New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIV: Boots on Hooves / Bikinis on Top

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Wasn't this examples of "unfortunate implications" behind AJ's actions? These actions being that she openly heckles showpeople that she doesn't have to watch if she doesn't want to (she doesn't even live in the town proper) and is racist (moreso than anyone else in the episode, with the possible exception of Pinkie), respectively. That these are good examples of her character is what bothers Trixie (presumably).
    Maybe? ^^"

It's just that her treatment of Trixie, Rarity and Zecora, all three for different reasons was wrong and unjust (IMHO) every time. There were more examples, these were just the most prominent, though I suppose she is learning slowly.

...which is worse when you consider two things the show omits, sort of tied into her base concept.

Had she been just just open, hard working girl, I'd like her much more, sadly :(
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

If you're more up for Rules Lite, Wushu is fun. http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/WushuOpenRules and it's free.

Basically, in Wushu, you never fail. You just declare what you're going to do and it happens; it's a matter of how effective it is. The more creative the GM thinks your ideas are, the more dice you get to roll.

@ Trixie: Eh. Might just be bias, but every time I watch the episode, I don't really feel for Trixie (though I think she got the raw deal at the hooves of Snips and Snails, definitely. They were the REAL villains). Rarity treated her badly too, and Zecora was treated badly by the whole town.

In fact, I'm going to rewatch the scene now. First reaction to Trixie?

Rarity: My my my. What boasting.
    Applejack pushed nopony to anything. Rainbow Dash boasted, Applejack glared at her silently, and then to cover herself, Dash booed on her own; Applejack was grousing about Trixie's boasting, but was just keeping it between her and the group of friends.

So really, what this proves is that Rainbow Dash is an impulsive jerk at times. Which we already knew anyway.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-11 at 06:16 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Just in case anyone's curious, here's my list.

1) Twilight Sparkle
    2) Fluttershy
    3) Applejack
    4) Rarity
    5) Pinkie Pie
    6) Rainbow Dash

Twilight, Fluttershy, and Applejack are actually tied at first. Applejack used to be tied at first with Fluttershy, alone.

Twilight kinda grew on me as the show progressed. She had been tied at 3rd with Pinkie Pie. But Rarity moved up after a Diamond Dogs and Pinkie Pie just slowly moved down. She is funny and silly. But she is also on occasion silly and annoying. So now Rarity and Pinkie Pie are tied at 4th.

As for Rainbow Dash... She's always remained last. I don't hate her. And she has developed more near the end. But she stays where she is.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2011-07-11 at 06:17 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, it occurs to me. This is actually a sign that the characters are good and varied (the fact that we've been arguing about which ones are best). There's nopony I'd want off the show, even at their most annoying, because they're inherently interesting to watch. Heck, as much as I rag on Twilight, I don't see the show being the same without her as she is now.

It's just that the characters are flawed in realistic ways that draw or repel people differently.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

5. - Top - End - #995
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Wasn't this examples of "unfortunate implications" behind AJ's actions?
    Aha, I see what you mean now.

Yes, Applejack was wrong to just disregard Rarity, to call Zacora evil, and to heckle Trixie (although the last did have it coming). However, she's hardly alone in the blame - Rarity was just as wrong in her treatment to Applejack, the entire town thought the same of Zacora, and Applejack wasn't the only one provoking Miss Great and Powerful.

Furthermore, there is one thing that makes these events very important: They show change. They show Applejack having a personality and developing it through the series. At the beginning of the episode, she's arrogant and full of herself, and is forced to admit she is wrong and change her ways at the end. (Well, except the Trixie example.) I wouldn't be so interested in the series if all the characters stayed the same in every episode and nothing had any effect on their personalities. I especially would become bored if the entire main characters were "correct" all the time and simply had to deal with bigotry or ignorance from unimportant secondary cast members.

Having these issues come from the main cast members themselves - and having them change and correct their attitudes because of it - is what makes Friendship is Magic worth watching for me. I guess what some people see as bad stereotypes, I see as a good chance to overcome those stereotypes.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Nobody came out of that episode looking good except for Apple Bloom and, to a lesser extent, Twilight. It just seems unfair that Applejack gets singled out for it more than the others.
    She singled out herself. It's one thing for Fluttershy to say 'she's mysterious' and 'what if she digs for innocent creatures?' and AJ's insistence she kidnaps kids, 'she ain't natural' and claiming she is evil because AJ never saw anyone like her. Compared to Rarity/Fluttershy, AJ is the only one who sounds serious and not scared for sake of a joke, repeatedly tells the only pony (AB) who was right to shut up, and even whips Twilight into compliance by peer pressure.

