New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Errands for the Hearst (Serenity)

Robyn

Robyn leans forward and picks up the note, reading it and committing the information to her memory before handing it to the next person. She stands and looks through her bag, putting a few items in her jacket pocket. Looking to the Captain, she asks:"This briefcase...does it belong to you?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Captain Anders does his best to keep a grin off his face, though he is only half successful. "If you bring it back under the time limit, I'll tell you."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

Robyn clicks her tongue a little. "I'll be takin' that as a no...You know, I don't like bein' used...So if this little endeavour is likely to get us into a heap o' trouble, then I'd like some reassurance we're gettin' paid."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Anders' grin fades. He sighs and rolls his eyes. "Look, just go get the package and you'll get the job. If you don't like it, find someplace else to work." He turns and walks off into the ship.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Burt waits impatiently for the paper to be passed. "How far is it? Should we get ground transport? Is it in walking distance?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melony

Watching the moniter on the occasion she could pull her eyes away from the ship itself. In her own world ships that flew in the black were alive as anyone around her but for now this ship seemed closed to her as she observed it. She barely even noticed as the recording stopped and it was only near the end she even realised he was talking. "The place with the what now?" She inquired as she hopped off her crate before grabbing her duffel bag trying to think what he was on about.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Upon seeing her reaction, Marshall mouths back ‘Welcome’ and his (slowly becoming) signature smile, and folds his coat in half over his arm.

When the scruff young man walks out, Marshall raises an eyebrow at his gruff appearance. He does his best to try to read the new personality as best he can to try to figure out anything about him. He pays attention to every detail he can and does his best to discern information about the gruff kid. (A.K.A. Perception/Deduction -> My first roll of the game… Here goes… [roll]1d10[/roll] + [roll]1d12[/roll] + [roll]1d2[/roll])

While paying attention to the new person, he then walks over to his duffel and backpack and picks them up, before heading in. Even though there are a few benches, Marshall stands off to the side, (by the crates) and drops his bag on the ground near him, before leaning against them, before watching the video from there. During the video, he does his best to observe his surroundings, making note of the size and shape of the room. As soon as the video ends, Marshall stands up and smooths out the wrinkles in his folded coat, before putting it on. He slowly walks over to the rest of the group and pays attention to the location of the briefcase drop. Having lived on Persephone for the vast majority of his life, he tries to figure out what type of location it is that the briefcase is stored.

Marshall thinks that there is something that isn’t being mentioned here. When Robyn asks if the case belongs to Anders, Marshall pays distinct attention to his answer. After the answer, Marshall asks, “So what type of security can we expect?” while adjusting the cuffs of his shirt. Again, he is distinctly paying attention to the answer, if only to determine if he is being told the truth.

Regarding the actual procurement of the briefcase, this is so far from Marshall’s specialty that he lets those with more experience take the lead, but still adds a few comments if he deems it necessary.
    Last edited by MaximusMeridius; 2008-12-04 at 10:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

AAAAnnnddd that didn't work... Let's see if this does... (1d10)[5] + (1d12)[10] + (1d2)[2]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ernie blinks repeatedly. This test is a little more... practical than he was expecting. No interview, no background check, not even a trip to a firing range or some kind of test of his medical skills. Hardly seems like the best way to make sure your support personnel are qualified... unless they plan on makin' sure somebody gets hurt. I don't like this. He nonchalantly makes his way over to his luggage pile, locates his doctor's bag, and goes through it to make sure everything is in order. Reaching under his jacket, seemingly to make sure something else is there, he speaks. "We've got an hour to walk a mile an' back. Should be doable, even with an old man like myself holding everyone up. But I think everyone in this room knows there's a lot the Captain ain't telling us. And that ain't like to change. So let's just go now. We take this job, we best get used to goin' out and pickin' stuff up when we're told, though" (here he looks directly at Anders) "I hope we get a little more starting information for every job after we've gotten you your precious suitcase." To everyone else: "Now we gonna do this? Get your sweet, luscious little cupcake arses in motion so I can get paid sometime afore I die."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

A mile? I'm afraid at my pace that wont leave us much time to do the job. We should get transportation. Every second spent walking is one less to spend getting the case.

Burt begins waling out of the ship, not even sparing a glance to see if the rest are following. He leaves his pack behind, he shrugs his shoulders as he walks and feels the reassuring weight of Lolita, his trusty shot gun strapped into it's back scabbard.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Faith gets up after the video and introduction, puts on her shoulder bag and starts to leave, waving to the others to come, too. If Anders wanted to tell them any more, he would have done so, but figuring out the details (also known as improvisation) is part of the given task, so she doesn't bother asking any questions. But Faith does try to find a Cortex terminal to find the nearest place where they could rent a ride for the hour, subsequently telling the others her destination.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could a NTx2 multiband have some of the functions of a modern mobile phone (i.e. basic access to the web for maps or something similar, two-way communication)?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-12-05 at 10:03 AM. Reason: somehow thought the multiband had some functions of a mobile phone...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn shrugs a little and heads out, lookin' for the nearest Cortex to pull up a road map to find the location. Once she's sure of where it is, she turns to the others. "I'll be runnin' ahead to check it out. If anyone wanna come with, that's fine. If those rentin' a mule get there first, please wait for the rest of us. I have...some experience with stuff like this."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

Gerard stands down in front and off to the side during the video, looking bored the entire time. "No way he's getting us to actually wear that crap," he mumbles. Gerard keeps his mouth shut during the "briefing." A job is a job (or it least it will be once he gets paid).

