New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Draconian Measures (IC)

Coatl looks at his best friend, "Xorkath, well axed, my brother. I would go into town to finish the job, but I fear that in helping to defend this town I have finally tipped my hand. I will not interfere with that warden's carrying out his legal duties, but I recognize that my presence and use of Kukulcan's Gift [magic] in this battle will not go unreported.

"Shall we do like the halfling and sorty to defeat the catapults? I must admit, however, that I am beginning to get headaches and feel the sting in my nose."
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Coatl's magic begins to be depleted, or more properly, as his channeling of magic takes its toll on his body, he begins to suffer headaches. After a critical amount of magic has been cast, he begins to suffer a mild nosebleed (does no damage and is not profuse) and migraines to show that his body can channel no more.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Coatl looks at his best friend, "Xorkath, well axed, my brother. I would go into town to finish the job, but I fear that in helping to defend this town I have finally tipped my hand. I will not interfere with that warden's carrying out his legal duties, but I recognize that my presence and use of Kukulcan's Gift [magic] in this battle will not go unreported.

"Shall we do like the halfling and sorty to defeat the catapults? I must admit, however, that I am beginning to get headaches and feel the sting in my nose."
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Coatl's magic begins to be depleted, or more properly, as his channeling of magic takes its toll on his body, he begins to suffer headaches. After a critical amount of magic has been cast, he begins to suffer a mild nosebleed (does no damage and is not profuse) and migraines to show that his body can channel no more.
    "Aye, we should do so promptly! Be on your guard, brother; I fear that we may encounter further resistance," Xorkath responded. "How much of Kukulcan's Gift remains within you this day, my weary brother? Should your access to such energies become too depleted... Well, we don't want to take risks unless there is no alternative."

Not bothering to clean his axe, Xorkath merely tightened his grip on the instrument of war. Copious amounts of blood from slain goblin enemies had been burnt on to the cruel head of the weapon due to striking the fiery core of the elementals. This was a matter for later, however, and the Orc began to run in the direction of the forest, following closely behind the Halfling.

"As for the Warden's false Law... There is little we can do about that right now," Xorkath bitterly muttered to himself.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeing others from the fight heading into the woods, Adrienna moves to follow them. "Wait for me!" She runs, trying to catch up, despite already being behind and being much slower. "Have you sustained many wounds? I can heal them, if it is needed."

4. - Top - End - #94

"Only another couple good spells before my body no longer has the strength to channel and my mind becomes too frayed," Coatl responds to Xorkath. "After that, maybe one or two very weak spells before I am completely enervated."

"I am unharmed, lady ..." Coatl begins to respond to Adrienna before he turns and actually sees her. After a slight look of confusion, and what may be a slight blush of embarassment, he quickly resumes control of his temporarily disarmed posture and voice and continues with a hidden strength, but having trouble taking his eyes off of Adrienna ... then realizing this and taking his eyes too purposefully from her ... only to be drawn back to looking at her as he speaks. "But I haven't much magic left before my poor skill at arms and an obsidian club are all I can offer to the fray."

He seems to have the faintest trouble breathing as he speaks to her.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unlike Xorkath and Adrienna, Coatl is just as human as the majority of the villagers; despite this, he looks more foreign and out of place than either of these two.

Coatl, for ease of description is from a culture not unlike the Aztecs, though in this case he would be more of one from a village than an Aztec city (think of the protaganist's home tribe from Mel Gibson's APOCALYPTO). This is the down and dirty, but we continue...

Coatl stands a full six feet high (a bit taller among his people), but possesses a figure that is not that of a warrior but solid nonetheless. His arms are not impressive, though not spindly. He has a good figure with moderate definition, yet has this peculiar pot belly. His eyes are black, and his long jet hair reaches just past the shoulders and is tied into an elaborate ponytail. His high forehead and cheekbones, aquiline nose, and solid jaw make a ruggedly handsome (though definitely exotic) man.

Coatl wears a mithral chain shirt, gleaming and delicately crafted - though definitely not fitting to the rest of his accoutrements, making one believe that this is an item he gained after leaving wherever his home might be. He carries a light shield of black wood with a bas relief of some type of flying serpent with wings in a highly stylized, almost blocky look. The serpent's scales are painted nearly every color of the rainbow and the wings are painted a sky blue. Beyond the shirt and shield, however, he wears only sandals, a loin cloth, and two pouches. Around his neck are large wooden 'beads' the size of a man's thumb with blocky, squared, stylized little figures all around a plant-fiber necklace strung through them.

He does not currently wield a weapon, but you have seen him cast magic so that comes as no surprise. However, the weapons at his side/back are a light crossbow (w/ 2 cases, and very unfitting to him, like his mithral shirt), a dagger with a wooden handle, a sickle of metal slightly darker than normal steel, and an imperfectly straight shaft - possibly a club - that appears to be made wholly of a black, glassy substance.

Currently, there is the faintest ring of blood around his nostrils ... not dripping, but the slightest 'border' if you will.

5. - Top - End - #95

Adrienna grins, clearly use to getting a reaction out of people (if not usually that particular reaction). "You did great fighting those creatures of flame, and saved many lives. I barely managed to distract the goblins, and I can't imagine facing the creatures of flame. At least not without my glaive." She spares a worried glance for the village. "I hope it's still intact. Anyway, I'm Adrienna Silverwing. Yeah, I know, incredibly creative last name, isn't it? Clearly, my father needs to work on his imagination. Anyway, I take it you are heading for the catapults that started all this? I'd like to help, if you'd have me."

She glances around again, looking at the field of battle. "Hmm, I wonder where Jaron wandered off to? His help could be useful as well. Say, I don't suppose either of you knew whoever it was how drowned the creature of flames? I'd like to ensure his name is remembered, if possible. Though, that can wait until after, I suppose. Such bravery." A look crosses her face, part concern, part... something else.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd offer more of a description, but I'm terrible at them.
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 2009-04-07 at 12:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

"I am Coatl, servant to the Mighty Xorkath," to which Coatl bows to you and defers to the half-orc to answer the lady's question, if at least to remember his place again ... or at least, his perceived place.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Still An NPC ( )

Reaching behind her, the brunette glided fingers over the feather fletchings, gaining a rough count of however many arrows remained in her quiver. She hesitated to join a small warband that went ahead of her, seeing how many people were already dead, dying, or desperate to help them. The woman looked around at those still alive. She was going to thrust the responsibility and the chance to fulfil it unto a stranger. The only important trait was someone – a child, a soldier, anyone – that wanted to help the injured and looked to have a steady hand.

Approaching the person confidently, she stopped long enough only to have them take into stock that she was looking purposefully at them.

From now until the last drop of this healing potion,” the woman plucked the only thing her raggedy backpack still held, a glass vial filled with slightly shimmering green liquid, “you're Lyran's auxiliary medic.”

She took their hand and placed the item into it, allowing no argument, staring seriously enough into their eyes so the person might understand she had chosen them out of anyone else.

Your mission is simple but significant: offer nothing more than a sip to stabilize the dying. The potion is potent enough that you shouldn't need to give anyone anymore than that. I'll be back to help you after stopping the sedge weapons. Be quick, be frugal, and best of luck to you.”

Regardless of result, the archer wordlessly turned away and went hastily to catch up with the mismatched group that had gone ahead of her. The small troop had assembled itself and were clearly on the warpath, their priority to stop the assault, her intent to assist them.

Rolls:

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive to find someone trustworthy and caring to help the injured (I'm handing over a potion that costs 300 gold pieces to a complete stranger; I want someone that's not cruel enough to run off with it) : (1d20+5)[16]

If I need to convince this person to step out of their grief, or overcome any self doubt, and accept their sudden “recruitment” as Lyran's medic, here's a Diplomacy roll: (1d20+20)[31]

The roll currently includes the Motivate Charisma minor aura.

Just to be clear, I'm giving my Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds to the "Lyran medic".

Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2009-04-07 at 04:39 PM.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

8. - Top - End - #98

"Well, we should get moving. I doubt the enemy will wait for us for much longer. I do wish we had more than the three of us, though. Still, it will have to serve."

Adrienna starts off in the direction she thinks is right, then pauses for a moment. "Uhm, it is this way, isn't it?"