New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Dark Millenium: Into the Dark (IC)

Into the Dark
    The OOC thread
    The Main IC thread

The portal to the Dark Kingdom was a double twisted ring thirty feet tall, a masterwork of human engineering in wood and stone. The thing seemed almost alive, a watchful and ever-patient presence in the room. The engineers and scientists who'd brought it to life seem to unconsciously avoid it, with most of the hustle and bustle occurring in the opposite side of the room. All of them snap to attention the moment you enter the room.

Gregory Urawa, the man in charge of the project, bustles over to greet you. He looks far too unbecoming for so important a position, with a thoroughly average face and short brown hair that look like it belongs more on a clerk than the Kingdom's top dimensional researcher. "Er, hello all of you. It's quite an honour having you here. I've been briefed on the proposal, and I have to admit I'm thrilled." Even his voice is unbecoming. "As you know, beyond establishing a permanent presence on the other side, we've done very little true exploring. Expeditions outward are simply too costly, and ever since the loss of Company Beta..." He shakes his head.

"Oh, but in good news, our portal accuracy has improved dramatically! We're now accurate to within 1.7 cm, nine times out of ten. The matter was purely a predictive one; we can now forecast the ebbs and flows much more accurately, and that lets us account for them and put you right where we want you rather than three feet over or knee deep in rock. For those of you who've been through before, that will be a great relief. For the rest of you, there's still a bit of a drop as you go through. We're depositing you a little above the ground to avoid any accidents, so step lightly as you go through.

"The team on the inside knows you're coming, and they'll give you some assistance, but don't push them too hard. They're good men, but they've been there for almost two months now and are getting a little skittish. Standard symptoms, seeing movement in shadows, sense of being watched, you know the drill. We'll rotate them out soon, but we're trying to see if gradually lengthening the terms will inure them to the effects over several shifts. No results yet, but the preliminary results look promising.

"Do you gentlemen have any questions before we open the portal?"
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2012-01-15 at 06:23 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Dark Millenium: Into the Dark (IC)

"No? Very well, right this way." He plays with a few dials, and the wall behind the portal fades out to black. As you line up to go through, he calls to you one last time: "Don't forget to watch the drop!" And then you're through, feeling like you've just walked through an invisible spiderweb. The sensation of filmy strands on your skin is a hard one to shake, even though you know there's nothing there.

On the other side, you see the dim form of Company Gamma's leader Joseph Tarhe, flanked by two of his staff, giving you a salute. He's a tall man with a certain crispness about him despite his unkempt auburn hair. More surprising than the hair are the glasses, an exceedingly rare sight on a military man, but his clean salute and professional baring tell you much about him. And his eyes behind the glasses are keen and piercing. "Generals, Sirs, it's an honor to have you here. If there's anything I can do to assist in your mission, my men and I are at your disposal."

As your eyes begin to adjust to the gloom here, he begins to give you a short tour. The base is smaller than you'd have expected, just a few hundred feet to a side. Everburning torches lit up heavy stone walls, and the air is humid and slightly musty. You can see guards stationed at various posts, and as you watch one seems to twitch at unseen movement, only to relax a moment later. Nerves are obviously wearing thin.

"This building is the armory - you have free use of it of course, simply indicate your needs with the dispatcher. Over here we have the barracks. Private rooms seven through fifteen are free for your use when you need it." You notice the barracks has "Foxtrot Hotel" in large letters painted over the enterance. No explaination is offered.

Captain Tarhe leads you back to the main gate in short order. "You can leave at any time, simply talk to the men on duty at the gate. Getting back in requires a brief identity check, to prevent youma infiltration. Your current passcode is "Sierra November Alfa Foxtrot Uniform". Once you've used that passcode to return to base, you will be issued a new one. You are the only team we're sending out except for the firebreak teams, so if you see any men outside of shouting distance of the base, you can presume they're youma or exiles, although we haven't had many of the latter recently.

"The situation outside the base is fairly stable. Our cavern is extensive, but much of the plant life is dangerous so we have a three hundred foot firebreak on all sides. Beyond that, there are known tunnels leading out of our cavern to the north, north-east, and West. The northern one has been charted, along with all known branches. Beta, god bless them, were lost in the north-east tunnels. I recommend heading west; Professor Urawa suggested that would be the right direction for the Outer planets. I don't pretend to understand it myself.

"Are there any questions? Anything I can provide for you before you go?"

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hematite calmly observed the base. It was obviously a military installation, and that was not good. It just couldn't handle the planned traffic, and was in need of obvious rebuild. However, that could wait, right now, Hematite was supposed to think about current situation.
    - We thank you, captain. - he nodded politely. - Soon my recon team will accompany us, so I'd like to wait for them. - he looked at his fellow general - unless, of course you object, lord Kyanite. Other than that, I'd like to familiar myself with any information you can share on company Beta, including information on rescue operations if any were conducted
    Hematite speaced in calm, composed voice, but actually, he was rather displeased on the matter of entire company "missing" without anyone at least tried to make things clear
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

4. - Top - End - #4

"I'm afraid I can't tell you much about Beta's loss. Alpha was covering the station so they might know more. They had a few Sending Stones though - break them and the current base commander gets to listen in for about five seconds. They're expensive though, only for emergencies. We have a few if you want them. Anyway, someone in Beta managed to use one, or broke it accidentally, but all that made it back was choking and coughing. Gasses or spores are most likely.

"As to your men, they should be joining us right about now."

Both of you turn towards the portal expecting it to spit out the men as if on cue, but of course it doesn't work out so neatly. Less than two minutes later though, your squad of ten is through the portal and awaiting orders.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hematite raised his hand in greeting his men. He knew most of them rather well -for he has chosen the recon team himself from the seasoned veterans, that had accompanied him since he was a common trooper.
    Greetings. We've got a deep recon job today. Anybody ever wanted to visit Uranus? Well, this is your chance. The formation is usual - three teams: Alpha, Bravo and Charlie with The Reverend being in resrerve under my direct command. Get yourself ready for this won't be easy. But the Earth needs the Dark Kingdom to become more friendly - you all know why, and that's why we need to continue studying it. We start ASAP. For now - dissmised
    After greeting his men, lord Hematite adressed his fellow general
    - Lord Kyanite? Are you ready?
    Last edited by Fearan; 2012-02-09 at 02:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

With The Reverend acting somewhat as a drill sergent, firm exhortations driving them on, the men arrange themselves accordingly with swift professionalism. Their factory-new equipment seeming out of place against the grime that seems to coat everything here. They fall into their pre-designated teams near the main gate out, ready for further instruction.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

During the tour of the camp, Kyanite had remained quiet, taking in everything Joseph had to say about the camp and the terrain. Once Hematite's squad had arrived he watched them assemble into formation before finally speaking up.

I do believe I am Lord Hematite. If it is suspected west will lead us to the outer planets then I suggest we head west. Although I must say I am curious as to what happened to Beta Team. I would like the opportunity to exlore the North-Eastern tunnel briefly, even if I just perform a quick recon alone. But for now we shall stick together. I am ready to leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry it took me 45 minutes to put something so small together. I've been working on a major history paper and dodging my moms scanning eyes. Its tough to do anything when you should be working on something else.

8. - Top - End - #8

"If everybody's ready, then." Captain Tarhe gives the signal, and the gate rumbles open revealing.... not as much as you might have expected. The ground is scorched and barren as far as you can see with any clarity, which isn't far. The sound of languidly-flowing water is your only indication of what's out there.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

- Well. -Hematite broke the minute silence. - I hope, nobody expects the job to be done by itself? Team Alpha, advance, Bravo and Charlie on stanby. Maintain alert, we don't know, what's lurking under the treshhold - the general himself was ready to move right after the scouting team.
    Last edited by Fearan; 2012-02-18 at 04:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

The boots of your troop crunch over burnt ground, raising small puffs of soot the further out they go. It takes less than a minute for them to reach the limits of the firebreak, and they signal back an all's-clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume a staggered deployment. If you have something more specific in mind for their instructions, post it in a spoiler or PM me if it needs to be private.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alright then. Kyanite follows up the scouting party, taking up a position near the front. He keeps his eyes peeled, scanning the gloom at all times as they make their way towards the western tunnel.
    Last edited by hpboy111; 2012-02-19 at 07:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

By the edge of the firebreak, you can dimly make out the arching cavern walls of this place another 500 feet ahead by your reckoning, but you remind yourself that distances are deceptive here. The ground ahead of you is patched with lichen and vine-like roots - of what, you can't say. Here an there are clusters of mushrooms, burgeoning like tumors and swollen with spores.

