New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I think the suggestion at the time is that upkeep and property taxes would be higher than the money that they would earn just from selling apples. It seems to be the case that a lot of the profits were in turning the apples into cider, so if someone else got that part of the business, it would make the farm unprofitable when taking into account upkeep costs.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the Apple family didn't just buy the machine from the Flim Flam brothers and then sell twice as much cider each day, considering the sheer amount of demand based on that line. But, just accept that they didn't think of that before getting pressured into that contest and the episode does kind of make sense.
    I like to think the Apples run their business seasonally. They have a few big bursts of income (Zapp Apples, Cider Season, the actual harvest, etc.) but make next to nothing for the remainder of the year. That, combined with the often-tossed-about headcanon of "AJ is bad at finances, but is too firmly rooted/stubborn to try things differently", explains it decently enough for me. They'd lose the farm simply by not having the money to maintain it, and with no source of income in the near future, they'd have to sell it to have a place to live in the meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    So...
    Amish is a pirate, and Idos is a captain.

Same ship?
    Believe it or not, the names evolved independently. To answer your question: Maybe! Though I don't know if we share any personal ships in the other sense of the word...
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

I think the suggestion at the time is that upkeep and property taxes would be higher than the money that they would earn just from selling apples. It seems to be the case that a lot of the profits were in turning the apples into cider, so if someone else got that part of the business, it would make the farm unprofitable when taking into account upkeep costs.
    Dang it, Celestia. Giving people land just so you can tax them is a brilliant idea.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the Apple family didn't just buy the machine from the Flim Flam brothers and then sell twice as much cider each day, considering the sheer amount of demand based on that line. But, just accept that they didn't think of that before getting pressured into that contest and the episode does kind of make sense.
    Don't forget that the cider has a ludicrously high demand, and the amount of cider that can be made is limited by the amount of apples available for the season. They probably expected to sell all of their seasonal apples by the end of the season just through making cider by hand, so the machine doesn't actually turn a monetary profit, just a temporal profit. Because that's a seasonal good, though, the time earned has to go unrelated products in order to make money- which would require them to buy more goods and services.

Now, that actually could pan out, but I don't think any legally competent family member would think it's a good idea.

That said, in the interest of full disclosure: I find apple cider absolutely disgusting.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-03-15 at 06:45 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

3. - Top - End - #903
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Keating Rogers
    Re: Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship
    That is so amazing, Daniel! I think this project is very cool and I'm really impressed that you went out and did it again!

Best,

Amy
    Aw yea.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok. A lot for me to work on, then. I really should have suspected that the problem was that I basically lacked any descriptions. Just by how abrupt or empty some of the fic sounded in my head. I'm pretty sure my biggest mistake was having a video walkthrough of the game open in another tab while I was writing some of this. I intended to use it as a reference, but I think I ended up just ponifying what I was listening to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're right, that's an awful move to make when adapting. These things are massively different mediums and they don't translate well into each other. A much better move for adaptations is to figure out the underlying spirit of the work.

Apocalypse Now is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness. I'd argue that it's the best adaptation of all time. Read and watch those two concurrently and figure out how they're the same work, how they're the same idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was actually pretty doubtful about including Luna and Celestia. To tell you why I decided to do that, I need to give you a quick summary of the first 20 minutes of Persona 4. The protagonist's parents have to go overseas on business, so they send him to the country to live with his uncle, who is a detective. He is a widower with a daughter. The night after the main character arrives in town, he runs into the supernatural for the first time. Rather than saying Twilight had an unknown aunt or uncle and cousin somewhere, I decided to try and fit the princesses into the role. As contrived as the reasons behind them abandoning their posts would be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that's what Persona did. Why did Persona do it?

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the problem is that when I can't explain, I joke. Badly. Which would explain the first chapter.

Do you think I should start over from the beginning? Maybe after I work on my descriptions (I think this problem has spilled over to my roleplaying, actually) and do a better job of planning the chapters out in advance?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think a single finished work, even if fundamentally flawed, is worth more than half a dozen incomplete ones. There's all kinds of stuff that you learn at the tail end of a fic that you miss out on if you constantly write introductions. You know how people say 'the ending sucked' so often? That's because people practise intros and short stories and exposition and never follow through to the climax.

