New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Predestination Paradox [IC]

In the Hall of the Mountain King

Chapter 1: The Unfortunate Beginning

It all began one day when Baron Osgard Heimlich decided to host an annual tournament of champions. Adventurers from all around the world ventured to the little town of Northpoint in search of fame and fabulous riches. Not all of them survived, but those who did, often became legendary in their own right. This year's dungeon course was yet to be revealed, but all rumors about it pointed to a 'Labyrinth'.

So as you all enter the town through your separate and disjointed ways... you see on the windswept cliffs in the distance, a monolithic maze of dark, ominous stone. Just below it... a massive city of tents. Good thing there's the inn. There's a huge billboard above it stating that if you want to join the dungeoncrawl, you'd best visit the inn and sign up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be typing in mostly Italics for Plot Narrative, Standard Text For Anything Else, Navy or Maroon text for speech. Any questions? I'll be doing everything not IC in spoiler blocks. So that's everything from rolling to idle OOC conversation that doesn't merit a separate post.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Predestination Paradox [IC]

Waiting still and silent next to the Inn door, an imposing metal golem stands near the entrance to the inn. At first glance it appears to be watching over the crowd filing in and out of the inn, but a closer look will show all it's attention focused on a group of small children playing on the side of the road.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo My'Orléan

A rather weak and feeble looking elf tries to find his way through all the tents, apologizing profusely everytime he bumps into somebody. It looks like he's following one of the other adventurers, trying to get his attention.

Err . . . excuse me sir? Pardon me. . . I was just wondering- Sorry, coming through. Err, what are you-

Jaezo follows this man to the inn, constantly trying (and failing) to get the other adventurer to pay attention to him, before he accidentally walks right into 13013.

Oh, sorry about that. See, I was just trying to get this man's attention. Sorry. . .

Jaezo sort of wilts for a few moments, before rushing into the inn with the man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Oh, sorry about that. See, I was just trying to get this man's attention. Sorry. . .
    Elissa Furrowthread

"And which man is this you seek?" a small voice asks. The halfling stands just on the other side of the door, seemingly on her way to enter the inn. She is apparently using one of the several half-spears she carries as a kind of walking stick, fatigue apparent on her features, despite the shoulder length braids that half cover her face.
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-13 at 09:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there. See, I was trying to get some help on this whole 'labrynth' that I'm going to be doing soon.
    As you might have able to tell, I'm not exactly the . . . strongest person around, and I thought I might need some help. .

The elf looks very shy, and sounds almost childish, even though he looks just as old as every other elf you've ever seen. Jaezo just stands there, twiddling his thumbs, evidently embarrassed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The halfling yawns, taking in her surroundings a bit more before answering. "Going in with a group will of course be the smart thing to do - even if it often causes more problems then it solves. You have any talents elf? I'll not be joining carrying any priss who can't even handle a club."

Her eyes wander a bit more and land on the golem standing next to her. She double takes the entrance to the inn, and looks back. "If you're a gargoyle, you'd be better off finding a Monestary rather than an inn to crouch on."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The "golem" turn it's attention from the children as it hears a voice coming from below. It kneels down next to Elissa and asks in a confused voice:

"What is...gar-goil? Why not at play?" Suddenly shifting to a more worried and stern tone, the "golem's" eyes take on a slightly darker sheen. "Why look so tired? Did miss sleep time? Should take sleep! Where you bed?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

She brushes a few strands out of her eyes and looks upon the warforged, comforted by the concern. Such compassion was rare to come by. "Suffice to say I should have had a spare mount on my way to northpoint..." she smiled wryly. "Although the bandits would likely have run off with that one too."

She glances inside the inn. "Sleep was what I had in mind. That is these building's purpose, is it not? To sleep?" She saunters in to start her registration for the event.
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-15 at 05:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 looks after the odd child as she enters the inn with curiosity. "Strange kid...talks too old..." it mutters before turning to resume it's focus on the town children at play, completely oblivious to the poor elf.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The "poor elf" wimpers a little and chases after Elissa.

"Errr . . . Pardon me ma'am? I don't suppose you could tell me how to sign up? Also, I hope you don't mind me tagging along with you?
    I could be quite helpful.

Jaezo is like a child, unsure of what he should do. Then again, he pretty much is, so. . .
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Just following the sign, elf." She gestures tiredly. "Have a name?"
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-15 at 06:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, yes, a name, how could I forget; my name is Jaezo. My'Orléan. May I ask your name?

He signs up for the tournament below Elissa.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, yes, a name, how could I forget; my name is Jaezo. My'Orléan. May I ask your name?

He signs up for the tournament below Elissa.
    "Elissa," she looks around the crowded inn. "Hopefully there's actually room - but judging by the city outside, it looks like i'll be taking a dirt nap again." She stops for a moment, thinking on the words. "Not... not the way humans mean that though."
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-15 at 06:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm pleased to make your aquaintance, Elissa.

Jaezo checks to see if there's any vacancy in the inn (probably not ).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Nevik Lask, Human Duskblade

Short, stocky, and powerfully built, a man bristling with weapons enters the inn and looks around for where to sign up. "Gods, would you look at that tent city!" he says to no one in particular. "It must have every bravo, thug, and mercenary for 100 miles camped in it."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yourself excluded, of course." Elissa remarks with thinly disguised disdain.

17. - Top - End - #17

Nevik

Turning toward the commentator, Nevik dismisses the sarcasm with a casual wave of his hand. "Oh, quite the opposite. I'm here for the same reason they are, I'm sure. To take part in this great tournament and prove my mettle. It's not like you're here merely to take in the sights, are you?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Perhaps I am," she responds, his honesty catching her somewhat off guard. "But first, I shall find a place to sleep."
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-16 at 03:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, it was nice to meet you, sir." He fiddles a little bit, trying to think up some small talk. "What do you think of the competition? I heard it was going to be a maze, or at least something similar. Good for me, I guess, as I'd much rather use my wits than than my. . . admittedly flimsy body." He almost seems to be making fun of himself, the way he says this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Say, I don't suppose I can use some skill checks to see if I know anything vaguely important about this tournament or the baron, can I?
    I'm just not sure if you want to save actual dice for later or not.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

13013 turns and enters the inn at the sound of Elissa looking for a place to sleep. "Not have place to sleep? And here for maze? Alone or have team? Bob find bed!" And without waiting for a reply, 13013 marches off in search of the innkeeper, to secure a bed for his newest friend.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Bob?" "As good a name as any, I suppose." She follows the warforged curiously, both for it's idiosyncratic speech, and to find out what it meant to do to secure a bed.

"I don't often see Innkeepers with golem servants, so either this establishment is run by a hermit mage, or your delving into the maze yourself."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Boss tell Bob help small team in maze." 13013 stops and turns to look down at Elissa, "Have small team for maze? Bob help!" And with that enthusiastic decision, 13013 continues to hunt down the innkeeper.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I think I might have joined her group, but I'm not sure. She didn't really give me a yes or no answer.

Jaezo has, of course, been following 13013 and Elissa.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

As the four of you enter the inn, you spend about an hour of your life filling out the mind numbingly boring forms. Page after page of hypothetical situations... you're practically ready to quit when you reach what appears to be the last page. You facepalm as you read the last line. "Congratulations for wasting two hours of your time! You really didn't have to fill out any of this stuff... you were just gullible enough to believe that there really was an application! Sucks for you! Come again next time! Meanwhile, enjoy the dungeon. It is in no way, shape or form designed or intended to maul you, decapitate you, incinerate you or otherwise incapacitate you. If that happens... well it won't happen. Cheers and good luck!"

The Bartender/Innkeeper is obviously out of rooms judging by the tent city outside. However... a little jingling in the pockets might change his mind. Otherwise you'll have to spend your night outside... somewhere... which might entail some negative side effects.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-12-16 at 07:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo approaches the innkeeper, and asks for some room, dropping an appropriate amount of money into his lap as he does so. "Are you sure you don't have any rooms open? I really would hate to have to sleep outside."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how much would be appropriate, since the DMG says they earn a few GP a month, but likely other adventurers pay him extra to get rooms as well.

Hoping though that the money gives a bonus on the diplomacy. As soon as I figure out how to roll the #@*% dice.
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2008-12-16 at 07:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elissa re-reads the last page and sighs. She places the page down next to a small desert lizard, which clicks a few times in response. "No, it's not too late to leave, is it?" She presses her knuckles to her forehead, to ease a developing migraine, then pushes out of her seat, the lizard gone - although to anyone else, it was never there.

She moves over to the golem, who was still struggling with the first few pages, and gently pats him on the knee. "Don't worry about the forms, Bob, come help me set up my tent."
    Last edited by idksocrates; 2008-12-19 at 01:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo approaches the innkeeper, and asks for some room, dropping an appropriate amount of money into his lap as he does so. "Are you sure you don't have any rooms open? I really would hate to have to sleep outside."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how much would be appropriate, since the DMG says they earn a few GP a month, but likely other adventurers pay him extra to get rooms as well.

Hoping though that the money gives a bonus on the diplomacy. As soon as I figure out how to roll the #@*% dice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm using a simplified version of Rich's Diplomacy rules, so you're going to have to specify a figure. I believe the Innkeeper is making around 5GP a day. Since you're all level three, it's probably safe to assume that this tournament is for lower level characters, so I don't think a bribe would exceed 200 GP max. Up to you of course. It all comes up against the dice after all.

To Roll:[Roll]XdY+Z[/Roll]
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-12-16 at 08:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaezo slips the Innkeep a small bag with some 25 or so GP in it.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+18)[37]

Oops - I think the +18 should be +14, so instead of a 37, it should be 33.
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2008-12-16 at 10:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Nevik

Upon getting to the last page, Nevik bursts out with a hearty laugh. "Well, I suppose the joke's on all of us," he says, noticing the others having their own reactions. "Still, I guess it's a lesson -- don't take anything at face value."

He heads over to the innkeeper. "Now, my good man," he says as he lays 25 gold pieces in front of him, "I don't suppose you might have a room left to rent?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well... now that I think about it... I do have a room that's unoccupied. Feel free to move any... organic objects out of that room. You'll be sharing it though, so nothing funny okay? Up the stairs, second door on the left." With that, the bartender turns back to polishing glasses. Actually it looks like he's making the glasses dirtier with every sweep. You try not to think about that as you head up the stairs.

Once up the stairs and in front of the appropriate door, you hesitate... unsure of what to do. Anyone who chooses to take the room will hear some pretty strange and muffled sounds emanating from it. Your choice if you want to take a look. It's not too late to turn back!

Spoiler
    Show
    The Bartender pockets 25 gold from anyone who wants to sleep in the room.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-12-17 at 09:58 AM.