New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Zyanya Game, Session 1

It is a week before the winter solstice, and the house of Lord Vergil is preparing for the trip to his winter estate. That is always a festive time in his household, for his winter estate is located near the small village of Coreand. The locals time their yearly festival to coincide with the Lord's visits, and there are crafts, wines, and foods galore. Coreand is famous for it's honey-ale and fruit orchards. And of course, there is the traditional solstice celebration that generally involves drinking, dancing, laughing at comedic performances, and general revelry until one can revel no more.

Lord Vergil is well respected by those beholden to him, and is by all accounts a good and decent man. The people of the village always welcome him with a magnificent feast, something that many of his servants look forward to all year long.

You are making your plans and packing for the trip when the Lord's secretary informs you that Lord Vergil would like to see you in his study. Immediately.

[http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...61#post5475361 for OOC stuff]
    Last edited by KeresM; 2008-12-14 at 02:46 PM.
    My gaming site Looking for contributors, designers, and artists!
    The Dragon Codex
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I want it to be noted that you're good people. Seriously, you're a saint.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Zyanya Game, Session 1

Baldor Heenigen, a sneaky little halfling specialized in scouting, good comrade in arms and generally nice fellow looks up from packing his backpack. He is currently wearing his studded leather armour, and has his short sword sheathed in his belt and his shortbow strapped to his back. His light brown hair is held back with a piece of thin rope, forming a short pony tail. He scratches his light beard and looks around the room at his fellow soldiers.
    "Well then friends, we better go see the good lord, don't you agree?"

An order is an order after all he thinks to himself as he gets up and tightens one of the straps on his armour, before once again turning to his companions.

"Well then, you fellows coming?"

[OOC: Do we have any military ranking system within our group?]
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default André des Sarlièves

André looked up at the halfling (he was kneeling by his foot locker)

We should indeed my friend, seigneur Vergil must not be kept waiting more then necessary on any day, but today a feast approaches and I am sadly out of money.... allons-y then.

He put the last things in his pack and stood up to his full, considerable height. At 6 foot 4 and 250 pounds, he was an imposing man to say the least. He wore standard issue scalemail, a crossbow hung from his waist, and he carried a sword bigger then the halfling on his back.
    During his short time in the service of lord Vergil, he had acquired a reputation as a fine companion for revel or combat.

He hailed from Nanon, and sometimes idioms from his homeland found their way into his speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sam

The group looked largely unfamiliar to Sam as he walked into the room. He brushed off his blue tunic, and pulled the creases out of the fabric. Leaning against the wall, he begins to hum a tune softly, one of the many songs he knew.

So, this is who they have me working with this time? It's always interesting how they move me around from group to group.

He stops humming, and looks at the halfling, as if he seems surprised by the hurry exhibited.

I think we'd best wait for everyone to get ready. I'm not even sure how many of us there are supposed to be.

5. - Top - End - #5

Baldor Heenigen

Baldor looks over to the newcomer.
    "Well hello there fellow. Of course we will wait for everyone to get ready. It wouldn't look very good to the lord if we all didn't arrive, would it? Now: I do not think we have met before, have we? My name is Baldor Heenigen, bowman and sneak, from Hendrika."

He walks up to his new comrade-in-arms and extends his arm, inviting a hand shake, keeping eye-contact and that friendly hospitable welcoming smile that only halflings can muster without looking creepy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

André des Sarlièves

André walks up to the new arrival, and extends his hand.

Bonjours and well met, I am André des Sarlièves, swordsman extraodinaire, who might you be?

7. - Top - End - #7

Sam

Thank you for the honor of your companionship, Misters Heenigen and des Sarlieves. I am Sam Wendell. I'm a musician and a recorder of deeds with the army. I also have been trained in the art of diplomacy. Seeing as how my skills are rather unusual in the army, I tend to be shifted from assignment to assignment, rather than having a unit.

He shakes the hands of both men, and then smiles.