Finish the story; it's published on EqD, you may as well. Learn what you can from it. After that, sit back and think long and hard about the nature of your next piece. Identifying core themes, working out the pacing and beat, and figuring out your own take on the story while remaining true to the heart - and not the content - of the original.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-15 at 08:09 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

clip comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    meh, kinda figured they'd have one of these.
    story goes like this:
    spike wants to know who he is
    has wacky adventures
    gets in trouble
    friends come to help
    he realizes HE defines who he is.
    roll credits
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #906
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Well, as the younger fellow, I can say with certainty that I've never been banished to the moon. Or anywhere else remote and desolate. And I definitely never went crazy and tried to shroud the land in darkness eternal.

I mean, at least I hope I'd remember something like that.
    Hmmm, so you're restricting yourselves to charming people with your song and dance numbers while attempting to scam honest farming folk out of their lands with your combination havester/brewing machines?

So...
    Amish is a pirate, and Idos is a captain.

Same ship?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    BTW, ponythread is awfully quiet today.
    Brace yourself - a new episode is coming. This is just the calm before the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Aw yea.
    Success!

Of course, this means that you have to somehow raise the bar for next year's Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship.

8. - Top - End - #908

New episode speculation:

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's play a guessing game: which pony is going to be involved only minimally if not completely ignored this episode?

Applejack!
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Puzzle based clip episode thingy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was... Was Twilight reading that book backwards?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Puzzle based clip episode thingy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was... Was Twilight reading that book backwards?
    response to clip comment
    Spoiler
    Show
    if she was checking the index, that would make sense.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

New episode puzzle clip thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bah, understocked Ponyville library. Dragonshy demonstrates that at least princess Celestia Trollestia knows something about dragons since Twilight was informed about how they decide on their lairs and how long they rest. But apparently the princess is keeping that information to herself in order to set up another episode premise.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Welp! Bit of a slow day, so it looks like it's time to post some awesome stuff.

First of all, a spoiler-free image dump for everypony!

And a lovely trio of musics:

Pipsqueak's Thunder Plunder by Interrobang Pie - An awesome chiptune song for the best pony.

She's a Glitch by TeiThePony - A remix of General Mumble's She's a Pony. Interesting remix, a little chaotic for my tastes, but I still enjoyed it.

Octavia's Final Boss Theme by Liquid Cobalt - Classical final bosses get the best music. Different feel than No Strings Attached. It conveys a sense of grandness, while still keeping the urgency of a final boss theme.

And I'm two stories into the fic contest. Say what you will about this whole pony business, but the sheer creativity it inspires is something else. And with that, I'm off to bed for tonight.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-03-15 at 11:46 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Bugbear in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #914
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    New episode speculation:

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's play a guessing game: which pony is going to be involved only minimally if not completely ignored this episode?

Applejack!
    All my friends are here!

And Applejack is here too.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

I'm wagering they'll just shove Derpy in the background, and won't really involve her.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Uh, those are floppy drives.

Love how he distinguished one as Pinkie, though.

Edit: Oh wow. Pinkie 30% lower is... A thing.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-03-16 at 12:55 AM.
    ---

16. - Top - End - #916
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Edit: Oh wow. Pinkie 30% lower is... A thing.
    You wanted pinkie lower? :) Giggle at the Ghosties in D Minor

Also, in the same theme:
    Winter Wrap Up in C Minor
    At the Gala in C Minor

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Lyra, that's... You don't... I don't even...

Spoiler
    Show

*skullpalm*

Somepony better get Bonbon a Potion...

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that's what Persona did. Why did Persona do it?

Spoiler
    Show
    I think a single finished work, even if fundamentally flawed, is worth more than half a dozen incomplete ones. There's all kinds of stuff that you learn at the tail end of a fic that you miss out on if you constantly write introductions. You know how people say 'the ending sucked' so often? That's because people practise intros and short stories and exposition and never follow through to the climax.

