New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Dead Simple Dungeon Crawl (IC)

Therese pats Olaf on the calf. "There there, big guy. I'm sure some complications will arise during the battle." The Hobbit realizes that he probably should be more direct. "Some of the bandits will probably be so bad that we'll be forced to kill them."
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The merchant clasps the dwarf's heavy hand in his own lithe, long-fingered one with the firmness of a man accustomed to making bargains. "Excellent. We shall await your.. ahem, stalwart band at the Duck n' Cover tomorrow morning, once we have concluded our..." he pauses and casts an apologetic look at the handful of barrels, before completing his sentence, "... business here today."

OOC: The five adventurers, newly knit together by the whims of fate, now have their first paid assignment. They also have near on a whole day before setting out. What to do with the unspent hours? Browse the market? Catch up on sleep? Catch up on drinking? Pending anything more exciting, the scene will shift to the departure.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Felix ...

As it's almost certainly gt be time for another meal (hobbit, remember?) I'll seek one out. I'll make casual, though preposterous conversation with any an all companions who wish to join me.

Also I will begin basic research into the two spells I've already considered this morning as well as how to go about one of my main longf-term goals - turning my stick (or another, nicer stick) into a true, powerful wizard's staff.

These efforts can be considered ongoing during any downtime.

4. - Top - End - #64

Bart will mooch food off his new compatriots and hit on any lovely ladies they may encounter while feasting.

Those are pretty much his hobbies and he will partake in them often.
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2011-06-30 at 04:06 PM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    "NOT kill them, Olaf. That will be used as a final resort."
    "Fine. We won't kill them."

Quote Originally Posted by AtS View Post
    "Some of the bandits will probably be so bad that we'll be forced to kill them."
    "Didn't you hear? We're going to send them on a holiday!"

Olaf turns and walks away, kicking a stone as he does so. "Stupid dwarf," mutters the barbarian to himself, "he's not the boss of me. Maybe I'll just dismember them a little..."

Olaf continues muttering until he is out of earshot. He looks up and catches a glimpse of the fishmonger's daughter sitting alone, eating her lunch. With a newfound spring in his step, he saunters over to her.
    Last edited by salt3d; 2011-06-30 at 04:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

HalflingRogueGuy

Therese joins Felix in his meal, making small talk with him and any other companions that choose to join them. After dinner, he says goodnight. For the first time in his life, he heads to bed early, even opting to skip out on "Midnight Snack" in order to make sure he feels rested for the trip tomorrow.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Gennar spends the rest of the day wandering the marketplace, looking around for any interesting items, but with no intention of buying anything. He joins the rest of the group for dinner, having small talk with those present, getting to know them a bit more. He then retires to his room to get some rest before the next day.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The next morning dawns early--especially so for those who were up late with other interests--and the five adventurers hurry to the common room to find the merchants closing out their tabs and getting ready to leave. In a sign of how desperate their situation is, none of the heroes get so much as a snide remark from their employers for being late.

Outside the inn, a small wagon train has been assembled, consisting of three horse-drawn carts (now entirely empty) and seven saddled horses. The dark-skinned merchants assort themselves to their own stations--the lowest-ranking end up driving the carts, while the highest-ranking ride on horseback. In addition to the five hired heroes, the merchants employ four of their own men, whose armament consists of a crossbow, scimitar, and very little in the way of talking.

An hour past dawn, the whole ensemble is on its way out of Grobblet, crossing the river and creating quite the clatter on the little wooden bridge. The steamy expanse of bogs that extends both up-river and down-river practically seems to swallow up the King's Road as it winds westward on the driest ground available. Within minutes, the village is lost behind in the shimmering, sun-speckled haze.
    Suspiciously normal.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Felix speaks at length with everyone, even if they don't speak back, and cajoles to get a ride in a cart while they're empty.

He tries every strategy he knows to wring information out of the men; anything from prices of thier wares to the identity and tactics of their enemy to personal information.

He also inquires about the length of thir journey and details about their destination.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Felix speaks at length with everyone, even if they don't speak back, and cajoles to get a ride in a cart while they're empty.

He tries every strategy he knows to wring information out of the men; anything from prices of thier wares to the identity and tactics of their enemy to personal information.

He also inquires about the length of thir journey and details about their destination.

11. - Top - End - #71

HalflingRogueGuy

Therese walks ahead of the caravan, munching on a pilfered apple. If Gerta noticed him take it, she must not have minded - still, Therese feels a little guilty. He'll leave a couple of coppers on the counter to pay it back, with interest, when the group returns to Grobblet.

While Therese looks like he's absent-mindedly eating and walking, he's actually keeping a close eye on the treeline, looking out for any sudden ambushes or traps.

But perhaps not too close. The Hobbit soon grows preoccupied with some rather interesting cloud formations in the sky.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[20]
    Perception Roll, if it's needed.
    Last edited by AtS; 2011-07-06 at 05:53 PM.
    My Games

12. - Top - End - #72

Shrrrrrrrrrk.

Olaf sits at the back of the rearmost cart, his legs dangling just above the road. On his lap is his axe. Olaf runs a whetstone along its blade.