So, what was your last assignment? I was with a unit that just returned from the Sclavini border. Happily, we didn't lose a single man during our mission. I hope that luck continues.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, I have only entered my lord Vergil's service a month ago, and so far my duties have been mostly being on watch. And please, call me André.

9. - Top - End - #9

"Well, I haven't been on active duty for a while. I used to work for the army up in Hendrika. Joined here a couple of weeks ago. Last time I was in the field I worked as a merchant guard on a ship. One night we were attacked by pirates. That didn't end too well, I'm sad to say. Though I am grateful to God and the world that I can be here today."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason just finished wrapping his soap into a piece of cloth, to stop it from passing on it's scent to everything else in the backpack, when the order came.

"Jawohl, I'll be on my way immediately." he responds, ramming home the little bundle into a corner of his backpack.

(Hm, I wonder what this is about.)

[OOC: Assuming the others are either in the antechamber or the study itself already?]

Jason approaches the study, pausing just a moment to inspect his own reflection in a nearby mirror. Tabard clean and straight over the chain shirt? Check. Boots clean and gleaming? Check. Well, then...

He enters the room and, upon seeing the others already present, klicks his heels and salutes smartly to make his presence know.

"Private Barris reporting for duty, sir!"

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-12-14 at 06:15 PM.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

11. - Top - End - #11

Sam

Sam seems startled by the loud entry of the private. He almost jumps back, and looks slightly incredulous at the shouting.

No need for that sort of introduction. I think we're all privates here. No need to sir any of us, Mr. Barris. You may want to relax now, since I'm sure we will be given plenty opportunities to salute shortly. And Andre, please call me Sam.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason smiles and says "Better one salute too many then one to few. Anyway, I'm private Jason Barris, pleased to meet you. So you too have been summoned then, ja?", his accent giving away his origin from the country of Ingel.

He looks over his companions with a kind of polite, professional curiousity.

"Ach, it seems we are quite a diverse bunch already. Gut, gut, the more different skills we have, the more we are prepared for any situation we might be facing. But I don't think the four of us will be the only ones."

"Maybe we should compare notes then? Allow me to start. I am coming straight from the Raven Academy, infantry combat and command school. Small unit tactics and all that."

Jason nods at the others, encouraging them to introduce themselves.

Taking a closer look, you realize that Jason is not wearing the standard issue scale mail but a chain shirt under the tabard bearing the arms of Lord Vergil.

Right now he keeps his arms folded behind his back, but for a moment the more perceptive ones might have spied the sigil ring Jason wears. Maybe he is some minor noble, or rather, the son of one.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-12-14 at 06:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

seeing the signet ring, André looks remorsefully at his ring finger, where a similar ring had been until it was stolen from him.

knowledge- nobility and royalty on the signet (1d20+6)[11]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lord Vergil's study is a comfortable room, decorated with several wall tapestries depicting the history of the history of this noble house. The other decorations vary, but all are well made, gifts from Lord Vergil's various subjects. On a wood sideboard carved with vines of holly there sits a tray containing both tea and wine, as well as some of the cook's delicious meat pies. The secretary gestures for you to help yourselves, and goes to inform the lord of your arrival.

Lord Vergil is an older man, once a powerful warrior but now going a bit towards fat. His chestnut hair is liberally streaked with silver and this past year he has taken to wearing spectacles. He smiles warmly at each of you in turn as he enters the room.

'Ah, good, most of you are here. The others shall be joining you shortly. I'm afraid I have some bad news, and I apologize, but you will not be accompanying me to the winter estates. I know you were all looking forward to the festival, but duty calls. For some reason, my brother has requested the use of some of my men rather than his own for an errand." Judging by the look of irritation on his face, it seems Lord Vergil was not given details regarding the errand. "You are to proceed to the monastery at Thursten Falls, where he is in retreat. Should anyone inquire as to your errand, you are delivering a package from me to him. You are to tell no one you are on the church's business, not now and not once he actually gives you the errand."

