New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

Regis

Regis reaches out a hand to the young mage saying Greetings friend. when his hand is taken for the cordial shake that is proffered Regis will clamp down hard and pull the mage close saying quietly to him Ser Manfred here needs to keep things a little under wraps, if you know what I mean? You do? good. Letting him go with a smile the big cleric sits back down and waves the barmaid over for more beer.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

As an aside to Regis' warning, Egan grimaces a bit as he tries not to wince from the strong grasp of the cleric. But hearing his words he responds quietly, "I have had the same concern. It was too easy for me to find you and I have overheard some of the indiscriminate speech of him."

After conversation returns a bit Egan returns to the subject for Regis, "I am also wary of too quickly offending the man. He seems to be a rightly proclaimed man of nobility. But his tongue must be sheathed soon."

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot in my earlier post. I wanted to try a Gather Information roll, or perhaps a Knowledge skill for the short time I had ahead of them in the city to scout out the political terrain. Mostly the Cavaliers.
    Gather Information: (1d20)[20]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+8)[19]
    (Of course, this may not apply here, depending on where local is.)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar smiles confidently at Adrian's suggestion that "We could use the power." As Egan casts his strange spell, the warrior drawls to the halfling, "You shall see, my little friend. Once the cavaliers have joined together, there is no force in the land that can halt us -- you shall see!"

He is amenable as before that the prince should remain behind, though he notes that he will want his squire when they go to the arena. When the mage suggests that there are cavaliers that cannot be trusted, however, Throshkar scoffs loudly. "Show me the cavalier who would betray his lord, and I will take his head for you. No -- I would join the queue! The entirety of the cavaliers would line up to destroy such a brute."

The words still in his mouth, Throshkar's conscience muttered to him. He shoved aside foul memories -- his old mentor, Lagressa Durande, persuasive and wise, and his father, elderly and drunk, both arguing on different occasions that the king needed to be replaced by a stronger man. 'That was not disloyalty,' he told himself. 'Moments of weakness, that's all.'

"But I shall see to the cavaliers with my own eyes. For myself, you are welcome to aid the --ah, Sir Manfred in your way, Wizard Brahe, as are all. I hope you mind not that I call you Brahe -- my middle name is Eden, and I may find myself confused by calling you Egan!"

"You mention a course of action? And you refer to a Kaylee? Is this another ally?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that Egan's criticisms were made out of Throsh's earshot...
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-17 at 02:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Regis

The cleric nods agreement to the mage and turns to Throshkar Ser Throskar, for safety's sake please keep your voice down. I understand your fervor, but right now we need to have some little subtlety about us. You are a cavalier, I understand that, but please keep the proclamations about 'for the King' and such to a minimum. Regis says calmly trying to not offend his new friend, speaking to him as an equal.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar looks down his nose at the stout man. 'Is he speaking to me as an equal? This man?' He clears his throat and lowers his voice -- slightly.

"You would have a cavalier be shy about speaking for the King? You do not think that such silence would not draw equal parts attention?" he asks jovially, but ice begins to form in his words as they drop to a strong whisper, pitched to be audible to the rest of the table and no further.

"If your opinion mattered in this, I would fain ask you to recall the last occasion on which I mentioned either king or prince -- indeed, else my private conversation with Louis earlier today, such words have not slipped my lips since our arrival at the City." Throshkar's tone grows colder, his eyes ice-blue. His smile, though, remains warm.

"Our new companion, meanwhile, has bandied about 'my prince' several times in his introduction. Query yourself whom it is that need curb his tongue, for safety's sake. You may wish to start with yourself."

Spoiler
    Show
    No offense between players, of course. ;) It's all those darn PCs' fault!
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-17 at 03:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Regis

Oh, calm down. The priest says exasperatedly. If this man can find us on our first day in the city who knows who else can find us? Lets just all be careful.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrain massages his forehead at Throshkar's... mere existance at this point. Oh my... I owe the prince my life and he is my only chance at finding out what happened to my mother, but if this is the finest example of his loyal men... Ah well. Rule eight: sometimes best to move fast and hope the guards aren't watching.

Alright then, the plan is this. The prince goes back to his quaters with Louis and the two guard dogs, and secures the door. Then we shall proceed to the warehouse, keeping a low profile. Throshkar, because your deeds in the old king's name have earned you so much renown, you will have to wear your new armor and helmet with the face guard down. It might even be a help. After all, if you're recognized the Dark Knights might be to intimidated to dare assualt us. You must remember, Thoshkar, that they lack your honor, and will in fact often avoid a worthy foe in favor of easier prey. Adrian takes a breath, and then continues. When we get to the warehouse we'll have to be careful about who we trust, but we need the allies, and these men seem to have feld the Dark Knights, so we might trust the majority, though if our foemen are cunning they'll have planted amongst those men turncoats and traitors. Do not overestimate the honor of those we face. With that in mind, we shall contact those men, display the ring as proof of our intentions, and in no way mention that the prince is in the city. Not until we can be sure of his safety. After that, I suggest we befriend some of the faction in this city, though that is work for another day.

Adrian leans back, satisfied. I laid it on think there. Had to get it through that skull of his...

Spoiler
    Show
    This is fun. Next step will be to work subtle jabs into the conversation.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-12-17 at 04:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan interjects into the conversation and meekly smiles once more. "Of Course you are right my new friends." Egan looks directly at Throshkar. "I have been hasty in my conversations. I shall endeavor to follow your diligent example of discretion, and mention these terms, out of habit or intention, no longer, until the time for it is needed." He bows his head slightly in deference to the noble. They are always so hot-headed.

"And what course of actions can we speak concerning our young friend here?" Egan turns to observe the prince. "But only to what his intentions are. I know not of his aspirations, but I believe I know his duties, as each of us is called here to accept and act upon."

Lifting his mug of ale to Adrian's plan. "So let us commit then, to both discretion and perseverance. To better the fates of many." Egan takes a long draw from his mug, and winces a bit at the bitterness.
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2008-12-17 at 05:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The prince slams his fist down upon the table quieting the group. "I know this is hard, our world has changed in a few short weeks and we are left putting the pieces together without a guide. I agree that Throshkar should go with Adrain and the rest of you to meet the Cavaliers. Remember we are in a neutral city so I do not see a reason to hid our intentions but only my presence. As for Egan, my father trusted you but at this time I do not; however, despite your unknown intentions, I feel we should keep you close. I will go back to the inn with Louis, I will meet you there later tonight." With that he gets up and leaves with Louis.

[Nomad 5]
    Spoiler
    Show

The intentions of the cavaliers is unknown but you do know they were routed from the city and came here to regroup.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian stands up, and checks his rapier, pats his pockets (as if to find his wallet, but really to be sure that his crossbows are where he left them) and then tosses his share of the meal payment down, and steps out into the city.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar purses his lips at Regis, but Adrian begins detailing their plans, to which the cavalier nods at several points. The dark knights clearly have a dearth of honor, skulking in shadows and flitting about with the wind...

"Wait -- who is in the city?" he interjects casually, almost laughingly at yet another mention of the prince. 'Now even my fellow nobleman is accusing me of loose lips... well, he is just the son of a halfling viscount....' he thinks to himself.

Brahe's apology is well-formed, though, and Throshkar waves his hand with another, genuine smile, dismissing the matter completely. In any case, he'd only used the man's words to counter-attack Regis, not because he actually feared saying "prince" or "king" in private conversation.

He glances back at the cleric and began to speak, but his eyes must have carried more of his irritation than he'd intended, for the prince stomps his hand down, silencing the table.

After Aseral's departure, the cavalier pauses, then takes up his mug.

"Well, Brahe -- here's to your first toast!" He takes a long sip, smacks his lips carefully, then continues. "Acquit yourself well tomorrow, good mage, and I am sure our Manfred will find faith in you. Do not, and as my old sergeant would say... I'll split you crown to crotch!" He laughs, and downs the rest of the ale in two gulps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Up to Adrian if he skips out prior to my toast or no.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-17 at 06:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian stays around.

