quick smile at Orin. He whispers out of the side of his mouth, putting his back to the table with the humans and dwarf.

"Id let the dwarf come to us, if he's going to. As for the humans he's with... well, they're not planning anything tonight. I say we just be prepared when the time comes. In the mean time, I just want to enjoy my food and ale and a well-earned rest."