New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Thanks for the warning, although I'm not exactly sure of its purpose. Also, what do you mean by 'parked right under you'?

2. - Top - End - #512
    Halfling in the Playground

Was waiting to see what Goliath did first before reacting with the Twins, Anyr, but if things are going to steam on regardless, I'll see what I can't do about getting a post up soonish here!
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

3. - Top - End - #513
    Dwarf in the Playground

I sincerely can't really remember an Anthony Jackson.......

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's the boy who got kidnapped and that Cale and the other two saved.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

5. - Top - End - #515
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahh that would make sense. Cale (and thus me) didn't really have too much to do with him, being "not arrested" seconds after the rescue

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Thanks for the warning, although I'm not exactly sure of its purpose. Also, what do you mean by 'parked right under you'?
    Wilkomen. Also,sorry, I think I meant right under your nose. Minomaru(green text in my posts) has a car parked near your position. Marc nearly spit out his drink when you first fired.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marcielle View Post
    Wilkomen. Also,sorry, I think I meant right under your nose. Minomaru(green text in my posts) has a car parked near your position. Marc nearly spit out his drink when you first fired.
    Duly noted. I'd actually pictured the sniper as being much farther from the road (nearer to the middle of the park than the edge), but it's fine to change that if it works better for you.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

Still here, just been a long and busy week... I'll try to get a post up tonight.
    My life for Nerzhul!

Join the Cult of the Damned, we have free donuts on fridays! -Bago!!!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

Could use some helpful critique for my avatar that I made. Please?

9. - Top - End - #519

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Duly noted. I'd actually pictured the sniper as being much farther from the road (nearer to the middle of the park than the edge), but it's fine to change that if it works better for you.
    There could be a road cutting through the park. I actually live near a park with a weird and winding road going through and around it. Sorry if I messed anything.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Orc in the Playground

Almost done with my post! I just need to take into account what has just happened with the cone of darkness and the appearance of Bert. Darn chiminey sweeps!
    My life for Nerzhul!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

11. - Top - End - #521

MonkGuy

Note that Marc is, incidentally, ALSO covered in black. Lol.

12. - Top - End - #522

MonkGuy

Hey there, are the twins still in the park. Monster Gol is ignoring Marc so I'm thinkin he'll go help someone else.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Halfling in the Playground

Yeah, they're just hiding behind some bushes due to the sniper fire.

They don't deal well with sniper fire, ya know?
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps, but I am somewhat waiting for your response to Goliath heading to their particular bushes.
    My life for Nerzhul!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok i feel kinda stupid, i actually first posted this under the old one not realiseing it was the old one so here is what i posted there

Hey guys im hoping that new characters are still welcome.

I'm new to the cite i actually just found it through websurfing (induced by extreme boredom) I had actually seen both index and railgun prior to seeing this so it got me interested.

I would like to know for sure if new characters are still welcome before elaborating but i do have a character in mind.

Name: Carver Abrern

American who traveled by choice to academy city to improve natural esper abilities

Ability: (unsure of exact technical terms) False visual and audial perceptions via visual pathway

EyeCharmer

Effects: induces false visual and audial perceptions within target effectively allowing user to create a believeable "illusion" for the target

Requirements: direct visual eye contact with target within 20 yards, and can only affect up to three subjects at a time

Ability level: 3

Before elaborating on the character i would like some feedback and constructive critiscism to see where exactly where i want to go with this and to see if it's even acceptable, i think it's pretty balanced considering to avoid being caught in his ability all you have to do is wear sunglasses

thanks for reading

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

New characters are indeed still welcome, provided their players don't mind the slow pace; The game's not exactly running at its fastest right now. As for feedback:

How important is being a Gemstone (that is, someone who naturally possesses a power) in regards to his backstory? Since true Gemstones are so rare in canon, we're trying to keep them that way in this RP as well. That's not to say that they're banned; Just that characters should have a good reason for being one.

It's hard to give any constructive criticism about EyeCharmer without knowing more about what it can do. The conditions required to use it are clearly listed, but there's almost no detail about its actual capabilities. If you're simply looking to know whether a power of this general type is allowed, then the answer is yes; Beyond that, there's not really enough information to work with yet.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Welcome, Wilkomen, other greetings!

I see no problem with Eye Charmer so far, but yup. Gemstones are a rarity and lots of people seem to be interested in controlling them.

