New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony V: Art of the Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainer13 View Post
    *gasp!* I inspired Iron Hoof! Nooooooooo!
    Good. Now, release you anger and your journey to the Iron Hoof will be compleat!
    Above Us Only Sky

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    On the subject of referencing you though, I feel the need to mention that when I was finishing up Catching Rainbows, I spent several hours doing nothing at the end but looking for ways to insert a 'Miriam' in there somewhere. I wanted to do it so badly. But in the end, nothing I tried sounded even remotely witty, or indeed like anything other than me going "herp derp, I is referencing stuff! 6_9"

So... sorry about that. I know you probably haven't and probably won't read it anyway, but know that I was thinking about you. I tried.
    Save it for the wedding scene

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think there's any references to your stories in Party, but to be perfectly honest I also don't remember there being any references to mine. I may have to (horror of horrors!) read it again. And boy would I hate that.

On the subject of referencing you though, I feel the need to mention that when I was finishing up Catching Rainbows, I spent several hours doing nothing at the end but looking for ways to insert a 'Miriam' in there somewhere. I wanted to do it so badly. But in the end, nothing I tried sounded even remotely witty, or indeed like anything other than me going "herp derp, I is referencing stuff! 6_9"

So... sorry about that. I know you probably haven't and probably won't read it anyway, but know that I was thinking about you. I tried.
    Aw, thanks. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad you didn't do something that'd compromise your creative vision.

And I wanna say again, while I don't read shipping fics as a rule, I did enjoy Fluttering Heart.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-18 at 02:41 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

4. - Top - End - #724

Okay, read Fair Feather Friends p4. First off I have to say

Spoiler
    Show

THAT'S FOR MAKING DERPY CRY

Secondly,

Spoiler
    Show
    Overall, solid. Had good fun reading it ^^

Enjoyed the falcon psychology, loved the Disney Sports Movie reference. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's voices sounded right in my head.

My one concern is that I'm not sure how much longer this kind of peaceful progression can continue; fairly soon I think the story's going to need to present an antagonistic force of some kind. I'm sure you're aware of that, but I think this is almost the perfect moment for 'too good to be true' to start kicking in.

That isn't so much a criticism as a speculation, however

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Okay, read Fair Feather Friends p4. First off I have to say

Spoiler
    Show

THAT'S FOR MAKING DERPY CRY

Secondly,

Spoiler
    Show
    Overall, solid. Had good fun reading it ^^

Enjoyed the falcon psychology, loved the Disney Sports Movie reference. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's voices sounded right in my head.

My one concern is that I'm not sure how much longer this kind of peaceful progression can continue; fairly soon I think the story's going to need to present an antagonistic force of some kind. I'm sure you're aware of that, but I think this is almost the perfect moment for 'too good to be true' to start kicking in.

That isn't so much a criticism as a speculation, however
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh... trust me... I've thought of conflict. I've had it planned since the beginning. You'll have to wait until next time to see exactly what happens, though.

