New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 2] The City of Freemen

Adrian, has once again reverted to his gung-ho attitude, happy to release after intrigue, paranoia and garbage heap shooting. Hello in there? he says to the hole, and then he, with out any further ado pulls out the bar and opens the door.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

The scratches seem to be made by several large animals in rage. You see nothing of interest in the area.

The adjacent door is closed without the hole that one can look through.

Adrian removes the bar from the door and pulls it open. The men in the room look startled by the door opening and cry out in fear. Adrian hears a hissing sound and starts to cough.

[Adrian make a fort save DC 15]
    Spoiler
    Show

>15
    Spoiler
    Show
    You cough and feel a bit sick

<15
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel rather sick and disoriented
    (1d4)[2] wisdom damage

I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

All right. *cough* You two can stop yelling. Givin' me a headache.

Spoiler
    Show
    C'mon baby, daddy needs a new pair of everything. (1d20+4)[14] augh... off by one! Well, even less careful than ever...
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-01-08 at 08:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar pushes his way into the room and displays his lance with pennon. "Hail and well met, strangers! You are in the presence of the prince's envoy and defender, Throshkar deLaBlanche. Know you we come to reclaim this structure and its great tracts of land in the name of our lord Prince Aseral." He throws back his helm. "You reside on his rightful property. Say you your purpose here!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to H10 and yak. In case a fort save is required:
    (d20+9)[28] Success.

Any chance that's a "fear effect"? And who's taking bets on lycanthropes?
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-08 at 08:12 PM.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

The men scurry back against the wall away from the large knight. Finally, after a few painstaking moments one starts to speak. "I do not know why we are here. Our caravan was ambushed at night and we were bound up and dragged here. Your light is the first we have seen in god knows how long. There used to be more of us but our captors have taken them away...." The mans voice trails off as if he is uncertain what else to say.

Adrian make another Fort save DC 15 (after 1 min)
    Spoiler
    Show

If pass
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel a bit better

If fail
    Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6)[9] more wisdom damage

I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    *crosses fingers* (1d20+4)[7]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hey there... umm... Adrian falls over, insensible.

Spoiler
    Show
    And I've got negative WIS!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Merchants, then?" Throshkar's face twists. "Still, you are the prince's subjects. Tell us of your capt-- Da Gra!!" Throshkar turns when he hears the halfling slump to the ground behind him -- he calls his name, then quickly bellows out to the hall, "Regis! Da Gra has taken ill!"

He spins back to the two men and glowers. "What have you done to him?!" With a powerful thrust of his leg, he kicks down the rack in the center of the room. "TELL ME!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If the rack doesn't look like it can be kicked over, Throshkar won't bother. Intimidate roll: (d20+8)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 11 | LG | Medium
    hp: 101/101 | | Spd: 20/15 | AC/T/FF | 21/11/20 | +1 Plate Mail
    +1 Bastard Sword | +16/+11/+6 | 1d10+6 | 17-20/x2 | No ranged atk
    SV | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Wil +2||+2 v. Enchant, Sleep
    STR 16 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 14
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +12|Intimidate +8|Diplom. +4[/table]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-08 at 10:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The disheveled merchants press their bodies even farther against the stone to get away from the knight whom kicks the old wooden rack which smashes it to pieces before their very eyes sending splinters of wood towards them. "Sir, we respect the King and have done nothing to your friend!!! We are but simple merchants left here to die or worse by our captors."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The cavalier's lips press into a thin line. If they hadn't been money-grubbing worms, he could have trusted their words -- he would have mortified to treat any other men so ungallantly -- but as it was...

"You say have been held against your will. Tell us of your captors, then." They did have a bar across the door, on the outside, didn't they? But something had just felled his fellow nobleman. What could it have been?

"Regis!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-09 at 12:04 AM.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

The cleric steps forward and picks up the slumping halfing. Taking him quietly to the back of the party again he examines him.

Heal (1d20+9)[26]

After a few moment she casts a spell of restoration on the halfling restoring the mental powers of the rogue.

Spoiler
    Show
    cast Restoration on Adrian after moving to his position and returning to the entry way
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrian stands up now awake after his loss of consciousness. Regis returns to the entryway to this underground dungeon. The prisoners now turn their attention to Throshkar’s question, ”We know little of our captors. They feed us burnt meat a few times a week with sour tasting water. They rarely speak to us and when they come and they attack us in the dark with spears to keep us weak and drag one away.”

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian sits bolt up right. WhereamI!? He pauses to breath for a few moments. Oh. Oh... my head. He looks at Regis's face and slowly grins. What, no dragons this time?

Note to self: It's not just the rich paranoids who use the poison traps.

So what happened to those guys in the room? Captives? Seems to be a hobby of yours, eh, Regis.

Adrian walks to the other door and gives it a good look over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take twenty on my search check for traps. Bonus of +1.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

Egan, after watching much of the commotion, moves up alongside Throshkar and listens to the 'prisoners'. "How many of you were taken here? And are your captors human?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to G10.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Egan Brahe| Human | Wizard (Diviner) | LVL 11 | NG | Medium
    hp: 41/41 | | Spd: 30' | AC/T/FF | 17/16/15 | Bracers (+1) & Spell
    QuarterStaff (MW) | +5 | 1d6-1 | Dagger | +7 | 1d4-1
    SV | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Wil +8 | |
    STR 8 | DEX 14 | CON 13 | INT 19 | WIS 12 | CHA 10
    Skills | Spot +3 | Listen +3 | Concentration +15 | Spellcraft +18 |
    Skills | Know: Arcana +18 | Know: Geography +12 | Know: Nobility +12 | | [/table]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Adrian searches around the door for quite a while. He seems to be checking each individual wood fiber and crack in the old door before pronouncing that the door is safe to open but it is stuck.

All the while the search is progressing the interrogation of the prisoners continues, "We know little of our captors numbers. There seems to be many of them when they stormed the wagon train but everything happened so quickly that there could have been less. Usually three or four came to take my friends away. At least two would stand there poking us with spears while one or two dragged away another one. You see, it was so dark that it was hard to tell just how many there were. It could have just been one but there seemed to be many other bodies crowding in this small room. They would not speak to each other while they took us away. I have heard voices down the hallways sometimes but it is often hard to hear what they are saying...." The mans voice trails off as if he is uncertain what else to say.

[OOC: it will take a while for Adrian to finish searching the other door.]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar continues to glare at the men as Regis removes the unconcious halfling. One more trick, and they...! After just a few seoncds, Adrian, slightly worse for wear, reappears and begins tinkering with the doorframe across the hall.

The mage joins Throshkar in their interrogation space while the cavalier glances at the rubble before him. What was it he just shattered? Is there anything in the room to indicate the men's story is false?

Spoiler
    Show
    Search:(d20+0)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-09 at 07:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Throshkar shattered the old wooden rack that must have been used for torture in the past. There as small scrapes of bone and an old rusty iron bowl in the room as well. You see nothing else of worth or use in the room.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar shakes his head. "As is too common for your ilk, you offer nothing of true value. You have trespassed on the prince's property -- therefore, you must swear fealty to the prince now upon his ring, and aid us as we inspect these tunnels. If you do not, we shall have to punish you accordingly."

As useless as a merchant's oath be, they may yet be turned to a better cause...

The cavalier removes his hand and reveals the prince's signet for the men to swear upon. Once they do so, he replaces the gauntlet and turns to leave the room.

"Come, then."

Spoiler
    Show
    Step a few feet closer to the men; don't let them touch the ring, just give their oaths to it. Then move to i11.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-09 at 07:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Regis

Regis gives a sardonic grin and just keeps walking. [move to H11 in the middle of the t cross roads.]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

[I will update the map soon. I am a bit under the weather today]

The two men fall before Throshkar and give their oath to the king. There is an astonished look on their face since they were only here trespassing due to their capture. However, they do not question the knights authority. They slowly rise and start walking out of the room. The men are slow and compliant but they swagger and fall a few times just getting out of the room. You can tell they are very weak from their imprisonment. One finally gets the courage up to say to Throshkar, "Sir, I mean no disrespect to or the king but we have not sleep nor eaten much in weeks. We would love to get out of here and be with our families. Could you take us to the surface?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright, well this one looks clean. Adroan straightens up. Throshkar, this door is in my way, and refuses to open. Perhaps a judicious application of boot to door will open it.

22. - Top - End - #142

Regis

After looking down each of the cross passages he returns back to the two prisoners. Here's what you two need to do. First of all take this Regis hands them a water skin and a couple days worth of rations. Then go to the surface and rest.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

The prisoners greedily eat the food as soon as it is given to them. With crumbs falling out of one's mouth he asks, "How do we get out of here?" After getting directions the two men slowly walk down the passageway, their strides broken from the abuse they suffered at the hands of unknown assailants. Soon you are left with the thought that you are still not alone in this place.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe

As the merchants are shown from the room by Regis, Egan puts himself near Throshkar to grab his attention. "Fortunately they gave their oath freely. I think we should send them to the surface. Down here they will only be a hindrance, slowing down our actions and decisions." Egan looks around the rest of the room and tries to laugh at the table Throshkar readily demolished, but is stifled by the lingering mood. Kaylee, do you sense anyone close to us? I cannot shake another presence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaylee has Blindsense and Telepathy.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Egan Brahe| Human | Wizard (Diviner) | LVL 11 | NG | Medium
    hp: 41/41 | | Spd: 30' | AC/T/FF | 17/16/15 | Bracers (+1) & Spell
    QuarterStaff (MW) | +5 | 1d6-1 | Dagger | +7 | 1d4-1
    SV | Fort +4 | Ref +5 | Wil +8 | |
    STR 8 | DEX 14 | CON 13 | INT 19 | WIS 12 | CHA 10
    Skills | Spot +3 | Listen +3 | Concentration +15 | Spellcraft +18 |
    Skills | Know: Arcana +18 | Know: Geography +12 | Know: Nobility +12 | | [/table]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

When the men beg for mercy, Throshkar crosses his arms and growls. 'Conniving, lying, worthless scum...!' "I'm sure if I waved a sack of gold in your direction..." He is cut off by Regis maneuvering his considerable bulk back down the hall; the cleric offers the men nourishment, which they wolf down. 'Greedy, filthy...!'

"Fortunately, they gave their oath freely. I think we should send them to the surface, suggests Egan. Throshkar glances at him, doubt written all over his face. "Down here they will only be a hindrance, slowing down our actions and decisions."

The cavalier blinks. And gapes. And gapes again. As he does, Regis sends the men on their way. Finally, Throshkar finds his voice.

"My God, Brahe! I am a fool -- of course, you are correct. Should there be a true threat to us here, worms such as they would be quick to endanger us and flee the battlefield or draw fire upon us to save their worthless skins. Thank you, wizard, for opening mine eyes."

The knight feels a tap at his belt -- it is Adrian, who gestures again at the door across the hall. "As I said, Throshy, this door is in my way, and--"

One powerful stride and another powerful kick interrupts the halfling's words. "Bryeeaaah!!!!" Throshkar bellows, a great toothy smile on his face as his boot strikes the door.

When the men reach the surface, Louis will accost them, sword in hand. Once they explain themselves, he will offer them succor as any cavalier less biased than Throshkar would.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check to break door: (d20+3)[19]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-01-11 at 11:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

[map]
    Spoiler
    Show

Kaylee does not sense anything creatures within her powers in the near area, that is to say that she does not know of any creatures that are within 60 feet without total concealment.

The door smashes open with a large bang bringing dust and debris down into the room. The room is small with several sacks of rotting grains and broken furniture scattered about the room. There is a door on the south side of the room as well.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar delaBlanche

Pleased with his work, the knight turns and strides confidently over to the crossing tunnels, where he looks in each direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to K12. Spot/Listen = -1.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You all look around and intensively listen to your surroundings, you get the sense that you are not alone down here but you cannot tell where the inhabitants are located. You have not been too quite in your decent so far so you get the feeling that what ever is down here is waiting to be found.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian pads over to Throshkar, nodsm and then moves up to the northern door, once again giving it a through look over.

Spoiler
    Show
    On to L4 and taking twenty on search check. (+3)

Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian:
    {table] Adrian |Halfling | Rogue | LVL 11 | CN | Small
    hp: 45/45 | | Spd: 20| AC/T/FF | 19/14/16 | +2 Studded Leather
    MW Rapier| +13/+8 | 1d4 | 18-20/x2 | MW Crossbow | +13/+8| 1d3 | 19-20/x2 |
    SV | Fort +4 | Ref +11 | Wil +3|
    STR 10 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | INT 16 | WIS 8 | CHA 13
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Tumble +13|Bluff +14|Diplom. +3[/table]
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-01-13 at 10:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

You find no traps on the door and you are about to tell the party the door is safe when you notice that the door does not have any hinges and seems be to loosely supported and fitted in the wrong direction. Then before you can react you hear a thud on the opposite side of the door and the door falls toward you. Your thief like reflexes allow you to dodge to the side as the door come crashing down. A creature is standing on the door hissing at you. The creature looks to be part human and part rodent but with large claws and fierce teeth. It snarls and then attacks the halfling before he can react. The creature's claw tears into Adrain's armor as if it were soft butter and into his flesh sending blood spattering onto the wall. [Adrian make a fort save DC 15]

What does the party do now?

Rat Man HP: 50/50, AC: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[21] (1d8+7)[10] If hit DC 15 Fortitude save
    Last edited by crimson77; 2009-01-13 at 10:29 PM.