New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: The Champions of Miami (IC)

Dios

"Hero registration? What's that?"
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

The one-eyed hero looks at Dios, "If you want your actions as a super hero to be recognized legally, you need to register. It provides you with some protection for liability for damages you might cause while defending the public good and protects your identity when you testify against wrongdoers in court, hence it makes sure the whole process goes more smoothly. You wouldn't get much done as a hero if everyone you arrested was released on the technicality that your actions against them weren't approved."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Indeed. And while I understand the dire nature of this drug, I have to agree that I can't do much from a jail cell. Now, if there's some specific occurance tonight that requires immediate action, I might be convinced to do something. But I'm afraid that if it's just "another night", I can't risk being taken off the streets. I need to look at the long term here."
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

As Psiclops explains the benefits of registration, Liberty hears a very, very soft whisper from her right, all but inaudible. The voice must be located right next to her ear, provided it's not some kind of unusually knowledgeable hallucination. "Don't want to talk. Too many people..."

Having apparently explained its reasons for staying quiet, the voice lapses back into silence, presumably still listening.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #155

RogueGuy

Dios

Dios shakes his head and says "I have no need or intention of having any of my actions recognized. I'm not here to be a hero, I'm here because I want the drugs off the street."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Liberty nods her head slightly, acknowledging the voice. That's not the point. I don't care about recognition, either. The point is, as Psi said, that without being registered, our actions are not legally recognized.

This means that unless you wish to go vigilante and kill the perpetrators, then thye might get away with their crimes, free of charge. It also means that their lawyers will come after you with financial charges for damages, destruction of property, medical bills, and whatever else they can think of.

And legally, they will be right. And you will end up broke, maybe even in superpower prison. I don't know about you, but I don't like being locked up.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

7. - Top - End - #157

RogueGuy

Dios

"Judging from what I saw, I don't think we need to worry about lawyers . . . unless creepy crab monsters that wear human bodies as disguises get lawyers. While I sympathize with you and your legal problems, I think those of us that don't have those problems need to deal with the problem at hand. Namely, what is our move."
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2009-01-06 at 08:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

The psionic hero looks surprised behind his mask, "I don't know anything about creepy crab monsters in human costumes... the people we fought were all humans or mutated humans, so regardless of your personal experiences I have no intention of killing drug dealers on the notion that they may not be human. I'm already responsible for one man dying through my lack of experience... I have no intention of building up a body count."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #159

RogueGuy

Dios

"I'm not planning on killing anyone I don't have to, but as I said, I saw small creatures wearing a humans skin. I think we are dealing with far more than a simple small drug ring.

However, if you do not wish to risk your own freedom, I understand, but for now those of us willing to do something need to."

10. - Top - End - #160

RogueGuy

Dios

Dios pauses to think a moment and then says, "no, my apologies, my desire to get the job done got in front of my better judgment. You are right to want to work within the law and I would advise any others among you who are not registered to do so. Here is what we should do for now, those of use who are already able to fight, we should go now and those of us who cannot, due what you legally can to aid us for now."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

Psiclops does a double take at Dios' sudden shift. Is he bipolar or something? He nods cautiously, "As I said, I cannot help directly until this is done, but I have methods of gathering information, which I can pass to those who wish to start the process immediately. Dios, you also need to look toward registering, I think."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Okay. So the obvious question is, who is registered and who is not? Liberty looks at the others. Waiting for their answers.

She also listens for her new friends answer.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2009-01-06 at 10:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm registered. A more prudent question might be who isn't registered and intends to? Although I hate to let the Hype epidemic get worse while we fill out paperwork, I won't be able to do much myself."

"While we are waiting for" Legion's jaw tightens, and he practically spits out his next words. "paperwork to clear we might as well try to find out what we can about Beauvais and these crab-people. Voice? Are you still with us? Do you have any leads that we could follow?"
    Last edited by Odin the Ignoble; 2009-01-07 at 12:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

Psiclops blinks his one eye, "You mean there is another individual who only manifests as a voice?" He looks around. "Do we know anything about this entity?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2009-01-07 at 12:08 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

I just met her last night. All I know is she led me here and doesn't like me driving fast. She frowns at Legion.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Again, to me, it isn't fear of being locked up personally. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I have to look at the potential good I could accomplish if I'm patient...At any rate, I'm currently mid-registration. And as I mentioned, if you get a sample to me, I can attempt to analyze it for base components, to better determine where those may be coming from."
    The large armored man pauses a moment. "Crab creatures or no, I'm not going to start throwing around lethal force. Unless they're perfectly immune to things like being knocked unconscious and tasers, I doubt it'll come to that."
    He then goes silent, seemingly waiting for this "Voice" to say something.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't know anything about crab-things," the voice says aloud at last, sounding puzzled somehow, or maybe reluctant to speak. "Could follow Beauvais. He spends evenings at his temple; don't know where he sleeps, or spends his days."

"He's worried. He wanted to turn on the people who give him the Hype, but now he's scared he can't do it. He thinks the Little Cuban dealers tried that. "

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

Psiclops nods in the direction he can best guess that voice is coming from, "Good day, Voice... is there some other name you would prefer that we called you?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

A brief silence follows the question, and then, "Like what?"

20. - Top - End - #170

RogueGuy

Dios

Dios looks at the area the voice is coming from and takes out a small digital camera and snaps a quick video trying to see if the voice is visible on it.

"I will be registering as soon as it is convenient to do so," he says, "the only immediate threat I know of are the two . . . things in the hospital. Does anyone know of anything else?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

Psiclops chuckles, "Voice it is, then..." He looks at the others, Legion in particular. "I'll take the information I've learned here and I will see what I can find out. Then I will contact you again at the previous phone number. I know that letting hype stay on the streets a moment longer than necessary is a bad thing, but in the long run, registering will save lives... again, I hesitate to comment on things I know little about, but Legion. You might want to consider what these kids are doing... getting addicted to hype to give them the feel - or even the temporary reality of super powers to your own situation. It is enlightening to know that daemonic entities exist... making bargains with them to gain power and knowledge. How is that different from a hype addict? Just something for you to think about."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Legion chuckles. "My.. current condition, is far from voluntary. I'd be happy to tell you more about it when I have the time. I'll see about getting a sample of hype for Blazing Knight to analyze. We should arrange another meeting, to compare notes before moving against Beauvais. Does tomorrow back here at the same time work?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds good to me.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"It works for myself as well."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

So, um, Voice. Do you need a ride anywhere?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Dios's little camera displays nothing out of the ordinary. Well, nothing out of the ordinary besides a group of costumed heroes. On cursory inspection, there are no clues to the voice's source; it's hard to tell whether he even photographed the correct spot.

"No." the voice replies after a couple moments.

When Ms. Liberty leaves:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((This isn't something that'll happen no matter what—just something that the voice will be saying before Liberty gets back in her car; I figured I'd post it now so that it's not skipped over.))

As Liberty walks away from the others, the voice says softly. "Um. Would just fall through the back of the car if you went too fast. But... thanks."

27. - Top - End - #177

Zombie

The scene out front of the Miami Beach Convention Center is buzzing with activity. Ten police units line the front of the building, with several support vehicles and lines of officers and security barriers. The press is starting to arrive, as is a small crowd.

The front of the building, lined with glass doors, is covered by several screens of light blue energy, just behind the doors themselves, and just behind every window. In addition, a large hole in the roof, about the size of an automobile, also appears to be aglow. The wreckage of a car, once a beautiful concept vehicle, lies sprawled out on the street, with evidence of an impact on the opposite building. A creative imagination can reconstruct the words 'the car of tomorrow' along the side of the twisted metal.

Among a small group of uniformed officers near an unmarked car, the large frame of Detective Lieutenant Addler can be made out, coordinating efforts while listening to a headset held up to one ear. It is clear that he is focused and others are looking to him for orders.

Other than the blue fields, twisted metal, and the resulting impact zones, there is no sign of violence, or even activity, from the building being so scrutinized.

[OOC] Due to means of transportation, and other factors, Psiclops is the first to 'arrive.' Thereafter, Legion and Dios will arrive prior to Liberty and the Blazing Knight. The 'Voice' may or may not be already present. ;)

Psiclops is up.
    'When you're lo-oo-ony, then you just don't give a fig.
    Man's so pu-oo-oony, and the universe so big.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    And if life should treat you bad...
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Psiclops

Use telepathy to contact Detective Adler's mind.

Detective Adler, this is Psiclops, as you've requested I am not pursuing hero work in person; however, a colleague asked if I could help here. I have mentally scanned the convention center. If you wish, I can give you a report of what I have sensed...

Lord Bayushi
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Adler indicates assent, I will pass to him what information I have gleaned. Then I will ask him if he wishes me to continue to report to him or to anyone else. OOC: I'm not rolling dice or spending END yet because it isn't in combat, let me know when you want me to start that. :)
    Last edited by Wiz; 2009-02-07 at 10:50 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #179

RogueGuy

Dios

Dios will scope the scene out from distant rooftops before moving in. When he arrives, he will mingle the crowd and try to get more information while attempting to spot people from the other night.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Legion

Legion teleports to a position a few yards away from Detective Adler and the other policemen with a muffled bampf. He then walks slowly towards the group, trying his best to appear unmenacing. "I'm here, I contacted some others who might be able to help. They should be here shortly. What is the situation?"