New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Truths (IC)

Morana

"It was expedient. They were rivals; they would have continued to make trouble if not removed permanently. It is sometimes possible to plan events so that a former rival is more useful than he is inconvenient, but this takes more time and effort."

"Besides, a reputation such as that can be a useful tool to have."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fern's eyes widen for a split second as the mark is revealed. She returns to a normal expression almost immediately, but it's obvious that she had not expected this. She puts on a polite smile and begins walking a bit closer to the man--her footsteps sound as though she's walking over broken glass, though none is on the floor at all. Her voice is even as she says, "Indeed it does. Either you're a fool who will soon be slain in a most horrible fashion, or a genuine servant of the Voice. Either way... I'm curious. So tell me, what exactly shall my Culling be this year?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

"As you wish, mistress," she repeats, sounding as if she's regained some of her equilibrium. She stands on her feet again, albeit slightly shakily. "When will I meet these few?" she inquires, adding as an afterthought, "And perhaps I should pay a visit to the new high priest tonight, mistress. Pretend to curry his favor as would befit one of my profession." The proposition is more of a question than a statement. Vienne looks to her mentor for approval of her idea.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra chants, practically singing another spell while making some interesting somatic gestures. As she finishes, she then saunters over to the assassin, stuck in her web. "Unless you are stronger than you look... or slipperier, you're in there for over an hour. Or until we do whatever we want with you." She smiles, not at all nicely, "Did you like my little curse... I have others... Anann showed me a very good one, it makes your eyes explode. I think it's very painful, but I'm not sure, never having wanted to cast it on myself. Others I've used it on though, cry out most adequately."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Thoughts, DC20 Will Saving Throw, and concentrate toward the assassin.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-12-08 at 02:41 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Agamemnon

Once the man was captured it became clear that Cassandra wished to question the man. Agamemnon obliged, standing as silent guardian while she spoke to him.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for shortness. School =

Basically I ready an action to attack if he tries any funny business.

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

-Agamemnon and Cassandra-

The assassin struggles, but can't manage to escape the webbing this round, while Cassandra's spell slowly gains access to his mind. His thoughts seem to be focused on getting away, or maybe killing them both if he can. Nothing really unexpected... but maybe if she brought up the right topic he'd start thinking about it...

-Fernalia-

"I have gathered much of your history, and have learned much of you in preparation for this test. However... your first test this year is both simple and difficult- easy to pass, yet difficult to succeed in."
    Dve sits in a chair near the altar, watching her.
    "Tell me, Fernalia, why you are amongst the powerful in this temple. Tell me of your devotion to Moraei, and your allegiance among her followers...
    "There is more to it than those answers, as you know- but that is part of your test. Tell me what I want to hear... and mean it."

Dve smiles, darkly amused.

-Morana-

Ekaa contemplates her words quietly, then looks up at her.
    "Are all of your superiors your rivals, and no matter the answer to that, who do you serve?"
    He flexes his hands, watching her very closely, his somewhat strange (and possibly silly) appearance not detracting from the weight of his tone and words in the least, so powerful are they.
    "There are those who have been watching your progress, Morana- those who have seen talents and skill that have evaded the notice of others.
    "Yvelle, the Voice, wishes to test you for more than just the purposes of the Culling."

He gently touches his forehead, and a strange symbol of writhing circles appears there- the symbol of Yvelle.
    "Are you willing to act in the service of Yvelle, that she may further the cause of Moraei?"

(You'll know everything that Fernalia did in the last post. I see little point in repeating myself).

-Vienne-

"I do not think that would be wise, Vienne."
    Yvelle paces over towards the door, moving slowly, and acting fully in the capacity of a distant mentor once more.
    "The high priest is no one to be trifled with- he could hold the same power over you that I do, and he is canny enough to realize that you are not entirely what you seem to be. Besides, I have my own way of getting information from him- and manipulating his actions is not something I desire either.
    ..and... there is danger to anyone lower than the high priest who associates with him."

She turns and smiles darkly at Vienne.
    "Soon you will meet the others, Yvelle. Perhaps after we hear the news of our high priest's actions tomorrow. You will see what kind of man he is... at least in part."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne bows gracefully to her mentor. "As you prefer, mistress. With your permission, then, I shall return to my usual duties and activities." She pads to the door, following behind the Oracle.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You read my mind!

