New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony: Because Friendship Is Magic

I guess it's hard to put a character in peril when she has magical tricks up the wazoo. I wish I knew the limits to what Twilight can and can not do. Either that, or she was too panicked to think to use it. Stressful situations can do that. Perhaps a weak justification, but it serves well enough.

That said, I enjoyed it. It skated on thin ice, and it can be easily misinterpreted to say something different than what I guess was intended, but overall it was innocuous enough to be enjoyable.
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2011-02-11 at 11:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I also got one named Cheerilee. I can't quite place the name, can someone help me out?
    Cheerilee is the school teacher pony from "Call of the Cutie." Her toy was apparently very popular in the previous toy generation.

Check out this link its about 8 down on the chart: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

Other subject: Chris Sims of Comics Alliance is a fan of the show and has written a hilarious article about it: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...justice-league

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Funniest episode ever. This is more of slap-stick comedy instead of the normal pseudo-educational fun adventures in "Friendship is Magic", and I also like it very much. It's a nice change of the normal routine. Sure, Twilight Sparkle is perhaps a little bit more "Nu-uh, I'm a skeptic like Skully" than normal, and Pinkie Pie is... well, pinky-twitchy (and she has a pet alligator... with no teeth, hah). I doubt that we're going to see that twitchy-stuff again, but nonetheless, one heck of an entertaining episode for sure.
    Also, "Derpy Hoves" with derpy eyes... It seems that she works at a moving firm. Hah...

And I think that when Twilight was exploding, she kinda looked like that fire pony pokémon (I think it's called Ponyta or something like that).
    Twilight is a Rapidash. Really
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DeltaEmil; 2011-02-12 at 01:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

My family had mailed me all of the Happy Meal toys!
    I am so envious right now I am plotting to inconvenience you and steal your pony toys.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    And I think that when Twilight was exploding, she kinda looked like that fire pony pokémon (I think it's called Ponyta or something like that).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the horn, I'm more inclined to call her a Ponyta.

Last edited by Hawkflight; 2011-02-12 at 03:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Shoopers, start your Photoshop!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Dawww... My little Pokémon.

However, I seriously wonder if this similarity between a pokémon fire pony/unicorn and Twilight's brief anger scene is deliberate or not.

8. - Top - End - #248

NecromancerGuy

Dawww... My little Pokémon.

However, I seriously wonder if this similarity between a pokémon fire pony/unicorn and Twilight's brief anger scene is deliberate or not.
    I'm all but certain that the people involved in making this have come into contact with Ponyta and/or Rapiddash before through one means or another. I believe the Powerpuff girls, while not a direct time-slot competitor with pokemon.... like, ever, was in the same era at the first incarnation of the show for American audiences... And it does seem like the thing to do when one is making children's programming to keep abreast of what other shows are doing/have done.

So I believe that even if it was not an active.. inspiration, it had some subconscious effect.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-12 at 07:57 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #249

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm all but certain that the people involved in making this have come into contact with Ponyta and/or Rapiddash before through one means or another. I believe the Powerpuff girls, while not a direct time-slot competitor with pokemon.... like, ever, was in the same era at the first incarnation of the show for American audiences... And it does seem like the thing to do when one is making children's programming to keep abreast of what other shows are doing/have done.
    I think I vaguely remember a Pikachu like toy as part of the background in the Powerpuff Girls. They definitely owned a Nintendo 64, as did the Mayor - at one point he is clearly playing Ocarina of Time (he manages to skewer Navi). I certainly wouldn't put it past them to put a Ponyta reference into My Little Pony.

10. - Top - End - #250

Some trolls from 4chan went on Lauren Faust's Deviant Art account and started flaming her over the episode. Whether the moral annoyed you or not (I'm in the annoyed camp) you'll agree they went too far. If you have a Deviant Art membership head on over to her page and give her some morale support and encourage her to not give up on fandom participation. http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of 4chan, anyone else impressed at how they've nearly completely taken over /co/? I mean, it's a massive community that apparently keeps growing.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Some trolls from 4chan went on Lauren Faust's Deviant Art account and started flaming her over the episode. Whether the moral annoyed you or not (I'm in the annoyed camp) you'll agree they went too far. If you have a Deviant Art membership head on over to her page and give her some morale support and encourage her to not give up on fandom participation. http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

I registered there to give her my thanks. You all should too. If you don't, I will stare sternly at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I am so envious right now I am plotting to inconvenience you and steal your pony toys.
    You have no idea how much pure, unadulterated joy those toys gave me and are giving me. Watching the last episode while playing with Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle? Epic.

Cheerilee is the school teacher pony from "Call of the Cutie." Her toy was apparently very popular in the previous toy generation.

Check out this link its about 8 down on the chart: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Characters
    [/url]
    That's it, I remember her now. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Some trolls from 4chan went on Lauren Faust's Deviant Art account and started flaming her over the episode.
    So, they felt the need to vent out flames of righteous fury because a story about magical ponies, pegasi and unicorns expressed a notion of a world that sometimes eludes scientific categorization? That sometimes you just need to live with things even though you can't verify them through numbers and calculations?

Oh, you nerds

Anyway, great episode, as usual. I really enjoyed the slapstick and the action, made the episode seem more accessible to viewers who aren't necessarily into the meme-tastic appeal or the girly prettiness of the ponies.
    Last edited by Comet; 2011-02-12 at 05:54 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #254

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    So, they felt the need to vent out flames of righteous fury because a story about magical ponies, pegasi and unicorns expressed a notion of a world that sometimes eludes scientific categorization? That sometimes you just need to live with things even though you can't verify them through numbers and calculations?

Oh, you nerds
    Or ranting about how Twilight Sparkle is meant to be a stand-in for rational atheism when her immediate superior is a frickin' goddess.

Although I'd like to think that Twilight should have continued her scientific inquiries. The proper experimental procedure is to keep launching surprise anvil attacks to check if her tail still twitches. LAUNCH ANVIL FOR SCIENCE!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Or ranting about how Twilight Sparkle is meant to be a stand-in for rational atheism when her immediate superior is a frickin' goddess.

Although I'd like to think that Twilight should have continued her scientific inquiries. The proper experimental procedure is to keep launching surprise anvil attacks to check if her tail still twitches. LAUNCH ANVIL FOR SCIENCE!
    No, her tail doesn't twitch every time something falls. Every time her tail twitches, something falls.

16. - Top - End - #256

GnomeWizardGuy

No, her tail doesn't twitch every time something falls. Every time her tail twitches, something falls.
    You don't know that until the experiments are done.
    ANVILS AWAY!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the absurd ammount of bad luck Twilight was having when studying Pinkie it does make her seem less like a prophet and more like a curse.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

18. - Top - End - #258

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Given the absurd ammount of bad luck Twilight was having when studying Pinkie it does make her seem less like a prophet and more like a curse.
    All shall love her and despair, after all.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #259

Despite the controversy, I though this was a decent episode, the message could have possibly been worded better but I understand what the moral was. Let's hope there won't be misinterpretations by the children who watched it. On a side note, I always found it very weird that people go off their rocker when the word faith is used. Why is it that they always assume it has to be anti-intellectual, logic itself is a leap of faith, we choose to believe that the world has consistent laws within them that makes internal sense, heck if we believe otherwise- that whatever scientific data we have is just a series of coincidences- Science would be well, redundant.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Ah, but there's no such thing as curses!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been hearing things about various pony threads on various boards drawing ponies to represent their board. What would 'our' pony be like?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

A stick pony, I'd say...

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I've been hearing things about various pony threads on various boards drawing ponies to represent their board. What would 'our' pony be like?
    Well my pony looks like this
    Spoiler
    Show
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I totally need a Reinholdt catpony avatar now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

25. - Top - End - #265

You know, I thought I wasn't going to get pulled into this. I thought I could just ignore the fact that it's taking over /co/ and even invading /tg/ every so often, but I saw this thread and decided to go give it a shot, see what all the hullabaloo was about.

You've made a fan of me.

This is not right.
    I'm just...no...it's not right at all.

It's so freaking adorable, though. D:

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    That sometimes you just need to live with things even though you can't verify them through numbers and calculations?

Oh, you nerds
    As an engineer, everything in my field will be measured, calculated, and measured again. Then measured more for good measure.

Everything outside of my field will be examined by asking somebody who should know and accepting their explanation on faith. After all, I expect everyone who isn't an engineer to accept that my designs will work on faith, so why should I give anybody else less respect. Much as I would like it otherwise, I don't qualify as a renaissance man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #267

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    and I kept thinking towards Twilight on the Hydra bit: "YOU CAN TELEPORT, YOU BROAD!"
    This was exactly what I was thinking.

I'm old enough to have watched the original MLP as a kid, so the idea of unicorn ponies blinking all over the place was something I was expecting from the start of the series.

Thinking more carefully about it, the only time she's done it she claimed she didn't know how she did it.

It's still annoying though to see a being that just oozes magical power (remember the Ursa) end up just jumping off a cliff because she has nothing more useful to do.

To be fair this is true with most shows with magic (I'm looking at you Harry Potter) the characters always seem to be in need of a trip to the CO boards :/

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's why I don't care that she doesn't teleport at all in the second episode; it looks like she learned how/unlocked the ability to teleport when NightMare Moon teleported both of them back in the old castle.

And then there's episode 4, where she enters full Ganon mode and teleports all over the place.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Well, in the end I decided to actually not just give a small check, but actually sit down and watch this series. And the verdict is really, really good. Indeed, may be kiddy, and a bit heavy-handed at times, but it's truly entertaining and the characterization's surprisingly nice. Twilight's a favorite, as is Applejack. And, have to say, I can't help but think it a bit amusing that it's My Little Pony that might be the first series ever to make me like its inevitable "fashion-conscious character" - I love how they avoided the annoying shopaholic ego-stroker of every cartoon series, and instead made Rarity a generous designer and artist.

I need to check if the latest episode is in Youtube.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Found something on the Allspark forums, regarding the timeline, and the attempts to arrange the episodes. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Zecora
    A. Friendship is Magic Part I and II
    B. The Ticket Master
    C. Applebuck Season
    D. Griffon Brush-off
    E. Boast Busters
    F. Dragonshy
    G. Look Before you Sleep
    H. Bridle Gossip
    I. Swarm of the Century
    J. Winter Wrap-up
    K. Call of the Cutie
    L. Fall Weather Friends
    M. Suited For Success
    N. Feeling Pinkie Kean

1. Friendhip is Magic is first
    A is First.

2. Twilight's comment to Fluttershy in Ticket Master indicates it takes place in Summer, likely right after the Summer sun celebration in Friendship is Magic. Twilight accidentally teleports in this episode and burns Spike in the process, indicating she does not have any sort of mastery of the ability. She also does not use it to save herself in Pinkie Kean, nor does Applejack suggest she use it indicating that Applejack has not witnessed Twilight use the ability before as she did in Applebuck Season.
    B directly follows A, but is before N which is before C.

3. Twilight has mastered teleportation in Applebuck Season, and is seen still learning new abilities with Spike in Pinkie Kean and finally mastering most of her magic by Boast Busters.
    N is before E which is before C.

4. Winter Wrap-Up takes place as winter ends, Fall Weather Friends clearly takes place in fall. Applejacks harvest presumably takes place sometime between Summer and Fall, especially since Twilight Sparkle asks about her relatives who were present for the Summer Sun celebration. The rest of the Cutie Mark Trio is not present with Apple Bloom during the Iron Pony competition(Even when all of the other main characters are), so Call of the Cutie must occur afterwards. The leaves in Call of the Cutie are green, so it must take place after Winter Wrap-up.
    L is before J which is before K

5. Bridle Gossip takes place before Swarm of the Century due to Zecora's appearance. Again all main cast members are present with the exception of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, so Bridle Gossip takes place before Call of the Cutie. Twilight Sparkle is more laid back during Celestia's unexpected visit in Fall Weather Friends, so let's presume Swarm of the Century takes place before Fall as well and also before Call of the Cutie.
    H is before I which is before L which is before J which is before K

6. Fluttershy references "Hop, skip jump" in Pinkie Kean, so it takes place after Dragonshy.
    F is before N

7. Since Rarity seems to immediately jump on making her dress for the Gala and presumably some period of time passes while shes making dresses/holding a fashion show/having a mental breakdown, I'd presume Suited for Success closely follows the Ticket Master. Applejack and Rarity seem to be on much more friendly terms in Suited for Success than in Look Before You Sleep, so I'd place that episode before it.
    B is before G which is before M.

8. Griffon Brush-off can presumably happen anywhere before Swarm of the Century, where Rainbow Dash reiterates her statement of "You are so random", but I have no specific place to put it.
    D is somewhere before I.

With these things in mind, my current working timeline thus far is(Doesn't include D due to lack of a specific position):

A, B, G, M, F, N, E, C, H, I, L, J, K

Obviously this is still open to much interpretation, but its a work in progress.
    To make that a bit easier to read,
    1) Friendship is Magic
    2) Ticket Master
    3) Look Before you Sleep
    4) Suited For Success
    5) Dragonshy
    6) Feeling Pinkie Kean
    7) Boast Busters
    8) Applebuck Season
    9) Bridle Gossip
    10) Swarm of the Century
    11) Fall Weather Friends
    12) Winter Wrap-up
    13) Call of the Cutie
    Last edited by PhantomFox; 2011-02-13 at 09:28 PM.