New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread LV:55 Ponythread learns Agility!

Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show

[not S3] Also, this. Kinda want to play it...

The irony being it's cheaper than original minis :E
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Then again, that's not especially difficult...!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

Wait, what are you...? Hey! HEY! WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME!?
    Yay Kyouhen. @u@
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Also, English has a long-term habit of following other languages down a dark alley, beating them over the head with a stick and stealing their words.
    Woo! Go English! :D

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    ... I see your point, but he was a fighter for years before becoming a paladin, so I don't see it having anything to do with the Sapphire guard... Am I just over thinking this?
    Personally, I think you should go with something to represent his obscene amount of willpower. Maybe a Green Lantern ring?
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    It's conversations like these that remind me that I'm not hanging out with just potential friends over an obscure internet reference, but that I'm in the presence of several adults multiple tiers over my own intelligence and maturity... very humbling.
    Umm thanks.

But really has more to do with my spending way to much time on wikipedia over the years. And having historical tastes even back in high-school

I still don't see why we didn't just stay with Latin, rather than even bothering with the derivatives knock-offs. If it forms so much of the backbone of so many languages and is thought to be so awesome by everyone... I really should be paying more attention in class.. then again, we're on ancient china and india right now...
    I dare say you are overestimating the reach of Latin. While the Roman Empire had a ginormous effect on Western civilization its was never a homogenus society. Rome was quite content to let people carry on much of their own ways so long as they acknowledged who was the ulitmate boss and paid proper tribute etc.

The example I know best off hand is that the original New Testament portions of the Bible were written in Greek, which was in wider use then Latin in the eastern portions of the Roman Empire, and that Hellenic culture by some measures outlived Rome. Also the spoken language of Palestine region at the time would have been a tongue called Aramaic. Along with Greek more broadly.

The next thing to remember is that literacy/education was for most of human history much less common. Consider if you'd never been taught even as badly as you may remember it the proper way to say anything. And never met a grammar nazi to harp on how ya aint suppused ta yak like dat. Now add that up for a couple dozen generations, also considering that only a limited segment of the population traveled. This is why Latin which was only kept up as a scholarly/liturgical language is no longer spoken, its spoken form evolved a lot more and became the Romance languages of today. Which eventually began to get written down in their own right.

America is highly unique in history and the world for covering a vast area, of high population, and a single language. We don't even have dialects, go to Spain where Madrid and Barcelona use different forms of Spanish. I understand in some places dialects can leave people speaking the "same language" unable to understand one another. Even England manages to have a lot more variation then America considering its tiny comparative area.

Most people in history if they needed to interact would simply learn another language, often one that arose out of trade. The term lingua franca for example is an interesting case of referring to a tongue that was 80% Italian based around those city states dominating Mediterranean trade in the late Medieval and Renaissance periods. Nothing to do with French though that later became a lingua franca.

Today I can tell you from personal experience you can go all over the Med and use English just fine.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I dare say you are overestimating the reach of Latin. While the Roman Empire had a ginormous effect on Western civilization its was never a homogenus society. Rome was quite content to let people carry on much of their own ways so long as they acknowledged who was the ulitmate boss and paid proper tribute etc.
    Another thing to consider is the difference between Classical Latin (Latin as it was taught in school) and Vulgar Latin (Latin as spoken by ordinary people).

Over time, with the loss of communication between the different parts of empire and the introduction of loan words from the various barbarian tribes that migrated in different parts of Europe, these different dialects of Latin eventually mutated into the Romance Languages .

This distinction comes into play in more places than just Latin. Soras mentions the New Testament being written in Greek. In point of fact, the Greek of the NT is not classical Greek but is instead Koine Greek , which is the Greek you get when people who don't speak it as a first language write it for other people who also don't speak it as a first language. In other words, the New Testament is written in the first-century equivalent of Engrish .

So it isn't just English that follows other languages down dark alleys and beats them senseless. Languages are dynamic, changing things which are modified as circumstances and people change. Ordinary language in the mouths of ordinary people changes all the time, and it usually takes about 50 years for the Oxford English Dictionary to cave in and admit that it's not just vulgar slang. It's almost like clothing fashions. First the cool kids do it, then it spreads to everyone. Finally when your dad uses the word it's time to invent a new one, because if your father can use the word without difficulty this is a clear indication that all coolness is now lost.

