New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Legend of the Ebon Eye

This is the IC thread. Here's where your roleplay your warlord & faction and where I post initiative rolls, battle reports and NPC dialog. If you post OOC stuff in this thread, please use the spoiler tags. But generally speaking, you should post your OOC in the Ebon Eye lounge.

The Story of the Ebon Eye

Spoiler
    Show

In the First Age, the gods created the earth and filled it with many species of creatures and plants. Some of their creations were beautiful and pure, some were poisonous and vile. When their work was done, the gods vowed to leave the earth and let the mortals take care of it.

Because the gods knew the mortals were naive and short-sighted, they agreed to leave one of their own behind to oversee the activities of their creations. However, they could not agree on who should be left behind because each of the gods had selfish ambitions. Thus Shanees, goddess of life and death gave birth to Skaless, god of balance. To be able to maintain the balance, he was given the power to see all good and all evil in the world. His left eye was a glowing orb of pure white, representing all that is good in the world, and his right eyeball was black as night, representing everything that is evil. The gods saw that it was good and they departed. Thus ended the First Age.

However, Lochee, god of betrayal, broke his vow and remained in the realm of mortals. For centuries, he poured lies in Skaless's ear and little by little, Lochee managed to poison his mind. Skaless's left eye went blind and he no longer could see the good deeds of mortals; he could no longer tell good and evil apart. The minds of men and other sentient creatures were soon similarly corrupted and filled with anger, jealousy, fear and despair. Wars raged in every corner of the earth.

The gods returned to the realm of mortals in attempt to dethrone Skaless who - in his madness - had named himself Sovereign of the Universe. He had grown in power and the gods soon realized none of them was a match for Skaless. But together they managed to put Skaless in chains that Athron, the patron deity of blacksmiths, had crafted. Skaless's Ebon Eye was plucked out and cast down to the earth. Thus ended the Second Age.

Factions

The Unceasing Vigil (neutral animated statues; they protect the artifact)
    The Storm Templars (hybrid breed + steampunk; motives unknown)
    The Legion of Blight (evil undead; motives unknown)
    Druchii Exiles (evil elves; they want to claim a land of their own)
    Native Defense Force (humans(?); they defend the island against intruders)
    Asur Colonial Expedition (good elves; they want to destroy the Druchii)
    The Unending Horde (evil demons; they want to retrieve the Eye for their demon prince)
    The Golem Host (humans & golems; they need the Eye to power their automatons)

Tutorial for new players

On Round 1, it is a good idea to (try to) conquer one of the two adjacent neutral territories with the basic unit you get for free. You may want to send emissaries to your neighboring factions (by sending PMs to the players) and try to persuade them not to take the same territory.

If you move all your units away from a territory you control, you lose the territory. Therefore, you should create another unit in your starting territory. One basic unit in each territory is exempt from upkeep cost, so creating a basic unit is a good idea if you want to save gold. If you intend to conquer the other adjacent territory on your next turn, consider creating an elite unit instead because they are stronger than basic units.

When you've decided what to do, send me an action report. In the following example, the player attacks a territory and creates a new basic unit:

RALLY/BUILD
    [Your territory]: 1 basic unit
    Total gold used: 3
    Gold left: 2

MOVE/ATTACK/ASSIST
    [Your territory] >>> [Neutral territory]: 1 basic

Depending on your warlord traits and the building you got for free, you may have more options:
    • If you have the Barracks, you can attack with newly created units. Thus, you can create an elite unit and attack with it.
    • If you have the Port, you can attack any coastal territory with your basic unit.
    • If you have the Noble Birth trait, you have 10 gold which means you can buy several units or even a building.

Useful links

See my signature. Everything you need to play the game.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2008-12-06 at 06:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Legend of the Ebon Eye

Chryses Enlil stood atop the platform that allowed him to survey his domain in the sunlight, the light gleaming off his towering, gold tinted form. He was massive, even for the Unceasing Vigil. Standing a good ten feet tall, and engraved in the shape of a towering, male angel, glowing runes moved across the surface of his body, and his eyes gleamed intelligently. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, surveying the currently activated legions that lay below him. Behind him, the numerous spires and parapets of the Cathedral shone in the daylight, and hymns echoed through the stone corridors as the Priests continued their Rites.

Behind him, dutifully, stood Usha Anat, his lover and second-in command. Standing at eight feet tall, she was carved in the image of Preya herself, a beautiful, nigh perfect statue of a young woman, tinted with silver and jade. She looked more worried than Chryses, her concern easily visible. Her face clears when the towering angelic figure turns his head to her, and speaks in a deep, masculine voice, which still retains a youthful tone to it.

"It is time, Usha!"

Chryses smiled at her, extending an arm to press her to his side. She hesitates for only a moment, but Chryses appears not to notice.

"I know that you wish for Peace among us, Usha - but the violent intentions of these outsiders can be denied no longer. They seek the Ebon Eye, and we have been too forgiving of their intrusions thus far. Perhaps some of those with good intentions will see reason and cease their incursions - the rest, we will strike down!"

Usha looks downcast, but Chryses doesn't appear to notice once again. He raises his arm not around her, turning them around to the assembled statues below.

"We march to War, brothers! For Skaless! For Preya! The Balance will be maintained!

The statue warriors below cheer cacophanously, their voices gravelly and ancient. Chryses steps away from the balustrade, walking back inside the Cathedral. Usha says something to his retreating back softly, but it is lost amid the roars of those below.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarken looked out from the ramparts of Castle Kaiya. Father was dead. He had finally given up at the last. And now the fate of the Kaiya line rested upon the shoulders of a... scientist. Well, one could apply science to war. All it really took was enough dedication and academic study to master a subject. He would find out how to fight a war.

The Kolditz were becoming restless, so he had sent a band down into the southern forests. Hopefully, they wouldn't encounter resistance. If they did... Kolditz were fearsome hunters. They'd rip apart anyone who got in their way.

He sighed. Now, to learn how to fight a war, win land, win hearts and win a bride. The Kaiya line wasn't going to propogate itself, of course. Conducting experiments on how to fall in love would be difficult, to say the least, but he would persevere!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

M'lord, the construction is under way, and we've got our first regiment under way.

Excellent. What news from our scouting parties?

They speak of an ancient and powerful artifact sir, and Druchii upon the horizon.

Hmm. Well, if we know of it, they most certainly will as well. We can't let them take it to wield as they please. Prepare the city militia. We will have to prepare the troops for combat. Let open the coffers. We will need a strong infrastructure to support a strong army.

Yes m'lord.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

5. - Top - End - #5

Round 1 begins! (and ends on Monday at 11:59 pm EST)

Rolling initiative for Round 1

The Unceasing Vigil
    (1d1000)[551]
    The Storm Templars
    (1d1000)[203]
    The Legion of Blight
    (1d1000)[821]
    Druchii Exiles
    (1d1000)[994]
    Native Defense Force
    (1d1000)[150]
    Asur Colonial Expedition
    (1d1000)[842]
    The Unending Horde
    (1d1000)[939]
    The Golem Host
    (1d1000)[179]

The faction with the smallest number is first in the initiative order, and the one with the biggest number goes last. The initiative order only determines in which order the actions are resolved. You may post your action reports in any order.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2008-12-06 at 08:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oliver hunches over his new clockwork being, staring at it.

Hello... Can you hear me?

The clockwork being rattles.

Yes I can hear you
    An improvement I see.
    I can hear you
    Yes, I see.
    I can-I can- I can- I can...

Oliver scraps the robot and hands it to an assistant

Melt it into armour for my forces.

Oliver sits down, frustrated.

The eye is the key. I must have it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Sir? You missed the parade, I told them to wait but they said that you weren't going to show."
    "They were right. I'm pissed off about this whole travesty. A whole day of festivities? Full dress march? Whatever the hell that is. We should save the celebrating until after we win instead of wasting time on it before. We got Murderous Undead to the South and Murder-Worshiping Elves to the North, both too close for comfort and way to close to be celebrating about it!"
    "But it's important to the people sir..."
    "It's important to those high and mighty who are regrettably funding this war. They haven't had anything this powerful to unify the people in living memory. They want to make sure they get all the credit for it! A lot of good credit will do for them if when they got dark elves chopping off their heads and zombies chewing on their feet! We lost the advantage and we'll be playing catch up the whole war. Mark my words."

Captain Orman did catch a look at the tail end of the parade however, when the young soldier had left. A full ten score of knights were gleaming in "full dress march" flanked by a cheering populace. His face ceased to scowl when he saw them, clearly as annoyed at the delay as he was. Their armor was good, their weapons were new but what made Barret smile slightly were the men inside them. Mostly sons of the various "lords" in and around freeport, but they knew more of the world than their fathers ever would... they knew what it would cost to defend it.
    Last edited by Sacrath; 2008-12-05 at 09:01 PM.
    "I'll give you a 10 second head start; if I catch you, I eat you."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Over a century at sea... it had felt like longer. Since the Ark Kar Ganeth had first landed upon those foreign shores so long ago... they had been doomed. The creatures there were pitiful, as were all things in the eyes of the true rulers of Ulthuan. But the machines... They were another thing all together. Ceaseless, unending hordes, without souls or hearts. They felt no fear. No pain. And no Despair. They had drove the dark elves from the isle... slain many of the warriors of Khaine that sheltered aboard the ark itself... and finally, forced them to abandon their task. The Witch King had not been pleased.

Rather than return and be slain for their failure... Tallis and his men had taken to the sea and roamed. Avoiding the King and his forces for over a century. They had raided coasts for slaves and food, but had dared not stay for long in one place. In that time, little had changed, save that Tallis had watched his son grow from infant to young warrior. While the boy lacked his... "blessing", he was a strong and capable heir, lacking his mother's frailty and condition. She had nearly died birthing the boy... and the healers had told him that she would never be able to bear another. It was just as well, really... as one only truly needed an heir if one expected to die.

Father? We near the coast. Amon's voice came from behind him, calm and even. He was a tall, strong elf... pale of skin and hair, like his father. He was already armored and bore his twin blades proudly at his sides.

Prepare the men. All of them. Tallis said, looking out to sea, You will have the honor to lead them. We take the shore.

Will we need so many for a simple raid, father? The boy asked in a respectful tone.

We do not raid this time, Amon. We shall land. We shall conquer, and we shall claim a land for our own. I will scavenge from the shores of weaklings and beasts no longer. The warlord spoke with fire in his eyes, We were meant to conquer, and to soak the earth in the blood of our foes. To lay the weak to death and offer their souls to Khaine! I have been shackled too long, my son. I will be free.

Of course... father. Amon gave only a short pause... hiding his shock well. The sea was all the boy had ever known. He had raided, but never settled. I will not disappoint you.

I know you will not. Now go. Tallis said, his voice stern.

The young druchii moved off quickly, leaving his father to look out onto the shore as it slowly faded into view.

Are you truly here? He spoke quietly to himself... once the boy was out of earshot. I feel your presence, but... I know not why, after so long... you only show yourself now.

Tallis clenched his fist... feeling the power that lay in him surge, like fire in his blood. The stories of the warlord's great power were no mere myth. It was said he could hew an armored man in half with one sweep of his blade, and that no blade or bow could kill him. Several of his own had seen him take wounds that would kill a man and fight on... and rumor had spread that he was truly immortal. Only Seraf knew the truth. His mistress... His love. But she could not feel what he felt, on this god-forsaken isle.

It was here... He was sure of it. Now, he had but to find it.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Apzaal looks over his lands, watching as the fires of hell spread over the plains they had landed in. In his opinion, the Burning Lands looked much better now. He turns and returns to his base in the plains, moving to one of the daemons in charge of summoning through the hellfires, instructs him on who to bring, and then moves onward, talking to various daemons, not to build their moral, as many leaders do, but to make sure they fear him more than anything.

Go Tigers!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The stench of death and decay surrounded the land. Inside the Archlich's tower, Duke Terrington convened with his leader.

"Yes, my lord. The preparations have been completed. Yes, they have been dispatched. Very well, we shall proceed immediately."

The Archlich left his chambers and went out to the balcony, observing his minions mulling about. The groans of the infantry drifted up from below. They were eager to taste flesh once again.

"The time has come," he shouted. "The Legion marches once again. Prepare to reap the spoils of war." The zombies below made no sign of recognition at first. But then slowly their groans grew louder. And louder. It rose up into a hideous cacophony of guttural sounds and half-words.

The Archlich might have smiled if he had retained his lips. Instead his skeletal leer remained still and grim.

"So it begins."

11. - Top - End - #11

The Combat Phase begins!

Round 1 battles, Part I (attacks vs neutral territories)

Oliver's Warriors advance to the west. In the marshes, they encounter a primitive tribe of lizardfolk. They try to communicate with Oliver's warriors at first, but no-one understands what they're trying to say. Moments later, they attack ferociously!

Spoiler
    Show

Armoured Warriors of Oliver
    (1d6)[1]

vs

Lizardfolk Warriors
    Combat value: 1

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

The Storm Templars send a unit of Kolditz warriors to the forest south of Castle Kaiya. They encounter a group of bark trolls, huge creatures with bark-like skin and long limbs that resemble tree branches. Despite the overwhelming numbers of the Kolditz, the trolls are confident and spoiling for a fight.

"Looks dere Rattor! Ugley pointy earses serve us dinnar! Letses eat boys!"

Rattor, the troll chieftain laughs. "Plays first! Disses gonna be fun!"

Spoiler
    Show

Kolditz warband
    (1d6)[4]

vs

Bark Trolls

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[2]

The animated statues of the Unceasing Vigil advance to the west. In the forest, they encounter aggressive monkey-like tree-dwelling creatures with razor-sharp claws and teeth.

Spoiler
    Show

Ageless Sentinels
    (1d6)[6]
    +1 shock tactics

vs

Forest Creepers

Skeletal knights of the Legion of Blight ride to the north. They encounter a band of forest gnomes, whom they dispatch with relative ease.

Spoiler
    Show

Skeleton Cavalry
    (1d6+2)[7]

vs

Forest Gnome Slingers

The demons invade the marshes to the east of the Burning Plains. A group of Will o' Wisps attacks the Marids.

Spoiler
    Show

Marids
    (1d6+2)[8]

vs

Will o' Wisps

12. - Top - End - #12

Chryses walked beneath the dappled shade provided by the forests canopy, occasionally moving a thick branch out of the way of his colossal form. He stood impassively, surveying the slaughter. Around him were the strewn corpses of the strange forest-dwelling creatures that opposed the relentless march of his soldiers.

"It is sad that these creatures stood in the way of our righteous Mission. Still, they were mindless beasts. Of no great consequence.

Usha strode behind the massive statue of Chryses, her gilt surface glittering in the irregular light. She looked saddened. Abruptly, she spoke, placing her hand on Chryses' shoulder. Her voice is melodious and tinkling, despite her form.

"Is it worth it, Chryses?"

Chryses stopped, not turning to his lover.

"Is it... Worth it? Whatever do you mean, Usha?"

"You know what I mean. The eye. I've talked to the scouts, I know what we're facing. This war could easily be our undoing. We... We were so happy before, Chryses."

There was a pause, before Chryses spoke out in a thunderously firm tone.

"The Eye must be protected. The Balance must be maintained! At all costs! At all costs!"

"We died long ago, Chryses. This isn't our war any more. I knew you before we lost our lives! Before the Eye! I knew you before you changed, Chryses! I knew you before you gave up your heart for duty! Remember yourself Chryses! Remember!"

Chryses slowly removed Usha's hand from his shoulder, speaking impassively.

"I am Duty."

Striding through the tall trees, already ordering troops to dig up and put the old temple near the center of the forest in working order, Chryses left Usha alone beneath the canopy. For a single moment, a tear gleamed in the dappled sunlight, brighter than Usha's golden form ever would.

For a single moment.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

13. - Top - End - #13

Round 1 battles, Part II (faction vs faction)

The Kolditz fought well and the trolls were routed. But their joy is short-lived. Asur skirmishers attack the Kolditz camp!

Spoiler
    Show

Asur Shadow Warriors
    (1d6+2)[3]
    +1 skirmisher tactics

vs

Kolditz Warband
    (1d6)[5]

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

When undead riders are finishing off the last forest gnomes, the Native Defence Force veteran cavalry attacks their flank!

Spoiler
    Show

NDF Veteran Cavalry
    (1d6+2)[6]

vs

Skeleton Cavalry
    (1d6+2)[4]

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[2]

Freeport, Captain Norris' Office

"Come in, Will. What of the Druchii?"

"No sign of Duruchey progress in the north, cap'. It appears as though the cowardly elfs have not sent out any units, sir."

"This is good news, Will. Dismissed!"

Just as Will was leaving the captain's office, the men heard a loud crash coming from the direction of the harbor. Soon after the loud sound, they heard cries of anguish and... sounds of battle!

"ALARM! ALARM!"

Spoiler
    Show

Drugged mob of slaves
    (1d6)[3]
    +1 shock tactics
    +1 naval tactics

vs

Native Defense Force regulars
    (1d6)[6]

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

14. - Top - End - #14

End of round 1! Posting income/upkeep reports later today!

Map updated! (See my sig)

The Unending Horde, the Storm Templars, the Unceasing Vigil, the Golem Host and the Native Defense Force, please name the territories you have conquered.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2008-12-08 at 05:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Name of Conquered Territory: Haland Swamps

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #16

Round 2 begins! (and ends on Wednesday at 11:59 pm EST)

Rolling initiative for Round 2

The Unceasing Vigil
    (1d1000)[602]
    The Storm Templars
    (1d1000)[829]
    The Legion of Blight
    (1d1000)[562]
    Druchii Exiles
    (1d1000)[855]
    Native Defense Force
    (1d1000)[260]
    Asur Colonial Expedition
    (1d1000)[943]
    The Unending Horde
    (1d1000)[572]
    The Golem Host
    (1d1000)[489]

The faction with the smallest number is first in the initiative order, and the one with the biggest number goes last. The initiative order only determines in which order the actions are resolved. You may post your action reports in any order.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2008-12-08 at 08:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Ingon opened his eyes slowly, in what was probably the worst awakening of his life - he looked right into the face of a red-skinned monster. It grinned, showing rows of fangs. "Vell, vatdohyu know - de elfboy's avake! Goot mornink, elfboy! Hyu feel like talkink to zum Kolditz?"

Ingon looked beyond the monster - Kolditz? - into a camp of the beasts. They were multi-colored beasts, like elves turned into monsters. Their clothing and armor were mismatched and chaotic like themselves, their weaponry varied and multifold. Their apparent leader got up, his long blue coat covering a breastplate and chainmail and several scimitars, multiple knives and a handaxe. He knew that much - he had tried to attack that beast himself when they ambushed the thirty beasts. "Goot mornink, elfboy - vell, it vill be a goot mornink if hyu ansver our qvestions. Do hyu know vat ve are?" Ingon listened in horror to the words that came springing out of his mouth, "You're monsters!" Instead of killing him, the monster chuckled. "No, elfboy, ve're Kolditz. Ve serff de family Kaiya, und hyu got in our vay. However, ve decided ve'll be nize to hyu. Koll! Get over here!"

Another of the creatures came over, quite normal but for the blue hair and the tattoo of a wing across his face. Dis here iz Koll - he'll be escortink hyu und de odder prisoners to verever hyu kame from vith a fev odder Kolditz. Ve iz aktually nize if hyu don' katch us in a fightink mood, elfboy. But before hyu go, Hy em tinkink Hy vill educate hyu on de ill... iluus... on de nize history uf de family Kaiya. Hyu listenink up vell, elfboy?"

The Asur Camp

Yenes saw them first - the remains of the shadow warriors, chained together and led by four monstrous creatures. Yenes raised his bow, ready to shoot the beasts down. Then his arm was grabbed and forced down.
    "Hy vouldn' do dat if Hy vere hyu, elfscout. Dey hain't gunna herm hyu. Chust a friendly visit, elfscout."
    It grinned at him. How in the Vala had it gotten so close without him noticing or even hearing? As if hearing Yenes's thoughts, it grinned wider.
    "So, hyu gunna open de gates so ve kan kome inside und schpeak hall friendly-like?"

New Territory

Hear ye! Hear ye! The family Kaiya has conquered the forests to the south, named the Kreshzell forests in honor of the Kolditz band that defended it!
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-08 at 08:54 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

M'lord, our scout forces were wiped out to the west.

Really? Peculiar. We had every advantage.

Shall we send a rescue party?

No, we can't afford risking war over those that can't succeed, even given such a lead on the enemy. We'll simply have to make due with what we have.

My lord, we can't just leave them in the hands of those brutes.

Send a diplomat if you must. However, I do suspect that it won't lead to anything overly constructive.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

19. - Top - End - #19

The Kolditz find another bark troll in the Kreshzell forest. Its hands and mouth are covered in a red, sticky liquid. When the Kolditz draw their weapons and prepare to kill it, it just waves one of its hands and extends the other, offering the warriors a big handful or red berries known as lingonberries.

"They be sour but good! Huh, youse killed Rattor? Bad, bad troll dat Rattor. But Wullek has no-one to talk to no more. All trolls ded or fled."

Meanwhile, in the southern part of the island...

The NDF, The Unceasing Vigil and the Golem Host each receive a message written on a large sheet of bark. The messenger, a harmless looking dwarf wearing gray clothes, a long red hat and iron boots appears to be mute. The messages are identical:

"KEEP YER SCRAWNY ARSES OOT OF OOR TURF, AYE? A REGIMENT OF DWARFS WIL BE MOOR THAN HAPPY TO KICK YER ARSES IF YE COME CLOSER TO OOR IRONSPIKE HILLS. WILFUR OF THE RED CAPS."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The Archlich watched the battle to the north from his tower using his unnatural arcane sight.

"Excellent."

The Gnomes proved only a minor nuisance. This news would please Duke Terrington's master, surely. But then...what was that advancing rapidly from the west?

Soon the Archlich was forced to watch as his troops were outmaneuvered by the grizzled veterans of the island. His eyes glowed with a dark red fire that grew brighter and brighter. And then slowly they subsided.

"So be it."
    Terrington entered his chambers where his favored servitors were waiting. Taking a hold of his dark staff, he began to give them instructions.

"It is time. Let us hope that we can regain our lord's favor before he banishes us all back to the dust that we came from. You have your instructions."
    With a nod, the decaying husks shuffled out of the room, leaving the Archlich to reflect on the path ahead of him.

21. - Top - End - #21

Oliver stands atop his tower, holding a large staff with a gear on it.

As Planned. The swamp is now ours.

Oliver holds a small, handheld golem. It has a small heli blade. He lets it fly in the air, and swiftly plummets to the ground, 50 feet below.

I think I'll call the swamps The Swamps of Kairin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The lonely emissary moved rather tentatively towards the massive Castle Kaiya. He fully expected that he would be eaten by a horrid monster with a terrible accent, but he strengthened his resolve and moved forward.

"Lord of the castle, I come to ask that you release the prisoners you have taken into your holding back to their home nation of Ulthuan."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

What word from the ships?"

Tallis Duanthmoor addressed the only two amongst his band he trusted, his mistress and his son. Serafima was calm, as usual. She seemed to have taken well to the new land. Seraf was a sickly sort... born with no color to her and a tendency to take ill. Amon was made of stronger stuff, like his father. His attack on the coast had gone well... and the Druchii now had a stronghold to expand from.

The coastal lands are now entirely ours, father. He spoke with pride, All that lived have been added to our slave pens, and we are expanding our soldiers to dry land.

Keep some aboard the ships, in case we have need of them. Rotate them if you must.

We do have poor news from the vessel we sent to the south. Serafima spoke with an even tone. A simple scouting ship, filled mostly with slaves. It has not returned.

Bah! What is the loss of a few hundred slaves? They are but animals to be butchered as I choose. Tallis scoffed. We shall remember that there is some force to the south of enough merit to defeat a ship's worth of fodder, and no more thought need be given to it.

As you wish, my love. Seraf said with a slight smirk across pale lips.

For the moment, we expand. Amon, send several of your riders out. Find out who the other would be lords of this land are. I have missives to send.

We have never sent word to anyone father. What means this? Some offer of peace? Amon said in confusion.

That seems... unlike you.

I wish to know my foes, that is all. And there is one in particular that I seek. Do not question me on it further. The warlord said sternly, leaving no room for further discussion.

Very well then. So to where do we go now? The forests to the east of us seem a fair place to begin our expansion.

That will do. We begin our expansion there. Take any you find and add them to the pens. I want the forges burning without end. I WILL make a force to be feared of these rabble!
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

24. - Top - End - #24

The Combat Phase begins!

Round 2 battles, Part I (attacks vs neutral territories)

The NDF moves swiftly to the north, to claim the wetland near the territory of the foul Druchii. They encounter a young fen hydra (only six heads). The infantry and cavalry work together and kill the beast.

Spoiler
    Show

NDF infantry
    (1d6)[1]
    NDF cavalry
    (1d6+2)[4]
    +1 cavalry tactics

vs

Fen Hydra
    Combat value: 2

The Golem Host attacks the Ironspike Hills where the dwarves known as Red Caps live. The dwarves have prepared for such an assault and they make the golems pay for every yard they advance. But there's no regiment defending the hills like their leader boasted, just about 60 dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show

Mech Golems
    (1d6+2)[6]

vs

Red Caps
    +1 terrain

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[2]

The Unceasing Vigil sends a unit to the hills northwest of the Blooded Lands. A large group of gargoyles defends the territory. They drop rocks on the animated statues before engaging in melee.

Spoiler
    Show

Ageless Sentinels
    (1d6)[5]
    +1 shock tactics
    discipline (auto-win if tie)

vs

Gargoyles
    +1 terrain

The Storm Templars attack the hills to the southwest of Castle Kaiya. An enormous dark-skinned creature that looks like a cross between an earth elemental and a giant charges the Kolditz ranks fearlessly.

Spoiler
    Show

Kolditz Warband
    (1d6)[4]

vs

Obsidianus
    +1 terrain

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

The Druchii advance to the east. In the forest, they encounter a group of creatures that look a bit like centaurs, only they're completely black and eyeless, and they have numerous gaping maws all over their bodies, filled with needle-like teeth. Instead of hands their arms end in long tentacles with which they lash out, strangle, and drag their victims closer for the maws to eat.

Spoiler
    Show

Slave mob
    (1d6)[5]
    +1 shock tactics

vs

Malechauns

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

The Asur elves send a unit to the south to claim the swampy territory. A coven of medusa witches - three sisters - guards the area. The youngest of them, a pretty little teenage medusa fights the Asur with poisonous, snake-like arrows she shoots from a bow that similarly resembles living snakes. The middle sibling - more clearly a monster than her little sister - fights the Asur with horrible spells and twin blades. The eldest sister, an ugly, writhing mass of snakes, just walks around the battlefield naked and enjoys the screams of the Asur when they turn to stone at her sight.

Spoiler
    Show

Asur citizen levy
    (1d6)[6]
    +1 skirmisher tactics

vs

Medusae

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[1]

25. - Top - End - #25

Round 2 battles, Part II (faction vs faction)

The Golem Host attacks the Sorrowlands, the capital of the undead known as the Legion of Blight...

Spoiler
    Show

...But their city is empty.

Where have they gone? See the next spoiler!

Spoiler
    Show

The undead attack the Homehold Forrest!

Zombie infantry
    (1d6)[1]
    Skeleton cavalry
    (1d6+2)[6]
    +1 cavalry tactics

vs

Free Company
    (1d6)[5]
    Veteran Cavalry
    (1d6+2)[5]
    +1 cavalry tactics

Tie breaker
    (1d2)[2]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

"Our forces are proving inadequate, my lord. The native people fight with skill and valor, and they have some kind of fire within their souls that drives them to persevere. I fear we--"

The man who called himself The Reaper listened to his commander's report from a faraway cottage on a mountain. Anyone who might have been walking by this remote location wouldn't have noticed anything unusual about the building. It appeared to be perfectly normal.

"--we cannot win. Curses, they've broken through...their cavalry are charging, I can see--"

Suddenly the man's connection with the Archlich's thoughts was severed. The Reaper sighed heavily and remained motionless for awhile. Then with a start he sat up and ran outside.

There, next to the cottage were two gravestones. One was marked "Ophelia - Loving Wife," while the other was marked "Lenaris - Beloved Daughter." The man fell before the graves and started to sob and scream and pound his fist into the earth all at the same time. After the man had run out of energy he finally spoke.

"I couldn't save you...I couldn't bring you back..."
    Dejected, the man arose and started to walk back inside. Then he stopped to look at the peak of the mountain. He stood there for some time, lost in thought. And then a sinister gleam sparked in his eyes.

"No...this isn't over yet. There are other artifacts in the world...other tomes of lore...more fonts of power...no, this is only the beginning."
    Black lightning suddenly erupted from his hands as he violently gestured toward the mountain's peak. It hit the top, sending a great explosion of rock and debris flying in all directions.

When the dust settled, a menacing figure remained. It was a gigantic creature that was once a dragon, but had been transformed by the man's dark energies into the Dracolich. In a bellowing, evil voice the creature spoke.

"I await your orders, my master."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eagerly awaiting the next game, if there is one! Good luck everybody!

27. - Top - End - #27

End of round 2! Income/upkeep reports sent!

Map updated! (See my sig)

Please name the territories you have conquered. Note that only nameless territories can be named.

Round 3 begins! (and ends on Saturday at 11:59 pm EST)

Rolling initiative for Round 3

The Unceasing Vigil
    (1d1000)[445]
    The Storm Templars
    (1d1000)[104]
    Druchii Exiles
    (1d1000)[210]
    Native Defense Force
    (1d1000)[808]
    Asur Colonial Expedition
    (1d1000)[182]
    The Unending Horde
    (1d1000)[170]
    The Golem Host
    (1d1000)[689]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kreshzell Forests

The Kolditz quickly befriend the troll. First in war, first in brew - they introduce the trolls to the concept of very strong drink and allow him to join the group.

Castle Kaiya

The administrator who meets the Asur emissary frowned, flipping through his notes. "Interesting. The Kolditz mentioned taking prisoners, but also mentioned that they sent an escort to return them to their people. Either they ran into something they couldn't handle - very rare for the Kolditz - or they have already been returned to you."

High Elf Camp

Some...thing bursts into the tent of the Captain in charge of the camp. "Hey, elfboy! Hyu iz vantink hyu varriors back? Dey is a bit battered, but but oddervise iz fine."

Hear ye! Hear ye!

The new territory of the Storm Templars shall be named The Gateway Hills.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-10 at 06:53 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

I guess the Legion of Blight was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Oliver sends out three golems with orders.

30. - Top - End - #30

Chryses grunted as he wrenched the head off of the last gargoyle with a deafening crack of stone.

"Damned anima... Shoddy, mindless imitations!"

He hurled the body onto a nearby rock outcropping, where it shattered into dust.

"We have been passive too long! Look at the filth that has infested this land! We should have been fortifying, expanding, long before now. And now everything is in jeopardy! At every turn the unworthy seek to steal what we were created to protect! Oh, Preya give me strength..."

He turned to a messenger, his towering form dwarfing the comparatively tiny statue.

"We fortify. Should any of the unworthy attempt to take the Eye... They seal their doom."

His eyes shining, Chryses looked to the rising sun, its glow bathing him in light.

"I shall name this place... The Hills of Resolution."

The messenger said nothing, flying away to deliver his masters message.

Chryses was not his master.