Finish the story; it's published on EqD, you may as well. Learn what you can from it. After that, sit back and think long and hard about the nature of your next piece. Identifying core themes, working out the pacing and beat, and figuring out your own take on the story while remaining true to the heart - and not the content - of the original.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to hazard a guess, the writer of the game's plot had the protagonist move in with his uncle to isolate the from all he knew, living in the city. Anyway, I'll try and pick up the story again after I've got school out of the way.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2012-03-16 at 07:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to hazard a guess, the writer of the game's plot had the protagonist move in with his uncle to isolate the from all he knew, living in the city. Anyway, I'll try and pick up the story again after I'm done with school.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Persona did it to isolate the protagonist, you've effectively done the reverse and surrounded the protagonist with people she knows. That in itself isn't bad, but that you haven't done it consciously is bad. Understanding a thing is the first step towards directed change.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Spoiler
    Show

*skullpalm*

That's not how you train Pokemons! Bad Lyra.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

*skullpalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Clearly neither of you read Manly Guys...

Also...
    Thanqol helped me find my hammer.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #922

It... it's not?

I believe I have been gravely misinformed ._____.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

Also...
    I do.

That Magikarp is not Mr. Fish. Jared just lucked out with his Magikarp.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

I actually read that particular strip as it was linked when I looked the source up.

Darkspark informs me he wholeheartedly approves of this method of training Magicarp, and wants to try it out right now with mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    Also...
    *skullpalm*

Hey, your DR doesn't work against magic bludgeoning does it, chief? Better be careful!

Neither, I remind you does yours. And while Lixie may have a giant magical hammer, she's not here right now, but I have two magical bludgeoning weapons as it were...to hand.

*whomp*

Besides, so long as it's not on fire, I'll be fine.

*Blither*

Which is more than I can say for you...

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

I do.

That Magikarp is not Mr. Fish. Jared just lucked out with his Magikarp.
    I actually read that particular strip as it was linked when I looked the source up.

Darkspark informs me he wholeheartedly approves of this method of training Magicarp, and wants to try it out right now with mine...
    Every Magikarp has the potential for being an excellent bludgeoning weapon, and eventually a mighty Gyarados. Mr Fish is merely the finest example.

*skullpalm*

Hey, your DR doesn't work against magic bludgeoning does it, chief? Better be careful!

Neither, I remind you does yours. And while Lixie may have a giant magical hammer, she's not here right now, but I have two magical bludgeoning weapons as it were...to hand.

*whomp*

Besides, so long as it's not on fire, I'll be fine.

*Blither*

Which is more than I can say for you...
    Magic, Bludgeoning, with fire...
    Thanks for the info!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

New episode puzzle clip thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bah, understocked Ponyville library. Dragonshy demonstrates that at least princess Celestia Trollestia knows something about dragons since Twilight was informed about how they decide on their lairs and how long they rest. But apparently the princess is keeping that information to herself in order to set up another episode premise.
    Trollestia strikes again?

Actually speaking of Celestia...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Umm Spike you have a direct line to the Princess, why don't you write her a letter y'know asking her where the heck she got that egg from. Then again maybe I'm predicting the resolution.

I believe Lauren Faust has already said that Celestia did put some special attention into Twilight's test.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Related to reactions: What did ponythread think after watching their first bit of ponies?

I held off on my opinion until watching a complete episode, after which: "Wow this is so ridiculously cheezy. Must watch more."
    Okay, this was from a couple of days ago, but I thought I'd answer (I haven't been here for a while have I?).

The weird thing is, I'm not sure I even remember. I remember going in cautious, but optimistic, I remember Twilight immediately being best pony for simply being a grumpy and snarky character in this bright and cheerful world (and also that she was the main character and "leader" despite being "the smart one") and I remember finishing the first episode and thinking "I want to know what happens next".

Anyway, found this link on EqD about the Japanese reactions to MLP. A really interesting read, especially the cultural differences and memes sections. Apparantly Cheerilee and Big Mac are more popular than most of the mane cast.

And on an unrelated note, here's a cool plushie:
    Spoiler
    Show

How do people make these so fast? This was posted the day after the epiosde aired!

And for no apparant reason, this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Trollestia strikes again?

Actually speaking of Celestia...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Umm Spike you have a direct line to the Princess, why don't you write her a letter y'know asking her where the heck she got that egg from. Then again maybe I'm predicting the resolution.

I believe Lauren Faust has already said that Celestia did put some special attention into Twilight's test.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We must also remember that the library without any books on dragons is the one specifically chosen to house Twilight. The Twilight that is her apprentice BECAUSE she managed to have the raising of a tiny dragon thrust at her as a child.

SISTER, WHY DOTH THOU TORTURE YOUR APPRENTICE SO?

It's *giggle* good for her development.

THEN I SHALL SEND MINE OWN APPRENTICE TO APPRAISE THOUST TEACHING METHODS. TRIXIE, GAIN THE ATTENTION OF TWILIGHT IN SOME MANNER SO THOU MAYEST CONVERSE WITH HER.

*show stoppers happens*

YOU SPEAKIST TRUE, MUCH LAUGHTER IS TO BE HAD IN THE SUFFERING
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

29. - Top - End - #929

Have you played Persona 4? I have a crossover fic that's on hold at the moment because I'm busy with school. That and...well, something feels wrong about it to me. I'm pretty happy with what I have so far, but seems to be lacking something.

I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/0...t-chapter.html
    I love me some Persona, I'll take a look at this too. Maybe I can bring a different perspective than Thanqol if he hasn't played the game.

Spoiler
    Show

OK, first off I have to ask if you've actually finished the game with the true ending. If not you really should. Persona kinda-spoilery critiques:

Spoiler
    Show

*You skipped the gas station scene from the intro.
    *You blew right through Adachi's introduction, when he's actually pretty important.

Your failure to employ some kind of wordplay involving getting sucked into a good book is inexcusable

I agree with Thanqol about description. I basically have the accompanying scenes from P4 playing in my head so I can picture what you're going for, but without that I'd be lost.

I think you're improving as the chapters go along. The more willing you are to branch away from a literal retelling of the game's story the better off you'll be. Frankly, you'll have to since once you hit the dungeons the game play takes over for narrative.

Also, I think you've got some serious casting problems. Not that Derpy-as-Yosuke doesn't work, but I can't help but thinking that Derpy would make a better Namatame, since they're both delivery ponies. Plus they both
    Spoiler
    Show
    inadvertently cause a massive amount of damage and trouble while trying to do the right thing

AJ and Fluttershy are perfect.

Pinkie would a good Yosuke, especially since you've already made Junes into Cakes, where she would work anyway.

I'm having a hard time reconciling Luna, several millenniums old and Princess of a kingdom, playing the role of a 4 year old. It's one thing for a little kid to be lonely because her single parent can't balance work and home life. It's totally another for a fully-grown adult to be so emotionally dependent on her sister that she just sits around at home waiting for her to come back from work.

You're going to run into trouble with Celestia as lead detective on the murders, too. First of all, it's an awkward role to shoehorn her into to begin with. Secondly, Dojima in the game is entirely competent as a detective. He just can't solve the murders because he doesn't have the complete picture regarding the Midnight Channel. Plus, he increasingly begins to suspect his nephew to be involved with the murders, or at least that he knows something about them (and he's right). I really don't see you being able to successfully recreate this dynamic between Twilight and Celestia. It's even more apparent that you could short circuit 90% of the plot by bringing Celestia into the Twilight's library and sticking a leg into a book. In the game, the team has no reason to believe anyone else would have a chance against the shadows. This is harder to believe when your detective is also the immortal sun goddess.

I do like Trixie as Naoto. I look forward to seeing whether you play her more closely to the character in game or more as a jerkass super-detective a la Sherlock.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to hazard a guess, the writer of the game's plot had the protagonist move in with his uncle to isolate the from all he knew, living in the city. Anyway, I'll try and pick up the story again after I've got school out of the way.
    I would actually disagree with this. I think the reason the protagonist gets picked up out of their usual environment and dropped into a completely new place was to provide the player with a completely blank slate. Since you spend the game deciding who the protagonist befriends and what sort of decisions they make, there's no need to establish who he was before. P3 started the same way.

Also, him being one of "outsiders" is significant when you find out what's really going on.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We must also remember that the library without any books on dragons is the one specifically chosen to house Twilight. The Twilight that is her apprentice BECAUSE she managed to have the raising of a tiny dragon thrust at her as a child.

SISTER, WHY DOTH THOU TORTURE YOUR APPRENTICE SO?

It's *giggle* good for her development.

THEN I SHALL SEND MINE OWN APPRENTICE TO APPRAISE THOUST TEACHING METHODS. TRIXIE, GAIN THE ATTENTION OF TWILIGHT IN SOME MANNER SO THOU MAYEST CONVERSE WITH HER.

*show stoppers happens*

YOU SPEAKIST TRUE, MUCH LAUGHTER IS TO BE HAD IN THE SUFFERING
    I am SO okay with this headcanon.