New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Nineteen

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Looking it up, the insult usage dates back to he nineteenth century while the usage as odd, not quite right or strange is centuries older.

On a related note, is it just me or do words that temporarily become insults against gender and sexuality have a tendency to force away the old meanings?

I am probably mistaken, but I thought I would ask.
    What did it imply when it was originally insulting? It could be used to mean 'not quite right (in the head/mannerisms/etc.)'.

Come to think of it, that may have been the cause of its use as an insult... If it was, it's even less of one to me than it already was.

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    How queer...
    Indeed, rather. :monocle:

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Personally, I'm a Taurus. We don't believe in that mumbo-jumbo.(I really don't, but I've been sitting on that line for months
    It seems that I'm a Virgo. I don't think I've ever wanted to headbutt my monitor before today.

Interestingly enough, the description for Virgo matches my ethics and the description for Pisces fits my personality (when I'm being nice). Eh, my worldview's too entropic to place much gravity on it.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

So, skepchick did a nice article about transwoman myths. Thought I'd get your opinions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dpcris85 View Post
    Asexuality not a gender identity

Actually, "asexual" is also a term to indicate a being which has no sexual characteristics, and therefore is neither male or female. (I'm talking of sex and not gender; when talking about gender, the proper term is agendered.) While this is extremely unlikely to be found IRL, it is a semantically viable hypothetic "third gender".
    I've actually been wondering the last few days. Do you suppose that the term and concept 'asexual' straddling so many semantic lines could be seen as fuel against there sing a difference between gender, sex and sexuality?

Miscellaneous

On New Year's Eve I went dancing in a gay club* with my friends & boyfriend! It was an extremely fun experience, completely different from what some "bigoted" members of the local gay community tried to convince me it was. Care to share your opinion on such things?

* Actually, it was a generic club which happened to hold a gay event
    I'm curious; what did these bigoted community members try to convince you of?

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    What did it imply when it was originally insulting? It could be used to mean 'not quite right (in the head/mannerisms/etc.)'.

Come to think of it, that may have been the cause of its use as an insult... If it was, it's even less of one to me than it already was.
    That's pretty much on the nose. As an insult, it is literally "I find you strange and incorrect as a human being." which is of course utter hogwash.

Indeed, rather.
    Fixed 'er for ya ;3

It seems that I'm a Virgo. I don't think I've ever wanted to headbutt my monitor before today.

Interestingly enough, the description for Virgo matches my ethics and the description for Pisces fits my personality (when I'm being nice). Eh, my worldview's too entropic to place much gravity on it.
    [Pseudoscience] [Theoretical]
    Spoiler
    Show

As a random tangent, and presupposing there is any actual value in astrology; most people tend to be bad scientists and dismiss the art based on sla small sampling of terrible evidence.

A person's astrological make-up consists of the entire sky system, and how they intercorrelate at the time of birth. A full star chart is a rather extensive document and while the sun sign is most visible, it's not the end all be all. The relationship between stars and planets is actually more important than any individual location.

Even though it's purposefully vague to allow leeway, a lot of full star charts tend to be surprisingly accurate. It's mostly coincidental I'm sure, but there is always value in noticing patterns and cycles, and working to change them for the better. Astrology is interesting as a paradigm that can be used when convenient, as a lens through which to examine trends. It's all in the presentation.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a Gemini Water Rooster. got my astrological sign read by a guy who knows his astrological signs very well, mostly because he is well-versed in occult and mythological stuff in general, both western and eastern.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As a random tangent, and presupposing there is any actual value in astrology; most people tend to be bad scientists and dismiss the art based on sla small sampling of terrible evidence.

A person's astrological make-up consists of the entire sky system, and how they intercorrelate at the time of birth. A full star chart is a rather extensive document and while the sun sign is most visible, it's not the end all be all. The relationship between stars and planets is actually more important than any individual location.

Even though it's purposefully vague to allow leeway, a lot of full star charts tend to be surprisingly accurate. It's mostly coincidental I'm sure, but there is always value in noticing patterns and cycles, and working to change them for the better. Astrology is interesting as a paradigm that can be used when convenient, as a lens through which to examine trends. It's all in the presentation.
    I use goat entrails, personally, but I've heard good things about star charts.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

So, skepchick did a nice article about transwoman myths. Thought I'd get your opinions.
    Well I'd say that courage and bravery are the same thing, and her last point is correct for different reasons.

It's not bravery, because bravery requires a CHOICE. It's always felt to me that I'm not choosing to be trans. I just am. The choice I have is whether to live wrong or to be brave enough to deal with the mess of changing things.

Of course, some people are okay with living as the wrong sex, so lucky them. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

It seems like a decent FAQ on transsexuality (at least for transwomen, so far).

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Well I'd say that courage and bravery are the same thing, and her last point is correct for different reasons.

It's not bravery, because bravery requires a CHOICE. It's always felt to me that I'm not choosing to be trans. I just am. The choice I have is whether to live wrong or to be brave enough to deal with the mess of changing things.

Of course, some people are okay with living as the wrong sex, so lucky them. xD
    I was going to nitpick #7 because I think it does take some bravery to come out or transition. In my opinion, courage is being scared poopless and doing it anyway. There are people who don't come out or transition because it's too scary (fear of rejection, abuse, etc.), even if being in the wrong kind of body is painful. There are some things that are too scary to do no matter how bad the alternative. For example, stick me at the top of a cliff. Stick, say, a zombie (or a horde or zombies for good measure; I could take one or two) up there with me. Actually wait I don't know where this is going because I'm not sure whether my fear of heights or my aversion to undead things is stronger. Okay, scratch that. Then torture me with physical pain (hot irons, knives, manual stimulation of free nerve endings, whatever) unless I jump off the cliff (say there's some way of surviving the jump, like water fifteen or twenty meters down or a bungee cord). I wouldn't jump.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-01-02 at 09:25 PM.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #278

Spoiler
    Show

True. There's no good evidence against it, and it's as complicated as the EMR spectrum. I should probably check into it at some point, give that quantum stuff a break.

I just get a message warning me that I'm "leaving Facebook".
    Thanks for existing.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I just get a message warning me that I'm "leaving Facebook".
    Take the url it gives you on that page and use that. (or say continue. That works too.)
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-01-02 at 09:46 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've actually been wondering the last few days. Do you suppose that the term and concept 'asexual' straddling so many semantic lines could be seen as fuel against there sing a difference between gender, sex and sexuality?
    I think that (at least in Italy) most people's knowledge of LGBT labels consists in "gay", "lesbian", "transsexual". Maybe "bisexual" if you're lucky.
    If you use the word "asexual" (without elaborating), the possibility of the listener knowing its biological meaning of "sexless" will be greater than the possibility that the listener knowing the intended meaning, leading to probable confusion.
    I don't know if this would help defending the thesis that there's no difference between gender/sex/sexuality that much. Semantically-based arguments are universally considered pretty weak, after all.

I'm curious; what did these bigoted community members try to convince you of?
    They told me that gay clubs were indecent places, populated with only vain flamboyant f-words almost engaging in sexual acts in public.
    While there was a minority of effeminated peoples (which didn't bother me in the slightest), and the event was a bit less chaste of your local church's raffle, that was clearly not the case. (By the way, I was pleasantly surprised to see that cisgendered males only composed 70% of the guests, tops.)
    English is not my first language. Sorry! ~ Sorin, Lord of Innistrad avatar by Crimmy

____

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Take the url it gives you on that page and use that. (or say continue. That works too.)
    *dramatically slaps forehead*

I forget to mention; yesterday I was celebrating New Year's at my cousin's house, and I told my second cousin about my gender. She almost immediately started talking with my first cousins about names, and I was soon dubbed Trixie.

I like it.
    Thanks for existing.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I was going to nitpick #7 because I think it does take some bravery to come out or transition. In my opinion, courage is being scared poopless and doing it anyway. There are people who don't come out or transition because it's too scary (fear of rejection, abuse, etc.), even if being in the wrong kind of body is painful. There are some things that are too scary to do no matter how bad the alternative. For example, stick me at the top of a cliff. Stick, say, a zombie (or a horde or zombies for good measure; I could take one or two) up there with me. Actually wait I don't know where this is going because I'm not sure whether my fear of heights or my aversion to undead things is stronger. Okay, scratch that. Then torture me with physical pain (hot irons, knives, manual stimulation of free nerve endings, whatever) unless I jump off the cliff (say there's some way of surviving the jump, like water fifteen or twenty meters down or a bungee cord). I wouldn't jump.
    I think I said that. I meant to say that. I said the opposite of that.
    It's 3am and I've been a pale quadrant for the last two hours. X_x
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Just saw "Police Academy" from 1984. Wow. Casual sexism and homophobia were really though of as funny back then.

Just shows how the morality of the time moves, I suppose.
    And yet racism was a major theme So incogruous...
    Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Sometimes I spontaneously start crying when I'm angry (or at any other time of high emotion) and that's super annoying. "You are not making me 'upset'! These are not tears of sadness! You are making me homicidally enraged!!"
    Ugh, yes! I'm all "take me seriously, dammit! These tears are making me seem less serious, but I really am pissed off!" And it also gets me paranoid that the person making me angry, especially if they're male, will be all "quit turning on the waterworks just to make me the bad guy!" - and my last boyfriend actually confirmed that for me, I had to explain to him that I don't make myself cry, and if I could I would stop it because, as I said, it means I don't get taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Did you free her? I'm oddly curious.
    Of course. And it was her fairy nobles who imprisoned her and sent us off on a suicide mission, so she was pretty pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    I was wondering that as well, and whether or not the story was written down and had a chance of being shared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Ooh, story! I vote for getting to read it too! :3
    But but but that would mean having to write it out, and not only would it sound really dumb, it'd be really hard and time-consuming!
    I might've put a summary in a thread I made a while ago about in-head-stories, though. If you like I'll do another overview, but it's pretty silly...

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'm a Taurus. We don't believe in that mumbo-jumbo.(I really don't, but I've been sitting on that line for months
    Yeah? Well I'm a... a... Libra. v.v

*shuffles uncomfortably out of thread*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a Zergpony.

Thanks for the link! This might be very useful.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, as someone who used to do quite a bit of cold reading, I can tell you that people tend to overestimate the accuracy of vague statements, often by a lot. You do have a point though.

I think I'm going to bookmark that. I even think I agree with her last point, although I think her analogy wasn't quite right.
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2012-01-03 at 12:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Banned

Heh, I thought you meant me by "skepchick" when you posted that and thought "Odd, I don't recall posting an article like that..."
    Isn't that a neat coincidence?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    Heh, I thought you meant me by "skepchick" when you posted that and thought "Odd, I don't recall posting an article like that..."
    I thought the same thing for a minute or two.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

19. - Top - End - #289

NecromancerGuy

You hadn't heard of skepchick before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

I do like the idea of referring to any given woman by the first part of her name with -chick appended to it, though. We can do the same thing for men, but with -dude instead.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

I do like the idea of referring to any given woman by the first part of her name with -chick appended to it, though. We can do the same thing for men, but with -dude instead.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You hadn't heard of skepchick before?
    No, I haven't actually heard of it before, hence my confusion.

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

No, I haven't actually heard of it before, hence my confusion.
    Hmm, need to make the rounds then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Second part is up as well. I found both parts to be really well written and I should probably memorize these points.

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    A friend of mine does this, but with -kins instead of -chick.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aren't there enough problems with pronouns? This system would make referring to genderqueer people even more challenging! Though I suppose they would get to chose their own suffix.
    English is not my first language. Sorry! ~ Sorin, Lord of Innistrad avatar by Crimmy

____

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

I have an off-topic question:
    How do people here feel about "owning" slurs? I know some people who dislike the idea, but I also know a guy(Trans-dude) who calls himself a "tranny" all the time, and several other people who do similar. I, personally, frequently refer to myself as a "flaming ***."

How do you people feel about it? Do you people do that?

27. - Top - End - #297

In theory, I approve. Largely because I disapprove of the sorts of people who try to pare language down to nothing by getting their panties in a twist about word after word.

In practice, it depends on intent and company. Calling yourself a flamer with friends/people you reasonably expect to understand the context of, it's not a problem. If there's a reasonable risk of souring someone's day, which there generally is in unknown public spaces, keep it under your hat.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

It makes me vaguely uncomfortable. There's another queer dude in my year who, when I kinda-sorta-not-reall 'came out', would continuously refer to the both of us as '****' in the affectionate manner, until I told him to stop. I hear it too often used seriously to be able to take it in good humor.

Milder ones are okay though, as are the more lyrical ones like 'arsebandit'. 'Cause you know, they sound kinda funny.

But '***' pushes too many buttons to be bearable.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-01-03 at 05:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

What do you do about non-binary peeps then?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Such slurs only bother me when used derogatorily (as in, "that guy is such a f-word!") or as if they have an innate negative connotation (as in, "that's so gay"). This applies both to straight and queer people, even though when the culprit is straight I inform them that, while I'm not offended by his usage of that word, other people may be more sensitive to it and therefore they may want to avoid using it.

____