Also, for any beta-readers who came after the fact, here's a slightly revised version of FFF 4.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fair Feather Friend
    Chapter 4
    By BobCat
    Notes: Thanks to my readers for their overwhelming (and shocking) praise for a silly story about Rainbow Dash getting a pet bird. Also, as always, thanks to my beta readers.
    Oh, a couple of quick things that I'm not going to bring up in story, but I want to make sure people know I noticed. Since I've started writing, there have been a few new episodes and they've created a few minor plot holes. For purposes of this story, assume one of Rainbow Dash's parents was an earth pony, hence they lived on the ground and she could have dogs as a filly. She was the "best flyer to come out of Cloudsdale" because she went to camp and/or boarding school there.
    Also, in "Green Isn't Your Color," Bon Bon seemed to have no idea who Rarity was. In my story, she was an old friend of Rarity that she hadn't seen in ages. Since Bon Bon, in both show and fic, is sort of a jerk, just assume she was being rhetorical on the show (as in, the "And you are?" meant "You're no celebrity, I'm after Fluttershy," not, "I do not know you").
    Derpy Hooves hummed a happy little tune as she went about her rounds. For most ponies, Wednesday was the dreaded "hump day," the longest time between weekends, but she had a song in her heart and a spring in her step.
    The wall eyed mailpony had many reasons to be happy. Last week, through the arcane pay schedule of the Equestria Postal Service, she'd somehow earned a raise (apparently some bureaucrat found special significance in serving for 6 years and 3 months). Yesterday had been report card day at school and her daughter, Dinky, had gotten all A's and B's. This meant that Derpy could afford to get Dinky that Mareibu Stacy doll she'd been asking for, and she had a good excuse to get it for her. They'd played dolls for hours the night before, and Derpy had loved every minute of it.
    Today was also orange cranberry muffin day at the bakery, her absolute favorite forever. Even better, she was about to finish her morning route ahead of schedule. She'd be able to take a long lunch today, and maybe visit her friend, the Doctor. He always had such interesting stories to tell, even if half of them sounded like bad science fiction. Yup, everything was coming up Derpy.
    Rainbow Dash looked through the window of her house as Derpy began her approach. "Alright, Baron, this is it. Remember: when I say fetch and point at the mail, you grab the mail in your claws and bring it back, okay?"
    Baron Awesome responded by preening his wing. After a whole morning of fetching rubber balls, he was starting to get sick of the game, even if it let him vent his need to catch small things.
    Rainbow Dash slipped on her slippers, put on her reading glasses, got out a newspaper and sat down in her easy chair. She wasn't actually reading it closely (aside from the headline, "Salmonella Scare Strikes Ponyville Elementary"). It was a ritual she'd often seen her dad do with his dogs, and she'd always wanted to try it.
    The pair didn't have to wait long, as a knock came at the door. "Uh, where's your mail slot? It was here yesterday... right?" Derpy's oddly melodic voice (oddly, given the scuttlebutt about her supposed stupidity) was only slightly muffled by the cloud door.
    Rainbow Dash smirked. It was time for somepony to see the fruits of her labors, and, thanks to some quick cloud-shaping, it was going to be Derpy. "It's unlocked."
    Derpy opened the door, a small stack of letters in her mouth. She said (surprisingly clearly for how full her mouth was), "Good morning, Rainbow Dash. How are... what's that bird doing in here?"
    Rainbow Dash pointed at Derpy. "Baron Awesome, fetch!"
    Baron Awesome was beginning his threat display when he heard the order. He realized why the blue thing had been making him play "kill the ball" all morning. She wanted him to be ready to drive off intruders! With a shriek, he flew at the grey thing, claws first.
    "Guitar sparklers!" When Derpy has agitated, all of those years of speech therapy went out the window... and few would fault her for being freaked out by a sudden falcon attack. She dropped the letters and spun around quickly, trying in vain to flee. In an instant, pegasus and falcon were caught in a whirlwind of claws, feathers, and mail.
    Rainbow Dash was on them in an instant, pulling Baron Awesome off of Derpy. The falcon went limp in her grasp. At least part of his training was sticking. "Oh my gosh, Derpy, are you alright?" At least Derpy wasn’t bleeding, thank Celestia.
    Derpy panted, "Watermelon trombone." Derpy took a deep breath and closed her eyes and counted to ten in her head as she tried to get control of her rebellious tongue. When she opened them again, her world was white and black, as a partially shredded letter had fallen over her eyes. She sat up. "Huh. Rainbow Dash, did you know that you might have already won a million bits?"
    Rainbow Dash closed the door, trapping Baron Awesome in the house. She was at Derpy's side again in two shakes of a mare's tail. She looked unhurt, fortunately. "Um... that's nice?" She was surprised that Derpy was so blasé about the assault.
    Derpy blinked. One eye was on Rainbow Dash, the other on the letter. "Oh, you have to mail in 50 bits to get it, and you only have a one in three billion chance of winning. Sorry to bring you junk again. Our spam filter, Big McAfee, is out with food poisoning. He had some of that bad sushi."
    A thoroughly embarrassed Rainbow Dash helped the blonde pegasus to her hooves. "Are you sure you're alright?"
    Derpy laughed, reared on her hind legs and dusted herself off. "Oh, when you've been a mailpony as long as me, you get used to it. I've been attacked by pets so many times, especially that," Derpy paused to look to make sure that nopony was there to listen to them (despite the fact that they were 50 feet above the ground at the edge of town) before continuing, "obnoxious dog of Bon Bon's." The last part was whispered.
    Rainbow Dash blinked. "Really? I thought Buttons was nice."
    Derpy briefly focused both eyes on Dash, before the right drifted on its own path. "You're kidding, right? He’s always breaking out and then he just makes a beeline for me. I know dogs hate mailponies, but most at least wait until I deliver mail to them! I keep telling Bon Bon to take it to obedience training, but she says he only does it to me and it's because my eyes scare him and..." Derpy visibly deflated as her voice trailed off. "Aw, I made myself sad."
    The two stood awkwardly for a moment. Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head and averted her gaze. "I have no idea what to say about that."
    Derpy sighed. "Well, I guess I'll see you later, Dash. Enjoy your mail... and stuff." The once happy pegasus now looked to be on the verge of tears.
    She turned around and was about to take off, when Dash had a stroke of inspiration. "Wait, Derpy. I have something that might cheer you up."
    As a much happier Derpy winged away, Rainbow Dash went back inside to see Baron Awesome on his perch. A dog would have a, "who me?" look at this point, but the Baron didn't even have the common courtesy to look at her. "I hope you're happy, Baron. Cranberry orange muffin day is only once a month and I just had to give her mine because of you!"
    She may as well have been talking to the perch for all the attention he paid her.
    Dash sighed. "You're right, I shouldn't have yelled." She gave the falcon a rub on the back of the head. This time he responded, leaning into it and closing his eyes appreciatively. "Yeah, you're a good falcon. You just made a bad choice." He squawked happily. "Hm, I bet I know what the problem is. I've had you cooped up in here for a few days now. How about you and me go flying and burn off some of that energy?"
    So, Dash put on her new falconry boots, packed a picnic lunch (various greens, drinks and nuts for her, iced fish for him) and the two went for somewhere private. And Rainbow Dash knew the perfect spot for some obedience training. After all, she had it on the authority of Rarity and the town newspaper that the area around a certain clubhouse in a certain apple orchard was closed due to an outbreak of salmonella...
    Rainbow Dash could hear her father's rich, bass voice in her head as she held out her arm expectantly. "The element of good training is consistency. Never give an order and let it be disobeyed. Use rewards at first, but eventually take them away and let the fact that he's pleased you be the reward."
    Rainbow Dash, voice confident, said, "Come, Baron Awesome!" The Baron dropped from his perch on a nearby apple tree and casually glided down, landing on her arm. He was getting a little bored with the game, but the chunk of trout he got in exchange made it worthwhile. He didn't even notice that she was stroking him as he ate, something that would have seemed impossible yesterday. "Good boy," she said, dropping the "d" as she went into full baby talk mode. "Yeah, that's enough practice for now. Don't want you to get bored, after all." She was nowhere near where she could stop giving him a treat every time. That wouldn't happen for a while, assuming her experience with Rex and the rest of the old pack held true.
    As Dash started packing up the remains of lunch, she heard a buzzing sound in the distance. It almost sounded like... nah, couldn't be.
    And then, the Baron tensed up, glanced over her shoulder, and shrieked. He tried to take off, but Dash, reacting quickly, grabbed him and held him tight. He went limp again, realizing that the blue thing was unhappy with him again for trying to do what she'd spent all morning making him practice. He would really appreciate some consistency.
    Rainbow Dash turned around, being careful to hold Baron Awesome gently, and saw that she'd been right about the source of the noise after all. Scootaloo zipping along on her scooter, her wings buzzing like an outboard motor. She turned it sideways and came to a halt in front of her idol. "Rainbow Dash?"
    Rainbow Dash sputtered, "Scootaloo? What are you doing here? I thought you had food poisoning!"
    Scootaloo blinked. "Why would I have food poisoning?"
    Rainbow Dash, without releasing Baron Awesome, pointed her right hoof at the newspaper. It was now covered in icy fish parts, but the headline about the school was still visible. "That paper said all you kids got sick eating bad sushi!"
    Scootaloo waved that away. "Oh, that. I don't like sushi. I just thought we'd be good at making it." Whatever she was about to say died on her lips. Her face was split by a huge smile as she took off her helmet. "Whoa, is that falcon real?"
    Rainbow Dash tried to come up with a good sounding cover story... but Scootaloo had kind of already seen Baron Awesome. The falcon was out of the bag. "Uh, yeah. His name's Baron Awesome."
    Scootaloo was in full fangirl mode. She squealed happily as she got closer to them. "Oh my gosh, a falcon! And you named him Baron Awesome? That's.. just... whoa! Just when I thought you couldn't get cooler, you had to raise the bar!" She reared up on her hind legs and started jumping from hoof to hoof. "Oh man oh man oh man, can I touch him?"
    Rainbow Dash loved compliments and ponies paying attention to her. Heck, all of her goals and aspirations were based on making sure that as many ponies as possible paid attention to her all the time. But... Scootaloo was starting to weird her out. "Um, I guess? Just calm down first. You're making him nervous."
    Nervous was putting it mildly. This loud orange thing that was reaching out at him was terrifying! He struggled to wriggle out of Dash's grip, but she held firm. The only thing that kept him from deploying his claws was the fact that he had them wrapped around her armored arm as he tried to get enough leverage to escape.
    Rainbow Dash died a thousand deaths in the time it took Scootaloo to touch him. What was she doing? After he attacked Derpy, why the heck was she agreeing to this? She really needed to work on getting her mouth under control when she was nervous.
    Scootaloo seemed oblivious to the danger as she reached out and started stroking the back of his head. "Wow, a falcon! That is so hardcore!"
    The Baron's struggles stopped instantly. What in the... the orange thing was friendly too? Was... was that allowed? It was weird enough that the blue thing took care of him and did his hunting for him. Now there were two weird things that just wanted to touch him so he would feel good? What could they possibly be getting out of it? It was certainly suspicious.
    Rainbow Dash said, "Good boy, Baron."
    Scootaloo giggled. "He's so soft!"
    "I know, right? It took a lot of work, but I civilized him." She was beaming with pride. Not that she forgot her terror and doubt from a moment ago, but clearly she needed to stop underestimating herself.
    Baron Awesome, meanwhile, was beaming with confusion. This situation was absurd! Wait... what if that was why the blue thing was so unhappy when he attacked the grey thing earlier? Hm. The blue thing, the grey thing and the orange thing all looked like the same sort of thing. They all had hooves and wings and long tails. Maybe all of the hoofed things were actually friendly? Was that possible? An entire type of thing that didn't want to eat him, drive him away, or run away from him? But that ran counter to everything he had ever seen or experienced.
    When a relieved Rainbow Dash let him go, he flew up and landed on the bough of a nearby apple tree. He needed to think about this.
    Scootaloo finally got back on all four hooves and started breathing normally. Her eyes widened as she realized that she'd been dorking out right in front of Rainbow Dash. Putting up her best poker face to cover up her embarrassment, she said, "S-so, when did you get him?"
    Rainbow Dash said, "Oh, a few days ago. I found him in the woods. I'm still taming him."
    "A wild falcon?" From his perch, Baron Awesome cringed as Scootaloo did a high pitched fangirl squeal again. "That's. So. Hardcore!" She paused, coughed into her hoof and managed, "S-so why are you out here?"
    "It seemed like a good spot for a picnic and some falconry." Well, more like modified dog training, since Twilight Sparkle's book didn't talk about real falconry much, but having the official word made it sound cooler. "Huh," she muttered to herself, "I guess that's why book ponies make up big words for everything."
    Scootaloo gave an appreciative, "Oooooooh." Scootaloo paused for a moment, and realized what she really wanted to say. As she spoke her throat seized up and she barely managed to say, "C-can I hang out with you two? It's cool if you say no, I know you're really busy and everything."
    Her tone of voice told Rainbow Dash that the little filly was expecting a no. The blue pegasus shrugged. "Sure, why not?" She gestured towards the picnic basket and blanket. "Want some lemonade? It's home made. Just... don't tell Applejack who sold me the lemons."
    The young orange pegasus pumped her arm excitedly. "Best. Day. Ever!"
    "So there I was!" Rainbow Dash was hovering in the air, reenacting her story as Scootaloo hung on her every word. "It was the bottom of the second quarter with two minutes to go. Hoops got tackled and lost the ball, but I caught it before it hit the ground, beating their fastest flyers! I used the momentum from the dive to do an awesome loop up towards the goal. But then their biggest blockers were coming at me from all sides!"
    Rainbow Dash wondered if it hurt Scootaloo to smile that hard. The orange pegasus asked, "What'd you do? What'd you do?"
