New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread LV:55 Ponythread learns Agility!

S3 spoiler

Spoiler
    Show

Okay: first impression is to rub my hands and say, Dis gun be good.

I guarantee that the image of Spike with a soldier's helmet will generate TF2 crossover art; it is in the process of being made.

Wow. Sombra actually looks menacing.

Further Studies, Celestia? Presentation of Celestia and Luna's cutie marks and then Twilight's Cutie mark in identical light? Twilight=future alicorn headcanon affirmed.

Aw Pinkie Pie, your ability to break the fourth wall has progressed to the ability to reverse time. Neat trick.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    S3 spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    I guarantee that the image of Spike with a soldier's helmet will generate TF2 crossover art; it is in the process of being made.

Further Studies, Celestia? Presentation of Celestia and Luna's cutie marks and then Twilight's Cutie mark in identical light? Twilight=future alicorn headcanon affirmed.
    (S3)

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone did already comment about it on the Youtube Link, so that's probably a pretty safe bet.

Hm... so my random thought isn't so far-fetched after all. Didn't they have a promo stand of Alicorn Twilight?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaaaand time!

*clicks stopwatch*

That's about two years with ponythread before getting in serious danger of getting tied up. Gotta say, thought it would happen a bit sooner. Advantages of lurking, I suppose.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

So yeah, I was thinking about writing a fanfiction thing, despite not being a very good writer at all. Good idea or bad idea?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    So yeah, I was thinking about writing a fanfiction thing, despite not being a very good writer at all. Good idea or bad idea?
    You're probably a better writter than me!

At at the very least, better than Stephenie Meyer or Tite Kubo!

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

[sigh] And once again, ED wastes hours to upload cell phone video, made with very bad cell phone at that, in time I could capture and process HD video (had I had source)

I'll comment once someone actually does post HD sample.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

7. - Top - End - #967

Start with a concept in mind. Have at least an idea of where the story is going to go; start with the end in mind, and maybe make an outline.

Second, ask for help. Get an editor who'll drill you to the bones on grammar and spelling issues.

Third, be bold. Tread new ground.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why Celestia reminded me of Uriel Septim VII from Elderscrolls series?
    Rest now, Twilight. For November 10th, we set sail for Crystal Empire!
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I wonder
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why Celestia reminded me of Uriel Septim VII from Elderscrolls series?
    Rest now, Twilight. For November 10th, we set sail for Crystal Empire!
    ..... the way that was read, I couldn't help but imagine Celestia as Leonidas.

And on that note:

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    [sigh] And once again, ED wastes hours to upload cell phone video, made with very bad cell phone at that, in time I could capture and process HD video (had I had source)

I'll comment once someone actually does post HD sample.
    ... there's a difference? So long as it's actually visible (and this one was clear enough to know what's going on), does it really matter?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-29 at 11:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    You're probably a better writter than me!

At at the very least, better than Stephenie Meyer or Tite Kubo!
    D'aww, thank you!
    Start with a concept in mind. Have at least an idea of where the story is going to go; start with the end in mind, and maybe make an outline.

Second, ask for help. Get an editor who'll drill you to the bones on grammar and spelling issues.

Third, be bold. Tread new ground.
    Concept: A Cumberland Ninja trapped in Equestria. Critical levels of silliness.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Appropriate Response.

Hypothetical discussion time! You are given the reins of Hasbro, specifically the My Little Pony department. They plan to start an animation based off one fanfiction from the fandom. Your task is to choose that fiction. You control distribution, and so can choose whichever fic you like. Which fiction do you choose and why?

For my part, I would go with Fallout: Equestria. Yes, it's outside the normal pony image, and I could never watch it with my family, but it is one of the premier fics in the fandom and well deserving of the title. The only problem would be with getting the tone right; Littlepip has a very deadly sense of snark, and it would be difficult to translate first person, mental monologue, to third person viewing.