Cassandra looks at the man, caught like a fly in amber. "So, who was it who hired you to do this?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cassandra continues to concentrate to get as good a focus on this guy that she can.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Morana

"I serve myself, first and foremost; Moraei, since her service advances my interests; others, for as long as that serves my purposes." She regards Ekaa for several seconds, weighing what she wants to say. Honesty was required, of course—but she needed to ensure she could still take this opportunity. It seemed very likely this was what the odd reading had been telling her of.

"Any superior can be a rival. Those who forestall the advancement of those below them are, obviously. Those who take an interest in those below them... are often rivals, in a different sense. They offer advancement, but they are rarely willing to let their associates rise to their level or past. Even if they are, a former patron can be dangerous."

"I do not say this to decline your mistress's offer; I say it so that she will know precisely where we stand with one another. I am willing to work with her; I am not willing to tie myself to her and accept only what influence she gives me forever. Not all rivalries end in death."

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler
    Show
    Coulda sworn I posted something like this yesterday... Ah well.

Fern answers plainly and simply. "Power is a..." She pauses as she struggles to come up with the right word--her poltergeist making an annoying sound like the ticking of a clock in the meantime. At last, she settles on a word and continues, "...complicated thing to quantify. A hidden dagger in the night is far more likely to cause change than a bare sword in the sun. My power if of the former sort; subtle, and at its best when no one knows it's at work at all. Mine is the power to direct and enable others, in a way. Maybe I am not so powerful myself... But when I am with allies, they and I are all stronger.

As for Moraei..."
    She pauses and seems to be considering her answer quietly, looking to be deep in though. The annoying ticking noise continues. "She speaks truth and common sense. The weak die, and those who are strong seek to become stronger or become weak. I live by these teachings. The temple enables others to reflect and live by these teachings better. As long as Moraei's word is thus, I will follow her teachings--my faith is perhaps not as much to the goddess herself, but what she represents. As for her other followers... If I can grow in power by harming another, I will do that. If I grow stronger in the process of aiding another in their own growth, I will do that too. It simply depends on the situation."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

-Cassandra-

"I wasn't hired, heretic!"
    The assassin snarls at her, spitting in his anger. He writhes against the strength of the webbing, but to no avail, finding himself helplessly caught, unable to eve budge himself an inch.
    Cassandra senses his thoughts, and notices that it is indeed the truth. A higher ranking priest sent him, but in the frantic flurry of his mind, she can't quite determine who or why just yet.
    "You can kill me, but there will be more..."
    He glares at her.
    In his mind, he's a lot less convinced that there will be other assassins, but he's really hoping it will scare her. Just a bit. Sadly, it's hard to scare someone who knows that you're probably bluffing and can read your thoughts.

-Fernalia-

"Ah. So you have no faith in Moraei, just her teachings. That's a very dangerous sentiment, especially said in a situation like that we find ourselves in."
    Dve narrows his eyes at her, his demeanor slightly shifting, almost hostile even though he remains seated, taking no action whatsoever. He crosses her arms and watches her extremely closely.
    "Do you think Yvelle would be pleased with such words? That you can dismiss the goddess she speaks for as entirely irrelevant to your faith? There are many who might kill you for speaking such heresy. What do you think of that?"
    He cups his hands in front of him, his body tense.

-Morana-

Ekaa smiles faintly.
    "Yvelle is well pleased with your reasoning and intellect. Many superiors would be unwilling to accept any but the most obedient, and would break their servants until they followed no path but the one set for them. Yvelle, however, sees the folly in such action, even if others do not.
    "If you desire to enter her service, go to the catacombs at dawn tomorrow."

Ekaa stands and bows deeply to Morana as the mark of Yvelle fades from his head.
    "Though I speak for Yvelle, know that I have my own tongue, and I give you this warning with it: Yvelle is no one to be trifled with. She will respect you, work with you, and teach you many things- but betrayal and hostility will be turned back at you and will lead to death.
    "Even a High Priest quakes at the sound of Moraei's Voice raised in anger. Do not provoke it."

The red robed priest bows once more.
    "Your first test of the Culling is complete. If you have no need for my services or have no questions for me, I will return to other duties."

-Vienne-

"As you will, Vienne. Meet me here at dawn tomorrow- I believe that is when the others will arrive as well. You will meet them then."
    She opens the door with a wave of her hand, then moves out into the main area of the catacombs, walking slowly and delicately.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra truly looks taken aback. "Heretic? In what way am I a heretic?!? I didn't ask for these visions, and if I was allowed to give them away I'd be happy to give them to you, or the priest who sent you!" She looks at him, calming slightly, and smiles evilly, "Of course, you might be part of my culling... or... the one who sent you might mean for me to be part of your culling!"