Shrrrrrrrrrk.

Olaf inspects the axe. It glints in the light as he holds it aloft. He spots a leaf drifting down behind the cart on the breeze and takes a casual swipe at it with the axe. The leaf splits into two identical but slightly thinner leaves. Olaf nods, then places the axe back in his lap to continue sharpening the other side.

Shrrrrrrrrrk.

13. - Top - End - #73

Bart treks along with the carts, swinging his sword to create a whistle.

Well. This is pretty boring. Not the kind of extraordinary adventure I was expecting...

He sighs and continues sword whistling.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Long, boring, tedious hours pass. The merchants seem disinclined toward chatter, and some of them cast disparaging looks at Felix for his logorrheic ways. About all he manages to find out is that the coast is a four-day journey, and the bandit attacks usually come when the caravan is in the Dark Woods--the second or third day. The entire first day, unfortunately, will be spent in the Foul Marshes, where things are usually peaceable with the exception of occasional goblin ambushes that are easily dispatched.

Just at that moment, there's a shriek from somewhere to the left of Therese. A trio of green-skinned goblins comes streaming out from behind a fallen tree, shaking their spears in the air as they charge toward the hobbit on point.

Code:
    o---------------o
    | #     ##   ###|
    |     ##      # |
    |               |
    |      M B M    |
    |T  [F] [G] [O] |
    |      M   M    |
    |               |
    |               |
    |gg     #       |
    |g       #      |
    | ##            |
    |  ##           |
    |          #  # |
    |           ##  |
    |            ## |
    o---------------o
    Ready? FIGHT!

Movement: Felix, Gennar, and Olaf are in the wagons. Therese, Bart, and the four Merchant guards are on foot. Each square is 5 feet, and you can move 3+Speed squares on your turn. Jumping out of the wagon costs 2 move. #s represent trees or scrub brush and cannot be moved through. They also provide cover for dwarves, hobbits, or short enemies.

Magic: If Felix or Gennar want to cast spells, they occur before any fighting.

Combat: Goblins have a DEX of 2, so subtract that from your skill level when using Fighting or Shooting skill. Damage is the difference between your roll and your effective skill level. The goblins carry a shield for defense, so subtract 1 point of damage from each successful strike. Goblins have a TGH of 2 and are unlikely to survive a single hit, certainly not two.
    Last edited by Mordae; 2011-07-07 at 09:19 AM.
    Suspiciously normal.

15. - Top - End - #75

HalflingRogueGuy

Therese unbuckles his sling, runs back 20 feet, until he's standing next to the top bush, and lobs a bullet at the closest goblin in front of him.

(1d20)[20]

Unfortunately, in the Hobbit's haste to take out his sling, he gets it wrapped awkwardly around his arm, which ends in the smallfolk prone, in a tangled heap next to the brush.

"Yipe!" squeaks the fallen Hobbit.
    Last edited by AtS; 2011-07-08 at 09:14 AM.
    My Games

16. - Top - End - #76

Shrrrr-

Olaf's eyes light up at the sight of the goblins. "Ooh! Ooh! Can we-" he starts, before Therese swings into action and gives Olaf an answer to his half-asked question.

"Nice to meet you!" shouts the barbarian as he hops down from the cart and begins jogging, then running towards the goblins. "I'm glad you could join us. The trip so far has been ever so dull!"

By now Olaf has reached the trio, and he swings his axe upwards at the nearest of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting: (1d20)[19]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Upon hearing the goblins, Felix is curious. Upon seeing them, he shrieks and nearly falls from his perch.

Seeing one of the guards give him a dirty look, he grins toothily and then shakes his staff menacingly in the air.

Alakazam! he shouts, sending a bold of fire at the approaching creatures.

(1d20)[16]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

"An ambush ! Curse them !" Gennar draws his crossbow and takes a shot at the nearest greenskin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shooting: (1d20)[15]
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Felix shakes his head in dismay and bewilderment.

You there! he shouts to the guards, Watch behind us, fools, there will likely be more of them!

20. - Top - End - #80

Bart sighed, this would not do at all.
    Come now chaps, time to get serious. Allow me to lead us off.
    He smirks and then bolts after the goblins, his feet swift and his blade sparkling. He rips across the ground and raises his blade,
    Terribly sorry, but it seems our time together has been,
    He makes a swing at the goblin,
    Cut short.
    But his blade whistles over the goblins head, Barts eyes wide at his failure to hit. This was going to be less than optimal...

Spoiler
    Show

Move so that I'm to the right of the goblins, only adjacent to the one on the far right. I've got a speed of 6 so +3 is 9 which should get me there. Then a roll for attack, fighting score is 10 minus 2 for DEX on goblins which puts it at 8.

Fighting: (d20)[15]

Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2011-07-22 at 12:16 AM.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The goblins recoil a little bit as Olaf and Bart rush them and they begin to be peppered with missiles and spells. Clearly they aren't used to the armed resistance being quite so armed and resistive. But when the fusillade ends and none of them are injured, they regain a bit of their courage and strike back. Olaf and Bart easily fend off the clumsy spear strikes, but the three goblins press home the attack with annoying squeaks and squeals.

The merchant guards dutifully remain close to the wagons, on the alert for more attacks as Felix suggested.

Code:
    o---------------o
    |T#     ##   ###|
    |     ##      # |
    |               |
    |      M   M    |
    |   [F] [G] [ ] |
    |      M   M    |
    |               |
    | gO            |
    | gB    #       |
    |  g     #      |
    | ##            |
    |  ##           |
    |          #  # |
    |           ##  |
    |            ## |
    o---------------o
    Spoiler
    Show

Goblin 1 attack vs Olaf (need 1): (1d20)[9]
    Goblin 2 attack vs Bart (need 1): (1d20)[15]
    Goblin 3 attack vs Bart (need 1): (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by Mordae; 2011-07-22 at 07:12 AM.
    Suspiciously normal.

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingRogueGuy

Therese, having managed to untangle himself from his sling, stands up and loads another bullet.

"Well, this has been a rocky start. Let's see about making it a rocky end," the hobbit quips, whipping the sling around his head to wind it up.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[20] need 8

Unfortunately for the Hobbit, his windup is a little too earnest. Before he can even lob the rock overhead, he accidentally smacks himself in the head causing stars to flash before his eyes.

"Oooh.... lookit allda preddy lights..." Therese's tongue doesn't seem to be working well.

The hobbit stumbles a couple of steps forward in his confusion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Therese moves 2 squares forward.
    Last edited by AtS; 2011-07-22 at 07:30 AM.
    My Games

23. - Top - End - #83

Olaf is clearly overwhelmed by the excitement of battle. He opens his mouth to speak, but being unable to think of anything to say, simply shrugs and swings his axe again.

Unfortunately his excitement affects his aim, and the axe thunders into the ground at the goblin's feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting: (1d20)[14]
    Last edited by salt3d; 2011-07-24 at 06:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Bart sighs, the goblins weak swipes easily dodged,
    I think I'll try again.
    He swings his sword in two quick, fluid swipes across the goblins face, hoping to land a hit this time.

Spoiler
    Show

(d20)[19] Target is 8.

Double Trouble
    (d20)[8] Still eight. If I kill the first goblin with my first attack I'll switch to another adjacent goblin. Otherwise the same one.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Looking quickly over his shoulders to ensure the guards are not looking at him, Felix says under his breath Abracadabra. And releases another fiery bolt ...

(1d20)[5]

Seeing one of the goblins stagger from the brutal fusillade unleashed from his deft if minuscule fingers, Felix thunders with the monumental overconfidence and chutzpah of the just-recently-successful.

Wither beneath the fury of the elemental fundaments of the universe, you barbarous, nauseating, vomitous fiends whose sole livelihood reflects poor character, flawed judgement, ill wisdom and ineptitude for even the most basic forms of civil and societal advancement yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty yackitty ...

In the thrill of the moment, he may well continue until he faints. But then he shakes himself free and allows his logical mind to take over again after brushing out the animal frenzy and remembering he has every reason to fear for his life.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2011-07-29 at 05:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Therese staggers around, reeling from his accident, while Olaf smashes the ground with ferocity. Bart's first swing misses his goblin entirely, but the second clips it on the shoulder and elicits a yelp--not of pain, but of surprise.

Gennar looses another crossbow bolt that just barely misses the middle goblin.

Felix summons his magical energies and unleashes a blast of fire that singes the third goblin quite badly. The thing emits an animal-like scream as it slaps at the smoking remains of its clothing.

The goblins do their best to fight back, but it is clear they are on the verge of panic, being thoroughly outclassed even if their opponents are doing little damage.

Code:
    o---------------o
    | #     ##   ###|
    |     ##      # |
    |T              |
    |      M   M    |
    |   [F] [G] [ ] |
    |      M   M    |
    |               |
    | gO            |
    | gB    #       |
    |  g     #      |
    | ##            |
    |  ##           |
    |          #  # |
    |           ##  |
    |            ## |
    o---------------o
    Spoiler
    Show

Gennar crossbow: (1d20)[7]
    Goblin 1 vs Olaf: (1d20)[13]
    Goblin 2 vs Bart: (1d20)[19]
    Goblin 3 vs Bart: (1d20)[11]
    Last edited by Mordae; 2011-08-18 at 11:29 AM.
    Suspiciously normal.

27. - Top - End - #87

HalflingRogueGuy

Therese, still dazed and confused from the bump on his head, clumsily loads another bullet in his sling.

Scrunching his eyes tightly closed, Therese focuses his mind, clearing the stars that dance across his vision. When he opens them again, he's focused and ready. He hefts the sling over his head, winds up, and lets loose!

Focus... focus...

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[5] need 8

Therese clocks the goblin that Felix had already singed. "HOORAY!" A shout of joy slips out from the hobbit's mouth, clearing all the past frustration at his own ineptitude.
    Last edited by AtS; 2011-08-18 at 12:33 PM.
    My Games

28. - Top - End - #88

Seeing the success of Felix and Therese, Olaf has a thought. Maybe being lower to the ground might help. Olaf drops to his knees and swings his axe through a plane parallel to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting: (1d20)[7]