That's not to say he can't be American, though. He can! There are plenty of Americans and Europeans who travel to Academy City in hope of developing powers! ^w^

But if it's important, then go for it! X3
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-07-20 at 07:32 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok thanks for replying so quickly,

i guess i was kind of vauge on how his ability actually worked

how i was thinking of useing it i wanted the target to be completely unaware that they were actually under the influence of the ability, unless say the user made barney appear and start danceing that would be kind of a giveaway

it allows the user to create any image with sound to be percieved by the user, it's kind of like forced halucinations.

it could be an image as simple as him just standing there while in reality he's actuall walking over to you to wack you to having optimus prime jump through a wall with the coolade man on his shoulder

well with the desription of the power out of the way i actually do kind of agree about the natural gem thing so instead i would think the character to be caucasian (white) about 5'10 and with a noticeable amount of arrogance. For as long as he's been able to talk he's been able to make people believe whatever he wants and get whatever he wants even without an esper ability and upon hearing about academy city he moved there to discover his ability, which suited him exactly as a manipulater

other than that im unsure as to what else to add without getting into the nitty gritty

Edit: i left one thing out and that the user is able to consciuosly control what the target percieves while still able to do oter tasks such as i dont know walking behind you with a big stick while you fight ghosts
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-07-20 at 12:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Bugbear in the Playground

Your character's ability sounds like telepathy limited to the sensory portion of the brain. You should establish a rough limit to their power though (Has difficulty affecting multiple people, those with higher awareness take more effort to fool, overuse can lead to exhaustion, ect.)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok i see hwat you mean crafty i handnt considered that and completely agree

id say that for a person with an extremely strong will eyecharmer would only be able to affect one person at a time, or with another telepathic user it would have the same affect one only being able to control the one at a time

but with lower willed people such as random street thugs it affects a maximum of ill say four and the number dwindles down and affects less people when aimed at someone who is either trained to resist such tings or has a naturally strong will

as well as the more people and the more strongly willed they are the more concentration it takes to keep the illusion going and if the concentration is brocken the illusion immeaditely fades, but once the connection has been made it cannot be brocken, so if you have sunglasses on to begin with it wont affect you but you cant stop it by putting on sunglasses
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-07-20 at 12:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dwarf in the Playground

so with that i think my character is about ready to play, i want him to be not extremly defined as of yet so he can be shaped as it plays so on that note is there anyone who would be willing to let me join in on whatever is currently going on thanks
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-07-20 at 08:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

That's probably fine. His power seems to have enough limitations to counterbalance its potency and flexibility. It seems like the sort of ability best used with discretion, because anyone who works out the trick behind it can render it useless; Rather like the Evil Eye from Get Backers.

As for finding a scene to join, I'd actually recommend starting one yourself. The game could do with a few alternative places for characters to congregate.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

alright i think ill try and do that but do you have any recomendations i dont want to do something extremly similar to whats been done before

also while i have seen the anime im not sure exactly how the rp flows so any advice would be greatly apreciated

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

IMHO, there's no need to worry too much about being overly original when planning an opening. Plenty of great introductions have been written using premises which are as old as the hills. To my mind, it's the execution that really matters. If you're looking for an appropriate way to introduce your character, just put yourself in their shoes and ask "What might they be doing at this time of day?" Are they working? Indulging in a hobby? Playing a prank? I tend to find that once you've got a good picture of their regular routine, a good introduction usually follows.

As for the game's flow, it's almost completely freeform. Occasionally there are fixed storylines and prearranged scenes, but most of the time players just move as they wish. So long as you show basic good manners and avoid controlling other peoples' characters, you should be fine.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Dwarf in the Playground

Allright i've put some thought into it and i think i have how it opens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walking into one of Academy City's more succesfull banks Carver stops for a moment at the door and takes a quick look around the room noteing several security cameras and checking the briefcase he's carrying before continueing on

Walking up to a woman at the counter he tells her he has an appointment with the manager and she sends Carver into his office.

The Manager whose name is Bunrakuken Arakawa, expecting him he waves carver to a seat across his desk and asks

"Now then Abrern-san what is it exactly you wanted to speak with me about."

"Yes Mr.Arakawa i'm here about the building complex you recently repossesed, you do have the paperwork for them correct?"

Nods and says "Yes i do" and motions to a few papers on his desk "what interest do you have in them? you do know that they are in an area which is frequented by the less than mentionable citizens of our city correct?"

With a grin Carver looks him in the eye and says "Yes i do know about that, in fact thats a main reason why im interested in procuring them... through less than offical ways"

"Are you attempting to bribe me Abrern-san"

With his grin growing larger he says yes, i think i am, and i also think i brought enough incentive." he says while opening up his briefcase and Arakawa sees it completely filled with large bills, worth at least what he would earn in over five years. and at this his eyes understandibly bulge.

Carver grins and says "here is my proposition, you take this briefcase and all of it's contents in exchange for the papers for the building complex in question as a "gift" he says as he closes the briefcase and adds "do we have a deal?"

Arakawa's head bobs up and down several times and says "yes you have a deal, and i assume after you leave this transaction never happened?"

Carver grins again and says "you catch on quick Mr.Arakawa just wait for me to leave the building before opening the briefcase and when i leave the transaction never happened." he says as he gets up from his chair takes the papers and walks out the building

While watching the cameras Arakawa opens the briefcase as soon as Carver leaves the building he opens the briefcase and stammers for a moment before yelling "WHAT!" at the top of his lungs, because the briefcaser that had been filled to the brim with a fortune was now completely empty... except for a small piece of paper with a a pair of winking eyes on it.

Just outside of the building Carver hears the frustrated yell come from the manager and chuckles as he walks down the sidewalk and pulls out his cellphone and calls an associate.

"Did you get the papers?"

"Of course i did, im good at what i do."

"Good, drop them off at you know where, and you will recieve your payment, pleasure doing business with you."

"likewise" and hangs up

While continueing to walk down the street he laughs to himself

"This just keeps getting easier."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think, a good start huh.
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-07-21 at 04:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that looks good. It establishes a lot about his basic nature, along with providing a few decent plot hooks.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually just posted the first part of my friends and mine's d&d campaign so if you want feel free to check it out

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208384
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-07-22 at 09:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, I'm honestly quite interested to this, despite being somewhat new to open-ended RP. I was thinking about a character with mastery over time, being able to control the flow of it. However, starting of, he will only be able to slow people down by a slight amount. Young, inexperienced, easily persuaded/led, yet full of potential is the concept I'm going for here. Starting off, he'll have about first level on the power scale, being very, very unused to the finite control over his powers. His chrono mastery doesn't actually make him any faster to start off with, and indeed, even if he rose to fifth level power, it would only grant him a slight speed boost. No, what it does is it lets him think and rapidly adapt to situations far, far faster then he normally would be. It also lets him breeze through classes since he can just speed them up.

So, if anyone doesn't mind, while I type up the fine details of my character, could you please give me recommendations on how to make chrono mastery balanced? Thanks.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the school year is starting, meaning everyone may start clawing there way back to here.

As for your character, perhaps its reaction timing than time itself would be a better explaination for it. Other than that, I think he'll do fine.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #540
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Character post.

Name: Nick Orion

Attended school: Azabu Academy

Power: Chrono Trigger (Currently Level 1)
    Nick has a rather unique power: the ability to adjust his flow through the passage of time. If he slows down his time flow, his mind can take in all the details of a individual scene as they pass by, analyzing any possible situation with a intense level of detail.

However, he cannot move any faster then he would be able to at that rate of time flow at this low level of mastery. At higher levels of mastery, he eventually gains more control over his flow through time, granting him (1/1.25/1.50/1.75/2.0x) faster movement then he normally would be able to have.

If he speeds up time, time simply flows faster for him, something of a fast forward button, only he fully analyzes and obtains all relevant feelings, memories, etc. as they happen. Ergo, overnight study becomes a snap!

So, in essence, at the lowest level, it allows him to take in all of the details of a scene, granting him the advantage of knowledge. At higher levels, it also makes him fast enough to be able to better abuse this knowledge, yet still too slow to react to things such as a shotgun blast to the face.

Please note that he still needs to physically turn his head in order to see something. Ergo, this power is somewhat useless against sneak attacks from behind or angles he can't see.

Note: If anyone wants a indepth explanation about the Science! behind this esper, feel free to PM me and I'll explain how it works in detail.

Description/Background: Nick is a rather unassuming fellow. Decked out in a nerdy t-shirt and some khaki pants, with a tall-slightly heavy-set build of 6'3, he tends to stick to the background. In fact, he would've loved to stay in the background.

However, as of late, his attempts to not be suck a backgrounder have led to him getting thrust far more into the spotlight then he desired. Although he is only just coming of age for his powers, he has gained much attention due to the somewhat...unique advantages they coffer -such as easy aces on a test, and stress-free studying.- In fact, this leg up over his peers has caused his parents to bite the bullet and pay for him to attend Azabu Academy, in spite of his low level.

Although he is unaware, his parents have had to take out something of a eye-catching loan to send him to Azabu, and whilst he is in no threat of creditors taking his organs as payment, it might cause his name to show up on the radar of well-informed individuals.

Misc notes:
    Has had almost no combat training. The closest he has had is some time spent at the gun range with his uncle, before said uncle passed away.
    Has had little esper training.
    Something of a slacker.

So, just so we're clear, do I wait for a moderator to accept me, or can I just jump right in? Also, if i've missed something, please let me know.