As the group sets out to get to the job, Gerard jogs to catch up with Robyn. "Mind if I tag along with you? I'm not really expecting a fight from this thing, especially since we haven't been paid for any risks or the like, but if it comes to that it's best you've got someone to watch your back." He pats a small pistol that rests in a shoulder holster.
    I roll 20s

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

If someone manages to successfully rent a vehicle, Ernie gets in on that action. He's old.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Holographic technology is listed as NTx2, so I think an itouch would fit within that range.

The paper contains the following information:

Advent Private Storage
    Corner of Smith St. + Wayne Ave.

# 108
    01-88-11

Whether by multiband or a local dock terminal, you scan for a vehicle rental place. Unfortunately there is no "rental" facility but there is an actual store two miles away where you could buy a mule for 35-50 credits (these being atvs). Unfortunately it is almost 6pm and you doubt the store will be open anyways.

Robyn maps out what she believes is the quickest route and she and Gerrard take off at a trot.

Marshall studies Anders and gets the sense that this kid has a chip on his shoulder. The greasy clothing and nonchalance all but mask it, but he can tell that this kid is used to having life go his way. He's probably loaded. Marshall asks his security question as the kid is leaving the room. He calls back "There's a lock on the door, that much I know."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

After having no luck with the rentals, Faith types in and shows another message to someone (most likely Marshall or Burt, whoever is closer): No rentals or sth. similar nearby

She then glances at Burt like she is gauging something, types in another message and shows it to Burt: This may come off as rude, but if you allow, I could support you to speed things up a bit.
    Even though Faith is a few inches shorter and easily a hundred pounds lighter than Burt due to her slender frame, she doesn't exactly look weak (although not nearly as massive as him).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

"I'd be much obliged." Burt accepts Faiths offer of assistance. With her help he hobbles as fast as he can in the direction of Advent Private Storage.

A broad smile spreads across his face. "This seems like the beginning of a joke. 'So, there's this mute and this cripple right, and there running as fast as they can, ...' "

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Burt can hear Faith exhale twice in quick succession, her equivalent of a chuckle. A frown combined with a smile forms on her face as she thinks about how ridiculous that kind of joke would be. Or how ridiculous the current situation may look. Anyway, Faith helps Burt get his massive frame over to the warehouse to the best of her ability.

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

Ernie glances enviously at Burt for a second, then shrugs. "'Least I'm not a smoker. If I fall behind, everyone try not to get hurt until I catch up." He starts jogging.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

Gerard kee3ps pace with Robyn and keeps an eye out for anything suspicious on the way there (being followed, that sort of thing).
    I roll 20s

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

Robyn nodded when Gerard asked to tag along, joggin' swiftly along towards the warehouse. She slows down then they draw near their targeted address, to see if anyone's around, or if the place is guarded.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Robyn and Gerrard get to the compound and find that there is, in fact, a guard. He is stationed at the entrance and sits inside a little toll-booth like building that operates the gate to get vehicles in and out. They did not see anyone following them and are about 7 minutes ahead of the rest of the group (unless everyone else wants to jog ahead and leave the three-legged race behind).

The rest of the group continues plugging along and gets a little over halfway there.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

"Allright," Robyn whispers to Gerard. "Let's come up with a plan of sorts while waitin' fer the others. There might be another way in. A backdoor or sumthin'. If not, we need to either bluff our way past the guard, or distract'im. "

24. - Top - End - #54

SwashbucklerGuy

Ernie does the best he can to get to the destination as fast as possible. He might have to walk for a spell once or twice, but as soon as he's breathin' slow again he starts up with the jogging once more. It's about time he got in shape anyway.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

"I bet I can dupe this guy and we can get in through the front door. Wanna walk the perimeter quickly to see if there's a back door? I think you and I can get through the front, but when everyone gets here it'll be a lot harder."

Gerard scans the area for cameras, alarms, and other guards.
    I roll 20s

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Robyn

"Yeah, sure. We'll walk 'round, check it out." Robyn also looks for any security besides the guard, like censors, cameras and so on. "What's your area of expertise, by the way?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

"Well, I fancy myself a talker and a business man and I haven't done poorly for myself there, but I've got a pretty cruel fist, if you take my meaning. I've done some serious boxing in my day." He unconsciously rubs his knuckles.
    I roll 20s

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Ok?

Gerard and Robyn walk up to the guard in the booth. He stops reading his magazine and steps out of his little box, his hand resting on his holstered pistol. "Can I help you?"

The rest of the group hustles another 2 minutes, only 5 to go....

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Gerard

(Persuasion (1d12)[11] ) Gerard motions for Robyn to follow behind him. He sticks his hands in his pants pocket. When the guard looks to him, "Good evening. We're here to check up on the investment that we left in unit number, oh, honey, what was that number?" He runs a hand through his hair and looks back to Robyn, "Oh, yeah, #108. Do you need anything else from us, sir? I'd like to get moving before it gets dark, you understand?"
    I roll 20s

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

OOG: Sorry, I roll persuasion on a d10. Cryin' shame, too.

Persuasion (1d10)[9]
    I roll 20s