New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) E8 Red Hand of Doom (PF)

(Assuming everyone ready)

Jorr leads the group down a trail through the forest, but after an hour, traveled about 5 miles, Jorr holds his hand up.

"Something is wrong with these trees... For a second, I thought...webs... Oh no, spiders!"
    He says as three meduim sized creatures emerge from the trees. and two spider-like humanoids appear nearby.

(Enemy Surprise round then Ariya, Tobias, Jorr go see spoiler)

Spoiler
    Show

Rolled a random encounter, Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&pli=1#gid=0

Block Initiative rules:
    Best Init turn: Ariya, Tobias, Jorr go first.
    Enemy Turn:
    PC turn:

The Spider-like humanoid creatures fire a fine silk at the Twins, both are wrapped up on webbing (entangled), "Ahh, 'elp us mates".

One of the spiders entangled B'dar, another misses Alta, and the third spider wraps up Nightsky (entangled).

Spoiler
    Show

This is an intro to being webbed, in case you've never been webbed before.

You are entangled till free, you can attempt to escape artist or strength to free (-4 penalty to strength check to bust in web as well), standard actions.
    You can instead try to cut yourself free (if you have a slashing weapon), webs have DR5 /-, but usually low hps.

Walking into an area of web is worst, I'll cover that if you do.

Jorr draws his bow and fires at one of the spiders (S3), hitting it, but not killing it.
    -Ariya, Tobias up

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Ariya

OOC: I can't see that map

IC:

Ariya is caught unaware by the spiders but not by their webbing. With measured focus she draws her weapon and swings it low to free Nightsky, "Stay still dogboy."

Spoiler
    Show

move action: move near Nightsky and draw weapon.
    standard action: cut webbing.

I'm not sure the DC to cut webbing and not the person inside, but I hope this works.
    (1d20+12)[27] attack with arcane strike
    (1d6+9)[14] damage

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

(sorry forgot to make map public)
    Nightsky is freed from the web.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

(since Tobias is being unhere yet, I'll just let him take two turns on PC turn rather than in surprise round, almost same thing.

Remember you need to dismount unless you have a good ride check to guide with knees to move horse)

Spider-like humanoid creatures web the Twin's horses next and the spiders fire web, but only hit B'dar's horse entangling it.

PCs turn.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Ariya

She could ride but her strength lay being on her own two feet. Dismounting she begins her battle dance.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Dismount to v13
    Standard Action: Begin Battle Dance.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alta jumps off her horse and evaluates the situation. The spiders have filled the place with some kind of sticky webbing, and there is no way she'll go to trudge in that mess.

She draws her bow, which immediately starts giving off an aura of magical energy. She aims at one of the spiders, then lets off a magically-enchanced arrow which both freezes and shocks it's target.

Spoiler
    Show

Unmounting, using a point from the arcane pool to give the bow both frost and shock propeties, then firing at S1, using deadly aim.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[14]
    Shock: (1d6)[5]
    Cold: (1d6)[6]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Darian hops off his horse and draws his sword, but stays were he is,
    Call me Crazy

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

(B'dar hasn't gone yet, I might have to PM him)
    The twins draw their bows and fire shots at the ettercats, but miss due to being entangled.
    Jorr fires again twice at one Spider 3 who falls dead.

Turn: B'dar, Nightsky, Tobias

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

B'dar's eyes flash, but he quickly controls himself. Focusing his will, he forms a serrated edge around his fists.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using my Augment Suit ability to spend 1 PP for Hardened Strikes, choosing slashing damage. This lasts a number of rounds equal to my Int modifier (2).

Hardened Strikes: The aegis is considered to be armed even when unarmed, does not provoke attacks of opportunity when making unarmed strikes, and his unarmed strikes deal lethal damage. In addition, the aegis’s unarmed strikes can deal slashing or piercing damage, chosen at the time the customization is selected, instead of bludgeoning damage.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

(Tobias and Nightsky will be total defense since they not acted yet)

The remaining spider is getting restless and jumps off the webs. It tries to sink its fang into B'dar, hitting but not getting through the DR, leaving no visible wound (1 nonlethal, since no lethal no poison).

The ethercap E1 jumps at Darian, sinking its fangs, leaving no visible wound (1 nonlethal, since no lethal no poison).

The ethercap E2 jumps at Twin 1, sinking its fangs, leaving no visible wound (1 nonlethal, since no lethal no poison).

