New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Last Days of Askess

Lerulia. The city considered by most as the greatest in Western Errion stands lit by the reddish-orange light of the evening sun. Shadows of sails cover the expansive docks to the North, while to the South lies a pristine, white beach. Separating the two is a massive stone fortress, towering over the crowd below. The rest of the city, leading inland is a beautiful painting of the surrounding buildings and landscape, doused in the late-day sunlight. The orange glow from each rooftop makes it look as if the entire city were burning. It is a stunning sight, yet the focus of the day is not upon the city, but the pavilion outside the fortress, where the local Lerulians have gathered to take part in the retirement party of Askess' greatest Admiral, Endran Taradom.

A few tents are set up, each housing tables spread with all kinds of food and drink imaginable. There are five entertainers on one side of a nearby stage, four playing different instruments and one singing. On the other side, three men dressed in very elaborate clothing are having a conversation. One is recognizable as the Endran himself, while another is obviously the Count of Lerulia. A large group of people are sitting on chairs pointed toward the stage watching the band perform a merry tune, while the rest of the crowd wander about the pavilion and chat with each other.

In the center of the pavilion stands a tall object hiding beneath a sheet. Two guards stand next to it, ensuring that no one would snoop under the cover. Surrounding it were some groups of people who had gathered, pointing toward it and discussing what it could be. A couple children charge through the crowd and run a quick lap around the mysterious object, then continue to chase each other from tent to tent.

It was going to be a festive night.

Spoiler
    Show
    (A quick note as well. For speech, please choose a color that's easy to read on a white background. So, try to avoid bright yellow. )

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Zarah; 2008-09-29 at 11:11 PM.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Days of Askess

Ras walks through the crowd, sipping at a drink he'd picked up from one of the more exotic vendors. It tasted of oranges and mangoes, and was cool to the touch. He could only imagine the vendor was taking quite a loss, selling chilled orange drinks for only a few copper.

He glanced at Phoerix, walking to his left. "How long do you think we have until they're too drunk to notice we've slipped away?"
    Last edited by TigerHunter; 2008-09-29 at 09:22 PM.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoerix looks over at his young friend and smiled at the drink he was holding. Phoerix nursed a crisp cool ale himself. "Not too much longer, I should think; they were well on their way to merry forgetfulness a little while ago."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Though necromancy would solve the second problem and render the third irrelevant...
    But then you'd be dealing with explosive zombie fish, which is... pretty damn awesome, actually.
    As they pounded in the stake
    I thought I heard them say
    “Become like us or you will be slain”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ras makes a non-committal grunt. "The sooner the better. Pomp and circumstance is all well and good, but I'm sweltering in this cloak." He tugged at his collar in an attempt to allow what little breeze there was to cool him. "The drink is rather good, though. Fine drink is probably one of the few things I'll miss about this place."
    Last edited by TigerHunter; 2008-09-29 at 09:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

On stage, next to the band, a tall, pale-looking elf begins singing along with the tune they are playing. It is an elegant voice, but the song does not particularly stir the audience. A few listen intently while the others continue with their conversations, allowing the music to serve only as background noise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aye, Phoerix nodded but there is a much larger world out there than just fine drink, in fact I've heard that my good friend Averi Vintus has made an appearance here. We should find him see how he has done these past few years.
    Spoiler
    Show

Though necromancy would solve the second problem and render the third irrelevant...
    But then you'd be dealing with explosive zombie fish, which is... pretty damn awesome, actually.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

A tall, muscular man walks through the crowd, carrying a large crate. A man sees him and calls out.
    Noah! Over here!
    Noah carries the crate over to the man's table, sets it down, and carefully pries it open with the blade of his shortsword.
    You're a real lifesaver, Noah. There's no way I would've been able to carry that all the way from the docks.
    It's no trouble.
    The man pulls out a small bag of gold.
    Here. It's the least I can do.
    Noah waved his hand dismissively.
    You don't owe me anything.
    There has to be something I can do.
    Noah eyed the crate. It was filled with tropical fruit imported from the Elven lands. The man laughed.
    Help yourself! You've earned it!
    Noah smiled and pulled out a small bunch of ruby-colored berries.
    Enjoy the festival.
    You too.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

8. - Top - End - #8

Averi finishes the song a minute later and sighs softly. It takes him a few seconds to notice Phoerix in the crowd. Signaling to the band to continue without him, Averi steps down from the stage and makes his way over to his friend.

"It's been forever, Phoerix! It seems the years have treated you well, friend!"
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-09-29 at 10:38 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoerix reaches over and embraces the elf briefly. Averi! How have you been? And your music was beautiful; it brought me back to the Foundation. He pauses and steps back, slightly chagrined, and motions to the man next to him. Forgive me, where are my manners? Averi this is my student and friend, Ras Vyserion. Ras, this is Averi Vintus, the man I mentioned earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"A pleasure." Ras reaches up to shake the elf's hand.

11. - Top - End - #11

The grey elf smiles. "It makes me glad to see you again, friend." Turning to Ras, Averi nods. "And it's good to meet you, as well." The singer grasps Ras' hand and shakes it.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-09-29 at 10:56 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

You must be thirsty, here, let me buy you something and then we'll talk over the intervening years. Phoerix motions his two friends off to a small cafe by the tents
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Ras follows, draining the last of his mimosa and wondering what he should try next. The red wine, perhaps? He should avoid drinking too much, though. It would hardly do to begin his life--his real life--with a splitting hangover.

14. - Top - End - #14

"Disciple Marlin.. Your foresight never ceases to amaze me. One last trial before dawn." Lyra susurrated to herself as the amber gleam of the city came into view. She paused, enjoying her vantage point with the city set against the expansive shore and ocean. She slipped into a road-side glade, and exchanged her travel-torn garments for meticulously kept, cerulean blue silks. She completed the last mile of her journey in silent contemplation.

A tug awoke her from meditative trace; All around her, the bustle of festival swelled. Lively Music and the scent of temptatious foods, the laugher of drunken men. A feast laid out for a hero.

"Excuse me, But I'd like to get through."
    A man with half-painted face and patchwork costume requested, his face lit up with a grin. Lyra bowed her head, and let the man pass, as her eyes soaked in the bustle and merriment. She slipped from the edge of the stair leading to the platform. Twice she blink, before she let her voice soar over the crowd.

"Rilan!"
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-29 at 11:36 PM.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

15. - Top - End - #15

"Nothing too strong, Phoerix. It seems I've no head for alcohol."

The grey elf nonetheless follows after his friend, eager to catch up with him. He adjusts his violet cloak as he walks with Phoerix.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Rilan was intently listening to the festive music before a familiar voice brought him back to the present. Lyra? He quickly gets up and picks his way through the crowd, towards his friend. Her familiar cerulean blue garments separate her from the crowd, and he speedily closes the gap, dodging all manner of jugglers, acrobats, and milling sightseers of every shape and size. With a smile, he greets Lyra and falls into step with her. "How have you been? My father still speaks of you fondly."

17. - Top - End - #17

Straining to hear over the ambiance, Lyra leans close to her friend, cooing to her friend, "It's Homecoming. I return to the Temple at dawn." Her gaze lingers on the festivities, searching for the Admiral Endran Taradom, "I had not anticipated the draw of this; All the banners are hung out, arms and armor polished, and the harlequins dance, all in in honor of.."

Shaking her head, she snaps her eyes back to Rilan, "I have been very well, thank you. Is your Father in attendance? I would enjoy his company tonight, and yours as well, Rilan."
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-30 at 12:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Imp

Noah very nearly avoids colliding with the running rogue. He watches as the two young ones meet, sighs, and moves on, finding an empty seat near the stage.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ras puts down a few copper pieces in front of a vendor and pours himself a glass of wine. "So, Mr. Vintus. How did you come to be performing here?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Rilan grins a bit at Lyra's distraction with the proceedings. "It is quite something, isn't it? He should be here soon, once he finishes his duties at the barracks... he didn't want to miss it. I'm sure he would like to see you as well."

21. - Top - End - #21

Lyra sets her pack in front of her, the rustle of her gear lost in a river of other sounds, "An Alpha Omega for my journey. Properly fitting." Keeping her gaze lock on Rilan, Lyra opines, "Today's journey has been arduous. I would like to find a place to sit, and partake in some of the over-abundant refreshment provided."

Lyra lifts her pack after scanning the area, heading for a lonesome looking table. Finding a bearded man at the table (Noah), she coos, "Excuse me. Would you mind if we share this table with you?"

22. - Top - End - #22

You notice heads begin turning toward the stage, where the third figure who had spoke with Endran and the Count just moments before, steps forward and clasps his hands behind his back. He is young, but carries an air of authority about him.

"Ladies and gentlement,"came his voice calling from the stage. "We will be starting the unveiling ceremony shortly." With his announcement finished for now, he spins back to the others waiting behind him and returns to his conversation.

23. - Top - End - #23

Imp

Without turning his head, Noah pulls a chair out for the lady. His attention remains focused on the stage.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2008-09-30 at 03:38 PM.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaning back in his chair by the cafe, Phoerix sees heads turning and people scrambling to get their seats or to press closer. He smiles in bemusement as a blue-clad young woman and her tall friend make their way to a table near by occupied by an even larger roughly dressed man, blocking his view of the stage momentarily. Well, it looks as if its about to begin, sorry Averi, you and Ras might have to shorten your chat in a little. Phoerix smiles in anticipation.
    Last edited by phoerix; 2008-09-30 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

"Well," replies Averi, "When I heard that there was an entertainment position open for this event, I thought I'd offer my talents."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mm. I see." Ras turns to Phoerix. "You certainly seem to be enjoying yourself. Happen to know what's under that sheet?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Lyra inclines her head toward Noah, softly thanking him. She then settles herself, angling the blade of her guisarme toward safety. She sits with her back straight and posture trim, before twisting the ends of her lips, "Rilan, would you be so kind as to grab us, and this man here, something cool to quaff?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Imp

Noah turns his head and briefly examines the woman sitting next to him. He turns his head back to the stage.
    I don't need anything.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoerix snapped out of thought, Oh, yes, quite enjoying myself. He frowns slightly and squints, peering intently at the cloth wrapped mystery on the stage. Nothing concrete, as of yet, and I wasn't able to pull any strings and take an idea for myself. Its likely a statue or icon of some sort to honor our dear hero. Phoerix grimaced I really must try harder next time. He smiled at his friends. Ah well, you win some and you loose some.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Lyra glimpses at Noah for a moment, "As you wish, Sir. The invitation will remain open, if you reconsider."

The smile fades from her face, as she turns her eyes toward the Admiral's table. Her face and features wax into an expressionless mask.

Spoiler
    Show

K. Nobility and Royalty, trying to figure out who the 3rd man is.
    (1d20+6)[17]
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-30 at 06:08 PM.