So I think that even if we HAD stuck with Latin, the "latin" we would be speaking now would have little in common with the Latin of Cicero. It will either be changed out of all recognition to accommodate new realities and new concepts or we'll find another language that's suited to practical use.

In fact, if there are any French or Spanish speakers here the case could be made that they ARE speaking Latin -- that is, vulgar latin that has been evolving for hundreds of years into something distinct from that spoken in the Senate of Rome. And the new language would be more valid. Ciceronian language would be of greatest utility in Cicero's time, not in ours.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-10-26 at 10:10 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting as a comparison, Equestrian is aparently a very different case, barely having changed in a thousand years, as far as we can tell*.
    Assuming Nightmare Moon wasn't able to follow the development of Equestrian Culture from her celestial prison for the duration.

*Obviously, this is just because it's merely a show rather than some kind of indepth historical modelling excersize, but that's quite beside the point.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A contrivance so common its only really notable should it be averted.

Probably because most writers lack the means to pull it off convincingly.

(Heck we already know they wanted Zecora to speak Swahili but ran out of budget to get a native speaker)

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Interesting as a comparison, Equestrian is aparently a very different case, barely having changed in a thousand years, as far as we can tell*.
    Assuming Nightmare Moon wasn't able to follow the development of Equestrian Culture from her celestial prison for the duration.

*Obviously, this is just because it's merely a show rather than some kind of indepth historical modelling excersize, but that's quite beside the point.
    My headcanon is that Nightmare Moon was able to monitor Equestria from the moon. That's how she new exactly where to go in Ponyville as well how to speak normally.

This also ties in well with my headcanon that Luna doesn't have her memories of being Nightmare Moon as she struggles with modern language and social standards while Nightmare Moon spoke normally and didn't use the ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Actually, I can think of a very good reason for the language not to change.

I could be wrong, because I'm not super familiar with the canon yet, but it seems to me that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are, if not immortal, pretty close to it. When you have people still walking around and using the same language of a thousand years ago as a living language, it makes sense that the language would not need to change much. That's doubly true if there haven't been loads of new changes such as an influx of barbarian invaders that would necessitate new language.

It seems to me that Equestria is essentially a static, changeless society. So its language is also similarly static and changeless.

Respectfully,

Brian p.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Actually, I can think of a very good reason for the language not to change.

I could be wrong, because I'm not super familiar with the canon yet, but it seems to me that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are, if not immortal, pretty close to it. When you have people still walking around and using the same language of a thousand years ago as a living language, it makes sense that the language would not need to change much. That's doubly true if there haven't been loads of new changes such as an influx of barbarian invaders that would necessitate new language.

It seems to me that Equestria is essentially a static, changeless society. So its language is also similarly static and changeless.

Respectfully,

Brian p.
    Well there was the invasion by the Moogolians.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

The comments are more interesting than the game.

Really, I just want the turn-based pony RPG, and that's it. Can't think of its new name.

Hasbro ranks number 7 among licensors

What people may forget is that they own Wizards of the Coast, so that counts for D&D and Magic: The Gathering.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-26 at 01:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

What people may forget is that they own Wizards of the Coast, so that counts for D&D and magic: The gathering.
    Transformers is their biggest property there. D&D and Magic are tiny in comparison. Also G.I. Joe, and some of their new stuff like Littlest Pet Shop are much bigger, though since Pony is one of their "core brands" it's probably quite large as well. I am amused that they beat out Sanrio though. Take that, Hello Kitty!
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm not sure how to feel about that particular factoid. Hasbro gets number 7 for all its properties. Feels almost like a bit of width over depth.

I'm also sure it burns them up that Mattel outranks them there.

(And I'd bet money number one is by a wide margin)

15. - Top - End - #825
    Spamalot in the Playground

This is my new favorite rendition of a "Bass Cannon":
    Spoiler
    Show

Could probably hit a ship in orbit with Wubs that big...