Player's turn:
    Twin 1 tries total defense to kep from being hit, Twin 2 fires but misses due to aiming not hit ally.
    Jorr tries to fire at the spider attacking B'dar, "Someone cut or burn those webs, let us get out of here before more appear." But his arrow misses and veers into the web doing nothing but geting stuck.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Ariya

The lithe girls dances toward the ethercap and floats her blade at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

5 ft move the attack x13. Ariya should already be off her horse.
    Arcane strike, battle dance, power attack, combat expertise AC 18
    (1d20+14)[17] to hit
    (1d6+15)[21] damage
    (1d20+14)[29] crit
    (1d6+15)[16] crit damage

12. - Top - End - #252

Darian steps forward at the creature attacking him, and quickly draws his weapon and slashs at it, trying to take a leg "I've felt more pain from a spider bite."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[12]Attack
    (1d6+3)[6]damage
    (2d6)[10]V.damage creature
    (1d6)[3]V.damage self
    Call me Crazy

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Ariya's slashes wound the spider-like humanoid, but Darian blow is avoided, and the creatrure growls in anger.

Turn: Alta

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Being at the wrong side of the horses, Alta is not able to get a clear line of fire at the ethercaps. This makes her slightly frustrated, and she looks at the general direction of the ethercap attacking one of the twins and starts shouting.

"You coward! Filthy crossbreed, sorry excuse of a spider-humanoid! Leave that useless brat alone and come fight me, if you just have more courage than a chicken with a troubled childhood!"

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate: (1d20+6)[12]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

The ettercap E2 jumps over the horses to came at Alta, trying to sink its fangs in him, jumping to V-16. (Darian can get an AoO). Its bites Alta in the arm, grenish fluid rushing into him (8 damage, Poison Fort Save DC 15)
    Spoiler
    Show

fail take 1d2 dex, reroll save till cured for 10 rounds, 2 consecutive saves required without magic

Ettercap 1 attacks Darian again, but misses badly (Nat 3).
    The Spider S2 bites at B'dar's horse as it can't get through B'dar's armor, the horse whineys in anger (2 damage, 2 Str). Horse can still hold B'dar, but it looks shakey after the bite.

Jorr fires at Spider #2 and kills him pelting him with arrows killing it.
    The twins fire at the Ettercap near Darian, they both miss once but remaining two shots (Rapid shot) pin the creature to the ground and killing it.

PCs Turn.

16. - Top - End - #256

Darian looks around as he sees the creature in front of him die, seeing Alta being the only one still being attacked "You can handle it Alta, I hope?"
    Call me Crazy

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alta grimaces as the creatures teeth sink into her flesh. She considers briefly pulling out her sword but in the end her oversized ego takes charge. Why would she need to change weapons against such an inferior foe?

Pulling another arrow from her quiver, she prepares to deliver a point-blank shot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Deadly Aim

Attack:(1d20+6)[21]
    Damage:(1d8+9)[12]
    Cold:(1d6)[6]
    Electricity:(1d6)[3]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

The ettercap is deeply wounded and retreats, it knows it is needs help and crys out.

Jorr, "Let us get while the gettings good."

Battle over:
    Spoiler
    Show

Exp: 600 XP each
    I'll assume you guys are able to cut through the webs before more arrive.
    I'll post next area soon. Watching Wreck It Ralph today.

19. - Top - End - #259

Darian gets back on his horse, "Anyone hurt?" If everyone is a no, or the injury is minor "Jorr, anything else in this forest we should worry about?"
    Call me Crazy

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Ariya

"I'm fine, let's keep going before anymore come," she says and gets back on her horse.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Jorr thinks about it, "Well, there are stirges, nasty blood sucking monstrous mosquito creatures; trolls, hard to kill giants; giant bees; hill giants, said to be killed off in the old war but there are rumors they still live; and normal woodland creatures like wolves and bears. But I can't be sure another monster hasn't moved into these woods since I don't come this way all the time. Right, let's go, hi go silver away" he says as they ride.

The road is uneventful for another hour, until...
    Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tM1dheGc#gid=0

A wide expanse of dark water has flooded the woodland in this low valley. Trees still protrude from the calm, muddy waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than open pools of algae-choked cesspool. The trill of frogs and the whine of insects fills the air. The Way leads right down to the edge of the flooded section, up to a causeway made of thick planks of wood lashed together with thick rope. The causeway runs for several hundred feet through the boggy patch, only a foot or so above the water (red bridge is causeway).

Up ahead you can make out the wreckage of a wagon (C/D 23-24), lying on its side and half-sunk in the flooded forest, about thirty feet from the causeway.
    The party enters the map at the bottom.

Everyone roll a perception check.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Ariya

She was glad to be away from those webs. She heard Jorr prattle on about the dangers and simply held her blade close.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[19] perception

23. - Top - End - #263

Darian continues on through the forest, hoping to not run into any more monsters.

He feels his hopes sink as he notices the wagon wreak, and becomes alert for any threats.

perception:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9]
    Call me Crazy