    Rainbow Dash crossed her arms and flashed the little filly her smuggest grin. "Well, most ponies would have tried to go around and risk getting tackled, but Aunt Petunia's favorite purple eyed niece never does things the boring way! I was still going at top speed from my swoop, see. So, I used my speed and all that time I spend playing pinball to good use. I hit the first one juuuust right so I bounced off into his buddy, then I bounced again into the other buddy and zoom! Right over the goal line for the winning goal!" She threw her arms up and started doing a victory dance, a reenactment of the one she'd done oh so many years ago. "And the announcer was all, 'The Mongooses win! The Mongooses win! For the first time in 30 years, the Mongooses beat the Tigers for the Junior Aerial Rugby championship!"
    Scootaloo, forgetting herself again, started hopping up and down. "Woo! Mongooses win! Yeah!" Unfortunately, she kicked over the lemonade pitcher in the process. "Oh crud! I'm sorry Rainbow Dash! I'll try to save it!" She got a napkin from the picnic basket and started desperately trying to blot up the lemonade from the ground.
    Hiding a look of disgust as Scootaloo started frantically squeezing the napkin's brown contents back into the pitcher. Rainbow Dash reached over and messed up Scootaloo's hair. "Nah, it's fine, we were done with it anyway." Well, now they were, anyway. Dash considered telling her to calm down... but who was she to stand in the way of worship of the greatest flyer to ever come out of Cloudsdale?
    Scootaloo's eyes were full of love and adoration. "You're so awesome! And... and..." Her face fell as she saw that the sky was turning orange. "Oh crap oh crap oh crap!" She grabbed her helmet and ran up the ramp into the Crusaders' clubhouse.
    Rainbow Dash blinked in confusion. In an instant, Scootaloo was back with her helmet on and her saddlebags full of books. Without pausing to take any breaths, she said, "Sorry Dash I remembered why I came out here! Sweetie Belle forgot her schoolbooks in the clubhouse and she said she was feeling good enough to do her homework and I forgot the time and she's gonna kill me but it was great hanging out and I think you're the coolest also your bird is nice see you later!" Without waiting to get a reaction from Dash, Scootaloo buzzed away as fast as her little wings would carry her.
    Rainbow Dash shook her head and chuckled. "Man, she's just like me at that age. It's kinda spooky." She started cleaning up their picnic lunch. "Still, she's a cool little kid. She's gonna go places." She called out, "Baron Awesome, come!"
    The Baron had fallen asleep on his perch in the apple tree. Upon hearing his name, he swooped down and landed near Dash. He opened his mouth expectantly.
    Dash flipped him the last chunk of fish. "There you go, buddy. Good boy for not flying off while I told Scoots my awesome story." She took a moment to give him a scratch before finishing up her packing. "Also good boy for not disemboweling her and getting me in trouble. That's also important." She realized that she'd just used the word "disemboweling." "Maybe I should lay off the heavy reading. It's starting to do funny things to my words."
    Despite her reservations about her growing vocabulary, that night found Rainbow Dash flipping through the books she'd checked out, waiting to get sleepy. Fortunately, the technical details in her book on veterinary medicine were proving to be better than sleeping pills. She gave a loud yawn and closed it halfway through the section on roundworm. "Ugh, nature's gross. That's a heck of a note to end the night on."
    Baron Awesome was already asleep on his perch. Dash gave him a quick pet and said, "Rest up, Baron Awesome. Tomorrow's the big day. You're gonna meet all my friends! We already have two ponies around who know about you, so if I'm gonna get to be the one to tell them, it's gotta be soon. Sweet dreams, buddy."
    The Baron continued to snooze peacefully. Soon, Rainbow Dash had joined him in dreamland.
    Pinkie Pie was again exploring the dreamscapes of her friends. They were being boring tonight, though. Twilight kept dreaming about showing up to school in her underwear (a nightmare she often replayed, but one that Pinkie had never understood), Rarity was reenacting some trashy romance novel (with herself as the lead, of course) and Applejack was reliving the terror of giving some sort of speech to Apple Bloom's class. Why were all of her friends being all scared and boring tonight?
    "I know," Pinkie said. "I'll see what Dash is up to! She's always having some sort of awesome dream!" With a flex of her imagination, she was dressed like a pirate. She pierced the realm between dreams. "Arr and avast, Rainbow Dash! I'm here to..."
    Her piratical speech died on her lips as she saw exactly what Dash was already dreaming about. She and Baron Awesome were flying through the clouds. Pinkie Pie couldn't remember the last time she'd heard Dash laugh that much. After a few loops, tricks and midair hugs, the two flew out of sight, leaving the sounds of laughter and the trail of a rainbow in their wake.
    "Aw, she's so happy. I guess I won't mess with her dream tonight." She kicked a dream rock. "Fiddlesticks. I wanted to be the Dread Pirate Pinkie so much. Maybe Apple Bloom's up for an adventure?" She proceeded to hop across the landscape of Rainbow Dash's dream... and then it was if she had never been there at all.
    End Part 4
    To be continued
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-18 at 03:34 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

More happiness?

Spoiler
    Show

You know guys, about all that has been said recently (about automatically not giving chance some stories if they include 'wrong' elements) - why? Are these things so bad for you you wouldn't read them even if the story was excellent?

I can only say for myself, but I'd read anything, as long it was well written why all the hate for OCs, shipping, humans, subversions, etc in the stories?

You know, I was considering writing a small story as subversion to the whole iron hoof business, with Celestia as a fair constitutional monarch that never bends the laws despite being expected to do so, with one or two OCs driving the conflict, and a bit of interaction between her and the main cast - but seeing the number of flags raised by this apparently no one would read it
    Above Us Only Sky

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    More happiness?

Spoiler
    Show

You know guys, about all that has been said recently (about automatically not giving chance some stories if they include 'wrong' elements) - why? Are these things so bad for you you wouldn't read them even if the story was excellent?

I can only say for myself, but I'd read anything, as long it was well written why all the hate for OCs, shipping, humans, subversions, etc in the stories?

You know, I was considering writing a small story as subversion to the whole iron hoof business, with Celestia as a fair constitutional monarch that never bends the laws despite being expected to do so, with one or two OCs driving the conflict, and a bit of interaction between her and the main cast - but seeing the number of flags raised by this apparently no one would read it
    I can only speak for myself, but I'm generally uninterested in shipping stories in just about any fandom I've ever participated in. Also, I watch the show for ponies, not (typically, though not always) awkward self insertions of humans in the ponyverse.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

So, that's one reader less?

No, there are no humans at all in the plan.
    Above Us Only Sky

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

So, that's one reader less?

No, there are no humans at all in the plan.
    Post it and I'll give it a shot. Playing with the Iron Hoof idea in the way you're describing sounds interesting. Also, I wasn't the one poo pooing OC's, I was the one paranoid because a future idea involved them and I thought others would.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-18 at 03:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #730

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh... trust me... I've thought of conflict. I've had it planned since the beginning. You'll have to wait until next time to see exactly what happens, though.

Also, for any beta-readers who came after the fact, here's a slightly revised version of FFF 4.
    Baller, thought so Wanted to throw that out there just in case.

I'm sorry I'm not in editing mode today so I don't have much of a mind to give further specifics.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Banned

Aw, thanks. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad you didn't do something that'd compromise your creative vision.

And I wanna say again, while I don't read shipping fics as a rule, I did enjoy Fluttering Heart.
    huh. This is still in the reply, even after the board maintenance. Neat.
    Well, Irbis covers my question for me.

More happiness?

Spoiler
    Show

Go ahead, I'd check it out. I guess where different people draw the line is different. I normally don't care for shipping, but the works have been good enough that I look past it. But I don't like crossing in other medusa, so I guess it's understandable.
    Still, don't let someone poo-poo'ing a topic at large stop a good idea if you have one.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Can someone post the "Welcome to the Herd" pic again? I've got a friend who just started watching recently.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Well, basically, the fact is, there's a limit on the time one can allot to reading fanfic, and a lot of said fanfics. This means people tend to discriminate, and will therefore tend to read the ones who deal with themes that they find interesting and ignore the ones that don't. I know that I, for example, will tend to pass a story that is primarily focused in shipping unless I'm told by several people that it's good on its own merits - I'm not interested in shipping, therefore, there is a lowered probability that stories based on shipping will interest me, and spending time reading stuff (in a non-native language, too) that has a great probability of not being interesting to me has all the chances of being a waste of time. Yes, sometimes some stories are good enough on their own, and then I would not mind reading them... but unless prompted by several second opinions, I'm unlikely to even try, because most stories are average, and while a middling story dealing with stuff I'm interested in will be an enjoyable read, a middling story dealing with stuff I don't like is going to feel like I just wasted the last fifteen minutes.

That explain it?

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

edit: Just got an e-mail from Sethisto requesting pre-reading on Raz_Fox's All Hallow's Night. All of my worlds are colliding.
    (...the link should work now. I forgot to set it to Public because I'm a derp)

What are the chances that that was done on purpose? Aha. Seriously, though, that's rather funny.

Oh, and you've got a weird h.k. attached to the end of your post-
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

So. I'm going to be extremely busy past few next days, so it would be nice if someone PMed, IMed, or mailed me once we reach page 46-48. Just saying.

Also, while I try to keep thread names in popular vote, I had received two proposals I liked very much and I'd like to use at least one of them. So... I'll have to ponder that issue for a bit.

Next, on the issue raised in this thread - someone asked why people do all these things? Iron hoof, sad Trixie's past, giving everyone depth? I think Irbis is right here - the show is, if you think about it, rather shallow when it comes to characters outside main six. Who we have there, really? Inept dragon sidekick who mainly taunts TS and sends letters, one-dimensional braggart illusionist who is acceptable target to taunts from the main caste, rude-mode-only griffon, or evil-for-lulz princess who doesn't have real motivation or anything. All are dropped once her usefulness for the plot ends, even Luna, thought that makes little sense. And these four stand miles above the rest of the cast.

Don't understand me wrong, but what fans do to these... I think it's adults taking these characters and trying to make them 'adult'. To keep them on their level. Because, deep down, this is really a show mostly for kids only. All the fans do to them - writing all these backstories, pictures, etc, I think it's all yearning for adult content to accompany all this animation and songs. I mean, Esper, I love your work, but your Trixie and Luna have nothing to do with the show. They are not one dimensional foils for the main cast. 'Miriam' Dash? She isn't the pony from the show, who doesn't even get a sister because it would be bad for kids. Dash running that mystical race from pages back and trying to adopt a falcon? Nope, no real relevance to show there either. Which is a pity.

But, you know, to be honest, I think it's a good thing they don't. I think all these characters are, indeed, better than their show counterparts. The one Dash/Shy pairing from last pages? Is gives them much more character and flavor than the show in its current formula ever could. If only that wasn't true... If only it didn't shied from half of the fanbase...

Oh, well, I think I'm going all sentimental again. Sorry for wasting your time

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Too... much? [/uncomprehending]
    Any amount above zero is too much. (Btw that was a quote from my future autobiography "Nothing interesting ever happened in my life"). For more prove, see below:

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Good sir, I shall have you know that I also watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for the plot.
    Spoiler
    Show

For the plot.
    I wish that wasn't so funny so I could stop reading those.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    We forgive you, as you gave us an adorable new OP image.
    Also, I think you're right.
    Last edited by Welf; 2011-04-18 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #737
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't understand me wrong, but what fans do to these... I think it's adults taking these characters and trying to make them 'adult'. To keep them on their level. Because, deep down, this is really a show mostly for kids only. All the fans do to them - writing all these backstories, pictures, etc, I think it's all yearning for adult content to accompany all this animation and songs. I mean, Esper, I love your work, but your Trixie and Luna have nothing to do with the show. They are not one dimensional foils for the main cast. 'Miriam' Dash? She isn't the pony from the show, who doesn't even get a sister because it would be bad for kids. Dash running that mystical race from pages back and trying to adopt a falcon? Nope, no real relevance to show there either. Which is a pity.

But, you know, to be honest, I think it's a good thing they don't. I think all these characters are, indeed, better than their show counterparts. The one Dash/Shy pairing from last pages? Is gives them much more character and flavor than the show in its current formula ever could. If only that wasn't true... If only it didn't shied from half of the fanbase...

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I would like actually expand your theory, based on my own observations.

One of the things I've observed about fandoms in general is that, in many ways, fanworks are done to explore themes and plots that a normal show would never really touch. That's part of the nature of the beast when you're dealing in mass media, there are limitations due to the format, due to your advertisers, due to the fact you only have 22 minutes per show, due to the fact that there are a dozen different writers each writing scripts, due to your budget being pathetically small for what you want to do, due to your bosses breathing down your neck to get the audience that they are aiming for, due to those people who phone the FCC when their kids hear swearing, due to the fact that you absolutely need to churn out 13 episodes by a far too close date in time.

Now, I love television dearly, it's my job, but 90% of the time, it's innately shallow. It has to be. Particularly childrens programming, as it is even heavier protected than normal. Even a high-quality show, like Friendship is Magic, has certain limitations. You'll never see Applejack and Rainbow Dash exploring the magic of love with each other, because of those limits. Hell, look how hard it is for homosexual relationships to be displayed on prime time television, particularly as anything more than a joke or a stereotype.

Of course, this exploration isn't necessarily always a good thing. I was a part of the fanfic MSTing crowd waaayy back in the late 90s/early 2000s, and there was an awful lot of, well, perturbing fanfics, badly written fanfics, stupid fanfics. All of those legendary bad fanfics that you might have heard about? I was there when they came out. (I am now showing how old I actually am.) Friendship is Magic is actually blessed in that way, because the quality of fan work is incredibly high on the most part. I mean, sure, there's trash, but the quality to trash ratio for FiM is stunningly high. I mean, hell, just look at all the fanfics that comes from this forum alone. Phoes work, FFF, Raz_Foxes stuff, and hell, I'll toot my own horn and say my stuff too. Anyone else I'm missing, your stuff is awesome as well.

That's part of the attraction of fandom. The social aspect, the exploration of the world aspect. I mean, am I foolish enough to believe that, in television, Trixie will come back, have some sort of sad backstory, and then maybe get into a relationship with Twilight? No, of course not. You're absolutely right, the Trixie and Luna I wrote are not a part of the show, they will never be a part of the show. We'll at least see Luna again, but heaven knows if we'll ever see Trixie again. They won't be anything like what I wrote, even if/when they reappear.

But I owe the show, not just because I like it as a show, I really, really do, despite the limitations, but it's literally the first show that I wanted to not just be just a hanger-on in the fandom, quiet in the corner, but actually contribute. I wrote Out In The Cold because the show, the fandom, inspired me.

So, I guess my point is, don't worry about being too sentimental, because I am, too.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-04-18 at 08:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #738

I'm going to +1 all that, and add a fragment of my own philosophy. Good writing inspires good writing. Regardless of source, regardless of canon, regardless of anything. Good writing is always an unambiguous force for good. It builds up on itself, travelling in circles and manifesting in ways you would not have expected.

For proof of this concept, I give you MLP : FIM. It's good writing, even though it's My Little Goddamn Pony, and the stuff it has inspired in it's turn is absolutely incredible. And, in turn, some of the fanfic produced is good writing even though it's My Little Goddamn Pony Slashfic. And the stuff inspired by that stuff will keep cycling on and building up on itself.

My point is, good writing is never wasted. Even if the concepts bandied about in fanfiction are not and will never be viable for the show. It all adds to a wonderful buildup of momentum. I know when I'm writing my magnum opus in the distant future it's gonna be inspired, at least in part, by the experiences of this fandom. Don't worry about if any of this stuff relates to the show at all. If it's good, that is all it needs to be.

19. - Top - End - #739

I'm going to +1 all that, and add a fragment of my own philosophy.
    EsperDerek-Thangol Double Combination Atttacccckk!
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-04-18 at 09:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #740

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    EsperDerek-Thangol Double Combination Atttacccckk!
    Misspelling Thanqol's name -20,000 point botch multiplier!

21. - Top - End - #741

Misspelling Thanqol's name -20,000 point botch multiplier!

DAMN IT! Man, and I was being all philosophical and stuff.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-04-18 at 09:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post

DAMN IT! Man, and I was being all philosophical and ****.
    I'm not actually annoyed by this typo, but I am amazed how consistently it happens, and how it only started happening with this particular fandom.

Is there some guy named Thangol out there? Is he my evil opposite? Do I have to kill him to get the rights to my name back?

Damn you, Thangol! One day, we shall have a reckoning!

EDIT: Google Image Search informs me Thangol is either a blonde chick, an 80's businessman or a fat guy who seems to have stolen my hat.

subedit: whoops should have checked if mups were OK by the rules first
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-04-18 at 09:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743

More happiness?

Spoiler
    Show

I usually won't read stories involving shipping, mostly because I'm simply not interested. Even with other shows and books, I'm not really a fan of romance, and the characters being ponies with the mentality of teenagers in a show made for small children just ups the 'weird' factor to the point where no matter how good the fic is, I probably just won't enjoy reading it.

But I don't mind OCs at all, and I would totally read that story.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Would you guys be interested in seeing a more sanely laid-out creation process for a pony? I can probably repurpose my myriad bits and pieces everywhere into something more coherent at the end.
    Wholehoofedly looking forward to it. ^^

[SPOILER]

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    This is now saved on my computer. I shall read it. I SHALL.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm generally uninterested in shipping stories in just about any fandom I've ever participated in. Also, I watch the show for ponies, not (typically, though not always) awkward self insertions of humans in the ponyverse.
    Not even really well-written ones? I'll admit I didn't have high hopes for it, but The Party Never Ended was a really great fic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Can someone post the "Welcome to the Herd" pic again? I've got a friend who just started watching recently.
    Yes.

Spoiler
    Show

Haven't got any more to add to this, so I'm just going to add another +1 Agree. And a +1 we love you to Trixie.

Edit: Also, I love the OP pic so much, I'm saving it.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-18 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post

Edit: Also, I love the OP pic so much, I'm saving it.
    Assuming we're talking about the same one, I agree.

*saved*

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Draft one of my little side project is finished; link because I exported at around 800 pixels. Not entirely satisfied with the eyes, which is bad because they're the most important part. Suggestions appreciated.

I need to review some Python now, so the time-lapse image probably won't go up this morning...which means it's quite possible it won't go up for a while since it should be lower priority than the Pony Week banner. Which is to say ... no promises on delivery there.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-04-18 at 11:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not actually annoyed by this typo, but I am amazed how consistently it happens, and how it only started happening with this particular fandom.
    *yawn* Consistently? Try my name, 5 simple letters, 4 even, if you count duplicates, and since the beginning of this thread, it had been correctly spelled once. *angry glare at certain two ponies*

BTW, mups?

BTW 2, posters just above, you are both talking about that crazy cat lady one, yes?
    Above Us Only Sky

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I just have to clear this up for myself: In the OP pic, the red... that isn't blood, is it?

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I just have to clear this up for myself: In the OP pic, the red... that isn't blood, is it?
    Nope. It's a blanket/comforter/whatever you want to call it.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    It's not supposed to be. There's a recolor floating around where it was changed to a more purplish color to avoid confusion.