Applejack pushed nopony to anything. Rainbow Dash boasted, Applejack glared at her silently, and then to cover herself, Dash booed on her own; Applejack was grousing about Trixie's boasting, but was just keeping it between her and the group of friends.
    Peer pressure. What was RD supposed to do? Attack AJ? We're talking about deliberately (as AJ definitely knows how to push RD's buttons, as seen in FWF) pushing someone so scared about fitting in she is willing to hang out with Gilda into compliance, which wasn't nice. RD went neutral on the subject before to booing, basically, the whole thing left sour taste in my mouth :/

And yes, Rarity wasn't too good in both of these scenes, either, but turning her into bland comic relief (not liking Zecora because of her fashion sense and the most boastful mare not liking boasting) did much to alleviate my criticism.

But I guess I'm not going to convince you, so I'll stop here :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

7. - Top - End - #997
    Barbarian in the Playground

In other news the Mlp-FiM group is currently the most popular group on Deviant Art. So anypony looking for ideas, fics, and pics... They have some REALLY good stuff! like the currently featured Art
    Spoiler
    Show

ALSO!: Who here would LOVE an episode of MLP to start off. "Dear Princess Celestia,
    The town of Ponyville... IS UNDER ATTACK! ---------"

Anypony? nopony? Oh Come on!
    Last edited by Rebelhero; 2011-07-11 at 06:36 PM.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    She singled out herself. It's one thing for Fluttershy to say 'she's mysterious' and 'what if she digs for innocent creatures?' and AJ's insistence she kidnaps kids, 'she ain't natural' and claiming she is evil because AJ never saw anyone like her. Compared to Rarity/Fluttershy, AJ is the only one who sounds serious and not scared for sake of a joke, repeatedly tells the only pony (AB) who was right to shut up, and even whips Twilight into compliance by peer pressure.

Peer pressure. What was RD supposed to do? Attack AJ? We're talking about deliberately (as AJ definitely knows how to push RD's buttons, as seen in FWF) pushing someone so scared about fitting in she is willing to hang out with Gilda into compliance, which wasn't nice. RD went neutral on the subject before to booing, basically, the whole thing left sour taste in my mouth :/

And yes, Rarity wasn't too good in both of these scenes, either, but turning her into bland comic relief (not liking Zecora because of her fashion sense and the most boastful mare not liking boasting) did much to alleviate my criticism.

But I guess I'm not going to convince you, so I'll stop here :P
    Yeah, I agree to disagree.

(though I'd say the glare wasn't "agree with us," it was "who's better than who, Dash?")

@ Rebelhero: Twilight's sad because she's sand.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-11 at 06:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #999

I think the thing people like about Trixie is the blank slate for her actual personality. The stage ponysona is one-dimensional crazy, but look at it this way: the town got a show free of charge, and she likely sold some bobbleheads after the show. What Trixie is actually like, nopony knows.

The Great and Powerful Trixie is likely something that works for Trixie because ponies love to hate her.

edit- and yes I'm well aware that this means having another Trixie episode may ruin the character
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-07-11 at 06:38 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think the thing people like about Trixie is the blank slate for her actual personality. The stage ponysona is one-dimensional crazy, but look at it this way: the town got a show free of charge, and she likely sold some bobbleheads after the show. What Trixie is actually like, nopony knows.

The Great and Powerful Trixie is likely something that works for Trixie because ponies love to hate her.

edit- and yes I'm well aware that this means having another Trixie episode may ruin the character
    .....Do ponies have bobbleheads?

I do, however support the notion that off the stage she tones down the whole GREAT AND POWERFUL sthick a bit. She would still have traces but not as dire.
    Last edited by Shadowy; 2011-07-11 at 06:40 PM.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

11. - Top - End - #1001

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowydragon View Post
    Great and powerful ones.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

I think we saw a hint of the real Trixie as soon as she started calling herself "I" instead of "The Great and Powerful Trixie." She's somepony who talks a good game, but at the end of the day knows she's an illusionist, not a combat mage, and got swept up in events beyond her.

And this isn't a slam on Trixie. I don't hold it against Johnny Depp that he couldn't really fight a kraken, or against Arnold Schwarzenegger for not being a cyborg.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Troll in the Playground

And Pinkie Pie, the most comical, and also mysteriously mystical, of all ponies didn't say anything awful that could have convinced everyone that Zacora was evil? I seem to remember a little song that said something about Zacora doing an evil dance, putting ponies in a trance, and making soup out of them?

Being that Pinkie Pie, we later learn, is the one who can mystically predict things by twitchy body parts, wouldn't it be safe to assume that Pinkie Pie is the start of all the bad rumors? That Applejack, in her own way, is the victim, because she trusted Pinkie's instincts?

Also, Applejack is the only one in that episode trying to protect a loved one, Apple Blossom. That can lead to bad judgement, as you don't have time to think things through clearly.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2011-07-11 at 06:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Leo/Nightscream Convo:
    *Nightscream relaxes a bit* Nah, it was only an assumption based on the name. And when we get to town, leave her with me, ill be staying until nightfall so maybe i can get something out of her. My companion would be able to help her better then i could... but he just sorta poofed away. I've got NO idea where he went. i worry about him. he thinks a little to much in a land that makes no sense at all. If you happen to run into a Ponyard Kipling. Tell him to poof his plot back here before i find him and drop him off a cliff.
    Leo laughs again. "You know what they say when you assume, don't you?" He shakes his head. "Oh no, I couldn't impose on you for something like that. I'd much rather see if someone here knows who she is and can help her. Thank you for your offer however, and I will be on the look out for your friend."

Arnold Schwarzenegger for not being a cyborg.
    [Citation Needed]
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post

[Citation Needed]
    Quick, this needs that macro of the Citizen Kane clap!
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-11 at 06:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1006

GnomeWizardGuy

I do, however support the notion that off the stage she tones down the whole GREAT AND POWERFUL sthick a bit. She would still have traces but not as dire.
    I have the impression that Trixie, if we met her again, wouldn't even recognize the main cast and wouldn't recognize the name Ponyville. She's been to a large number of towns and likely just remembers it as "that one town with the Ursa".

The boasting is most likely just part of her act; ponies pay to see The Great and Powerful TRIXIE!, not some blue mare good with card tricks. They may even be truely amazing card tricks, but ponies are more likely to remember shouting and fireworks when thinking of who to hire for their foal's birthday party.

(Ironically enough, Trixie would likely get a lot of grief if she did try traditional conjuration tricks. Producing a dove from a hat or making a quarter disappear might be neat for you or me, or for an earth pony, but a unicorn would be accused of just casting a spell to accomplish it.)

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    [Citation Needed]
    If he is a cyborg, he isn't a very good one, because he needs power armor to fight crime.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Barbarian in the Playground

And this isn't a slam on Trixie. I don't hold it against Johnny Depp that he couldn't really fight a kraken, or against Arnold Schwarzenegger for not being Mr. Freeze.
    I just felt Arnold's best role needed to be more appreciated.
    Last edited by dromer; 2011-07-11 at 07:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    If he is a cyborg, he isn't a very good one, because he needs power armor to fight crime.
    That's a cartoon, not real life. It's clearly not accurate. It doesn't even have ponies in it.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    It's ice of you to comment. You're right, my tone was overly frigid; I froze out the greatest villain to ever grace the silver screen. He skated into our hearts and took up residence in a memey igloo.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

It's ice of you to comment. You're right, my tone was overly frigid; I froze out the greatest villain to ever grace the silver screen. He skated into our hearts and took up residence in a memey igloo.
    Dude. Chill.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Dude. Chill.
    Chill? I already chilled! I WAS FROZEN TODAY!

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    And Pinkie Pie, the most comical, and also mysteriously mystical, of all ponies didn't say anything awful that could have convinced everyone that Zacora was evil? I seem to remember a little song that said something about Zacora doing an evil dance, putting ponies in a trance, and making soup out of them?
    And this is the pony that makes cupcakes with Rainbow Dash...

I mean sure, it was a fanfic, but still.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, forgot to say this earlier, but DBC, I'm actually watching Citizen Kane in my History of Movies class.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Space Marines use power armor to fight crime heresy (which is like a crime against holiness, which would make it worse, right?) and they aren't whimps. They have two frakken hearts!
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Chill? I already chilled! I WAS FROZEN TODAY!
    That's cold, man.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Space Marines use power armor to fight crime heresy (which is like a crime against holiness, which would make it worse, right?) and they aren't whimps. They have two frakken hearts!
    Are you saying Arnold is a Space Marine?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-07-11 at 07:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

That's cold, man.
    We just need to stop all these puns. One might even say we need to freeze production.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

28. - Top - End - #1018

We just need to stop all these puns. One might even say we need to freeze production.
    I'm worried that this will branch off into something we've been so good to avoid.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    You mean Mr. Freeze? Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I don't recall Arnie playing any Iceman, other than that one.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

YES YES YES YES is cute.

Having a reference guide for a sleepover is cute.

"Oh no, if I use my talents that my friends already know I have, they will shun me!" is annoying to me.
    I guess I found it more understandable than you did. I tend to hold the philosophy of "better safe than sorry" and in her situation, since no one (except Spike) was pushing her to stand up to Trixie, it wouldn't actually hurt anything to let Trixie act Great and Powerful, while she didn't know that her friends wouldn't be annoyed if she showed her up. Yes, she should have suspected it, what with her friends all supporting her other friends who tried to show up Trixie, but again, I find this to be "playing it safe."

It also plays into another pet theory of mine, or at least something I hold in my personal fanon, which is that Twilight is actually capable of being scarily powerful. She is easily the most powerful magician in Ponyville (not that that is saying much), and it's possible she would be afraid of overdoing it when showing up Trixie.

When the town was in danger, she acted, as she had every right (and in some ways, duty) to.

Though the fact that she was still worried about what her friends would think of her was a bit silly, admittedly.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff