New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

Falkner snorts before he speaks. ”Why can you trust? You can trust very few people. I hope my…er…your knights here are trustworthy but I am so uncertain. Trust your gut and hopefully that will be enough.

The battle was harsh, as I said before we thought we had cornered the false king and his knights in the arena. We swarmed in killing the body guards only to find it was a man dressed as the king. The door swung shut closing in the cavaliers and archers appeared in the stands whose arrows cut down our ranks. Goodfree fell in the arrow fire. Thousands of arrows few down into us. I learned the true cowards that day, those who used their fallen brethren as shields. The few remaining of us who were left living piled our brethren up and crossed over the wall to slaw the few archers left to pick at the lame. I lost my shield arm that day and my foot.

There are very few higher ranking men left. I know not of where Kilmer is. I heard that he was captured and dragged through the streets like a pickpocket.

I do know that the black knights used to be cavaliers and paladins who have taken to the dark side. We killed a few and I took off the helm of a dead dark night only to find the dagger instructor, Veangueed. I know that the vault of the king has been opened and the items given to the dark nights for use in destroying Aseral and this is how some were able to get to key places within the kingdom.

Forgive me…maybe we should invite your friends in and get them caught up to speed. Maybe even bring the young prince here for safekeeping.”
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The horror of the battle Falkner describes takes Throshkar's wind from him. After a long pause, he finally responds, "I'm sorry, Falkner. I--ah!" A smile returns to his face. "One of my men is a cleric of some passing power! Perhaps he can aid those whose wounds yet linger. Let us bring him and the others in, tell them what you have told me."

"Just remember that the Prince wants me to remain under the white shield for now; especially if you cannot trust everyone, we should remain quiet on this. I do not relish the hiding of mine honor, but it is for the safety of the kingdom."

"As for the Prince himself, I will require some time to advise him on your status. He is secure, heavily guarded, in his current location now."

The cavalier puts his helm back on, winking at Falkner as he does.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-26 at 11:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you for your counsel. I will remain the current commander of this post until you release me or wish to take over this outpost. I will tell the men nothing of our meeting.

If I were you, I would take the young prince to the banking district, I am guessing that he has some estates here in case there was some problems. The extra funds might be good to pay some of the guards wages since many have gone without boots and equipment for some time. I will let you talk it over with him."
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"And I hear and appreciate your counsel too, Captain. You and your men have performed admirably under terrible circumstances. The Prince will know of your honorable actions."

A polite, dismissing salute, and Throshkar turns on his heel crisply. His boots clang and clunk on the warehouse floor as he returns to the entrance where his party waits.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

As Throshkar walks out to the doorway where his companions are waiting Falkner says, "Very well then we will see you when you return. Men this is a fellow cavalier who is under an important mission and whose identity must remain veiled until he has completed it. Give him a salute as he passes." The men jump to attention as Throshkar walks past to join the party.

The party walks back towards the inn the day light quickly fading into the sea. Throshkar recounts what was told to him by the Falkner

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

Regis listens intently to the knight's tale. I will go in the morning to heal their wounded, there is much I can do for many of them. He eats heartily but mostly silently and leaves early in the morning to heal the wounded in the knight's enclave.

Spoiler
    Show

Changing up my spells for the day. With the exception of my domain spells.

6th -Heal

5th -Raise Dead
    Atonement

4th - Neutralize Poison
    Restoration x2

3rd - remove Disease x2
    Remove Curse
    Remove Blind/Deaf

2nd - Remove Paralysis x2
    Lesser Restoration
    Make Whole x2

Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar returns the men's salutes warmly, saying, "Good Cavaliers -- it is with sorrow that I hide my face from you; my honor weeps, but it is for only the highest mission that I do this. Your bravery in battling the dark knights hitherto shall be well known throughout the land... a future of pride and glory awaits us all!"

After a few words about Falkner's courage and strong leadership, Throshkar leads his small band back to the inn, recounting the story of the Cavaliers' battles and other "safe" topics until they are safely ensconced in one of their rooms. There, he tells of the betrayal of Veangueed and others with a heavy heart.

Throshkar asks the Prince what he wishes to do: either locate his finances and any property he might have in the banking district (or elswhere, if possible... Throshkar makes no show of hiding his distrust of moneylenders), or secure himself among the Cavaliers.

The talk turns to what the party knows of the dark knights, especially the discovery that they are former Cavaliers and other soldiers. "The dark knights are but men," Throshkar concludes, still a little surprised. "Men using the twisted craft of magery, that subsumes a man's honor and corrupts his moral, natural imperatives. Perhaps... perhaps we may find a way to interrupt their arcane influences, and then... then we can turn the knights back to their better selves!"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-26 at 11:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian smiles at the thought of these Dark Knights being forced into evil. What, does noble birth cleanse the soul of all potencial for evil? Need for evil, perhaps. I've seen enough cause for that, time to time. But the only difference between our dear foeman and the criminals that Theadras was always hunting is neither magic nor blood, but scale. And then, in such a reflective and self rightious mood, Adrian excuses himself from the group to go buy a selection of poisons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Off to purchase:
    20 MW darts (130 gold)
    5 doses of Oil of taggit (450 gold)
    5 doses of Drow poison (375 gold)
    Hollow ring (50 gold, plus two to sleight of hand, as per "masterwork tool" in SRD?)
    1005 total + daily expenses (rooms+dog food)

Adrian Gray
    Male CN Halfling Rogue, Level 11, Init +3, HP 45/45, Speed 20 ft.,
    AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 8/3, Action Points 10
    Masterwork Handbow (30) +13/+8 (1d3, 19-20/2x)
    Masterwork Handbow +13/+8 (1d3, 19-20/2x)
    Masterwork Rapier +13/+8 (1d4, 18-20/2x)
    Studded Leather + 2 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition None

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan will not have much help for the cavaliers, but will offer his magical abilities if needed. [Remove Curse or Dispel Magic]

Returning to the inn, Egan will ask about transferring his quarters to the inn, another location or staying where he is currently. "I would prefer to reside near yourselves and the prince." He also will ask to stop by his current quarters on the way back, either as a group or with accompaniment, to pick up his familiar, Kaylee. She will be of use in protecting the prince.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

You return to your inn to find the prince and Lewis playing a game of chess. The prince looks up at you as you enter and asks "Did you find out anything when you talked to the cavaliers? I would prefer to go to the banking district to gather some coin to buy armor. However, once we do get money from the bankers my brother will then know my whereabouts. What do you, keeper, think the best course of action will be?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian hesitates for about a half second. I owe this man my life... and it would be fun to knock a bank over.

Aha, well, my family has a few connections with the caravan traders. Perhaps I can discreetly ask around, perhaps get a more anonymous withdrawal.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar approves going by Egan's home for his familiar and so on. Placing his hand lightly on the man's shoulder, he says, "I meant no harm to you, Brahe." He pauses, lost between an apology and a gentle rebuke. "I--we--serve our king, our kingdom, in our own ways. I will hear your counsel, just at appropriate times." He pats the man's shoulder.

Throshar makes a sour face at the prince's suggestion. "If there is a sliver of doubt in your mind, milord, let us not go to the bankers. Moneylenders cannot be trusted under ordinary circumstances. They hate all of noble blood, all who lead and inspire men. Their kind would surely see you to your end if they could."

To his left, the halfling pops up on his toes. "Aha, well, my family has a few connections with the caravan traders. Perhaps I can discreetly ask around, perhaps get a more anonymous withdrawal." His voice carries an unusual eagerness that Throshkar likes very much.

"Ah, good! Just be sure you can trust your... contacts. As a fellow nobleman, you know as well as I the depths to which merchants and the like will crawl. I will leave the matter to you." Throshkar then crosses his arms and reports to the prince what he learned from Falkner and his observations of their outpost.

"Milord, do you wish to remain here, or with the Cavaliers? Tomorrow, as you will it, Louis and I will to the arena, to test my arms and his learning before my fame begins to precede me. Regis can remain with you, as Brahe transports his goods to the inn and good Adrian gathers information about our... financial options."

"How does that sound?"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-28 at 01:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Regis

I will be with the cavaliers tomorrow. I will go among them and heal their wounded. That is my duty. If the prince wishes to be with me on that journey of pain, then so be it. Regis shrugs and waits for Throshkar's dander to get up.

I can also go to withdraw money from the princes accounts, on behalf of the church, to 'cover burial expense' of the prince if we want to make it look like he has died. Regis says with a smirk, waiting for Throshkar to jump all over him about being dishonorable.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-12-29 at 04:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well then, let us gather some more information before we make a decision regarding our next course of action. I will remain here for the night since we did make a payment on the room and tomorrow we will make our decision. I think that staying with the cavaliers might be a good option even if there is a traitor in the bunch, it might rouse him out. It is also wise to check up on the money lending situation as well. Until tomorrow then...." replies the prince as he heads off to bed. As he reaches his door he turns and replies, "You know, I do trust you guys to make the right decisions. I feel rather lost and in the need of help, the last thing I want to do is make the wrong decision and end up on the wrong side of a dagger. I trust that you will make the right decisions."

*****The next morning*****

Adrian in your casing of the banks you find the one the prince has his fathers money in, the greedy goblin. All the banks in this city seem to be well guarded. In fact, most of the banks have windows in which one does business with the banker through steel bars, one does not even enter the building. You get the feeling that it would be hard to break in and get the money so you would feel good about storing your goods here. Additionally, the bankers will need proof of identification of the prince, you get the feeling from talking with one banker that his coin might do the trick.

Regis you return to the Cavaliers to heal them. You are able to tend to some of the warrior's wounds but many of them are beyond the help of even magic. There are numerous amputations and poor bone settings. You are able, with the help of your magic and healing skills remove sickness from open wounds and ease the pain of many of the warriors (as if they would actually say they are in pain).

15. - Top - End - #75

Regis

As Regis walks among the cavaliers he listens in to the talk and banter among the knights. He will make sure that as many as possible feel his healing touch (even if for just 1 point). He is watchful for those that are hiding wounds and those that feel the pain of old healed wounds that need to be healed correctly. He will spend the day caring for the men and getting to know them.

He then speaks to Falker Sir, I have done all that I can today for the bodies of these men. I wish to do more for their immortal souls, if it is okay with you I would like to speak to the men after the nightly meal and then take absolutions and confessions, give blessings and start the healing of their souls.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar sees nothing in Regis' comments to complain about; he has no reason to care if the cleric lies to money-grubbing bankers, though the knight's own honor is too pristine to treat so... cavalierly.

With Adrian and Regis off on their own missions, Throshkar is unwilling to leave the Prince alone with the wizard, not yet, at least. He sends Louis to assist the mage in transporting his goods back to the inn, and spends much of the day polishing his new armor and taking care of his other equipment. Louis of course has done an excellent job with everything, but the Cavalier likes to apply his own touch to it all.

Throsh talks in detail with the prince about the Council -- who they are and where they might be. They also discuss the key strongholds around the kingdom that they may need to capture in order to force the elder prince to parlay. "At some point, my Prince, we shall have to send an emissary to your brother, to let our intentions be known. We wish for the Council to be reinstated so that a proper king may be selected, e'en if it be him. The law of the land so decrees it; so it must be done."

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope we'll get Olna back, and she'll be willing & able to play royal emissary when it comes time.

To Crimson77: I'd like to get an idea of what it's going to require for us to find &/or rescue the Council. Throsh is not yet eager to attack the elder prince, despite what he's done to the Cavaliers. He wants to follow the established legal process first, if he can.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-12-29 at 11:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian shrugs. So much for that then. On to the holy man plan I guess.

And so he returns to HQ just as Throshkar spills his latest plan. Adrian bites his tongue to avoid blowing his cover with a lecture on the dark side of human nature, and, for that matter, the how the real world works.

Aha. Well sir, I do not believe that the Usurper Prince will be so inclined to reason and rule of law. The fate off your comerades I think is proof enough of his intentions, to wit, absolute power, above even the law, for himself and his allies both. Even were to find a legal route to power, I can't imagine him being a true rightful king.

That an' he'd kill any emissary you sent, right after torturing our location out of 'em. 'The law of the land so decrees.' Pfft. Right, well if I have to live under some crazy maniac who sends people off to be dragon's playthings I'll go ahead and stuff the law.

Not that I don't already, but hey, whatever.

Adrian sighs heavily and throws himself into a chair. Seem's my familiy relations do me no good this day. I suppose I was being optimistic from the start. He drums his fingers on the armrest. Alright M'Lord, I'm taking you to get some good halfling cooking.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Throshkar agrees I'll take him to the nice bakery with the cute halfling waitress.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

[OOC: Read my OOC post first]

You spend a few days getting a lot of small things accomplished like getting the prince some money, getting him a new pair of armor and a weapon, meeting with the cavaliers a few more times and anything else that you wanted to do. With the prince having money things seem to go a little smoother, he pays for much of what you need (lodging, food, etc) and he gives each of you a hefty sum of 500 gold for your services and to spend on anything else you need.

The prince gathers you up and reports that he has a general plan of action for the next few months that he thinks will be the best course of action. "During the last few days you have meet with the cavaliers and we seem to have come to a consensus that they can be trusted, especially since they have put Throshkar in charge so I think it is time that I meet with them and Throshkar revealed himself to them."

"I agree with Throshkar that we need to instate the counsel and gather support from the nobles. We should gather up the cavaliers and troops that we have gathered here and head closer to our city. We were able to identify an old fort that has not been used for some time to act as our base of operations. I would like you four to head to the fort and clear it out. We have no idea what is living there after all this time. I will come in a weeks time with Falkner and some builders so that we can get the place in order.

The old fort was constructed in the Dragon Wars by my grandfathers army, so it belongs to our kingdom. Thus, the inhabitants have no claim to the place. I have ordered Lewis to gather up a mule with all the appropriate rations for the journey. After we meet with the cavaliers tonight, I think it best that you leave in the morn."

You reach the cavaliers warehouse where the prince turns to Throshkar and says, "Well, would you be willing to introduce us to your men and give them their new orders?"

19. - Top - End - #79

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan enjoyed his time in the City of Freemen and actually started to relax with his new compatriots (or rebels). There was little else he could do other than begin to build the new bonds between them each. This was difficult to do with some of them when he introduced Kaylee, his Pseudodragon familiar, but they soon all liked her. Well, maybe tolerated her. I'm not sure that brute can appreciate the strengths and uses of magic. But realizing this probably led to the best conversation that he was able to have in a while, when Regis and Adrian left the Inn, and Egan had leisurely conversation with the Cavalier about his past and connections to the Prince and kingdom.

"I do worry about my family that is still there. My father and sister are still there, and my father was a blacksmith often used by the old king." Egan went on to tell about how his father was not from the kingdom, but was a warrior in the barbarian tribes to the north. Though Egan was born in the new kingdom and felt his allegiances there, his two older brothers had returned to the barbarian tribes to seek their fame. Neither had understood their father's permission for Egan to study the arcane arts. But his father, no longer a warrior due to an injury, was a wise man and knew Egan was not to be a warrior. "He would say, 'Just look at the size of you. No, you will not wield a battleaxe my son.'"

But when the Prince announced the intention for the campaign to begin, anxiety and excitement leaped into his soul. At last we begin. I have a warrior's patience for all the excitement I am feeling. Steady, Egan. For these matters, again he took his place to the rear, to the position of adviser.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

"Aha. Well sir, I do not believe that the Usurper Prince will be so inclined to reason and rule of law," says the halfling carefully. "The fate of your comrades I think is proof enough of his intentions: to wit, absolute power, above even the law, for himself and his allies both. Even were he to find a legal route to power, I can't imagine him being a true rightful king."

"It matters not the foul depths to which others plunge!" cries Throshkar. "We must keep our own honor pristine, else we blemish the name of nobility to which you and I lay claim, my friend. Should the Ursurper indeed prove false and defy the law of our land by denying the rule of law, then mayst we ursurp the ursuper... but not before. He may yet have fair reasons for such foul acts...."

This last phrase is delivered in a strangely hesitant, almost fragile tone that gives Adrian pause. 'Doubt is not an easy experience for this man, is it?' he thinks.

Everyone enjoys the bakery, though Throshkar declares far too loudly that the portions are "too small!" He smiles and laughs in some confusion when he realizes he's made an unintentional jest.

During his tet-a-tet with Egan, Throshkar chuckles at the thought of the frail man being a barbarian warrior. Still, he tells the mage, he has known men of slight stature who trained rigorously and became tremendous swordsmen in their own rights.

"I would not have supposed you had savage blood in you, though perhaps there is something about your brow, and of course your skin.... Well, I am glad you have overcome your race, Brahe, and glad that you prove loyal to the true king."

Throshkar recognizes the name of Egan's father and praises his smithy as works of high art. He in turn tells the mage about his father, a stern aristocrat whose accomplishments on the battlefield are only outshone by his meritorious deeds in the name of the old king's court. Throshkar does not mention Duke delaBlanche's potentially traitorous support of a movement to replace the king with his eldest son -- if Brahe is as well-placed as he says, he may have heard a hint of a whisper of a rumor, but no more, and the Cavalier would rather disembowel himself than bring up the topic.

Shortly after this, Throshkar asks Regis to deliver a message to his father & brothers letting them know he is safe and "in the service of the prince."

To Egan's great surprise, the Cavalier is delighted with the pseudodragon Kaylee. Throshkar converses for hours on end with her about dragons, which he steadfastly believes must be her "noble" ancestors. Louis keeps his distance, memories of the fear-inducing white dragon still flashing through his brain.

Throshkar's disappointment that the local arena has been closed for repairs is washed away by the Prince's new orders...

Standing before the Cavaliers, Throshkar removes his helm hastily and takes one very deep breath. His eyes are wide and gazing upwards, his face shining with something joyous at his release. Finally, he speaks:

"My fellow Cavaliers! Men of honor, all -- men of strength and service to your kingdom -- I am Throshkar delaBlanche, Major in the Cavaliers, and Protector of the young Prince Aseral. You will know after this day why I was unable to shed my blood with you on the day you stood against the Ursurper King.

As appetizer, I present to you three excellent men who stand by us in defense of our kingdom: though they are not Cavaliers, they still demand our respect as guardians of our prince.

Regis, Holy Man of our God, a healer and traveler whose wide frame contains a good, if sometimes crude heart, eh?!

Adrian da Gras, aristocrat of the halfling line, a noble wit and cunning swordsman. Beware both, my men!

And Egan Brahe, former court magician to the True King. Let not his visage fool you, for he carries in him the blood of brutal warriors!

But surely you wonder of the fourth man who stands beside us. From his mere presence, no doubt you have surmised he is a man of much import. Such power in his stance, such nobility in his brow. Yes, he is here to call upon all your strength, my fellow Cavaliers -- your honor, e'en your very lives, they belong to this man: Prince Aseral!"

Throshkar kneels to the Prince as he finishes. After Aseral says a few words of thanks, Throshkar stands again and instructs the Cavaliers of their mission to protect the Prince and prepare to take the fort; his group will do initial reconnaisance and capture the structure if possible. He dismisses the men and takes Falkner and any remaining officers into the back to discuss specific strategy. They talk long into the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whee! Huge post!!! I thought about putting it into two posts, but that seemed even more huge...
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-02 at 01:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

The prince thanks Throshkar for his words of wisdom. The cavaliers seem to be taken aback and thankful that their organization now has the royal crown in leading in front of it.

Falkner reports that he will escort the prince and very small army to the fort a week after the party leaves giving them time to clear it out of any vermin that may be living there. The prince speaks up when it comes to this task, "Throshkar, I know this task seems to be a small one but it is important. I must also try to gather up some masons and other craftmen. I would rather not have the army show up with me only to have myself killed or a craftman by vermin that lives there. I know you and your group are the most powerful so it only seems right to have you be the ones that clear out any vermin that lives there. Lewis has a mule with supplies waiting for your departure tomorrow. Godspeed with you as you go. I hope you do not have to do anything more than clear out a few small spider webs."

[OOC: Feel free to purchase any last things before you leave the town. I will most likely post the start of this new adventure on monday in this thread.So you have until then to ask any last questions or buy supplies]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2009-01-02 at 08:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian smiles at the Cavalier's back as he walks away. He's no idiot. Untested, naive, yeah, but not stupid. Just... rigid. Alright, time to unveil the gear...

Adrian goes to his hole in the wall, and dons the black leather armor, almost imperceptably surrounded by a magical glow. He throws his climbing gear, along with his signiture pouch of flour to dust his hands, over his shoulder and then balences it with his backpack with his 'hairpins,' tanglefoot bags, smokesticks, and sunrods. He dumps his aristocratic garb, and finally pulls out Thaedras's matched crossbows. While the rapier had been very functional, these were functional and works of beauty. Not Throshkar's gaudy gems and bright sashes, but the dark, sleek beauty of an assasin's weapon. They scared Adrian, even though, or perhaps because, he'd become well aquainted with their use under Theadras's sink-or-swim tutelage.

He slips them into the holsters across his chest. Showtime.

He walks out, throws his kit and backpack onto his new pet, and steels himself.
    Rule six: Act like it's normal and they'll treat it as such. Act like you got something to hide and they'll come looking. Rule six: Act like it's normal and they'll treat it as such. Act like you got something to hide and they'll come looking. Rule 6...

Spoiler
    Show

Alright guys, cue reaction to the sudden transformation into commando mode.

I am taking:
    Climbing Kit
    Armor
    Crossbows
    Rapier
    Sun rods
    Thieves Tools
    Tangle Foot bags
    Grappleing Hook
    Rope
    Which is just under my max load if I don't have Fido along with to take the weight. (Fido is a guy dog no? What's a good name for a bit- female?)
    I'll probably leave my rope and grapple (24 pounds!) etc. with the dog
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-01-02 at 11:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

In the morning, you gather up the last remaining things that you need and get ready to head out. The open road seems refreshing after spending a week in the city. The winter winds are still blowing from the north but there is little snow in your path.

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

L10 - Throshkar
    O9 - Olin
    N13 - Regis
    Q13 - Adrian
    R13 - Riding dog
    O11 - Egan

The days pass quickly on the road as you get to know each other a little better. There is a sense of excitement as you get closer to your destination knowing that you will have a new home for a while with a small army following you in the next week. One morning you finally come upon the fort. There is no road heading to the fort and as you get closer you realize how much this fort is in disrepair. There are five buildings with four of them in complete disrepair without roofs. There is one building which stills has a roof and you find that there is no holes in the building. The strong iron door is still standing and sealed to the building. You see an iron ring attacked to the door but even if you pull upon it it will not open. There are some ruins on the door and some loose iron tiles on the ground near the door, you think this may be a puzzle. The ruins on the door look like this...

The following tiles containing numbers are spread around the ground near the door. The following numbers are found on the tiles spread around the ground 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9, & 9.

The puzzle works by placing the tiles fit over the Greek symbols to complete the equation.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar is only too happy to be sent off to a potential battle; now that the Cavaliers are gathered, he is utterly confident in the Prince's security.

"Adrian!! Are you all right? Lord Above, man, you look like you're going to a funeral!" Throshkar shakes his head ruefully, a cockeyed grin on his face. "Surely it won't be so bad as all that -- just stay behind me and all will be well, I promise you, little man!" He thumps his breastplate, emblazoned with the White Lady of his family's coat of arms. The white steel shimmers like starlight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to RP back, I wouldn't mind more on this scene, or we can continue to banter about it on the trip to the fort and on...

After throwing his entire strength into opening the door and failing, Throshkar stomps off -- not mad, but definitely miffed. He proceeds to inspect the fort's overall location and foundation, checking for natural faults, defensive points, and paths by which they can bring in needed construction materials. He leaves inspecting the ruins and the unopenable door to the rest of the party.

Henri sniffs around the ruins, hunting no doubt for food, while Louis cares for the mule and Arondight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is "Olin" my dog Henri?

Henri searching for corpses/skeletons... Spot:
    [roll0]
    Scent track:
    [roll1]

Throshkar fort inspection (don't know what bonus to add... Appraise +6, Spot -1, something else??):
    [roll2]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying again... Henri searching for corpses/skeletons... Spot:
    (d20+5)[24]
    Scent track:
    (d20+4)[19]

Throshkar fort inspection (don't know what bonus to add... Appraise +6, Spot -1, something else??):
    (d20)[19]

26. - Top - End - #86

Regis

Regis walks along as mellow and carefree as always. He assists anyone in need along the way in small ways, calling food, freeing stuck wheels, etc. Every night he creates a crude stone hut for the group to sleep in and for other travellers to use as they require in the future.

Regis eyes Adrian with a knowing smile for his change in clothes, an old friend of his was a halfling rogue, Regis had no thoughts of saving the 'little man'. He wouldn't be needing saving unless something went drastically wrong.

Upon arrival to the fort Regis walks with care around the area, his holy symbol in hand as he looks things over. He sees the group examining the puzzle door and shakes his head That's beyond me. I can take the door off its hinges but that will be out last resort.

27. - Top - End - #87

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan spends his remaining time gathering and packing his belongings. He does visit the magic shops to pick up some more spell components, and perhaps a scroll or potion to round out his equipment list.

When Adrian presents himself for travel, Egan tries to hide is reaction some. His face scrunches up a bit because he didn't expect it from the halfling. I may need to adjust my opinion on this one. What are his true talents? After he realizing that he may be staring at the halfling he lets out a small, "Hmm... I...", and turns back to his equipment.

At the ruins, Egan was tired from the journey. He often travelled far on his good horse, but it was never easy for him to ride all day. The open air was refreshing, but it always seemed he couldn't get comfortable in the saddle. So he welcomed the puzzle when they arrived.

When the number tiles were pointed out he knelt down by the door and started scratching in the dirt, and rearranging tiles, muttering to himself. He then notices Kaylee peering over his shoulder. Well, go on. Look about, I can take care of this." Kaylee snorts, but takes flight to look around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    After throwing his entire strength into opening the door and failing, Throshkar stomps off
    Egan scooped the tiles back together after them being scattered, shaking his head and quietly laughing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaylee's Spot: (1d20+9)[23]

"Well, assuming that each of the characters is the same number, it appears we don't need to worry about any missing tiles. And, there's only one solution." Egan lifts his hands in the air with a questioning look on his face and looks up to Kaylee first, then anyone else who is around him for confirmation. The tiles are arranged on the ground as:
    5 + 3 = 8
    + _ + _ +
    3 + 2 = 5
    ---------
    8 + 5 = 13

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around you do see many bones scattered around the area. These bones crunch as you walk over the rock covered grassy areas of the fort. You are uncertain if the bones are human (or demihuman) or animal but many of them have bit marks in them. There are also rusty weapon and armor parts scattered around the area as well. Nothing sparks your interest as you look around....

The fort was hastily constructed years ago which has lead to this state of disrepair. There are some foothills and forests to the east which building materials must have been brought from. However, even with the fort in such disrepair you think that improvements could easily be made to make it a stronghold once again.

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Louis is the new figure on the map

...As Egan slides the tiles into place the door squeaks spreading dust and dirt into the air. The only standing building is shed in light from the open door and small holes in the tile ceiling making you squint a little as you look into the darkened room. As you peer closer into the room you are met with the unmistakable smell of urine and decay. Scattered around the single room are bones (which look human) that have been chewed and broken. Rotting flesh still sticks to a few of the bones as they sit in pools of darkish liquid. There is a small door in the floor to the east. In the northwestern corner there is a large pile of rubbish decaying in the damp environment of this room.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian, who'd been hoping for high walls, leaves his climbing gear with the dog, who he ties to a tree with the rope. There you are, er, Bandit.
    He checks his crossbows and then walks in. Nice job, Egan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the short post, I'm running on fumes here.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The heavily armored knight calls over from the ridge from which he has been looking out across the valley below: "Well, men? Anything interesting in there? Anything alive needs killing?"

"Henri! Heel, Henri!"
    For once, the dog listens to its master, rearing back and away from the stench pouring out of the building.