However, I have only begun to... (wait for it)... Scratch the surface!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Though this commit did just get a few looks in my college class when I burst out laughing. Her "Problem?" face is just priceless.
    I know isn't it? :D
    I used to like candy corn... up until candy corn started hating my pancreas.

best pony doctor pic anyone?
    Spoiler
    Show

Not what I was expecting either
    Um... I'd like a second medical opinion?

... I see your point, but he was a fighter for years before becoming a paladin, so I don't see it having anything to do with the Sapphire guard... Am I just over thinking this?
    Nah it's cool. In fact, perhaps the latter idea of a sword cutie mark is better suited if we take your stance into account.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #826
    Spamalot in the Playground

Really, I just want the turn-based pony RPG, and that's it. Can't think of its new name.
    Is it like this game here or based off a different engine?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Yet another potential S3 episode title is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Title: Spike at Your Service
    Air Date: December 29, 2012
    Synopsis: TBA

Wonder what it's about. I could see this going several ways, anything from Spike getting too into a butler type role to founding his own business of helping out ponies around Ponyville and neglecting Twilight.

(And I'd bet money number one is by a wide margin)
    ...Yeaaah. No bet.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    However, I have only begun to... (wait for it)... Scratch the surface!
    Brilliant.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if it was posted before, but sort of interesting anime/MLP animation style mix...?

That ending.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

19. - Top - End - #829
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would just like to make a late, late correction in that I meant "Goats" are foreign stage technicians.

Sheeps are apparently forced laborers/slaves used as minor entertainment in ancient days (petting zoo) and penned up and probably harvested for wools in modern Equestria (sweaters!)

Pony dominance built upon the backs of other hoofed mammals......
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

20. - Top - End - #830
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, someday I want to see someone combine the bass cannon with its pun, and have Vinyl using a gun full of fish.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, Lothar Hex has this theory about My Little Pony
    Spoiler
    Show

Kinda wondering why this hasn't been posted yet. Unless I missed it I guess I'm the only one who reads Exterminatus Now

22. - Top - End - #832
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    I would just like to make a late, late correction in that I meant "Goats" are foreign stage technicians.

Sheeps are apparently forced laborers/slaves used as minor entertainment in ancient days (petting zoo) and penned up and probably harvested for wools in modern Equestria (sweaters!)

Pony dominance built upon the backs of other hoofed mammals......
    The funny things about Goats is that while the two with Iron will were clearly inteligent, they could only make....goat noises, but Iron Will clearly understood them. However, there was also a goat in Fluttershys place in the Best Pet episode. On the other hand, cows have a clear herd mentality but at least one (apparently Betsy) could walk around Ponyville like anything else in that town.

My guess? For the sake of comady,Goats speak there own, very refined and storied language, and are inteligent and world-wise. However, ponies have no clue about this, so they treat them like "wild" animals. The goats find this to funny to speak up about it, considering those in pony lands get free food and housing out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Kinda wondering why this hasn't been posted yet. Unless I missed it I guess I'm the only one who reads Exterminatus Now
    Not too far from the truth, innit? I read EN too, was going to link the comic but it slipped my mind.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    This is my new favorite rendition of a "Bass Cannon":
    Spoiler
    Show

Could probably hit a ship in orbit with Wubs that big...
    Hot dang. That is indeed a favorite Bass Cannon right there.

Not sure if it was posted before, but sort of interesting anime/MLP animation style mix...?

That ending.
    The faces are a tad too human-like for my taste, but the animation is superb. And the ending nearly made me fall out of my chair o.O

On the subject of things that we aren't sure were posted, new Rhythm is Magic is out. Here's the original it was based off of.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    The funny things about Goats is that while the two with Iron will were clearly inteligent, they could only make....goat noises, but Iron Will clearly understood them. However, there was also a goat in Fluttershys place in the Best Pet episode. On the other hand, cows have a clear herd mentality but at least one (apparently Betsy) could walk around Ponyville like anything else in that town.

My guess? For the sake of comady,Goats speak there own, very refined and storied language, and are inteligent and world-wise. However, ponies have no clue about this, so they treat them like "wild" animals. The goats find this to funny to speak up about it, considering those in pony lands get free food and housing out of it.
    Well, first of all this clip suggests an explanation for the goat noises thing. They are simply speaking Goat. As we are watching from the pony point of view, it is not translated for us.