13. - Top - End - #43

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan grunts softly after the prince departs. "The stress may be getting to the boy. I fear he has much to learn, possibly from each of us, before he is ready to complete his duty. As to your faith, Sir Knight, I seek it only that you may not damage these fine clothes." At this Egan lets loose a short burst of loud laughter and stands with the rest, letting his fist complete a sound thump on the table. "Come. Let's find this brute his fellows and proving ground."
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2008-12-17 at 06:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The cavalier chuckles at the jest, and at the mage's wisdom. He sweeps the coins of payment off the table and returns them to their owners, then sets down full payment for the table. "Finances provided by a giant spider's victims and a strange gnomish sorcerer -- it is only just, as my armor shall take up the lion's share of such treasure." He takes the lead of the party as they depart the tavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I assume Throshkar has his new +1 full plate, or that we pick it up on the way?
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-17 at 07:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC: Throshkar has his armor]

You walk down to the dwarvin district and pass through the dwarvin gates and it is if you waked into portal taking you to another world. The dwarvin district is made for dwarves with dwarf sized doors and buildings. You instantly become aware of your size in comparison to that of a dwarf. The streets here are cleaner and you see dwarvin patrols walking the streets in formation.

After a few moments of wondering you find the warehouse where the cavaliers have been holding up in. The warehouse has large double doors which stand closed with two low ranking cavaliers standing at attention. The straighten up as they see Throshkar approaching (if that is even possible). Above the large double doors the Crest of the now deceased king hangs as if signaling to the world their worldview.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

16. - Top - End - #46

Regis

Regis turns to Throshkar apologetically Ser, if these men are as they proclaim, I apologize for correcting you earlier. But I still think we should be careful of traitors and assassins.

He stops and closes his eye whispering a quiet prayer Lord above, below, and everywhere, let this meeting go well. Let us find the allies to help bring this nation from the dark place it has been carried to by the usurper.

He lifts his head and follows Throshkar's lead.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The nobleman picks an invisible speck of lint off his shining white armor, then adjusts the buckler attached to his left elbow. He bows his head respectfully during Regis' prayer, then ends with an emphatic but hushed "Amen!" before closing his helm.

As the party passes through the Dwarven district, Throshkar says cheerfully to Regis: "Cleric, if the sun rises in the morn, I shall look forward to your apology! Traitors and assassins we will no doubt find, but not among the King's Cavaliers."

Waving away any further discussion, the cavalier hefted his lance -- to which was attached Louis' own simple white pennon -- and approached the Cavalier guards.

"Hail and well met! Honor and Glory for the True King, my Cavaliers! I come under the white shield with information vital to the welfare of the kingdom: please present us with all haste to your commanding officer."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian looks at the guards and patrols slightly apprehensively. Problems for a later date? he wonders. At least it's good to be 'round regular sized buildings for once. Well, close anyway. Hmm, I really do need a handle...

I am Adrian de Gra, of the Green Hills, liason to the True King.

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

After Throshkar's initial proclamation, Egan leans forward and stands tall to remind Throshkar, "Sir Knight, do remember our companions desire for anonymity before he left us at supper."

After this he simply follows along and let's the others take the lead, keeping his thoughts to himself, and hopefully hiding his nervousness. Surrounded by knights and dwarves. I can't decide whether this is the best place for a mage to be or the absolute worst...
    ...and how do I explain to his proclamations of the "True King". There are matters of state that must be completed...
    ...either son could rightfully take the throne, unless of course the king was murdered by his own son...
    ....Aseral's claim may be more valid, but it... no, it must be ...
    ...You'd think a Diviner would have better insight, what have I gotten myself into...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar holds himself confident and still at Brahe's insulting whisper, ignoring his companion to make clear that he is the noble: he is the leader, and the man leaning in to him a mere adviser at best.

'For a wizard, Brahe is a fool. The Prince never asked for anonymity -- we simply have to withhold his location, and nothing more!' But this behavior, this has to be stopped, and now. He'd dealt with too much insolence from the cleric as it was, but that was in a dirty tavern far from his fellow nobles and soldiers.

This? This Would Not Do.

In a flash of white, Throshkar slaps his gauntlet across the smaller man's throat, halting his hand a millimeter from impact. He lets the shock register in the wizard before turning, ever so slightly. The cavalier's voice echoes out of the helm, jovial but haughty:

"Respect, Brahe! If you follow me through these doors, you will follow me in every action and every word." The leather in the gauntlet squeaks as Throshkar tightens his hand into a fist. "Else I make good on my promise."

