New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sellswords of Punjar IC

While the three others wait, the two armored adventurers search the ill-kept room. It would seem to be the office of the fence who sells the merchandise in the other room, but his records are kept in some sort of code.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make Intelligence checks to deciper the code. The others can too if they come over and take a look at the records.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aurelius

The warforged takes a peek, certainly that only divine inspiration is going to help him understand a cipher.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence Check: (1d20)[17]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

And lo and behold, such inspiration seems to strike Aurelius, as he sees how the code flows together and understands it. Searching through the pages, they are indeed records of transactions for this fence. Most of them are, as one would expect from the sale of items of the...quality that you all saw, pittances, worth no more than a silver or two. Five entries from the last month, however, catch his eye:

Belt, chn/sharped b.Abbess Jeny/A3
    sword, 2hnd/brandy coved b Clovis/Trans. t. Cpt. Irocar
    dagger, slayr/right bloody beat b. Tuld the Toad/T11
    cloak, sylv/cribbed b. Blackjack Droug/O7
    staff, ???/resurrected b. Lud the Magsman (deceased)/Trans. t. Mad. Zeb'oltha

As he looks over it though, from behind the cutain to the rear of the room, a figure leaps out and stabs him in the back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Deft Strike by ???
    (1d20+9)[27]
    (1d4+3)[6] + sneak attack (2d6)[3]
    Awesome attack roll, not so much damage roll. 9 damage.

Turning, Aurelius and Beal see a slightly portly human, more graceful and quick than his size implies, armed with a dagger. "Try to steal from me, will you? I don't know how you two got past my guards, but I'll finish what they started!"

Init:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kizzy
    Bael
    Aldrok
    Aurelius
    The Fence
    Aveeno

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-01-22 at 11:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

Aurelius

Whirling and bringing his blade around, Aurelius thinks for a moment that city folk lead terribly violent lives. That thought passes quickly, and he calls to the others.

Ambushed! Block his retreat!

5. - Top - End - #185

Kizzy

Seeing the fat man stab the big metal guy, Kizzy springs forward, risking a blow, and draws out his rapier, attempting to run the guy through in a quick, hard blow.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor - Draw rapier
    Move - Move 2 Squares E, 1 Square NE, into Flanking
    Standard - Torturous Strike on Fency, Attack (1d20+10)[13] vs AC, Damage (2d8+8)[19] and (2d6+3)[10] Sneak Attack
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Reacting unusually quickly, Bael brings his hammer down on the new opponent. You'll not get a second chance to strike one of us in the back, he says with barely concealed contempt. Shifting himself to the open space left of him, Bael's voice again takes on that oddly resonant tone. See how you do against someone who's ready for you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Attack Fatty McFency
    Shielding Smite - (1d20+8)[17] - vs AC
    Damage - (2d10+6)[8][9](23)
    If the attack hits, the +2 Power bonus to AC will go to Kizzy if he gets hit by an AoO during his move or Aurelius if he does not.
    Move: Shift 1 square east, bringing him directly north of Fatty.
    Minor: Divine Challenge on Fatty
    Edit: Man, I'm gonna be pissed if I've wasted an encounter power AND those sweet damage rolls
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-27 at 08:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187

Aldrok

Hearing the signs of battle in the next room, Aldrok sighs. "What have they gotten up to now?" He moves to the doorway, sees the fat man, and quickly fires an eldritch blast his way.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: To where Kizzy was on the map.
    minor: curse Fence
    Standard: Eldritch blast
    attack - (1d20+4)[14] vs Ref
    damage - (1d10+4)[6] and (1d6)[1] curse damage

8. - Top - End - #188

Aurelius

Moradin's beard!

Swinging the 6' blade over his head, Aurelius delivers a powerful two-handed blow that is almost unavoidably swift.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Divine Strength
    Standard: Piercing Strike
    Attack: (1d20+8)[22] vs Reflex
    Damage: (2d12+10)[24] damage

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

As the Kizzy moves around the fence for positioning, he takes a quick slash at the kobold.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[12]
    (1d4+3)[6]
    Total miss

With each new enemy that enters the room, the fence becomes more and more worried, not expecting such a organized attack. Finally, as Aurelius inflicts a gash on the fence's arm, his outrage at the prospective thieves is overwhelmed by his survival instinct. Dropping the dagger, he becomes much more cooperative, speaking quickly.

