New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #858 - The Discussion Thread

Is anyone expecting something like this to be the next strip?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

No.

The Linear Guild will not go down anywhere near that easily.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    How did the Order not recognize Malack in the hallway? Yeah yeah, maybe he's blocked by the mummies. But Kilkil is flying above everyone. They'd definitely recognize him.
    "Only when it's funny."

Plot happens when it;'s best for the plot to happen.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    They're both valid character interpretations; the only way we could know for certain is if he's put into a situation which forces him to choose between looking awesome and living a life of luxury...

Calling it now; Elan's plan to defeat Tarquin will involve forcing Tarquin to choose between looking awesome and living a life of luxury.
    Set the building on fire, and down he goes.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shred-Bot View Post
    SO looking forward to red-haired Haley sneaking amongst the red-haired mummies and turning Z into a pincushion. No flesh to stone this time!

Edit: I am assuming, of course, that V told the rest of the Order that Z's anti-wizardry build made him (her?) vulnerable to archers.
    Actually a rogue can't sneak attack someone who has concealment.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think the most important question raised by this comic is: What's the Order's next move?

They've created a smoke screen in the corridor that we presume will take a round or two to clear. The smoke screen appears to be behind the group of mummies, but in front (blocking line of sight) of the LG.

So they could be planning to take out some mummies while the LG are distracted, which would be a good move if they were sufficiently concerned about mummy rot.

But if they are not concerned about the mummies, perhaps their target is one of the LG. Haley could evade her way through the pack of mummies and get in a shot at someone. Problems: her closest targets would be Tarquin and Nale, and even if she could take one of them out in one hit, it wouldn't be tactically useful. Also, she'd be surrounded by LG and mummies at the end of her turn.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    Actually a rogue can't sneak attack someone who has concealment.
    Haley has Improved Precise Shot; their concealment would be negated if she got right next to them, like when she took out those three rogues in the fog.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Haley has Improved Precise Shot; their concealment would be negated if she got right next to them, like when she took out those three rogues in the fog.
    Actually the concealment from fog or smoke works at melee range.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    Actually the concealment from fog or smoke works at melee range.
    Quote Originally Posted by D20 SRD
    Your ranged attacks ignore the AC bonus granted to targets by anything less than total cover, and the miss chance granted to targets by anything less than total concealment. Total cover and total concealment provide their normal benefits against your ranged attacks.
    The feat sidesteps concealment unless it's total, and it's not total at melee range.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #220

MindFlayer

Hmm.. it's been established that Haley carries many extradimensional storage devices. Hope that's not an Arrow of Total Destruction!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Hmm.. it's been established that Haley carries many extradimensional storage devices. Hope that's not an Arrow of Total Destruction!
    I was about to say this...

Arrow with Portable Hole/Bag of Holding shenanigans attached. I'm throwing it out there that the black stuff isn't a smokescreen, it's a dimensional rift that will either destroy the linear guild completely, or shunt them all to the astral plane.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord2831 View Post
    I was about to say this...

Arrow with Portable Hole/Bag of Holding shenanigans attached. I'm throwing it out there that the black stuff isn't a smokescreen, it's a dimensional rift that will either destroy the linear guild completely, or shunt them all to the astral plane.
    The Order isn't going to achieve a one-shot victory like this any time soon.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by jogiff View Post
    I know that the discussion seems to have moved on, but I don't think that Tarquin is using the Snatch Arrows feat or the Gloves of Arrow Snatching (which allow the wearer to use the feat twice a day). The feat says "Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn) or kept for later use." (Technically an arrow isn't a thrown weapon, but it can be used as an improvised one and a free attack is a free attack, even at a -4 penalty.) But Tarquin doesn't throw the arrows, at best he stabs Belkar, something that the feat does not allow.
    Actually, there are rules for stabbing people with arrows:
    Quote Originally Posted by The d20 SRD
    An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2).
    Edit: Interestingly, this also means that you can deal slashing damage with an arrow.
    Last edited by Nightpenguin; 2012-07-18 at 04:50 PM.

Characters:
    Adventuring School: Irian

14. - Top - End - #224

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    No.

The Linear Guild will not go down anywhere near that easily.
    Actually I was thinking more Angry Belkar emerges out of the mist and starts stabbing the castors, rather than Angry Belkar kills everyone

15. - Top - End - #225

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

. . .

In a world that has the Dashing Swordsman prestige class it is absolutley possible that Tarquin has a different presitge class (call it the Evil Overlord PrC, maybe?) that gives him Drama related benefits.

. . .
    I've posted before, though it's be quite a while back, the idea of an evil counterpart to the Dashing Swordsman PRC, called the Magnificent Bastard. Similar abilities, but with tweaks to fit the alignment and role better. I believe that there should be an advantage for a Monolog for instance, but with an ever-increasing risk of it backlashing on you the longer you use it. Needs something that uses the word "gambit" as well, it's a requirement.
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    They're both valid character interpretations; the only way we could know for certain is if he's put into a situation which forces him to choose between looking awesome and living a life of luxury...

Calling it now; Elan's plan to defeat Tarquin will involve forcing Tarquin to choose between looking awesome and living a life of luxury.
    you mean like acting in the shadows controlling the leader of a country and never looking like anything more then some general for hire opposed to controlling the country himself?

considering his opinion of Nale i think he puts results far above looking cool

17. - Top - End - #227

There seems to be some sentiment around here that Tarquin is being "too genre-savvy," suggesting that his ability to recognize the trap is about to be sprung is more about him enjoying a position of "more awesome by fiat," to the point where he is essentially being called the "author's pet."

I don't really think that is the case, though. Look at the scenario they are currently in:

Upon arriving at this section of the labyrinth, Roy looked around and said "I think this looks like a pretty good spot (for an ambush)."

(The ending of that sentence was pretty clearly implied, I believe)

If Roy picked out a spot as being good for an ambush, I can't imagine why Tarquin would not also notice that it is a good spot for an ambush. He didn't really have time to figure out why he had a gut feeling, but the area clearly has some characteristics that suggest "ambush."

I fact, I even think the order might be counting on this mysterious-arrow-catching-clever-person being aware enough to appreciate the ambush-value of the place. Him knowing it's a trap just causes him to overconfidently blunder into it.
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I find it interesting (and amusing) that as of now, when I've really started to dislike Tarquin's fandom and hatedom in equal measure, their rhetoric is beginning to sound suspiciously similar.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2012-07-18 at 06:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    *snip*

Upon arriving at this section of the labyrinth, Roy looked around and said "I think this looks like a pretty good spot (for an ambush)."

*snip*
    Very well, spotted, there's a shifting wall trap, and a few other nasties in that particular spot, I think Roy might be setting up a way to divide the LG.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-26 at 11:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    There seems to be some sentiment around here that Tarquin is being "too genre-savvy," suggesting that his ability to recognize the trap is about to be sprung is more about him enjoying a position of "more awesome by fiat," to the point where he is essentially being called the "author's pet."

I don't really think that is the case, though. Look at the scenario they are currently in:

If Roy picked out a spot as being good for an ambush, I can't imagine why Tarquin would not also notice that it is a good spot for an ambush. He didn't really have time to figure out why he had a gut feeling, but the area clearly has some characteristics that suggest "ambush."

I fact, I even think the order might be counting on this mysterious-arrow-catching-clever-person being aware enough to appreciate the ambush-value of the place. Him knowing it's a trap just causes him to overconfidently blunder into it.
    Tarquins little grab only put himself at the front of the party it did put the LG (POSSIBLY) in a slightly more advantageous position but theres no evidence that his actions at all inconvenienced the orders ambush

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Nightpenguin View Post
    Interestingly, this also means that you can deal slashing damage with an arrow.
    Actually, I don't think that's right. The arrow deals as much damage as a dagger of it's size, but in all other respects keeps the stats of an arrow, except as otherwise noted. I think the damage type remains unchanged, as piercing only. I could be wrong, though.

23. - Top - End - #233

Does anyone wonder if Tarquin copped a feel when he pushed Sabine out of the way?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-26 at 11:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Does anyone wonder if Tarquin copped a feel when he pushed Sabine out of the way?
    Moving fast with heavy gauntlets on, I doubt it's possible.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

26. - Top - End - #236

ClericGirl

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-26 at 11:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    A comic for my birthday!
    Thankes Rich!
    I felt the same way when 855 came out.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

In regards to Tarquin's past with Sabine, perhaps she was originally sent as a "booby trap" for him, much as she currently is for Nale. I'm sure the IFCC could have used his vast resources to accomplish fairly large-scale goals. But then she was reassigned to Nale when they saw that his exploitable ego, inexperience, overconfidence, and greater capacity for Evil made him a better pawn?

Maybe she was even Tarquin's fifth wife, for added Haley:Sabine parallels. Though Nale schtupping one of his stepmothers might be a bit much for this comic.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-26 at 11:45 PM.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I find it interesting (and amusing) that as of now, when I've really started to dislike Tarquin's fandom and hatedom in equal measure, their rhetoric is beginning to sound suspiciously similar.
    By now you must know that the Fandom can never be turned from the Tarq Side. So will it be with you!