He gestures to a servant who hands Jason a small book-chest. "Give those to him. A couple philosophical texts on the subjects of honesty and openness, I thought it fitting. Pack lightly, and leave immediately. Your horses are already being seen to.'

He nods farewell, and leaves the room.
    The Dragon Codex

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Before entering:

Well met M. Barris, I am André des Sarlièves, please call me André. You say you come from the raven school? My tutor in swordplay alays spoke highly of the place, the Corbeau Blanc academy, where leaders of men are thought their craft. I myself use some of it's techniques, I look forward to working with you.

In the study:

It is an honor Messire, the winter feast will come again next year, but one is seldom given the chance to serve the Lord. On the subject of food, how far away is this retreat? And may we get supplies from the kitchen?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your destination is a two day ride from the city, and the servant informs you that food and water has been packed for you. He reminds those of you who use bows to grab sufficient arrows, as you will be unable to acquire any sort of weapons at the monastery. And as usual, those of you borrowing horses from the lord are reminded that should the horses not be returned in the best of health, you will be answering to the Lady and she does not take kindly to her horses being mistreated.
    The Dragon Codex

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Before entering:

Well met M. Barris, I am André des Sarlièves, please call me André. You say you come from the raven school? My tutor in swordplay alays spoke highly of the place, the Corbeau Blanc academy, where leaders of men are thought their craft. I myself use some of it's techniques, I look forward to working with you.

Jason nods at his fellow man-at-arms "Very good. My father always says, 'before you can lead, you must learn to follow'. Well, we are doing just that, aen't we? Ach, we should take some time to compare notes. You know, how to best utilize our training for the benefit of the unit."

But before he can go on, they are called into the Lord's study, where they receive their instructions. Jason does not forget to salute upon entering either.

Quote Originally Posted by KeresM View Post
    He gestures to a servant who hands Jason a small book-chest. "Give those to him. A couple philosophical texts on the subjects of honesty and openness, I thought it fitting. Pack lightly, and leave immediately. Your horses are already being seen to.'

He nods farewell, and leaves the room.
    "Jawohl, Lord Vergil. We will deliver your package safely and swiftly." Jason says as he bows to his liege.

Pity to miss the festival, but there is always next year.

And as father always says, 'performing one's duty with dedication and resolve is it's own reward'.

Jason leaves with the other men to get his equipment.

Lycar

18. - Top - End - #18

Baldor makes a discrete yet respectful bow to the lord.
    "Well said André. I am sure this mission is more important than a festivity, and there will always be more parties after all. If the lord is finished, I will go grab some arrows and provisions, and I am sure my friends here also need to get ready for the journey. With your permission?"

Once the lord okays it, Baldor goes and gets two additional full quivers (40 arrows) and fastens them to his backpack. He also picks up enough provisions to last him the journey.

I am going to need to get someone to share a horse with. I don't know anything about riding, besides those beasts are five times my size!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Late into the meeting one might have noticed a very serious looking young man entering, intent on not making a sound. He nods in approval as he hears Vergil's instructions.

"Very well, my liege" he says. "I would like for us to be on our way as soon as possible. I will need to fill up on my stock of bolts as well."

Those who missed him sees a tall blonde man with ice blue eyes filled with determination leaving the room. He has the look of a northerner and is obviously a swordsman. If you hadn't guessed by his look and stature, his greatsword and scalemail are a dead giveaway.

20. - Top - End - #20

Sam

My Lord, we shall perform this task with all haste. May your trip to the winter estates be peaceful.

Sam bows low, and then nods to the others.

We should prepare with all haste. I shall purchase some more arrows, and some rations, and meet you shortly.

Sam purchases a waterskin, some food, and obtains arrows before heading to the stables and loading the saddle-bags.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Outside, the air is crisp, with an additional chill brought on by the wind. In the distance, you can see clouds heading your way, likely bringing the first snows. There is ice on the edges of the aqueduct.

The grooms and other servants express their condolences that you will not be coming to the festival with them, and offer some good-natured ribbing that they will happily feast upon your shares of the wine and food.

The horses are a tad frisky, having been cooped up the last couple days while the preparations were being made. One of the servants advises you to take the west gate and go around, as several nobles are currently leaving via the north gate with all the pomp and circumstance they feel they are due.

Briginwood, a small farming village, lies to the north, on the road leading to the monastery. You should be able to reach the village by nightfall and sleep comfortably in an inn rather than try to find shelter in the cold.
    The Dragon Codex

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ib rushes out to refill his stock of crossbow bolts, not bothering with introductions. He rides his borrowed steed to the west exit and waits there for the rest of the party to arrive.
    The cold air doesn't seem to bother him much. He stares into distance.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

André grabs supplies and goes to the stables for a horse. He then rides to the gate, and goes next to the rude young man.

Hello there mon ami, what's with the attitude? I am none too thrilled to miss the party, but there is no call to be rude.
    I am André des Sarlièves by the way, please, call me André
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2008-12-17 at 10:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Json asks for a winter blanket. Maybe they manage to reach the inn in time, maybe not. Fortune favours the bold but the wise prepare for desaster.

After some last farewells to the people he got to know over the course of the alst few weeks, Jason rides out to meet his group at the west gate.

He arrives about in time to witness Andrè confront the northener.

Keeping himself back, he watches and listens, intent to see how the two will act this out.

Lycar

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hmm. Sorry? Ib says as he is awoken from his thoughts.
    I apologise if I insulted you. Such was never my intent. Pleased to meet you, André. My name is Ib Knudsen.
    He extends his hand for a handshake and continues.
    I'm not to keen on parties myself, but I've heard you have great parties in...Nanon?
    He offers a smile as he waits to get his suspicions on André's heritage confirmed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh, I was not TOO insulted

He laughs

It is just that the rest of us got to know each other a little in the barracks, and you stormed off without talking. It is enough for one to feel... overlooked. But I accept your apology. And yes, we do know how to have fun back home.... Ah, the finest wines, the finest food, and the finest woman a man could ask for!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The guard at the gate is shivering in the cold, and waves you through with only a cursory glance. The West Gate is normally the scenic route, as it opens out into the orchards. The autumn leaves are still falling, causing gold and red leaves to swirl about in the light breeze.

There are few other riders out this gate, and you can proceed unimpeded.
    The Dragon Codex

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jason

Jason nods to himself as Ib finally introduces himself and nudges his own horse to close the distance.

"Good to see you didn't totally forget your manners. I take it, you are more a man of action then? No stomach for idle chit-chat and banter? Either way, since you missed our little rounds of introductions earlier, allow me to put you up to speed. I am Private Jason Barris, Raven Academy graduate."

"So, since our instructors took so much care to drill into us the importance of knowing your squads strengths and weaknesses, what combat training do you have?"

Lycar

29. - Top - End - #29

Sam

Sam is smiling as the horse trots out through the west gate. He nods at the newcomer, really not minding.

I'm Sam. Nice meeting you Ib.

Sam begins to sing as the group rides, picking an appropriate song for fall and the harvest.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Then the rumors are true. I am sure I would like it.
    His answer sounds curteous more than it sounds enthusiastic, but he offers a friendly smile as he says it.

He turns toward the newcomer.

Pleased to make your aquaintance, private Barris. I am Ib, though you may call me private Knudsen if you prefer it. He smiles.
    If you are looking for someone with years of training I am afraid you will be disappointed. All my formal training has been had in the service of lord Vergil. But do not worry. I know how to use a sword. Although it may not look as good when I do it, I always get the job done.

This was really turning out to be a talkative bunch. But we'll get riding soon and it will be easier to distance myself.

Nice meeting you as well, Sam. So. Are we ready to go? Or are we waiting for more travelling companions? I didn't get a chance to see how many attended the meeting.
    Last edited by Butch; 2008-12-17 at 06:40 PM.