The goat in may the best pet win might be a different type. The horns are a little different at least. More likely, it's just there as part-time assistant. Fluttershy was, after all, supposed to be on a pony pet playdate at the time.

Also, given how sentient the pets are all shown as being, (though it does vary) I'm guessing the whole pet dynamic is a lot more nuanced in Equestria and sentience is clearly not treated as a black and white issue as much as a kind of sliding scale?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

Gotta admit, the Rainbow Dash minigame looks pretty good.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, first of all this clip suggests an explanation for the goat noises thing. They are simply speaking Goat. As we are watching from the pony point of view, it is not translated for us.

The goat in may the best pet win might be a different type. The horns are a little different at least. More likely, it's just there as part-time assistant. Fluttershy was, after all, supposed to be on a pony pet playdate at the time.

Also, given how sentient the pets are all shown as being, (though it does vary) I'm guessing the whole pet dynamic is a lot more nuanced in Equestria and sentience is clearly not treated as a black and white issue as much as a kind of sliding scale?
    Probably. Neverless, some are more inteligent then others. A Cow can apparently carry a conversation and go shopping, but they still live on pony-owned farms and snap into stampeds when frightened. By contrast, the more clearly defined Buffalo have a cultural reason for trampling all over the place.

Notably, Spike managed to get a ram to carry him up a steep climb in one episode, so there probably one of the more inteligent non-equine species overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

I think that the goats are actually incredibly rude and just sort of wander around other ponies properties. The ponies are currently waging a war of ignorance against the goats who have responded by inventing a new language to try and spark pony curiosity.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    My personal headcanon is that rainbows are highly volatile, and tend to explode ferociously when under the wrong circumstances. Thus, when Rainbow Dash began emitting the stuff of rainbows, the spectra exploded, providing even greater forward momentum. Note that during the rainboom itself, her wings do not move; she pulls a 90 degree, 11G turn, arcs back up and over Cloudsdale, carrying three ponies as dead weight, all without ever moving her wings. We only see her flap again once the rainbow's run out.
    Now the real question is how does she do it? Also maybe that's why she always has so much energy. Her body produces rainbows and she needs to keep moving to burn off that excessive amount of energy. Or she explodes. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Agh, Derpy, No! You'll glitch the Hall of Fame!

comic image, no season 3 spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proof that Gen 1 Pokemon was the best.

Um- I already did Miko fallen and not...
    But basically, You think I am over thinking it? I have a tendency to do that at times...
    Could just have his cutie mark be the word "Bad".

Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show

[not S3] Also, this. Kinda want to play it...

Marine legs for both front and back legs. Now I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of that.

*Looks at his unused unloved Space Marine starter army that was only bought because the starter kit (two small armies, a rule book without all the fancy stories and things, and dice/templates etc) cost less than the hardcover rulebook*

Excuse me for a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Yay Kyouhen. @u@

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    My headcanon is that Nightmare Moon was able to monitor Equestria from the moon. That's how she new exactly where to go in Ponyville as well how to speak normally.

This also ties in well with my headcanon that Luna doesn't have her memories of being Nightmare Moon as she struggles with modern language and social standards while Nightmare Moon spoke normally and didn't use the ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.
    Nightmare Moon was also a rebel trying to overthrow the system. Why would she follow the established system when she's trying to overthrow it?

The comments are more interesting than the game.

What people may forget is that they own Wizards of the Coast, so that counts for D&D and Magic: The Gathering.
    ...Wait, that game is only for the iOS? DAMN YOU HASBRO!! All I want is some ponies....

That ending.
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    They probably should have had it be Pinkie at the end. We all know Pinkie's best friends with Rena. See?
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I'mma just start running while they're distracted...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    On the subject of things that we aren't sure were posted, new Rhythm is Magic is out. Here's the original it was based off of.
    And I was just wondering if they've made anymore of those lately. Got a few good laughs out of the chaos at the end of that one. Also someone really does need to make an actual game for this. >_>

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

i didn't see any real need to
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig