New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Evolution 6.6 - The World

Ark, turn 2.0-2.5, The Roggae

A bright halo appears near a wandering group of Roggae. Something is falling from the sky! A black spot in the blue sky, growing bigger, bigger and bigger. It looks like a big rock, and it's coming really quickly. It lands a few feet away from the Roggae, but it doesn't destroy the Earth or lands in a fashion the Roggae have seen thrown or falling rocks. It slows down, then stops entirely, hovering over the ground, bits and pieces of rock floating around it, blue sparks periodically lashing out of it.

And as suddenly as it appeared, it spoke, keeping its distance to avoid scaring the group away.

"Hello. I am Ark. You?"

The thing didn't seem to have a mouth, or eyes. But the speech went through to the Roggae clearly enough. It hovered rather silently, a gentle hum in the air.

"I have things to teach you."

The eggatar suddenly starts moving sideways towards a nearby tree. It reaches upwards and snaps several branches off the tree, peeling them. It ties them together and "hangs it", or rather holds it above its head to show his point.

"I am a friendly spirit. I teach shelter, I help you."

With that the egg starts glowing brightly, as if pleased with itself.
    A Revenant

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roggae

Southern Herd

The Roggae had never seen such a thing before. Branch which tied themselves together ? What about walking trees and Rogga-eating bushes ? This place didn't seem a good one to settle. The Roggae were curious and courageous but not to the point of endangering their children.

In their primitive mind, they couldn't link "Ark" to the miracle until they saw the branch hovering above the giant egg. It didn't took long for one of them to "understand" :
    "-Ark is Wood !! Wood speak !! Wood give food !! Wood give egg !!"
    The Roggae weren't carnivore but when they outrooted a tree, it was customary to raid the fallen nests. And eggs were among the tastiest meals after fruits.

But what was "Ark" exactly ? A dead tree ? the last matriarch use to tell that the ancestors were watching over their descendents. If it was true for the Roggae, maybe it was true for the tree ? But why would a dead tree offer a giant egg to the creatures who outrooted so many of its brothers ?

So many questions but nobody to answer. After all, who cared ? The whole Watch and Rest Shift began to shoot.
    "-Ark give food !! Ark give egg !!"
    And they advanced to the giant egg to eat it. stomach first, religion second.

Spoiler
    Show
    6 adult Roggae charge the egg, using stones to break it when they are in contact. Eggs are like candy for them...

3. - Top - End - #63

As the Roggae advance on Ark, the avatar defends itself and counter-attacks by smashing into the Roggae with the wooden "roof".

"This Egg gives you bad stomach!"
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-12-14 at 06:12 AM.
    A Revenant

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roggae

Southern herd

Spoiler
    Show

I guess you hit to stun, not to kill. If you hit to kill, I'll edit.

The Roggae hit the ground as wood felt upon them. The two biggest specimens stood up after a few second, still wondering what had happened. The egg was still there but "Ark" spoke again in their head. They looked at each other, then at the rest of the herd, who was still stunned.

"-Egg danger"
    "-No. Ark danger. S-p-i-r-i-t. Kill spirit."

They seized rocks and began to throw them at the tied branches. The rest of the herd imitated them until the one Rogga who had speak first about Ark stopped them.
    "-Stop !! Wood not move !! Egg move !!"
    "-Ark be Egg ?"
    "-Yes. Ark be Egg."
    "-Egg throw wood !!! Kill Egg !! Kill Ark !! Throw stone !!"

And then, they tried again, this time throwing rocks, stones and pebbles at the giant egg, with all the frustration they got from their earlier failure.

5. - Top - End - #65

Ark simply lowers the wooden barrier. It waits for its avatar to break then recalls it in a flash of light to his domain in the mountain.
    A Revenant

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The tasty egg was theirs !! Or wasn't it ? The flash blinded the Roggae for a moment and, when they looked at the egg (or at least at where it was supposed to be), they saw nothing. They looked at each other...
    "-Sss-pi-R-it."
    "-Spirit. Ark be spirit."
    "-Spirit leave. We leave. Spirit want we leave."
    The "discussion" about what a spirit was exactly, where it did come from and what he wanted, if it was friendly, hostile or just playful... all of this went on until nightfall, when the Supply Shift came back.

Eventually, it was agreed the followings :
    • Ark was a spirit from beyond the grave. But was it the spirit of a tree, of a Rogga, of a bird or anything else ? mystery...
    • He feigned to give them food to lure them into its trick.
    • Spirits could be scared but, as they were already dead, they could not be killed.
    • "Ark the Trickster Egg" was in a good mood. After all, if he could throw branches, what prevented him to do the same with stones or even with Roggae ?

So, the best thing was to get back to the savanna of the North, where they could tell the other herds about those spirits.

7. - Top - End - #67

Brian, Turn 2

"Why be sneaky? I could show you a demonstration tonight if you want. If you agree I will stage an attack using stealth. I will not kill anyone, but some may end unconscios. He remains where he is sitting.

8. - Top - End - #68

Mar, Turn 2 - The Poi

It took Mar a few seconds to figure out what was going on, but once he did, he lowered his own spear - Eel's Ray, once his most powerful artifact had lost most of its magical qualities, but Mar was certain that he would've been able to at least take a couple of them down.

Now, however, he lowered it and forced a smile on his face.
    I'm not like the sharkman. I come in peace.
    He said, projecting a feeling of calm and safety in their thoughts to explain the word peace.
    I'm Mar. I live in the sea, like you.
    He pointed at the water they were in to clarify.
    I know the sea. I want to help...you? What are you?

Mar's impression of the creatures was that while more aggressive than the Roggae, they also seemed a bit smarter.
    Mar was thankful for that. He saw a lot of potential in these amphibious creatures.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Turn 3

5 EP

Alvatsot - 7% increase

Rogga - 6% increase

Ernvuld - 6% increase

Masstakran - 6% increase

Tempesta - 7% increase

Zaali - 5% increase

Zakrull - 7% increase

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Tempestan Turn 3

The Tempestans moved away from the smaller creatures, attacking them when they got too close.

The next generation of Tempestans were smarter and stronger than those before. They asked questions, questions that the elders could not give. They wondered things which the elders did not.

As the Raijin grew, they split up and spread out. Some of them went north, more moved southwest, and some looked to the great mass of water, wondering what was on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show

+2 Strength
    +1 knowledge(tactics)
    +1 language
    +1 Grasping Appendages

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Masstakran
    Turn 3

The masstakran are quite evenly spread out throughout their territory, with each of the four surrounding nests being the same distance (roughly) from the central nest, allowing adult females to easily move to another nest when they reach adulthood, but the males were rather protective about territory, so females increasingly had to express complex thoughts, such as 'I mean no harm, I have just left home'. After South Nest began to flood after very heavy rain, they learnt more about aquifers, and also a nest move slightly east where the soil was less likely to flood, but was harder to dig into.

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 to aquifer knowledge, +2 language, +1 digging, 1 EP banked until I know what to do with it.
    Population: 113 (I think), divided into five nests, South Nest, East Nest, North Nest, West Nest and Central Nest (also known as First Nest) and with about twenty-two in each (the calculator on my laptop says 22.6, so I think one may have twenty three in side. If so, that is Central Nest).
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2008-12-14 at 12:01 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    EDK? Did the Poi fail at reproducing this turn?

Poi
    Turn 3

The Poi leader waited for a moment, then pointed his spear upwards as a sign of peace. The Poi clicked and flapped their gills, and the Poi reutrned to their tasks. The Leader clicked at a follower, and he ran across the sands, he webbed feet flapping. The Poi leader then turned to Mar. Ocean Good. Ocean safe. Mar Ocean. Mar good. The Leader pointed to himself. Clok. Clok like Mar. Mar help Clok? Mar Help with a sweeping gesture, he indicated the 100+ Poi Poi? At that Point, the Runner returned, bearing a slab of raw fish, with a strong scent of salt and a necklace of Shark teeth, similar to the one Clok was wearing, woven from palm fronds. Clok Give Mar Sharkman. Sharkman tasty. Clok presented the gifts to Mar, nervously hoping for something in return. Meanwhile, the Females and refined the spear making process, and one had even turned the spear head sideways. The sound of a tree crashing in the distance was heard, followed by more clicking....

Spoiler
    Show

+1 stonecrafting
    +1 Weaving
    +3 Toughness
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Poi: 6% * *

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roggae

The second gathering
    (first one was offscreen...)

As they kept exploring further and further away from their homeland, the Roggae accumulated knowledge and had to invent more and more words. Different dialects began to appear between the herds because many could do the same discovery and name it differently.

These differences weren't impossible to overcome, though. While it had been an habit for two herds to exchange their young males when meeting each other, these meeting had always been nothing but luck. Now, as the herds traveled back and forth on the same migration paths, it began customary for them to meet every few years in the homeland and to share stories.

The second of such gathering was a special one. Stories about Ark and Määr fascinated the children and worried the adults. Questions about the spirits and their origin began to arise between the elders while the young adults were courting, each male doing his best to impress the females before choosing which herd he would join. When the time to depart went, a new generation was ready to make his way into the Island.

Spoiler
    Show

+1 Brain and +1 Language
    Because of the social interaction, constant trials, story telling and other brain-stimulating activities. + I want to get as many adjectives as I want.
    +2 Fishing
    Thank you Mar. Griia's herd is coming back soon.
    +1 Tool Crafting
    They got claws and teeth to cut, they got hands and skill to weave. I bet they can do something a bit more complex than baskets, mats, ropes and nets.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

The masstraken should be 6% both turns...they don't have any points in fertility.

Also...who are the Raijin?
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-14 at 12:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Fertility is not the only thing that controls population growth.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slurpz View Post
    The masstraken should be 6% both turns...they don't have any points in fertility.

Also...who are the Raijin?
    ooc: Read the description for the Tempestan... Raijin are just another name for tribe

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

The masstakran have no natural predators. It means they only lose members when they die of old age, illness or accident while hunting or tunneling. They mainly hunt small prey so there is only hunting left.
    So, that's a lot of positive inputs and only few outputs.

And "Raijins" are the Zakrull's packs

EDIT : Ninja by Turalisj...
    Last edited by Johel; 2008-12-14 at 01:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    ooc: Read the description for the Tempestan... Raijin are just another name for tribe
    Oh that's kind of confusing...is it a plural name for it, or what?

EDIT: I fail at reading.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-14 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

MAP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zaali, Turn 3

The Zaali continued to spread, with two more packs splitting off from the main group and moving southward. The southern most pack began building walls against the river, finding that these stone barriers doubled as a "block" against unwanted water rising.

The strangest thing happened. Each of the Zaali began to feel the presence of the Zaali closest to him or her in his or her mind. As they sought to strengthen those connections, they began to realize that their mental processes overlapped and made making connections and learning new things an easier process.

The other Zaalian packs continued to enlarge and fortify their walls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Population: 105 + 5% = 110.25, rounded down to 110.

Brains +3 (beginning of mental awareness of others and the start of a group conscience), Agility +2
    Last edited by slurpz; 2008-12-14 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

The day after the Sun had come to the Zakrull, it took it's normal place in the sky. This was interesting It seemed the Sun slept high in the sky, during the day, but came to hunt on the earth during the night. The Zakrull too slept high up, though they were bound to the mountain-sides.
    But there were other things the Zakrull did high up, and that was going on now. In the upper branched of the Tree, Zakrull were laying eggs. There had been a battle, and the Zakrull needed to replenish their numbers. And what better place to replenish losses from the Battle where the Sun had come, than the Tree of the Sun. Eggs were laid in the branches, more eggs than ever before, and the Zakrull receded to sleep on the trunk.

Spoiler
    Show
    +5 Fertility
    (I may shrink this number later if I want to spend my points elsewhere later in the turn)
    Last edited by Cruxador; 2008-12-14 at 01:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spindly legged Masstakran stalked the halls, collecting jewels and jewels and stones. The master would like these, he would, of yes, he would. Faster and faster he would become better and better, and his master liked gifts, that he did. So he would bring them to him! But quickly, the servants must find the Slave-ones, tell them the prophecy, inform them their fate... Yes, it would come to be that all would fall in place, with just a little nudge of power...

The spindly legged Masstakran hissed, and he entered a chamber filled with the slave-ones. Foul beins they were! Living in filth, unknowing of thje Light Above! He would have to show them the Light.

"Burrowing ones!" His voice cried out into the minds of the Masstakrans, hissing and sinister. "You create these tunnels and shape the world, we applaud you! But what is here? Rocks? Jewels? You experience, but you do not experience the full. Yes, I am the messenger of a great being, and great being that can show you true Sense!" He tapped several Masstakrans. "You are chosen, Slithering Ones. Spread the message. There is a great one in the Sky. Worship him, and he will great you Pleasures beyond your mortal knowledge."

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    He built shiny pet rocks with an edge. 'Nuff said.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Masstakran

A masstakran in the Center Nest slithered forwards. He said but two words. "What Sk-y?" Then another one, towards the back of the chamber, said "What je-wells?" Why you want rocks? What war-shipp? Who Burrowing Ones? Hue is suddenly asaulted with questions, too fast to answer any of them. He is also given a rock. Well, lots of rocks. Just handed to him, not thrown or anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess, when trying to convert some blind creatures which live underground, mentioning jewels, which are stones and there's lots of stones underground, isn't perhaps the best idea as they don't see any value in them (or anything else-no eyes). In fact, bone rings is as far as ornamentation goes.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spindly legged Masstakran paused, gathering the rocks being given to me, pausing at the questions before yelling- "STOP! No, please- stop! If you do not do as I say, The Master will hunt me- and he will hurt you, too! Please, please listen: You must bring a single animal to this chamber once a fortnight, and kill it, spilling it's blood in the name of the Master; Great power will come to you, or else- NO! The master, he is already angered! Listen to me, please, appease him!" With that, the chamber shuddered, a 'crackthoom' of sound rushing through the chambers and echoing through the halls, devastatingly ringing in the Masstakrans ears. And then... there was nothing. The Spindly Legged Masstakran was gone, and he left behind only a circle of stones where he had been in the center of the chamber.
    Last edited by Reath; 2008-12-14 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    He built shiny pet rocks with an edge. 'Nuff said.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Masstakran
    Turn 3

The masstakran of Center Nest where shocked by the Spindle-Legged Masstakra's words. They didn't know who he was, but they did what he asked without question. The ones touched by the Spindle-Legged Masstakra acted the same as usual. There was an overall consensus that the Spindle-Legged Masstakra was slightly insane, possibly because of this 'master' whatever one of those was. Due to the masstakran's measurement of time-basing the years on how long a hatchling took to grow up and the months on how long an egg took from laying to hatching- the sacrifice took place every three of the solar weeks.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Ernvuld
    Round 3

Traps continue to enthrall Ernvuldi society. The smarter, better trapsmiths are revered. The smarter individuals thrive under this structure. The quality of the tools also improve to keep up with the need of the construction. Traps are used to gather food in addition to their defensive role.

A strange mutation has become apparent among the Ernvuld. Individuals have begun exhibiting the properties of both male and female. These individuals can mate either way, and their genes are becoming wide-spread in this manner. Each one of these Ernga can give birth and fertilize other Ernvuldi.

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 Brain
    +1 Grasping Appendages
    +1 Tool Crafting
    +1 Trap Crafting
    Hermaphroditism... 1 point?
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Rogga

Rââz Who-Saw-Määr was now an old male, his armor as thick as an oak's bark. He had nearly no scars but, unlike most males of his age, he didn't needed them to be respected. In the new herd he belonged to, his fishing skill, his wisdom and his teaching skills were more valued than courage. Especially since the Roggae had now so few predators. He had always been the first to be seek by females and at least four children looked like him in the herd. Young males and children alike were in awe each time he told them the stories of his youth. But despite all this, his one wish remained unfulfilled. But not for long.

He had finally convinced the matriarch to travel to the Sea. All along the way, the Rogga had spoken of his first (and only) encounter with the mysterious creature who had taught him how to fish but also not to fear the fire, as it could be a tool for the one who knew how to handle it.

And it was to learn more about the fire, this strange thing, neither liquid nor solid, that Rââz was leading the herd to the Sea. Among the young generation, many were impatient to meet the famous " Sea Spirit", as some had begun to call Mar. Though Rââz had refused to see in Mar anything more than a very smart and benevolent animal, he was now slowly convinced that Mar was something bigger...or rather someone.
    "If he comes, I must ask him more about the spirits. I must know who he is exactly."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd still need points in fire manipulation to use fire.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Brian, Turn 3

"Alright if stealth doesn't seem appealing to you how about a test of strength?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by slurpz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd still need points in fire manipulation to use fire.
    I know. That's why Roggae don't use fire yet. Some of the eldest know about potential uses like cooking, thanks to Mephit. But most don't.