He drops his hand and strides forward without looking for the wizard's nod of agreement. How the guards react matters more; he gazes at them calmly, but frowns behind his mask. Throshkar hates being so serious, he HATES it, but the spellweaver -- and the others -- need to know their place here. Here, even if nowhere else. His fellow Cavaliers will never believe for an instant that he, Throshkar, is the Prince's guardsman if common clerics and ratty wizards so rudely speak as his equal. He will apologize to the man later, if it seems honorable to do so then.

Besides! Even vergescu, he has a reputation to uphold!
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-19 at 12:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidation for the above post (I know Throsh is attacking Egan, but it probably has an impact on the watching guards):
    (d20+8)[15]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-19 at 12:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

*explitives* Idiot wizards, tomfool nobles...

Adrian grips his rapier tighter. Rule six: Act like it's normal and they'll treat it as such. Act like you got something to hide and they'll come looking.

Pardon gentlemen, just clarifying a few issues for the new guy. Adrian strides forward as if he expects the doors to open and the commander in cheif to appear and lead him to his office.

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Not being a man used to violence, Egan recoils significantly from Throshkar's quick actions. When his feet stop moving he realizes that the look on his face is fearful, but his hands are in his robes. He stands for a moment without movement listening to Throshkar. His left foot turns out as if to leave.

This fool knight has lived too long in the noble care and house. He does not understand the true machinations of politics and war. Patience, Egan. You have committed yourself to this action for the sake of your beloved king and for your family still living there. Let not his ignorance spoil the cause. You can take some humiliation from fools. It would not be the first time you have bowed your head with gritted teeth.

"Forgive me, Sir Knight. I meant only to council, as I have done for our king." Disguising his foot turn, he uses this to bow to the knight, and waits for everyone to continue before rising to follow.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show
    coming soon

The guards exchange glances with each other as if they are uncertain how to react to the events that are unfolding before them. Finally one of them breaks the silence, "Those who support the new king are not welcome in our wall Adrian. You can take your party elsewhere." The guards look at each other again as something Throshkar said range a bell within them. They turn to Throshkar and respond, "Identify yourself knight or else be lumped into the ranks of dark knights." The two guards hands go to the hilts of their swords drawing forth a few inches of the blades and get ready for provocation. One of them hits a small gong behind him. You hear shouts and the doors opening.

As the doors open you are greeted by a handful of Cavaliers in full battle armor, the one leading has the insignia of a Captain *(Throshkar knows this man as Falker). "I am the commanding officer, Who are you, Dark Knight, and why are you here?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Startled at the accusation, Throshkar pauses, then lets out a laugh, then calmly waits for the troops to assemble. He pauses, startled again, and laughs a little less cheerfully when Falker states the accusation more directly.

"Hail and well met, indeed, Falker! I'll forgive you the bad manners under the circumstances. Has white become the new black, Captain?"

"Honor and Glory for the True King -- by whom, good Cavaliers, I mean the old king. Neither Aseral nor his brother have been properly named our lord by the council. This is, in fact, the reason I and my party come to you today. As I said to your men, I come under the white shield with information vital to the welfare of the kingdom. I shall reveal myself to you, good Falker, but to no other, at least until we have had our full conference."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy:(d20+4)[21]
    Sense Motive on Falker primarily, and the others secondary:(d20+0)[6]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-20 at 08:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Falker looks at the veiled Throshkar for a moment as if trying to think about the best course of action that will leave him with the most face in a difficult decision. ”Fine then, we shall meet in my chambers, your men, if we can call them men…” The knight looks at Adrian, ”Will have to wait out here with my men. I do not want any funny business from either you or your companions.” With that, Falker turns and walks into the building expecting you to follow as if he has grown unaccustomed to following orders.

If you follow behind him you will come to a set of barracks aligning one of the walls. In the corner of the warehouse a makeshift room has been added with a door. Falker walks through the door and into the small room. There is a large bed with a small desk. Falker turns around and gives you a stare, ”Well then Knight, who are you…ashamed to show your face…and why must we keep this meeting in secret?”

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Left out cold... seems these guys aren't to trusting either. Paranoia all around.