Between you and the cave wall lies a torpid river. God only knows what's in the water, if indeed it can still be called water.

Spoiler
    Show
    The river is perhaps a hundred feet from you, running from the northwest to the southeast. It varies in width between 10 and 15 feet, and is of uncertain depth. It seems to have dug itself a channel straight into the rock. The ground on either side looks stable enough, but it's hard to tell for certain.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the group approaches the river, Kyanite signals for everyone to halt when they stand about 40ft away. Should be easy enough for us to clear with a jump. I just want to check something first. Kyanite reaches into his pack and pulls out a spool of rope with a grappling hook on the end. Kyanite quickly ties a few knots into the end of the rope with the hook, each knot 2 feet apart. He then approaches the river, intent on lowering the rope into the water to gauge it's depth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kyanite ties 10 knots each two feet apart. He's using his 50 ft spool of Silk Rope and the grappling hook as an anchor.
    Use Rope Check (Just in Case): (1d20+2)[8]

Also, out of curiosity, what kind of armor is the rest of the squad wearing?

14. - Top - End - #14

The grappling hook disappears under the inky fluid with a sucking noise that will haunt your dreams, but the rope merely pools on top and seems reluctant to fully submerge. You can't blame it.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing that he obviously won't get his measure, Kyanite pulls the rope out of the murky liquid and cuts free the part that touched the gunk. Sighing, he puts the rest of it back into his sack. He turns to the rest of the group. What do you all have as far potential bridge building material is concerned? I'd rather we not touch the water and it's far easier to walk across than to jump.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the unpleasant view, Hematite commented:
    - Well, here will be bridge, if we are to establish the trade route in this wasteland. For now, we'll have to stick to the rope bridge. I'll get to the other side and try to find somthing, that ropes can be tied to. But first let's approach and look for Youma - there's probably something lurking there. I'd expect some kind of ambush predator. So let's get ready
    He moved a bit back, raised his head to the sky and began monotonous chanting.

By lies and deceit, the one who challenges my righteousness, shall die.
    The one who watched me, in hope of exposing my weakness, be blind.
    His color shall fail, his hammer shall fall, his voice - shall quiver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifesting invocations:
    See the Unseen, Draconic flight
    Manifesting aura - sences+2

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot/Listen

Alpha Ranger1
    Spot: (1d20+10)[22]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[15]
    Alpha Ranger2
    Spot: (1d20+10)[19]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[14]
    Alpha Rogue
    Spot: (1d20+8)[16]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[12]

Kyanite
    Spot: (1d20+11)[15]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[31]

Hematite
    Spot: (1d20+11)[22]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[9]

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Failing to detect any sign of danger even with boosted senses, Hematite soars into the humid air, passing the small canyon with ease. A hooping root provides a suitable anchor point, and a rope is tied with little fuss and bother.

He looks around again. He can see the west wall clearly now, untold tones of stone arching up and over his head until it passes beyond the reach of his darkvision. Vines creep up it like tendrils, and spores hang in the air like smoke from an unseen fire. The passage is there, wide enough for three to walk abreast.

Still, despite the utter lack of movement, you can't seem to shake the feeling of being watched...

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

As Hematite oversaw the crossing of the river he began to notice a feignt feeling of alarm. Not seenig anything he did what he can - rushed the men
    Move, move. And try to stick closely - we never know, what's watching us

20. - Top - End - #20

The work proceeds quickly, but the feeling lingers. Shadows seem to move here, without any apparent cause.

Still, the path forward is now clear.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show