Plus, it would be as long as a few regular seasons.
    There are so many great fanfiction, it's hard for me to decide. There are the great epics like Dangerous Business and Background Pony, which would last for years. But then there's the lower scale ones, like Those Whom the Princesses Would Destroy. And then there's the excellent crossovers like Silent Ponyville and Dresden Fillies, which would be totally unrealistic but totally awesome.

Ultimately I think I'd go with Those Whom the Princesses Would Destroy, for Pratchettesqueness. That was an excellent and funny little fanfic.

Eeeeeeeeeee! *flails arms wildly*
    S3 theorizing
    Spoiler
    Show
    This really seems to support the idea that Celestia is grooming Twilight for something. Not just the cutie mark backdrops, but also the whole "you must be the one to do this" line.

Also, did anyone else think that Luna looked a little... upset that Twilight was being sent to do this? I'm not entirely sure why, but it does lead my crazy theorizing in interesting directions.

So they say that its been a thousand years since the Empire was sealed away. This is obviously a bit of an approximation, since Luna was seen with Celestia turning Sombra into shadow. But, it must not have been all that long before Luna became Nightmare Moon. Maybe the two events are connected? It would explain Luna being upset about the situation.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that I really like the animation bump. Particularly seeing the shading on the Princesses standing in the sunlight. It pleased me greatly.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-29 at 11:28 AM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    ... there's a difference? So long as it's actually visible (and this one was clear enough to know what's going on), does it really matter?
    A) I refuse to watch garbage quality. Seriously, you can only tell who is who by comparing colours, you can't even see cutie marks or horns/wings sometimes.

B) There is this little thing called foreigners. I have enough trouble telling what everyone (especially AJ) is saying with HD source, I won't even bother with noisly, badly encoded, quiet audiofeed from cell phone because I won't understand anything anyway

C) Work ethic. Yes, I get sometimes giving bad instead of nothing is appealing, but I believe you should do you job as well as you can or not at all. This goes double for journalists - when people rely on you for something, you'd better deliver. This stance is what, IMHO, makes difference between news source and tabloid.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Go for it. Balmas pretty much nailed the basics, but I'll add two of my own:

4) Don't stop. If you can devote a little time each day to writing, then great. It is so much easier to write today if you wrote yesterday.

5) Don't be afraid to ask for help, advice, and editing help. It may be scary to show off work you consider "unfinished" to others, but just know that your friends are far more likely to encourage you and improve your work than spit on it.

And don't let such little things as "I'm not a good writer yet" stop you from writing. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. As Adventure Time puts it so eloquently:
    Spoiler
    Show

Good luck!
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I wasn't prepared for this...

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you kindly, Amish. ^^

I suppose I'm obligated to do something now, aren't I? >.o

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    C) Work ethic. Yes, I get sometimes giving bad instead of nothing is appealing, but I believe you should do you job as well as you can or not at all. This goes double for journalists - when people rely on you for something, you'd better deliver. This stance is what, IMHO, makes difference between news source and tabloid.
    Tabloids have more resources then Sethisto does. Unless its changed I seem to recall from last season that Seth does not have the equipment needed to capture HD video feeds off a cable box. That stuff costs money, something which unless I'm very mistaken the blog does not have many options when it comes to making that.

EqD is not a news service of any sort it is the personal project of a mere handful of people.

Now Xyro does have the equipment, and a staff account entirely on that basis. But my word the posting is only a few hours old. And stateside its Monday morning, he might be just a little busy. (Heck if Xyro is east coast he might not even have power)

I think it a damned miracle and wonder of technology we have this availible within the mere four hours of the news breaking that it was there. And that there are ponies out there that take time out of their private lives for nothing more then the scant reward of gratitude to provide this for us worldwide.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

S3 spoiler thought
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh god, Friendship is Witchcraft is right! Twilight's training to be a princess! Did you see the look on Luna's face when Celestia talked about Twilight's "next level" of studies?

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Hypothetical discussion time! You are given the reins of Hasbro, specifically the My Little Pony department. They plan to start an animation based off one fanfiction from the fandom. Your task is to choose that fiction. You control distribution, and so can choose whichever fic you like. Which fiction do you choose and why?
    Oh wow that's hard.
    I could just go for thanqol/raz/esperderek/any other ponythread major author, but... I have no idea how to pick.
    Lessee. Midnight would probably be considered a shark if she were actually on the show.
    Misted Stage could work.
    I have totally read everything thanqol has written. I haven't not gotten around to it. >_>

So, by process of elimination, Misted Stage?

I don't read much fanfiction...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    S3 spoiler thought
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh god, Friendship is Witchcraft is right! Twilight's training to be a princess! Did you see the look on Luna's face when Celestia talked about Twilight's "next level" of studies?
    That's not exactly peculiar to them. I know people have been speculating that in various forms since I joined the Herd at least.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

S3 spoiler thought
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh god, I really hope that's not where they're going with that

S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect Luna is just bothered that it's not her being trusted with this very important task, and worried that Twilight - a young and somewhat inexperienced unicorn - might fail at such an important task. Perhaps there are hints of insecurity here, that she wonders if Celestia no longer trusts her. That's the vibe I get, and what I hope it's all about.

As for Twilight's next level of studies, I really, really hope that's not to magically sprout wings and become a pretty princess of Ponyville. Perhaps Celestia and Luna know of something on the horizon which will put their friendship to the test. Maybe she foresees other more complex friendship lessons (love, surely, but one could imagine other things maybe, since the show is probably going to tread carefully with such a topic)

21. - Top - End - #981

Oh spoilers, you shall not tempt me...

It's so tempting.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Oh god, I really hope that's not where they're going with that

S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect Luna is just bothered that it's not her being trusted with this very important task, and worried that Twilight - a young and somewhat inexperienced unicorn - might fail at such an important task. Perhaps there are hints of insecurity here, that she wonders if Celestia no longer trusts her. That's the vibe I get, and what I hope it's all about.

As for Twilight's next level of studies, I really, really hope that's not to magically sprout wings and become a pretty princess of Ponyville. Perhaps Celestia and Luna know of something on the horizon which will put their friendship to the test. Maybe she foresees other more complex friendship lessons (love, surely, but one could imagine other things maybe, since the show is probably going to tread carefully with such a topic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something bothered me about the whole premise. Some super-awesome kingdom has returned, and the only person who can save the day isn't a damn deity that's lived long enough to have seen it before, but her student who constantly gets in her own way. And her brother and sister-in-law. At some point, you just have to wonder how far they will go with it. Let's just hope they grab the Elements of Harmony, because nothing says "save the world from evil" like a pink pony who throws parties.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eight minutes of an episode is well beyond where I draw the line for spoilers. Guess I won't be clicking any spoiler boxes for the next couple days.

As for which fanfic I would animate, Whom The Princesses Would Destroy would certainly be up there, as would Contraptionology.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

24. - Top - End - #984

I would animate the one where Lyra goes crazy from all the voices of ponythread telling her to stalk Twilight.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Something bothered me about the whole premise. Some super-awesome kingdom has returned, and the only person who can save the day isn't a damn deity that's lived long enough to have seen it before, but her student who constantly gets in her own way. And her brother and sister-in-law. At some point, you just have to wonder how far they will go with it. Let's just hope they grab the Elements of Harmony, because nothing says "save the world from evil" like a pink pony who throws parties.
    S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope they don't use the Elements, but they probably will. That's another one of those premises that can easily be taken too far and used too often. It would be great to see them resolve something big like this without resorting to the Elements or some other big Magic Magic Mojo. Just plain old heroics and old-fashioned wits and flank kicking.

But I guess if Big Magic™ was the solution a 1000 years ago, it's going to be the solution this time too, in some form or another. I think there was mention of a "Chrystal Heart", that's probably some ancient magic artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Eight minutes of an episode is well beyond where I draw the line for spoilers.
    A third of an episode is excessive. Personally I still wish they'd stick to nothing but the synopsis, maybe one or two screenshots, nothing more. No clips at all. But that's another thing that's never gonna happen.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Related to above spoiler, but not an actual S3 thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They did that to us before, though. Remember "Family Appreciation Day"?
    Also related to above spoiler, but also not an actual S3 thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this is true. At least Family Appreciation Day turned out to be a pretty cool episode with a basket full of Granny Smith background. So even if there are no Apple parents in S3, we might still get something good.

Maybe Big Mac's big episode?

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Oh spoilers, you shall not tempt me...
    It's so tempting.
    It's easy for me. I'm at work right now. While a little quiet internet browing is generally overlooked as long as work is done on time, someone's gonna notice SQEEing from the cubicles for 8 minutes straight.

So, totally uninformed guess on S3 discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe the "next level" of studies is for Twilight to take on a student of her own to teach friendship to?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe the "next level" of studies is for Twilight to take on a student of her own to teach friendship to?
    Now that I'd love to see. Thanks for giving me hope
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-10-29 at 12:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope they don't use the Elements, but they probably will. That's another one of those premises that can easily be taken too far and used too often. It would be great to see them resolve something big like this without resorting to the Elements or some other big Magic Magic Mojo. Just plain old heroics and old-fashioned wits and flank kicking.

But I guess if Big Magic™ was the solution a 1000 years ago, it's going to be the solution this time too, in some form or another. I think there was mention of a "Chrystal Heart", that's probably some ancient magic artifact.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Shining Armor and Cadence are there for a reason, and the only reason I mention the Elements, is because I've stopped believing these ancient evils can be solved by a party pony and a fashionista, know what I mean? A basically deity sends a group of friends to save the world. I don't WANT them to use the Elements, because of the Sailor Moon principle, but at this point, there's really no other reason to justify how they handle these big conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think in a technical, possibly overthinking it way, Twilight already has friendship students, her five friends. They all teach each other.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-29 at 01:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989

Random fic idea:

Lyra Heartstrings fits in well in her residence in Ponyville. Sitting right between Manehatten and Canterlot and the home of 'the six', nopony seems to pay much mind to a traveling cryptozoologist-musician. What they don't know is that by night, she is "The Leer", mare of danger.

After a string of burglaries, the time has come. Lyra thinks she can finally prove that Twilight Sparkle is, indeed, the devious "Nob-nob". Also her roommate has been acting weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

Non spoiler, quality rant:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Unless its changed I seem to recall from last season that Seth does not have the equipment needed to capture HD video feeds off a cable box.
    You'd be surprised how many computers these days have cards capable of accepting TV signal. And if not? Ask fans. They will provide.

If you really need to use cell phone, at least press it against table so that picture doesn't float like drunken sailor, turn the volume up, or simply use 1$ headphone plug cable which is compatible with every TV (out) and Laptop (in) to record sound in decent quality.

If I would do a better job with 10 year old PC than blog with thousands of nerdy sympathizers something is very wrong here.

EqD is not a news service of any sort it is the personal project of a mere handful of people.
    Um, by now, judging by ties/exclusives, it pretty much is. Just internet one with volunteers.

Now Xyro does have the equipment, and a staff account entirely on that basis. But my word the posting is only a few hours old.
    People on ED commented the video is 1-2 days old. Back when I was watching ST/BG you usually had HD clip in 1-2 hours, with fanmade subtitles. That was 3-4 years ago, I still use it as benchmark of fan groups, though, if it was possible then, it's possible now.

And that there are ponies out there that take time out of their private lives for nothing more then the scant reward of gratitude to provide this for us worldwide.
    You know, my friend makes small internet portal about comics in Poland. Nothing on the scale of ED, and yet, I'm sometimes envious of perks the job gives. Even if it was really 'scant reward of gratitude' I'd still strive to do the job right, sorry, if only because I sign it.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu