New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony V: Art of the Thread

I just read Fair Feather Friends and I have to say it's absolutely fantastic. I was laughing all the way through and Baron Awesome is ...well... awesome. Keep up the good work Bobcat.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    ooo... digital sugary goodness....
    nomnom nom... wait what am I eating?
    Take: one internet. Back for 15 minutes or until edges are brown. Serve as a reward for awesome.

Also, there needs to be an Axe Cop pony, if one does not already exist.

Also, you may ALSO have a digital cookie, Bayonet Priest.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-12 at 06:52 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Morning everypony!

I'm going to try my hoof at some of those dramatic readings I promised today if all goes well. I shall keep you posted.

I'm also taking suggestions, so if anypony has something they want me to read, please ask.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay here is my incomplete, barely finished, first fic ever, adjective lacking, can't write for snot fic.

named Jewels
    Spoiler
    Show

It is common to see Spike stacking or sorting piles of books. The last couple of weeks, Twilight Sparkle had no no adventurous spirit and had been sitting at home with her nose in a book. This kept Spike busy with her messes and unable to read much for himself.
    For reasons unknown, Twilight had little interest in literature today. Spike had a chance to get more than a swift glance in a spellbook and alter his life forever.
    "Transformations and Bindings, Twi, you ever read this one?"
    "A little. Pretty technical stuff. There's a nice spell that create earrings that boost hearing. And one that turn turns pets into ponies. Great if your landmare doesn't allow pets."
    "Pets to ponies." Spike strokes his chin. A smile that does nothing to hid mischief emerges. "Would it work on me?"
    Twilight replies with both shock and laughter "Spike your not a pet, silly."
    "But would it work?"
    "Well let's see. Stand over there." Twilight trots slowly to the piles of books passing Spike who walks to the middle of the room.
    After a quick glance at the book, Twilight wiggles her nose and points her now glowing purple horn at Spike. The horn began glow brighter and fires a magical beam at the purple dragon. After a few seconds, the glow became blinding and then suddenly stopped.
    "Did it work?" shouts Spike.
    "I'll tell you as soon as my eyes stop burning" Twilight grumbles.
    Spike searches around the room for a mirror. With a small hand one in paw, he states at his new purple coat and green mane. "I might have trouble with the mane but I make one hunky pony."
    "Hunky pony?" Twilight's lower lip raises and eyebrows lower. "This request wouldn't have anything to do with Rarity? Would it?"
    Spike chuckles nervously "No. Just want the experience of ponydom."
    "Good thing. Or you would have a problem. Since you were not a fully grown dragon, you kinda are not a grown pony either."
    Spike looked down. His legs were half as long as the spellcaster. He didn't even have a cutie mark. Spike still had to look up to speak to Twilight.
    Spike's jaw dropped "What?! This is terrible!"
    And with that word, the spell falls apart. Spikes arms shrink, his hooves turn back to paws, and his hair is replaced by scales.
    "Looks like the spell fizzles out if your emotions runs high" Twilight strokes her chin. She then rubs her head and lets out an exhausted sigh.
    Spike pleads "Do it again! Cast it again, Twilight. Please"
    "Wish I could, Spike but I'm wiped. I'll try again tomorrow." Twilight replies exhausted. "What use could this spell be? Rarity won't fall for a young colt. It's just looking for trouble."
    "Twi, don't worry about that. You just figure out a way to make this more permanent."
    "But you are a dragon. You should love being one."
    "Pleeease Twilight Sparkle. Do me this favor."
    Exasperated Twilight hooved her face "Fine. but if I can't find a way to make it reversible. I'm not doing it."
    "Thank you, Twilight. Umm can you do me another favor and not tell any of the other ponies."
    "What?!" Twilight jumped back "No. You can't keep this secret."
    "Please Twi." Spike fell to his knees and opened his eyes wide.
    "You have a week. I'm gonna to pretend I never saw you for a few days. But if anypony gives me an accurate description, I'm blowing the secret."
    "Deal"

On the next morning, a young, well combed, purple colt trots proudly down the street in the the direction of Rarity's boutique. Before reaching Sugarcube Corner, he is ambushed by 3 little fillies.
    "Who are you?" Sweetie Belle says.
    "What's your name, stranger?" asks Scootaloo.
    "Never seen ya'll afore" says Apple Bloom
    Spike almost starts to panic but remembers the spell would end if he did. "Name's Sp-T-Thorny. Yeah, Thorny. I'm new to what do you call this place. Ponyville Yeah." says Spike, covering his secret.
    "Look he doesn't even have a cutie mark!" Sweetie Belle yells pointing at Spike's blank flank.
    Apple Bloom moves her eyes close to Spike's side. "His flank is blank like ours!"
    In unison all three ponies scream "He could be a Cutie Mark Crusader like us!"
    Spike knew this was bad. These girls could talk as long as Pinkie Pie and are just as loud, if not louder. Eventually he'll crack and bust the spell. He had to calm them down "I would be honored to join you wonderful fillies but it would be helpful if I knew your names."
    The white filly blushed and crossed her front hooves "My name is Sweetie Belle."
    Spike could her flushing face. He could easily recognize that feeling. It was the same one he felt when he first laid eyes on Rarity.
    A shot grin crept up the side of his face. Spike has lived with ponies most of his life and saw how ponies act around their crushes. Heck he knew how he acted around Rarity. Not once did somepony jump through loops to please him like he does for Rarity. Spike was going to have fun with this. Fortunately he has knowledge on the fillies already and could use this to his advantage somehow

After introductions, the four ponies went straight to play. They raced from Sugarcube Corner to Sweet Apple Acres. They competed at apple picking, food eating, crazy dancing, and backward singing. And with every game, Sweetie Belle's feeling grew. Evertually Apple Bloom developed one too.
    "I say we have another long distance race." shouted Scootaloo.
    "So you can win again. No thanks. Running isn't getting me a cutie mark" Sweetie Belle said with an angry scowl. She turning to Spike walking beside her and sweetly whispered. "How about we let Thorny choose the next activity?"
    Apple Bloom pushed herself between the two ponies. A slight red patch arose for under her olive coat. "Yes, Thorny should decide what's next."
    Spike had it good. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were fighting over him and showering his with whatever attention and gifts a tiny foal could get. Sweetie Belle sang to him. Apple Bloom made him a hammock with built in cupholders. Scootaloo didn't care much and seemed more perturbed than enamored. Her hooves often crossed right under her angry pout.
    But the fillies weren't the only ones who felt new feelings. The spell did more than just transform Spike's outsides, he was altered internally as well. He began to love pony food and no longer had craving for gems. He also saw Sweetie Belle and Applebloom in a new way. He was becoming infatuated with them. It wasn't as much as it was with Rarity, but now he definitely had three ponies in his mind.
    This could compromise the whole mission. If he fell for one of the girls, Spike knew the spell would break. He needed a way to make it more permanent.

"I think I hear my mother calling me. See you later." He says, faking nervousness.
    Sweetie Belle's eye's drop in sadness. "Aaaww. Bye Thorny."
    Aggressively, Apple Bloom tackles Spike from behind "Don't be long now, Thorn."
    "Whatever." snarls Scootaloo.

Spike dashes home at full gallop. He even manages to dodge Pinkie Pie and her non-stop barrage of questions. Upon arriving home, he slams the front door, lets out a heavy sigh, and lets the spell fizzle. "Anything Twilight?"
    The house was a mess. Twilight had been doing some heavy reading and without Spike there to clean up, it got plenty filthy.
    "A jewel from one that cares deeply for you, given a day within the time of creation." She yells from her bed. She had been sleeping and the slamming door woke her.
    "What?"
    "You have to get Rarity to give you a gem for me to create a necklace that would make the spell permanent as long as you wore it.."
    "Perfect. Rarity has a spell specifically for that. All I have to do is get her to give me one, wait a few years, and boom! Mr and Mrs Thorny."
    "Thorny?" Twilight arose from her bed.
    "That's my pony name. Thorny."
    "That's the best you can do. You stink at names." Twilight cracks up from laughter and falls out of her bed. She wipes a tear from her eye and puts on a more serious face. "But seriously, don't you think this is dishonest. You can't lie to your friends. Plus if you even manage to get her to fall for you, she won't even love you. She'll love Thorny."
    "Details" Spike shrugs off.
    TO BE CONTINUED!!!

Here are the chairs for pointing and laughing.

*sets up*
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Okay here is my incomplete, barely finished, first fic ever, adjective lacking, can't write for snot fic.

named Jewels
    Spoiler
    Show

It is common to see Spike stacking or sorting piles of books. The last couple of weeks, Twilight Sparkle had no no adventurous spirit and had been sitting at home with her nose in a book. This kept Spike busy with her messes and unable to read much for himself.
    For reasons unknown, Twilight had little interest in literature today. Spike had a chance to get more than a swift glance in a spellbook and alter his life forever.
    "Transformations and Bindings, Twi, you ever read this one?"
    "A little. Pretty technical stuff. There's a nice spell that create earrings that boost hearing. And one that turn turns pets into ponies. Great if your landmare doesn't allow pets."
    "Pets to ponies." Spike strokes his chin. A smile that does nothing to hid mischief emerges. "Would it work on me?"
    Twilight replies with both shock and laughter "Spike your not a pet, silly."
    "But would it work?"
    "Well let's see. Stand over there." Twilight trots slowly to the piles of books passing Spike who walks to the middle of the room.
    After a quick glance at the book, Twilight wiggles her nose and points her now glowing purple horn at Spike. The horn began glow brighter and fires a magical beam at the purple dragon. After a few seconds, the glow became blinding and then suddenly stopped.
    Spike searches around the room for a mirror. With a small hand one in paw, he states at his new purple coat and green mane. "I might have trouble with the mane but I make one hunky pony."
    "Hunky pony?" Twilight's lower lip raises and eyebrows lower. "This request wouldn't have anything to do with Rarity? Would it?"
    "Good thing. Or you would have a problem. Since you were not a fully grown dragon, you kinda are not a grown pony either."
    Spike looked down. His legs were half as long as the spellcaster. He didn't even have a cutie mark. Spike still had to look up to speak to Twilight.
    And with that word, the spell falls apart. Spikes arms shrink, his hooves turn back to paws, and his hair is replaced by scales.
    "Looks like the spell fizzles out if your emotions runs high" Twilight strokes her chin. She then rubs her head and lets out an exhausted sigh.
    "Wish I could, Spike but I'm wiped. I'll try again tomorrow." Twilight replies exhausted. "What use could this spell be? Rarity won't fall for a young colt. It's just looking for trouble."
    "Twi, don't worry about that. You just figure out a way to make this more permanent."
    Exasperated Twilight hooved her face "Fine. but if I can't find a way to make it reversible. I'm not doing it."
    "Thank you, Twilight. Umm can you do me another favor and not tell any of the other ponies."
    "You have a week. I'm gonna to pretend I never saw you for a few days. But if anypony gives me an accurate description, I'm blowing the secret."
    "Deal"

On the next morning, a young, well combed, purple colt trots proudly down the street in the the direction of Rarity's boutique. Before reaching Sugarcube Corner, he is ambushed by 3 little fillies.
    Spike almost starts to panic but remembers the spell would end if he did. "Name's Sp-T-Thorny. Yeah, Thorny. I'm new to what do you call this place. Ponyville Yeah." says Spike, covering his secret.
    "Look he doesn't even have a cutie mark!" Sweetie Belle yells pointing at Spike's blank flank.
    Apple Bloom moves her eyes close to Spike's side. "His flank is blank like ours!"
    Spike knew this was bad. These girls could talk as long as Pinkie Pie and are just as loud, if not louder. Eventually he'll crack and bust the spell. He had to calm them down "I would be honored to join you wonderful fillies but it would be helpful if I knew your names."
    The white filly blushed and crossed her front hooves "My name is Sweetie Belle."
    Spike could her flushing face. He could easily recognize that feeling. It was the same one he felt when he first laid eyes on Rarity.
    A shot grin crept up the side of his face. Spike has lived with ponies most of his life and saw how ponies act around their crushes. Heck he knew how he acted around Rarity. Not once did somepony jump through loops to please him like he does for Rarity. Spike was going to have fun with this. Fortunately he has knowledge on the fillies already and could use this to his advantage somehow

After introductions, the four ponies went straight to play. They raced from Sugarcube Corner to Sweet Apple Acres. They competed at apple picking, food eating, crazy dancing, and backward singing. And with every game, Sweetie Belle's feeling grew. Evertually Apple Bloom developed one too.
    "So you can win again. No thanks. Running isn't getting me a cutie mark" Sweetie Belle said with an angry scowl. She turning to Spike walking beside her and sweetly whispered. "How about we let Thorny choose the next activity?"
    Apple Bloom pushed herself between the two ponies. A slight red patch arose for under her olive coat. "Yes, Thorny should decide what's next."
    Spike had it good. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were fighting over him and showering his with whatever attention and gifts a tiny foal could get. Sweetie Belle sang to him. Apple Bloom made him a hammock with built in cupholders. Scootaloo didn't care much and seemed more perturbed than enamored. Her hooves often crossed right under her angry pout.
    But the fillies weren't the only ones who felt new feelings. The spell did more than just transform Spike's outsides, he was altered internally as well. He began to love pony food and no longer had craving for gems. He also saw Sweetie Belle and Applebloom in a new way. He was becoming infatuated with them. It wasn't as much as it was with Rarity, but now he definitely had three ponies in his mind.
    This could compromise the whole mission. If he fell for one of the girls, Spike knew the spell would break. He needed a way to make it more permanent.

"I think I hear my mother calling me. See you later." He says, faking nervousness.
    Sweetie Belle's eye's drop in sadness. "Aaaww. Bye Thorny."
    "Whatever." snarls Scootaloo.

Spike dashes home at full gallop. He even manages to dodge Pinkie Pie and her non-stop barrage of questions. Upon arriving home, he slams the front door, lets out a heavy sigh, and lets the spell fizzle. "Anything Twilight?"
    The house was a mess. Twilight had been doing some heavy reading and without Spike there to clean up, it got plenty filthy.
    "A jewel from one that cares deeply for you, given a day within the time of creation." She yells from her bed. She had been sleeping and the slamming door woke her.
    "What?"
    "You have to get Rarity to give you a gem for me to create a necklace that would make the spell permanent as long as you wore it.."
    "Perfect. Rarity has a spell specifically for that. All I have to do is get her to give me one, wait a few years, and boom! Mr and Mrs Thorny."
    "That's the best you can do. You stink at names." Twilight cracks up from laughter and falls out of her bed. She wipes a tear from her eye and puts on a more serious face. "But seriously, don't you think this is dishonest. You can't lie to your friends. Plus if you even manage to get her to fall for you, she won't even love you. She'll love Thorny."
    "Details" Spike shrugs off.
    TO BE CONTINUED!!!

*sets up*
    I'll give it a thorough thrashing editing at some point tonight. I haven't read it yet, but I like the premise enough that I want it to shine all over Eqvestria! It shall have... Ze Magics!

I go!
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-04-12 at 07:31 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Friendship? I think Rainbow Dash knows a song about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8E1...&feature=feedf

... way to get off topic, Dash.
    I feel somewhat awkward listening in on someone singing that. Especially a pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    That reminds me, we haven't had happy Luna in quite long time!

Spoiler
    Show

With a side of Shadowbolts, too!
    This isn't so bad. One must always remember one's crimes. To lament your actions even as you feel them necessary is usually a sign of compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We Approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    "we're robots who make techno music"
    "I'm a pony who breaks reality"

Their powers combined;

That was F*&+)!?# AWESOME!

EDIT: Ja... Jha... Your name is hard to pull out from memory. Jahkaivah distracted me. I almost forgot that this tread
    Needs moar Trixie!

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-12 at 08:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Stupid thread. Already at four pages of reading, and... he ho, what's this?

Brace yourselves ponies because this fan art I came across has got some god damn quality.

Spoiler
    Show
    I...

...what?

Brace yourselves ponies because this fan art I came across has got some god damn quality.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's so...

So...

Spoiler
    Show
    So...

So FABulous, dahling, I mean really! It is quite possibly the most GEORgous piece of art work I've seen related to not only that GEM of a show, My Little Pony: FIM, but, if I may say so, the most delightful Rarity masterwork I have ever seen! You must tell me... who did this?

Last edited by Entertainer13; 2011-04-12 at 08:28 PM.
    Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainer13 View Post
    My Little Pony: FIM, but, if I may say so, the most delightful Rarity masterwork I have ever seen! You must tell me... who did this?
    Welf linked to him.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-04-12 at 08:53 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

PhoeKun, the more I think about it the more I'd like to see one of the two ideas presented given embodiment. Nothing else I've come up with really grabs me.

I just have one caveat that I forgot in my haste- your avatar has to make an appearance, minimum 7 words, and no changing your avatar to make things easier. Doesn't have to be overt, you can Easter-egg her in if you want.

These are our demands, and if they are not answered in the hour, we will begin killing hours, one at a time, until they are met!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've been writing Celestia's Day Off, and I have the first few scenes ready. If you want to read the unfinished and unedited version, it'll be here. Note: I may still be writing, so don't be surprised if it grows or changes while you're reading. Comments welcome if I happen to be writing at the time.

12. - Top - End - #102

I have just finished my first reading, and I'm uploading it to Youtube. I did "Fair Feather Friend" by darthbobcat. I'll link when it's up, but if this is the kind of stuff bronies want to see, do let me know.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    PhoeKun, the more I think about it the more I'd like to see one of the two ideas presented given embodiment. Nothing else I've come up with really grabs me.

I just have one caveat that I forgot in my haste- your avatar has to make an appearance, minimum 7 words, and no changing your avatar to make things easier. Doesn't have to be overt, you can Easter-egg her in if you want.

These are our demands, and if they are not answered in the hour, we will begin killing hours, one at a time, until they are met!
    Heh, heh, looks like you lucked out, Phoe, won't have to write a fanfic for a fan of another fanfic about the second fanfic, continuing the continuation the original author made, with his permission but otherwise not involving him in any way.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Possibly
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-12 at 09:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I have just finished my first reading, and I'm uploading it to Youtube. I did "Fair Feather Friend" by darthbobcat. I'll link when it's up, but if this is the kind of stuff bronies want to see, do let me know.
    I... buh... I... see that floor? That's where I am, having been floored.

So... so what sort of time estimate are we talking here? I just wanna know how often I should be refreshing my youtube page.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-12 at 09:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Possibly
    Heh. Spoke too soon, I guess!
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-04-12 at 09:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Heh, heh, looks like you lucked out, Phoe, won't have to write a fanfic for a fan of another fanfic about the second fanfic, continuing the continuation the original author made, with his permission but otherwise not involving him in any way.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
    Oh no no, that is still one of the possibilities here. I'm just able to choose a (massively) different path if it strikes my fancy. Which... honestly at this point, I'm not sure. I very well might wind up diving all the way down to the bottom of your dreamscape until I pop out the other side of limbo.

And now I have to involve Silver Lining in this somehow? The web grows more twisted with each passing day. I think the folks over at EqD would eat me for lunch if they saw a four winged angel pony, but ok sure. I like a challenge.

18. - Top - End - #108

I... buh... I... see that floor? That's where I am, having been floored.

So... so what sort of time estimate are we talking here? I just wanna know how often I should be refreshing my youtube page.
    261 minutes according to Youtube :P Should have warmed up my voice more because I'm a bit stuttery at the start but I get into it properly after a few minutes.

The read took about 30 minutes total. I wanted to start with something upbeat and from the playground. Plus I'm looking forwards to being able to say the words "Baron Awesome" multiple times.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

261 minutes according to Youtube :P Should have warmed up my voice more because I'm a bit stuttery at the start but I get into it properly after a few minutes.

The read took about 30 minutes total. I wanted to start with something upbeat and from the playground. Plus I'm looking forwards to being able to say the words "Baron Awesome" multiple times.
    But I want my almost exactly one month late birthday present NOOOOOOOOOOW.

Stupid internet. It makes everything that takes more than 5 minutes feel like an eternity.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post

*Snipped to below*

*sets up*
    *Puts on my Rarity Critique Glasses* Okay darling, let's see what we've got here...Forgive me if I go on for a bit darling, I think I got a little carried away with this one.

First, general suggestions....

Spoiler
    Show
    *You could probably use a better introduction to this paragraph. Saying "it is common to see" something really doesn't do much for the reader, except imply that they should already know your story's canon, which they don't. Try describing the treehouse library instead. It'll help draw the reader in.

*I have to point out that you keep drifting into the present tense. Twilight 'points' her horn at Spike. She 'fires' a magical beam, when it should be in the past tense. She pointed her horn or fired a beam. You should check you work for this.

*Seems the the foals develop feelings for Spike pretty quickly, and without any extrapolation as to why. Sweetie Belle at least has some reason to like Spike, having just met a new pony that might look 'cute' to her, but you should try describing exactly how Applebloom develops her feelings. Maybe put a few details into one of their cutie-mark getting events?

*You flop between "Apple Bloom" and "Applebloom" several times. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be one word, but either way, try to be consistent.

*Your Ending needs a bit of work. If you're going for a cliffhanger, have spike shrug off Twilight first, and THEN end on him saying "Details, details..." It gives a better feeling of conclusion while leaving open what's coming next.

Now for some more specific corrections in your writing:
    Spoiler
    Show

It is common to see Spike stacking or sorting piles of books. The last couple of weeks, Twilight Sparkle had no noadventurous spirit and had been sitting at home with her nose in a book.

"Transformations and Bindings,? Twi, you ever read this one?"
    "Pets to ponies." Spike strokes his chin. A smile that does nothing to hide mischief emerges.

"Well let's see. Stand over there." Twilight trots slowly to the piles of books, passing Spike who walks to the middle of the room.

"Please Twi." Spike fell to his knees and opened his eyes wide. A line should be here about Twilight giving in.
    "Deal"

Spike could Word missingher flushing face. He could easily recognize that feeling. It was the same one he felt when he first laid eyes on Rarity.
    A shot grin crept up the side of his face. Spike has lived with ponies most of his life and saw how ponies act around their crushes. Heck, he knew how he acted around Rarity.

Fortunately, he has knowledge on the fillies already and could use this to his advantage somehow

Evertually Apple Bloom developed one too. This is just a little awkward phrasing-wise. Try to make it more clear that Applebloom is developing feelings for Spike.
    "So you can win again? No thanks. Running isn't getting me a cutie mark" Sweetie Belle said with an angry scowl. She turningturned to Spike walking beside her and sweetly whispered. "How about we let Thorny choose the next activity?"

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were fighting over him and showering his him with whatever attention and gifts a tiny foal could get.

"That's the best you can do? You stink at names." Twilight cracks up from laughter and falls out of her bed.

"But seriously, don't you think this is dishonest? You can't lie to your friends.

Hope this helps!

...I hope you do this story justice.

DO. WANT.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-12 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

And now I have to involve Silver Lining in this somehow? The web grows more twisted with each passing day. I think the folks over at EqD would eat me for lunch if they saw a four winged angel pony, but ok sure. I like a challenge.
    *counts* huh. There is indeed a quartet there. Interesting. That may explain the weight towards the top third line, wouldn't it? Two or four, it's well balanced enough not to be an issue. And what happened to "it doesn't leave the playground"?

I need to name my pony. Can't come up with anything good, and initial introductions aside I've spent the last ... *counts again* 20 years as just "The Wizard". I think I will have to petition for help soon.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Speaking of Baron Awesome, I just finished Chapter 3 of Fair Feather Friends. A most excellent read, I must say.

Now if I could just get around to writing my own darn fic... >.>
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2011-04-12 at 10:06 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Speaking of Baron Awesome, I just finished Chapter 3 of Fair Feather Friends. A most excellent read, I must say.

Now if I could just get around to writing my own darn fic... >.>
    It's appropriate that Thanqol is reading it. I started doing Pony Fics after swearing off fanfics forever a while back because Through a Glass Derply was getting so much attention and I wanted a piece of that action.

Also, Orzel, here's my reaming constructive editing of your fic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is common to see Spike stacking or sorting piles of books. The last couple of weeks, Twilight Sparkle had no adventurous spirit and had been sitting at home with her nose in a book. (you shift from present to past tense between two sentences.) This kept Spike busy with her messes and unable to read much for himself.
    For reasons unknown, Twilight had little interest in literature today and instead was leafing through Volume VI of Magic for Eggheads. It was a fateful moment; none of what followed would happened if she'd continued reading Canter Berry's Tales.
    Spike happened to glance over her shoulder. "Transformations and Bindings, Twi? You ever read this one?"
    "A little. Pretty technical stuff. There's a nice spell that creates earrings that boost hearing. And one that turn turns pets into ponies. Great if your landmare doesn't allow pets."
    "Pets to ponies..." Spike strokes his chin. (Again, tense agreement. Pick past or present tense and stick with it. I'd recommend past tense.) A smile that does nothing to hid mischief emerges. "Would it work on me?"
    Twilight replies with both shock and laughter. "Spike you're not a pet, silly."
    "But would it work?"
    "Well, let's see. Stand over there." Twilight trots slowly to the piles of books, while Spike walked to the middle of the room.
    After a quick glance at the book, Twilight wiggles her nose and points her now glowing purple horn at Spike. The horn began glow brighter and fires a magical beam at the purple dragon (two tenses, one sentence). After a few seconds, the glow became blinding and then suddenly stopped.
    Spike searches around the room for a mirror. With a small hand one in paw, he stares at his new purple coat and green mane. "I might have trouble with the mane but I make one hunky pony."
    "Thank you, Twilight. Umm can you do me another favor and not tell any of the other ponies?"
    "Deal!"

The next morning, a young, well combed, purple colt trots proudly down the street in the direction of Rarity's boutique. Before reaching Sugarcube Corner, he is ambushed by 3 little fillies.
    Spike almost starts to panic but remembers the spell would end if he did. "Name's Sp-T-Thorny. Yeah, Thorny. I'm new to... what do you call this place again? Ponyville, yeah." says Spike, covering his secret.
    "Look, he doesn't even have a cutie mark!" Sweetie Belle yells pointing at Spike's blank flank.
    Spike knew this was bad. These girls could talk as long as Pinkie Pie and are just as loud, if not louder. Eventually he'll crack and bust the spell. He had to calm them down. "I would be honored to join you wonderful fillies but it would be helpful if I knew your names."
    Spike could her flushing face. He could easily recognize that feeling (unless he's an empath, he wouldn't be recognizing the feeling, per se, but the expression or her body language). It was the same one he felt when he first laid eyes on Rarity.
    A short grin (strange phrasing. maybe just call it a smirk?) crept up the side of his face. Spike has lived with ponies most of his life and saw how ponies act around their crushes. Heck, he knew how he acted around Rarity. Not once did somepony jump through hoops to please him like he does for Rarity (one sentence, two tenses). Spike was going to have fun with this. Fortunately he has knowledge on the fillies already and could use this to his advantage somehow.

After introductions, the four ponies went straight to play. They raced from Sugarcube Corner to Sweet Apple Acres. They competed at apple picking, food eating, crazy dancing, and backward singing. And with every game, Sweetie Belle's feeling grew. Evertually Apple Bloom developed one too (awkward phrasing).
    "So you can win again? No thanks. Running isn't getting me a cutie mark," Sweetie Belle said with an angry scowl. She turning to Spike walking beside her and sweetly whispered. "How about we let Thorny choose the next activity?" (is whisper the right word? It sounds like she's just lowering her voice because she's feeling embarrassed about being next to Thorny).
    Apple Bloom pushed herself between the two ponies. A slight red patch arose for (from?) under her olive coat. (huh? does that mean that she has a phantom pocket or something?) "Yes, Thorny should decide what's next."
    Spike had it good. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were fighting over him and showering his with whatever attention and gifts a tiny foal could get. Sweetie Belle sang to him. Apple Bloom made him a hammock with built in cupholders. Scootaloo didn't care much and seemed more perturbed than enamored. Her hooves often crossed right under her angry pout. (awkward phrasing. I get the body language you're trying to convey, but "under her angry pout" is a strange way to put it)

Sweetie Belle's eye's drop in sadness. "Aaaww. Bye, Thorny."
    "Whatever," snarls Scootaloo.

"What?"
    "That's the best you can do? You stink at names." Twilight cracks up from laughter and falls out of her bed. She wipes a tear from her eye and puts on a more serious face. "But seriously, don't you think this is dishonest? You can't lie to your friends. Plus, if you even manage to get her to fall for you, she won't even love you. She'll love Thorny."
    "Details." Spike shrugs it off.
    TO BE CONTINUED!!!
    Okay, concluding thoughts:
    This is a pretty good start, especially for a first effort. Here are my suggestions: expand things. This feels a bit rushed. It's a good skeleton that you can flesh out. Add more descriptions of where they are and what they're doing. Add some specific things about what exactly Thorny does that results in the girls getting a crush on him (like, if you show him being fun to hang out with, then you can see why the girls get a crush. Spike's good at eating, so show him doing well at competitive eating). It'd also be helpful to see why he has so little trouble giving up being a dragon. Basically, beyond basic editing stuff like I indicated, expand expand expand. Show me the whys and the details.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-12 at 10:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh no no, that is still one of the possibilities here. I'm just able to choose a (massively) different path if it strikes my fancy. Which... honestly at this point, I'm not sure. I very well might wind up diving all the way down to the bottom of your dreamscape until I pop out the other side of limbo.
    So what you're saying is if I should see an angel-pony crashing through my sleep over the next couple of nights, I shouldn't be too surprised? Just be careful of my cerebral cortex, I keep all my good stuff in there!
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-04-12 at 10:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

That should be highly awesome, and I really hope I get a chance to watch/listen to it soon. And that you do more in the future, because even without hearing your first attempt this is a really fun sounding project and I want to encourage it full tilt.

*counts* huh. There is indeed a quartet there. Interesting. That may explain the weight towards the top third line, wouldn't it? Two or four, it's well balanced enough not to be an issue. And what happened to "it doesn't leave the playground"?

I need to name my pony. Can't come up with anything good, and initial introductions aside I've spent the last ... *counts again* 20 years as just "The Wizard". I think I will have to petition for help soon.
    It's almost assuredly not going to leave the playground. All the same, I spend a lot of time working behind the scenes at Equestria Daily doing work as a story screener and proof reader, so whenever a story comes to mind it's an almost knee-jerk reaction to consider what it would be thought of over there. And if the consensus from here turns out that you guys want it there, over there it shall go.

I'll try to get started on this soon, but fifteen minutes ago I just got re-conscripted for a project I thought I was finished with, so delays are inevitable... sorry.

26. - Top - End - #116

Just did a read of EsperDerek's "Out in the Cold" 'cause I was on a roll. It's gonna be a few hours before upload 'cause Youtube takes forever.

That one was surprisingly fun to do, and I think my voice was definitely better through it.

Only 200 minutes for the first one to finish, on the plus side!

27. - Top - End - #117

Just did a read of EsperDerek's "Out in the Cold" 'cause I was on a roll. It's gonna be a few hours before upload 'cause Youtube takes forever.

That one was surprisingly fun to do, and I think my voice was definitely better through it.

Only 200 minutes for the first one to finish, on the plus side!
    Hey, awesome. I'll definitely have to check out your first reading of Fair Weather Friends when you finally manage to upload it, and look forwards to hearing your take on my story, too!

Y'know, in three hundred years, when you manage to upload it to Youtube. God, that service is so slow.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Fair Feather Friend.

Also, awesome Rarity and Sweetie Belle art. I'm all D'awwww.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-12 at 11:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Fair Feather Friend.
    Damn it! Lemme alone, it's midnight here, I, uh...I got nothin'. Sorry.

30. - Top - End - #120

Spoiler
    Show

I AM ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FOAL!
    PONIES ARE YOUR GENETIC DESTINY!
    WE ARE THE HARBINGER OF YOUR FRIENDSHIP!

Sorry, I was playing ME2 recently so I thought this was hilarious.
    Last edited by Axinian; 2011-04-12 at 11:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.