New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Whispering Cairn [Group Two]

You all have frequented the local pub, The Lazy Dog, so much that you have gotten to know each other. Not enough to consider each other the best of friends, but enough for a mutual respect to grow. Whilst shooting the breeze, and getting completely tanked, you have come to realize that there is one thing that keeps you all together; your hatred for Diamond Lake. One night, in the middle of a game of darts, a crazy idea floated to your heads; you remember about the Whispering Cairn, that place of childhood stories, and about how no one has ever explored it. Maybe, just maybe, there could be treasure in that place. Just maybe, there could be enough treasure to get you out of here. You stumbled home that night, thinking it a crazy pipe dream that could never come true. But the idea stuck with you, stuck in your head and bothered you, to the point where you all finally decided that maybe you should give it a shot. And so you prepared. You gathered gear and sharpened weapons; and you made sure that you would be ready for whatever was down there.

And so we open, sitting in The Lazy Dog this last night, but not drinking. You are ready to move out at the first possible opportunity.
    You know, just as soon as Pall gets off work.

((You can do introductions now, I figured that I would leave specific reasons for joining this little brigade up to you guys. You get to decide how you feel about the other party members. The first thing I would like you to do is describe yourselves physically, and then a little about your personality. This is as much for each others benefit as it is for mine. Assume you have just walked into the tavern to meet everyone.

A few playing rules:
    Character name in bold at the start of each post, for ease of reference.
    Speech in colour.
    Thoughts in Italics
    ((OOC in double brackets; this includes things such as dice rolls))
    Everything else in plain text.

After that, have fun!))

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Whispering Cairn [Group Two]

Jat "Steelhand" Fenebaer

Jat is a whisper gnome standing 3'3" and a slender, though muscular, 34 pounds. His hair is dark brown, his eyes are an unremarkable dull blue, and his skin tone goes from a light gray to a light green (though it is difficult to notice variations between the two). His armor is a type of scale that is made of leather (thus, leather scale).

There is a dark stormcloud that follows Jat, and while not unfriendly, he is far from personable . . . very far. He was an orphan that spent time on the streets, raised in a monastery studying internal weapons disciplines, and then was given employment as a bouncer here at the Lazy Dog. None of these events helped his interpersonal skills save being a bouncer - which itself only increased his ability to adopt a particularly menacing attitude (which at times is more comical than effective due to his small size).

He carries a spiked chain and a dagger, and beyond his armor and a pouch and some peasant clothing, he has but 5 gp to his name. The reason he never left this genetically linear abyss is that he never had the money saved to be able to get good equipment, his lack of social skills and small size never got him hired by the few good merchant caravans coming through, and he doesn't have a lick of knowledge of how to survive outside of a town.

He has learned to use his superior speed as his best weapon, not only for striking quickly and accurately . . . but hard! While a "martial artist" only in regards to his various weapons practices and not unarmed, still unarmed he is a furious brawler. His "signature bouncer" move is calling attention to himself, and when a drunken buffoon charges him, he is able to apparently "throw" the assailant a respectable distance - usually out the door.

He has a chip on his shoulder where giants (and those who use their size to intimidate others) are concerned. It seems it was ogres that killed his parents when he was just a pebble. Now, he is bending all of his will into taking the skills he learned at the Diamond Lake monastery to adapt them to fighting larger opponents.

Still, despite his darker nature he is quite calm, and surprisingly compassionate. Like a prickly pear, on the outside he is tough and seemingly unapproachable but on the inside he is soft and gooey.

So, anyone here good at getting along in the wilderness? I mean, we all frequent the Lazy Dog - or in my case worked here - so I don't reckon that we are doing well for equipment and provisions, are we?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Aulie

"Wait for me WAIT FOR ME!"

A skinny, dirty little Rhennee waif dashes into the Lazy Dog, looking around frantically for any sign of the party. She seems to relax when she spots Jat Fenebaer.

"Oh. That's a relief. I had heard on the morning breeze you had already gone. But breezes lie so. They're nearly as bad as sudden gusts."

She seems to have no excess fat anywhere on her body, all stringy muscle and tough bone. Her is long and in good need of a barber's touch, and it's difficult to tell what colour it is underneath the dirt, fragments of leaves, and a small twig she seems not to have noticed. She has beautiful, expressive eyes, and doesn't seem to have picked up any diseases from her life on the street, and could be very pretty if she ever took a bath or washed.

She's wearing light armor, a reinforced leather "jack" and a skirt of metal strips, which appears to be brand new, in contrast with her own appearance and that of the dirty leather sack she carries with her. Likewise for the polished spear she's holding, and the way she fidgets about in those nice leather boots suggests that they're new, too, and havn't become comfortably broken in yet.

She is whispered to have a healers touch, though she certainly doesn't look like a priest, and it's hard to believe she has any divine power. A lot of the other beggers avoid her, though, whispering that she's a witch, or simply crazy.

"The dust that made me sneeze yesterday said you're all going to the Cairn, and that I should come with you. This is exciting, isn't it? Ive never been inside it before."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Pall

Ol' Pall dumps out another beer left undrunk by one of the patrons.

He's dressed like he always is. Shirt, jacket, pants. Hell, he -looks- like he always does. Same old white hair, same old white beard and mustache, same old wrinkly eyes (not white...more of a brown) so well known for being able to take anyone in at a glance.

And there's nobody in the room that doubts the existence of the same old crossbow he keeps loaded and drawn under the same old bar, likely with the same old crossbow bolt he used to nail that drunken and extremely belligerent soldier's hand to the wall. Pall keeps a clean house. And that's what you get when you dirty up Pall's clean house. You get crossbow.
    Its an old favorite, which is like an old reliable, except with less cliche. He even mentioned he'll be bringing it with him when they go to the Cairn.

But yes. Pall dumps out another beer left undrunk by one of the patrons.

He does this unceremoniously, indifferently, and about three other adjectives that most people would use to describe Pall even when he's not dumping out beers.

To the gnome he says,
    "Had a week or two of surviving out in the woods when I was drawing steel for the Auburst Daywatch. Hegh. All you really need is water when-"

But he's cut off when Aulie comes scrambling in.

"Whoa hey, slow down, will you? You break anything and I'll- mmrg." he holds back the half-hearted upbraiding, something he seems ready to also do only half-heartedly until he hears the excitable girl talk about how she's going to the Cairn.

"Uh! Nuh-uh. You better think about that again, young missy, because no, you're not."
    "The universe was so ashamed you slept late, its shrivelling into a raisin."
    "Is that why the ceiling is so low?"
    "Yes."

5. - Top - End - #5

"And why not, Pall?" Jat says, coming to Aulie's defense. "You've heard the stories that she is blessed by some sort of spirit-thing. Could be useful, and DON'T give me that 'She might get killed' nonsense. What do you think is happening to her, day-by-day, as she languishes in the sewers and ekes out a living (the gods only know how)." At that last phrase, he looks curiously at the new armor, polished spear, and boots with which Aulie - one of the Lazy Dog's "adopted waifs" is newly outfitted.

"No, Pall, we need her. I can do in close quarters what you can't. You can do with a ranged weapon what I can't. And with Aulie around," he looks at her and smiles, "what need do we have to fear the road . . . when she blends so well with it?"

"Here, Aulie," have some ale, "it's not that bitter, but that . . . and the human-size meal I've been given as 'severance pay' is more than I need. If you are going to die in the wilderness, I want to know I didn't let you die of malnutrition."

At that, Jat - who gets free drinks (within reason) for his last day on the job - orders up for Aulie, and lets her take the rest of his meal.

Jat turns back to Pall, "So, old friend. It's done then? You've sold the Dog to some other poor bastard who will likely have as much trouble with it as you? Rumor is that what little 'profit' you made from the sale went to some four different women all with a combined seven children. Two of them womenfolk live outta' town."

Jat takes a sip of his ale. "Care to comment? No, wait, I don't want to know. But you're ready to go, then? Or, are you finishing out the day for nostalgia's sake?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Bildrath

Bildrath pushes the door open and stomps in. He glances around until he spots Jat, Aulie and Pall talking together and moves over to them.

The dwarf is fairly tall, four and a half feet, and heavily built. His hair, both on his head and his beard, is long, copper coloured and carefully bound up in fancy braids. He has simple animal hide armour and a wooden shield, both embossed with a twisting copper coloured dragon.

He's new in town, having left the mines where his family lived for decades. It didn't take long for him to tire of the area and he quickly agreed to come with everyone when they announced plans to leave and explore the Cairn. He's reliable and solid, but a little slow, and leaves important decisions to others.

"I'm ready. When d'we plan to leave?"
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Chaths Khalid
    Chaths is the youngest of a group of elven nomads who stopped in Diamond Lake, and for whatever reason, never left. He has spent many years in the town, but it's easy to recognize that he has hated every minute of it. Trained in the magical arts, Chaths has a very limited repitiore of spells. Whatever spells he does have, he does not practice in the public eye, but those who may have caught a glympse realize it is something the local churchs would be more than happy to stamp out.

Chaths, stands at about 6'0", with an average build for his race. He has pale skin which is only matched by his grey hair and eyes. He wears a simple jaket overtop of a suit of leather armour. In his hand he carries a large piece of wood, a branch from some anciet tree, which is adorned with the skulls and bones of small animals.

So a party seeking to leave this hell hole. You honestly don't look like much. At anyrate, i hope the talents of a...umm...spellcaster can be of use to you.
    Last edited by Dr. John Dee; 2008-12-10 at 01:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Jat seems uncomfortable with the elf, but nonetheless replies, "Well, we are a finely balanced mix of the major races, at least. Bildrath, are you a warrior like myself? You look like you'd be good in a scrape, and Ol' Pall there is good with a crossbow, I with a chain among other weapons. Aulie here is reputed to be touched by some sort of divine gifts, and you, Chaths would fit the bill as an arcane caster. Seems like we are very well rounded."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2008-12-10 at 10:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Maxwell Adams

Maxwell taps his foot nervously on the floor.

Perhaps I should just find another party. This one seems full of very intimating people already.

He's a tall lanky guy. His brown eyes, messy black hair and tattered clothes makes him no different from the average guy. On his back there's a simple bow that looks exactly like the one stolen from the local blacksmith last week but no one is going to say anything about it. He's finally following his uncle's advice to search for his own adventure if only he could gather up the courage.

He shifts his leg uneasily.

But what if they succeed and take the treasure from Whispering Cairn, where will I find adventure then?

He searches in his bag for a copper piece.

Heads I go, Tails I stay.

Say gentlemen, I can't help but overhear that your group is planning a visit to the Cairn. If your party isn't too full, I'd fancy a trip there also.
    Last edited by Secret8znMan; 2008-12-10 at 02:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information check to see if I know him from overhearing things in the bar ... (1d20-2)[14]

Jat, already having heard a (very little) about Mr. Adams looks at the bow. As a trained warrior with a keen eye for detail, he recognizes that while this man could use that bow, his lanky frame and large hands would tend to overgrip the bow.

Jat, figures one of two things:
    1) Max took the bow off of a fallen enemy, proving his competence, or
    2) Max stole the bow from someone else, proving his necessary worth to this party.

Jat smiles broadly (which, considering he is not very attractive or friendly, may turn out to be a leer), "Mr. Adams, you're perfect for a position I was worried we would be without!" "Welcome to the party. Any objections? No? Good. Well, I am ready if everyone else is ..."

[Xanadu, anyone else?]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2008-12-10 at 02:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Aulie

Aulie smiles at Jat.

"You're nice! I like you!"

She hops up onto the stool and kneels there, like some kind of bird, picking at the parts of Jat's meal. At first she makes to snatch up the food with her dirty fingers, but in difference to being in company, she uses a knife and fork, though with a little uncertainty, as if it's been a long while since she's done so.

"You're nice, too, Pall. I know you'll protect us. Crossbow bolt flies faster then lying wind flies, pierces the air! But I have to go. I think it has to happen this way or... it won't work. Something bad will happen. And you need someone who can close wounds up, like I can. And if there is treasure in the cairn, well... we can all leave here, can't we? If it's enough? I don't like this place. Not even the dirt is as good as it could be. Everyone is bitter and angry. Nothing wants to be here. And... and Im ready. I can fight Im strong, and I can take care of myself."

She takes a large swig of Jat's ale, and spins a little, nearly falling off her chair.

12. - Top - End - #12

SolithKnightGuy

Bildrath

The dwarf shrugs at Jat's question. "I'm not a really strong warrior myself. I'm better at helpin' others out." He closes his eyes for a second and everyone nearby feels an aura of power form around him. He maintains it for a second, then relaxes and it fades away. "I can put up several auras. One increases hittin' strength, one heals if your badly wounded, and one hurts people who hits you. It works on anyone near me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

13. - Top - End - #13

"Ooooh," says Jat, "tingly! Alright, battlefield enhancement right there!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

((That is all six . . . leave when you feel it necessary.))
    ((Now, for the results of a Gather Information . . .))

Listening around the bar, Jat comes across three Humans sitting in a corner booth. The first is a muscular man, who keeps a greatsword nearby and is dressed in a suit of armour. The second is a man in deep navy robes, with a small black beard. The third is a woman, small and lean, with daggers on each of her hips. They talk in normal voices, and are easily overheard.
    So it is settled, then. Says the first man, We head out tonight, and we explore the cairn. We'll head out as soon as possible. As he finishes this, his comrades nod and mumble a few comments, while he orders another round. To riches! He says loudly; his friends answer back and they take a hearty plunge into their ale.

15. - Top - End - #15

Sense Motive check, in case I read something other than the obvious ...
    (1d20+6)[25]

[Wow! Any special hunches concerning these guys, Xanadu?]

Jat returns to his comrades and tells him what he heard.

Afterwards, he says to them, "Listen, we could probably use their help, no doubt ... but these guys strike me a little funny. I am thinking that they aren't going to be too happy about splitting any treasure nine ways over three, even if we would be more capable. I suggest we move out now, and if we meet them on the road (as we likely will) then we try to work together. I think if we try to mention ourselves in the bar here and are refused, they will be even more angry when they find us on the trail after dismissing us. I say we roll out right now."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2008-12-10 at 02:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

SolithKnightGuy

Bildrath

The dwarf shrugs again at Jat's suggestion. "If you insist. I'm ready."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Maxwell

Maxwell starts tapping his fingers on the table. Trying really hard to think amidst all the noise in the bar.

He starts saying something in a quiet tone as though he's hesitating to speak and nervous at the same time.

If their goal and ours are the same we're bound to run into them eventually. In that case we might have some trouble on our hands. Of course I agree with you, Gnome, that it is not in our best interest to be noticed.

Hmm....

My uncle once told me of a spell once, Detect Magic if I recall correctly. If our spellcaster has it prepared today conveniently perhaps we can determine the amount of magic items they possess. I believe that would be a good gauge of that party's experience and it's some scouting we can do that would be hard to detect...

Never mind, that was a stupid idea... ignore what I just said.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Chaths
    Chaths glances at the other party.

Hmmm. Some others who think they can stop me from leaving this town. Only one solution comes to mind

Maxwell, I didn't know rats could reason. At any rate, it would be a good gauge of their experience. Careful planning could make this worth our while. Give me a minute, then we leave.

Chaths, using an art rarely seen practiced in town, recites an arcane phrase, makes a simple hand gesture, and focuses on the other group.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

((Sense Motive does not detect anything special about what he is saying; he is not lying or insinuating something, he merely plans on heading to the cairn, as he said.))

Giving them a cursory glance, they do not appear to have any magic items on them.

However, while in the midst of casting the spell, the man in the robes takes a partial glance around, and notices Chaths in the midst of his spell. He concentrates on the gesture for a second before turning back to his friends and whispers something. The larger man takes a glance in Chaths' direction, takes a swig of his ale, stands up, and walks to where you are.

What exactly do you think you are doing? My comrade over here tells me you are casting spells in our direction. I would like to know why!

His friends have also risen and are standing behind them. One thing to note, though, is that the apparent leader has left his greatsword at the table behind him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I appologize dearly if you have taken offense to my simple casting. My comrades and I are facinated by the notion of adventurers. We've heard stories about many of your proffession carrrying magical objects, and, while I'll admit it probably wasn't the best way, all I was trying to do was verify if this rumor was true.

Damn Maxwell.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Maxwell

*Glup*

He mutters something quite quietly.

Sorry...

Oh dear, oh dear indeed. I should not have said anything to begin with. Maybe I can slip away before anyone noticed me and start yelling at me again.

He avoids eye contact with the three intimidating people and moves carefully not to attract attention.

I should get a drink, a drink always help calm my nerves... how did they even see the elf cast the spell anyways, they were in a corner booth... I guess they must have used some sort of spell to see through walls or something.
    Last edited by Secret8znMan; 2008-12-11 at 12:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

The man sizes Chaths up and down, before finally extending his hand for a handshake.
    I see . . . well, you know, there is the option where you always could come talk to us. My name is Auric, and these are my friends Khellek and Tirra, and we are indeed adventurers. Why is it, may I ask, that you are interested?

((See through walls? This place is that fancy that people get private booths?
    He made his spot check, so I think it is only fair that it be noticed. The other two failed miserably, if that makes you feel better!))
    Last edited by Xanadu; 2008-12-11 at 07:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

[Xan, can you please post the link for the OOC thread? I can't find it here at work, and at work (again) I am unable to view private messages. Thanks.]
    Can't delete this message, but it is unnecessary now.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2008-12-11 at 02:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Chaths

Chaths shakes the mans hand.

I'm glad to meet you, and as I said before, I'm sorry about that. I should have come and asked, but I didn't want to bother you. As for why we're interested. My comrades and I have always wanted to leave this small town, it's no place for people like us. As we see it, the best way for us to leave this place is to leave as adventurers.

Actually, do any of you speak any other languages? Common isn't my native tongue, and I would rather continue ion another one.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

No, I do no-- Auric begins, as Khellek steps up and interrupts him.

((Open if you speak Elven))

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume elven, would be more your fare, would it not? What is it you want, Elf? Why cast detect magic on us, instead of asking us questions? As well . . . what is your name?

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

Bildrath

The dwarf doesn't move foward at all. In fact, he barely glances at Khellek when he jumps forward. But the air around the group suddenly changes, and he carefully places one hand on his weapon. Everyone's skin itches slightly.

OOC: changing to Energy Shield aura. Anyone who attacks a party member takes 2 points of acid damage. Not likely I know, but Bildrath doesn't understand Khellek and isn't willing to take chances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

27. - Top - End - #27

Jat, feeling uncomfortable with the two folk speaking a foreign tongue, and feeling strangely tingly (he doesn't know Bildrath is running his aura), feels out of sorts and does what he does fairly well . . . stay out of the way, let the talkers talk, and keep his eyes and ears open for trouble.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Maxwell

Maxwell reaches the bar and takes a seat. He asks the person behind the bar.

Excuse me bartender, if it is not too out of your way, may I please have a pint of your finest ale.

He thinks to himself for a bit.

He whispers:

Hey, if you may be so kind, can you please tell me a little about those three adventurers over yonder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information to see if the bartender will divulge any information about the adventurers. (1D20+2)[9]
    Last edited by Secret8znMan; 2008-12-12 at 04:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Chaths

((In elven))

Spoiler
    Show
    My name is Chaths Khalid. I believe I've already explained why I cast detect magic. I was simply trying to find out if you were carrying any magical items. Again, it probably wasn't the best way, but I didn't want to be a bother, and I didn't think you would notice.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

((Elven))

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Chaths, I mean to say . . . are you sizing us up for something? Planning on robbing us as we leave? Maybe scam us out of our goods with a trick later on? What is it you are planning?

((Gather Info))

Well, I don't really know much . . . Seem to have forgotten much of it actually . . . Hmm, I wonder what could help me remember . . . As he says this, he non-chalantly puts his hand down on the bar, palm up, clearly expecting something.