"So that's how you got past my men, how many of you are there? What is it you're after? Gold? Treasure? I can provide either, just let me go free."
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-01-27 at 10:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Bael looks over the man with a smoldering gaze as he surrenders, attempting to discern whether he has in fact given up and wishes to be cooperative or is simply looking for the nearest exit, be it literal or metaphorical. Until his "investigation" concludes he says nothing, making it obvious he is studying the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+5)[24]
    Insight - (1d20+7)[19]

Edit: Huh. That should make my "good cop" routine tougher, may be running on untrained Intimidate here...
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-27 at 10:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Aveeno

Stepping quickly up to the fence, Aveeno's katana blade flashes in the dim light, halting a mere hair's breadth away from the man's throat. "Yes. Gold, treasure, you'll provide that to us and more." Reaching forward, the tiefling grabs the fence's shirt roughly with claw-tipped fingers, probably tearing out a few chest hairs in the process. "You'll do that, or they'll kill you. Right here, right now. But more than your ill-gotten money, you're going to tell us how to find the Beggar-King, and anything else you know about that pet he keeps." Grinning, he bares pointed, demonic teeth at the man. "And that you'll do because I told you to. However dangerous they are, I'm much worse."

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions obvious, assuming we're moving into a non-combat encounter.
    INTIMIDATE-(d20+8)[18] Feel free to apply whatever bonuses you feel appropriate for being sliced up and surrounded by a clearly superior force who appears to have no hesitation to kill thieves.
    Ferret in the Playground!

12. - Top - End - #192

Aurelius

Aurelius lowers the blade that he had raised to deliver a finishing blow. Still in the grip of a divinely-inspired fighting rage (eyes glowing visibly behind his visor), he stoops to retrieve the man's weapon and then glowers at him silently.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+9)[18]
    We do have somebody with Diplomacy, right?
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-01-27 at 10:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Barely softening his stance, Bael slips his hammer into its holster but keeps his hand on it. I'd listen to him, friend, Bael says to the thug. if you give us what we're after we just might look the other way while you run off. Had things gone the other way, would your guards have made the same offer? Would you? But we'll need some assurance you won't just go warning ahead. He moves up closer to the thug, taking his hand off the hammer. So you've got a couple options here. To my mind the best bet is you do as the... nice... gentleman to my right asks. Then you'll swear an oath to Pelor that you'll do naught but head to the nearest tavern and drink yourself to sleep. Drawing even closer now, almost in his face, he whispers. Did you feel it? When I challenged you, did you feel the power of that oath? Oaths sworn to the Lightbringer have power around me, friend. Don't think that breaking it will cost you nothing. But if you do as we ask, I swear that I will keep that fellow with the sword away from your throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hokay, so let's get a couple more rolls done.
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[20] - trying to play good cop and make him more agreeable.
    Bluff - (1d20+5)[22] - cause I'm talking out my rear about that oath bit.
    Intimidate - (1d20+5)[9] - cause there's still a threat in there.
    Insight - (1d20+7)[19] - proactive, in case he starts talking and I need to turn on the B.S. detector.
    N.B. for the players - Bael won't go back on his word if he's on the level.
    Edit: Yeesh, hopefully we can call that intimidate superfluous. Just wanted a couple options for how it comes across to the thug.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-27 at 11:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

The fence wilts before the intimating gazes and threats of the paladins and the tiefling. Seeing a way out, he does what Bael asks "Check my back room, on the south wall, there's a secret panel. Behind it is where I keep my more valuable goods. Go, help yourself. As for the Beggar King, I'll admit I don't know many specifics, he just lets me set up shop here and doesn't bill me much, though he does get first pick of what I collect." he grumbles a bit at this last bit, "You're in the right place though, the buildings here are his home, this is merely the entrance. Most of it is built together, 'cept for the carnal tower itself, you can get through either through the alleyway, or by those stairs. I haven't seen the king since this Shadow appeared though, so I don't what that pet business is about. I do know most of his mercs, whoever they are, have been pulled back to these buildings, so keep a weather eye out for them. One last warning," he nods at the stairway, "Make sure to check those stairs, they're probably trapped. With what, I don't know. So there, can I go? Swear to Pelor I'll head for naught but a tavern."

Bael:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your senses tell you that he speaks the truth.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-01-27 at 11:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Turning to Aveeno, Bael says I think he's done his part, don't you? Should we have our man outside follow him to be sure?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+5)[11] if needed, though we could pretend Ravilas is still there pretending he's a lamp-post.

Edit: Ah well, can only expect to get away with so many untrained checks before an important one turns out less than useful.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-27 at 11:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Aveeno

Retracting his katana but not releasing the pitiful man, Aveeno sheathes the long blade. Slowly drawing a dagger, cuts a long, shallow slash into the fence's cheek. "You are marked, wretch." Bringing the knife's edge up to his mouth, Aveeno licks the redness from the dagger. "And I have tasted your blood. Never will you escape my wrath should you betray me."

Shoving the fence to the ground, the tiefling spits. "I don't think that will be necessary, my friend. He'll do as he's told...he knows the consequences of disobeying." Aveeno back to the prone man, "What the Nine Hells are you still doing here?"

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate-(d20+8)[25]
    Bluff-(d20+5)[10]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

The fence flinches as Aveeno's blade slices him. As Aveeno asks him his last question, the fence gets up and runs out of the room, back to the alleyway. He may doubt some of your more extreme bluffs, but he knows you are able to kill him if you wish.

With him gone, you all are in the same room, now devoid of threats, but a bit more chaotic than before.

18. - Top - End - #198

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Once the fence leaves, Bael utters a brief prayer asking that no further harm come to the man this night, and that he keep his oath. With luck, he'll cause us no more trouble, he turns to Aveeno, but was that last bit really necessary? He'd already broken, and wasn't lying to us. Don't suppose there's any chance of at least part of whatever we take from him going to some nobler purpose than our own enrichment? he asks with a bit of a grin. Well, let's see what we're dealing with, anyway. Does one of you want to check that stairwell for the trap he warned us about?

Bael then enters the office and looks for the secret panel he mentioned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+2)[22]
    Edit: Hot damn! Guess Pelor appreciated the prayer. Side note to GM: I figured that being straight Good would allow Bael to justify misleading the fence for the sake of preventing a further loss of life, and that "Thou shalt speak no falsehood" was more of an LG thing.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-28 at 04:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Aveeno

"Necessary? Maybe not. But you can bet your life he's not going to tell anyone soon. You may have tried to put the fear of a god in him, but I certainly put the fear of me in him."
    Walking over to Aurelius, he examines the warforged's fresh injury. "You'll be fine. Not much as can harm you, right? I suppose some of what we take can go to a nobler purpose. After all, these thieves stole it from the people in the first place, it should go back to them. Minus a reasonable...finder's fee." Grinning, Aveeno picks up the fence's dropped dagger and stows it in his pack, wrapping the blade in cloth until a sheath can be found for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiring Word bonus heal: (d6)[2]
    Last edited by Tanaar; 2009-01-28 at 04:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Aurelius

Handing the dagger over to Aveeno when he starts looking for it, Aurelius goes over to look at the stairs. Not that I could disable a trap even if I found it, short of stumbling into it. He considers that possibility for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aurelius picked the dagger up about six posts up, but you're more than welcome to it. Not like he could make any use of it, anyway.
    Last edited by Vox Clamantis; 2009-01-28 at 05:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

As Bael draws aside the ratty blanket, he sees a simple cot crammed into a small, dirty nook. Roaches scurry out of sight into the cracks in the plastered walls. An unlit lantern sits on one end of the bed, atop a old wooden crate. Searching the room, he finds a pouch containing 15 gp, 8 sp, and a tarnished silver cloak pen fashioned in the shape of a wyvern on the crate. Along the south wall, he notices a portion of the wall that is of more recent construction than the rest. It is a secret door, behind which he finds a small alcove where a large chest, closed by a heavy lock.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a strength check to pull it out of the alcove.

As Aveeno wraps up the dagger, he notices that it is especially well made, perfectly balanced. Looking more closely, he notices some runes inscribed on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a +1 dagger.

22. - Top - End - #202

OldWizardGuy

Bael

Attaching the pouch to his belt, Bael decides to ask his peers whether they might accept a few of the coins going to a charitable purpose. He then removes his shield to get a better brace on the chest, and strains to pull it from its resting place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength - (1d20+3)[4]
    And promptly falls straight on his rear. Re-trying in OOC.

Upon failing to do so, he picks up his shield and heads back out into the other room. Aurelius and Kizzy, I may need your assistance, he says to the group. There's a chest in this room with a heavy lock, and I've having a demon of a time getting it out of its resting spot. In addition to these few coins and pen, he gestures to his new pouch, there's also a lantern if anyone wants to carry the light. I'd been thinking of giving the coin to charity once we're through this, unless we find them necessary.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-28 at 09:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

Aurelius

Setting aside his blade, the warforged tries his hand at moving the chest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics: (1d20+2)[15]
    Damn armor penalties!

24. - Top - End - #204

Kizzy

Kizzy just kinda stood there, rapier drawn, so the man would know better than to make a quick movement or be run through. He sheathes his rapier and examines the office as the others grab treasure and discuss things.

When he hears the calls for a lockpick, Kizzy perks up, and smiles. "There in a minute, boss-man, let me get me picks out." Kizzy goes to the chest and starts to work.

Spoiler
    Show

Thievery to pick the lock - (1d20+15)[20] (+12 natural, +3 from my fancy new picks, not bad at all for level 1 :P)
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2009-01-28 at 11:28 PM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Working together, Bael and Aurelius lift the chest and pull it out of the alcove. Once that is complete, Kizzy steps up and sets to work on the lock. Despite it's large size, it is very simplistic, and he opens it with ease. However, lifting the top of the chest causes the front to collapse, revealing seven drawers, each marked with a chalk symbol.

O7
    A dagger symbol
    A skull symbol
    A3
    A dragon symbol
    T11
    A crescent moon symbol

Each drawer has it's own lock as well.

26. - Top - End - #206

Kizzy

"Hmm... This is sorta weird... Lessee here..."

Suspecting the device might be trapped, Kizzy inspects it carefully for traps before going to work. He then begins picking the locks, starting with the dagger drawer first, then doing the rest in order from bottom to top.

"Keep an eye out for thugs, while I work here."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception to search for a trap - (1d20+6)[20]
    Theivery to disable trap (if one is found) - (1d20+15)[27]
    Thievery - A dagger symbol - (1d20+15)[34]
    Thievery - A crescent moon symbol - (1d20+15)[23]
    Theivery - T11 - (1d20+15)[26]
    Theivery - A dragon symbol - (1d20+15)[20]
    Theivery - A3 - (1d20+15)[24]
    Theivery - Skull symbol - (1d20+15)[31]
    Theivery - O7 - (1d20+15)[24]

As he picks the locks, he places the contents to his left side. He bats away any hands that get near the loot until he's done, muttering something about "Keepin' check."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Aldrok

"Hmm, what do you think the markings mean?"
    He glances the chest over, taking interest in the symbols.

Spoiler
    Show

arcana - (1d20+7)[17] to detect magic on the chest.
    intelligence - (1d20+2)[9] to decipher the symbols.

It sucks only having one skill tied to my spellcasting stat.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Aveeno

Joining the others near the chest, the tiefling takes out the curious dagger again, admiring the workmanship. Tossing it to the kobold, he says, "Hey, Kizzy. You might get more use outta this than me. And those letters, numbers, and symbols sound like they matched up to what you found in the fence's logbook."

29. - Top - End - #209

Aurelius

Having been the one to decipher the log, Aurelius doesn't feel (for once) that he's intruding. He takes a moment to admire the chest's craftsmanship.

Perhaps a puzzle of sequences?

30. - Top - End - #210

OldWizardGuy

Bael

I think they may just be a reference of some nature, Bael interjects. Gesturing to A3, O7, and T11 in sequence, he adds We should have a belt, cloak and dagger in these drawers. There wasn't any reference to the others, and two of the items mentioned were transferred to others if I remember right.

He next takes the pen out of the pouch and examines it more closely, seeing if anything about it catches his eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+2)[17] - to look for anything unusual about the pen beyond its stylization.
    Religion - (1d20+5)[21] - to see if the pen itself rings any bells
    Last edited by Nahal; 2009-01-29 at 01:08 PM.