Spoiler
    Show
    This round should achieve maximum effect of Detect Thoughts. Cassandra will continue to maintain her concentration on the spell.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #73

Fern notes the change in demeanor. She raises an eyebrow and continues calmly, "I fear you perhaps misunderstand... I do have faith in Moraie herself, though her teachings--because of her teachings. I think the teachings are the most important part of a faith. Tell me, if Moraie were to suddenly teach that power is a sin, would you still follow her? I personally would have a difficult time acknowledging that it were even the same goddess. Such a supposition is purely hypothetical, of course. My faith in Moraie herself is true, and I express my faith by following her teachings as best as I can."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne follows Yvelle out of the catacombs, taking a different turning almost as soon as they are through the final doors. She stops by the nearest fountain to wash the dirt of the catacombs from her feet. She weighs her options for a moment, before deciding against a swim, and instead making her way slowly and gracefully to the halls where the harlots ply their trade, and where her own rooms are. She settles into one of the waiting rooms, lounging against a couch with a drink in hand-- water, if truth be known-- looking to see if any men of power are interested in her craft tonight.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Morana

Morana gives a slight shake of her head. "That will be all."

Once alone in her chambers, she stands for a while, thinking the conversation over carefully. So she had been noticed, and by someone of importance. Of course, if she had not been observant, Yvelle would not be where she stood today. Of course, the Voice's actual authority was nebulous, but Morana thought that it probably took more cunning to carve out a position that was apparently unique than to step into an existing one.

Objectively, it was gratifying to have been singled out, but Morana found herself irritated and restless. That little part of her that wanted to boast and have others recognize her... now she knew why she kept it so tightly repressed. She'd told Ekaa the truth, even abandoning her word-games as his questions became pointed, and she'd hated it. Her clever ploys were only clever when they were not revealed; laid out in the open like that, they were no more clever than a corpse could be menacing, no matter how great it had been in life. It had made her feel faintly foolish, and she hated that too. It had also made her vulnerable to Yvelle, stripped her of a layer of defenses, and she hated that most of all.

She shook her head and began her nightly rites; she wanted to be well-rested for dawn tomorrow. First a simple, repetitive pattern laid out in sand rings the borders of the room, to warn against intrusion. An intricate sigil on the inside of the door, drawn in an alcoholic ink that would fade into invisibility as it dried, would provide both a second warning and an unpleasant deterrent to anyone impolite enough to bypass the lock on her door. Another pattern, this one a circle picked out in silver flakes, lies in the center of the room, to ward off hostile magic—a smaller sigil in the center wards against more conventional attacks. A final scribbled pattern tells her whether her protective runes will see use tonight, and so on...

It is not a quick process, and as always she finds it a calming, so that by the time she has channeled magic through the frameworks and picked what she could off the floor, she is ready for sleep.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

-Agamemnon and Cassandra-

Cassandra can feel in his mind that she had spoken the truth. The Culling was definitely tied into this, even if other reasons were woven around it, like the accusation of her being a heretic.
    "Moraei curse you!"
    He does a strange twist and barely manages to free himself from the majority of the webbing, but before either of them can act, he draws out a blade and slits his throat with it. Blood sprays over the webs, trickling down his body and to the floor, while his corpse flops limp against the webs, sticking there nastily, bobbing a bit in a grim, mocking manner.
    Suddenly, there is a flash of fire- the web ignites, burning away instantly, and the charred corpse of the assassin falls to the ground before crumbling into ash that evaporates into the air, leaving behind no trace of him.
    A small scroll drops to the floor, and upon picking it up, one of the two will be able to read this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cassandra and her servant-
    The attempt on your life is but a part of what is to come. A plan has been set in action, and though it may not take your life, much will soon be changed in the Temple of Moraei. Cassandra, I know what you have seen this night, and it is a foretelling of what is to come.
    The temple will be tested, and it will grow stronger, but only if the flow of blood is stopped before it becomes too great to be stopped. The talented of the temple are being called together so that an untimely end may be prevented...
    Cassandra- if you wish to understand your visions, there is much that can be taught to you. Agamemnon- to protect your mistress, there are things that you must learn and do before it is too late.
    If you wish to further yourselves and the temple, return to your rooms and meet me in the catacombs at dawn tomorrow.

At the bottom is Yvelle's seal, blazing with such magic and power that no one could possibly have replicated it.

-Fernalia-

"A goddess should be respected, no matter her teachings..."
    Says Dve quietly, folding his hands together.
    "But Yvelle is pleased with your words, no matter what others might do in response to them. Do not fear from her."
    Dve relaxes once more, and his ease in the change implies that his former reaction was but an act. He rises to his feet and bows to Fernalia.
    "Yvelle is looking for those who might serve her and think in like minded manner. Things in this temple are going to change, and in these times she is gathering together the most talented for the good of the temple, and in the name of Moraei.
    "If you wish to join her, come to the catacombs tomorrow at dawn."

Deve bows to Fernalia again, then swiftly leaves out of the back door of the chapel, leaving the body on the altar.

-Morana-

Ekaa bows before leaving her chambers, and silence slowly falls, the night and darkness taking Morana as she passes into sleep.
    A strange dream comes to her, a vague dream of blood and death, with the grim visage of Moraei watching from above... but it soon fades into other dreams which are more natural.
    (I'll go ahead and skip your timeline to next morning. Everyone else should catch up soon).
    The dawn comes, signaled by the boom of drums used by those dedicated to Babde, waking those dedicated to the Hand, those who believe in action and directness. The sounds of her followers stirring very softly and subtly pervades Morana's quarters as they get ready for the morning devotions.

-Vienne-

As it happens, the rooms are quite sparsely populated, the people there so few that it is almost troubling. Vienne's fellows, along with anyone who might come seeking them, are strangely absent, leaving an obvious void and silence.

17. - Top - End - #77

Agamemnon

Agamemnon wrinkles his nostrils at the cloying scent of char while bending down to pick up the scroll.

Reading it over he raises his eyebrows before holding it out to Cassandra. "It definitely seems to be from the Voice." He narrows his eyes. "I intend to go, if only to find out how she was involved with... this. Which of course means you're coming with me."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra reads the scroll over his shoulder. "Yes, you're right. You're coming with me... in the morning. Let's get some sleep for now. I'm sure whomever wants this all on the hush-hush will clean everything up tonight." She turns and walks back toward her chambers with a gentle sway to her hips.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #79

Fern begins forming a retort in her mind, but then the man announces his intention to leave. She returns his bow respectfully and watches him leave silently. Her lights seem to waver as if in farewell to the man for a moment, and a dull, low chime sounds from nowhere.

Once he has left, she slowly approaches the corpse of Ochelo on the altar, glaring into his dead eyes with a frown, idly wondering what the disgusting old man might have been planning for a moment--before suppressing thoughts of the distasteful possibilities that arose. After less than a minute of such reflection, she casually exits the temple the way she came, finally rolling her sleeve back down to conceal her wand bracer.

Should nothing interesting happen in the meantime, she will venture to the catacombs at the dawn of the next day.

20. - Top - End - #80

Agamemnon

Agamemnon scowled, his mouth opening and closing a few times speechlessly. He should really have gotten used to this by now.

Catching up to her side in two long strides he placd his hands on her shoulder's and steered her towards his own adjoining room.

"Very well, but you'll sleep in my room, as it's safer."

Giving her a gentle shove towards the bed, he takes up a position on the floor near the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming it's only a few hours till dawn anyways, and I've had about 4 hours of sleep, Agamemnon will stay awake and keep watch till dawn.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra loses some of her assuredness when he directs her to his room. When he shoves her toward the bed with an unexpected roughness she turns to look at him, her eyes wide... perhaps with the tiniest gleam of hope in them. Then her face falls when she sees him crouching by the door. She turns as quickly as she can to hide her face, wiping away a single tear. She doesn't bother to turn as she disrobes and lets her clothes fall to the floor. She climbs into his overlong bed, pulling up the covers with her back to him and tries to sleep... the smell of the bedclothes though... his smell is driving her crazy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne frowns at the emptiness of her usual haunts. She spends little time there, heading to bed early-- time enough to investigate the matter later. For now, she needs to rest, trancing lightly through the night, to be ready to meet her appointment in the morning. She spends an hour or so in her morning ablutions, cleaning and perfuming herself and wrapping clean scarves about her body. Nevertheless she arrives an hour early, and settles against a wall outside the passageway to the catacombs, casually waiting. She notes the passage of anyone, but waits in the temple proper until Yvelle arrives, then follows the Oracle down, several yards to her rear.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The night passes quickly, and when the next day arrives, the temple begins stirring, quite a number of people strangely excited over something. As the few that Yvelle had selected make their way towards the catacombs, they may hear snatches of conversation about a swift and harsh beginning to the Culling- one that left a rather disturbing amount of people dead.