Adrian shrugs. Throshkar, suprisingly, beat him to what he was going to say. He searches out a good place to sit down and then starts caseing the joint, because he could.

Warehouse, eh? Harder then you might think, less windows, big doors for the wagons. No nooks and crannies.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar turns and starts to call for Louis before realizing his squire is not with them. Waving his hand with a flourish, he follows Falker, calling out to the others, "Introduce yourselves, fellows!"

"All right, all right, Falker!" Throshkar chuckles, pulling his helmet off. He throws his longish hair back and grins broadly. "Well met, Old Man. Apologies for the hiding -- 'twas not my idea. The Prince, Aseral himself, felt it was necessary to avoid my fame drawing undue attention to our group."

"That being said... call me a dark knight once more and I'll meet you on the field of honor, my friend."
    He tries to look serious, but he can't help but show his pleasure at being among Cavaliers again, and having a grand mission before them.

"I hope it will not come to that, Captain, for we have more pressing matters, matters of great honor and glory! The Prince seeks the Cavaliers' aid, Falker. His brother has taken the crown without the council's word -- not to mention disbanded the cavaliers, of all things! -- and we must bring their inevitable conflict to an end swift and strong, for the good of the kingdom. Are you prepared?"

Before Falker can reply, Throsh inserts, "And where's my salute, Captain??"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC: Cue music]

The face of the captain is one of disbelief as Throshkar takes his helm off. The captain knocks his feet together give him a salute. He seem to be taken aback for a moment and then finally speaks, "It is good to see you Throshkar, I figured you for dead. Many of our comrades are now dead. I hate to speak of it but I should fill my commanding officer in on what he has missed.

"We did not take Kilmer's advice to lay low. The commander Goodfree lead the charge into the city and the guards who were once so faithful to use turned with the help of the dark knights. We fell into a trap where Archers laid waste to our numbers from above. Hundreds died until we were able to reach the archers, we were then routed from the city.

Our numbers are low, we have 50 low ranking cavaliers and 200 guards men now. There are around 25 more cavaliers who are two wounded to fight, many will never walk again. We only have about 25 horses and fewer full sets of armor. We did manage to get the Kings body out of the city but it cost us dearly. The Dwarves have granted us Sanctuary here but at a cost.

I will be frank with you. The men will distrust you for not being there to fight and die with them. Especially the crippled ones who spend their days teaching the less trained. Tread carefully....."

Falker waits for Throshkar to respond. Uncertain if he can really trust him.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-12-22 at 02:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The musclebound Cavalier flourishes his return salute, then responds with a tempered voice, "Well met on a better day, Falker."

"I never thought the day would come that the Cavaliers themselves would be thrown down. Archers and black knights...! My stomach turns. No doubt there are moneylenders and other criminals behind this as well."

"Ah, Falker, I would have given all my honor to have stood on the battlefield with you! Were it not for the higher calling to find Aseral, nothing could have stopped me. This you know."
    His eyes are wet and warm.

"So. Aseral seeks an army, and we have but a company left, perhaps a small battalion. I have many questions, and we have much to do, Captain. In the meantime, let my men in and treat them with due hospitality; though not cavaliers, they have traveled with myself and the prince, which is more than enough to accord them a Cavalier's welcome."

Throshkar goes on to ask Falker of the strength of the enemy, especially the numbers, capabilities, and whereabouts of the dark knights. He also asks where the elder prince is, if he knows the location of the now-disbanded council, and if there remain any cavaliers or strongholds of resistance elsewhere in the kingdom. He will also ask to be allowed to give his respects to the king's body "at a better hour than this, of course."

"Tell me -- what else did Kilmer instruct? He had but moments to spare with me when he sent me to find the young prince. I had to watch-- I, had to depart quickly, so I know not of the General's whereabouts now." The half-truth is difficult to swallow, but Throshkar can hardly admit even to himself that he stood by as Kilmer was dragged through the streets as a common criminal.

"What men remain whom I would know? Does Goodfree still stand? And your commanding officer?" He pauses, mulling over the answers. "And... whom shall I--whom shall I trust?" This last is clearly a difficult question for Throshkar to ask. 'How can I not trust a cavalier? How can any not trust ME? What world is this that honorable men are so distorted?'
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-22 at 12:05 PM.