Vienne is the first to arrive at the catacombs, and in the early morning they are unearthly quiet and cold, a chillness emanating from them that even reaches where she stands. Within a quarter of an hour, Yvelle arrives and smiles faintly at her, putting one hand on her shoulder before moving past and down into the dark halls of the dead she is so familiar with.

Yvelle says nothing, but continues to wait, and her patience is rewarded as Agamemnon and Cassandra arrive next, and Fernalia soon after them.
    "I think this is most of you..."
    Her eyes flick over them, looking for Morana, but she turns her attention away from that and back towards those who are there.
    "While we're waiting on the last one of you... no doubt you have questions?"

24. - Top - End - #84

Fernalia places her hands behind her back, lights of a vaguely tirangular shape dancing about her at random. A low, quiet ringing noise can be heard from an indeterminate direction; almost like the chime of a very distant bell. Fern knows it to be a product of her poltergeist, but says nothing to the others about it. She gives a polite bow to Yvelle and says, "Many questions come to mind, but I would think a general explanation of the situation will begin when the last person arrives, no? I think it would be best to hold my queries until after you speak on the matter at hand; many would be answered during that."
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-12-18 at 04:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Vienne

Vienne lets her distaste for the catacombs show on her face and in her body language. She practically cringes with every step and does her best to appear shallow to the others until she's more sure of them. "Did you have to pick such a dirty place for us to meet, Oracle?" she asks of Yvelle, refraining from the more obvious 'mistress' as a term of address, not wanting to reveal too much about her connections with Yvelle too soon. Better they think her nothing more than a harlot-- one with connections, surely, but just as shallow and hedonistic as the rest of them-- for now.
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2008-12-17 at 10:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Morana

The drums wake her a little later than she would have wanted, and she rises and dresses quickly, to make up for lost time. By her reckoning, it was already about time for her meeting with the Voice. It would be hard to tell time exactly in the catacombs, but still...

Her morning rites, unfortunately, cannot be rushed too much, and so it is some minutes after dawn that Morana's heavy footsteps sound in the catacombs. The woman herself soon follows, pausing as she sees multiple others gathered to appraise them narrowly; she does not seem to like what she sees. Or perhaps her expression is always like that.

Nonetheless, she moves to join the gathering, gazing evenly at the Oracle and waiting for her to speak first.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

The oracle tosses and turns for some time, then finally takes care of her problem with a bit of manual dexterity and some very vocal enthusiasm. The smell actually helps her reach her favorite fantasy quickly, and when she is finally exhausted she glances over at her bodyguard and smiles sweetly, "Good night, Memni..." She turns over and drifts off to some pleasant dreams for a change. When she awakens, she throws back the bedclothes and rises, going over to the basin and gives herself a quick refresh. She uses a cantrip to clean her clothes and then dresses, turning to her bodyguard after not looking at him through this whole process. "Shall we go to the catacombs?"

I'm going to have to find another lover soon... I'm getting cruel toward Memni again. It's not his fault he's a complete idiot, most men are.

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc: I had thought Agamemnon would post first, gave him some time to, but he didn't.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-12-18 at 12:22 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #88

Agamemnon restlessly sat through the night, fidgeting here and there, both out of discomfort and worry over Cassandra. In the morning, he couldn't help but notice Cassy seemed especially withdrawn. He sighed. Last night had gone poorly in more than one regard.

At her question, he nodded assent. "Yes. We should be going."

Moving through the hallways, keeping Cassandra nearby at all times. When they reached the catacombs, he was irritated, if not surprised at the presence of others.

He too waited in silence, a dark glower on his face.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Yvelle raises an eyebrow at the lack of... significant questions, and does not even acknowledge Vienne's voiced distaste. Instead, she winds among the raised bones and coffins of the interred, slowly leading the group deeper into the catacombs, further and further into the past of the temple's dead. The catacombs are an infrequently visited place- the temple of Moraei rarely respected those who had died, for they were too weak to have survived, whether from old age or failure in some other form. The only use for corpses- said many- were in their necromantic potential.
    Strange then, that the Voice of Moraei would spend so much time among them- that she would choose this place to meet them all.
    "You may have heard the murmurings in the temple by now. We have barely arrived at the first day of the culling, and already the death toll mounts with surprising swiftness. In none of the years before have so many died in their tests...
    "Do not think it is chance- but nor is it a sign that our temple is weak. The Culling is simply being made more dangerous."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra looks at Yvelle with respect, but much less awe than most, simply because she also receives visions from Anann. "May I ask what vision you have recieved that leads you to this understanding and what about that vision has caused you to gather us together?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald