New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Still sad?
    Nope! Actually happy

How would one go about resurrecting a Vestige to a physical form?

If Karsus was ever to be resurrected, would he want to ever use magic again? Or would he use his own Weave? (The Red Weave is what you called it right?)
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-15 at 01:39 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Nope! Actually happy

... How would one go about dodging getting smote by every god in the setting in the most heinous of fashions, followed by eternal torture wherein every evil-aligned deity takes turns owning your soul for a century and afflicting you with their own brands of torment, malice, malevolence, and pain?

Well, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    How difficult is it to obtain Plane Shift keys to the various planes? Especially useful/powerful ones like Dal Quor?
    Depends on your DM. The focus requisite is pretty much there to give him or her the final say on how much leeway the spell has.

There have been various concepts thrown around for it over the years; some people like the idea of needing metal from the destination plane itself, meaning that it has been brought over by a demon or other powerful outsider, or that a wizard acquired some via gate or other exploration. In such cases, the requisite material is extremely rare and must be acquired from special sources. Others pick Material Plane metals with a thematic tie to the destination - tungsten for the Plane of Fire, for instance.

Some planes will be inaccessible no matter what you do; it's literally impossible to plane shift into the Demiplane of Imprisonment, for example. There probably do exist materials for Dal Quor and Xoriat, but they are likely hard to come by and pursued fanatically by bodies with an interest in the accessibility of the plane in question (or continued lack thereof).
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Well, you don't.
    ... So... Resurrecting a Vestige is a bad thing to everyone apparently?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Nope! Actually happy
    I suspected.

How would one go about resurrecting a Vestige to a physical form?
    Dangerous notion, that. It would need to in some way involve a powerful soul bonding, that's for sure. It would also draw the ire (and possibly justified concern) of a great many deities.

If Karsus was ever to be resurrected, would he want to ever use magic again? Or would he use his own Weave? (The Red Weave is what you called it right?)
    I suppose it depends where he was to enter the cosmos, and under what circumstances. It's possible that, even if he were somehow brought back, he would not have access to magic in a conventional sense. Conversely, it is possible that if he came back, the Red Weave might need to remain behind to allow him to do so (much like the first stage of a rocket launch).
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a "corrupt negative energy" thing out there like Ragnorra's Corrupt Positive Energy Wumbo?
    Last edited by Xervous; 2013-01-15 at 02:23 PM.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you give me any more details about the Red Weave? It's effects, traits specific to it, etc.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Is there a "corrupt negative energy" thing out there like Ragnorra's Corrupt Positive Energy Wumbo?
    Well, you could use a combination of Atropus' Restless Dead sign and the Horrid Blight sign, but it's not quite the same thing. It's kind of hard to corrupt something that's already destructive. Wouldn't be hard to develop a sign that does the reverse, however.

Can you give me any more details about the Red Weave? It's effects, traits specific to it, etc.
    Nope.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Banned

The existence of vestiges is really kind of terrifying for the gods. It's an area that apparently lacks any and all divine influence, and it's not Sigil.

Basically, gods can accept limits on their authority when there's another god involved, someone stronger or more entrenched in the area in question. Or even another non-divine entity like the Lady (and I'm guessing plenty of gods still think of her as one, regardless of what she'd like).

But the vestiges? They're nobodies, and they don't have the protection of some powerful god or something like the Lady. The gods can't even see them (unless one feels like attempting a binding ritual itself, which seems like a phenomenally poor idea all around).

Fear of the unknown is very common, and for beings that are close to omniscient, it's even worse. Vestiges are the ultimate unknown.

Now add on the fact that Karsus was a serious threat to the stability of the multiverse itself before he was a vestige. Someone the gods didn't like before he became involved in the unknown.

So yeah, there's probably just about no one who wants him back.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any planes in which if you left it, time is different for the creature themselves?

Example:

Plane A: Beings age slowly, could live for 3-5 times their maximum age.

Plane B: Beings age rapidly, could live for 1/4 to 3/4 their maximum age.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

11. - Top - End - #671
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Aw crap, now it's a Forgotten Realms thread.
    Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post

1) If a god dies in Toril, because of the Time of Troubles, for example, are they dead to the other Crystal Spheres too?
    The Time of Troubles was a special case and does not count as ''normal times''. In general, a god will never die on Toril or the Prime Material Plane at all. Simply put, gods don't go there, they just send avatars. And the death of an avatar does not kill a god. But if a god really did come to the Realms, or anywhere really, and did really, really die, then they would be dead everywhere.

2) Why is Toril so important to the gods? If an overdeity said that you could only enter its plane if you accepted to die of lack of worship, wouldn't the more logical course of action be to find another crystal sphere, where rules are less strict?
    Who ever said it was important? Toril is an attractive place for gods as there are lots of intelligent beings that can use magic to worship you. You also have a lot of fellow gods to play politics with and ally with and fight against. Any Crystal Sphere with an Overdeity will have rules, and most of the good Spheres will have them. Not all Crystal Spheres are equal, and chances are a ''rule-less'' one also has very little in it.

3) If a Power absorbs the portfolio from another in Toril, does this reflect in the rest of the multiverse?
    In general, no. The portfolio of a god on Toril, is not necessarily the portfolio of the god in the Planes. A god is free to have people worship ''different sides'' of them as they see fit.

The Mulhorandi gods were fleeing from another realm and needed a new power base. The gods of Gilgeam did rather likewise. Desperation to stay alive, any port in a storm, that sort of thing
    Not exactly. When the Imaskari slaves were decimated by a plague, they opened some portals to another place and stole some new human slaves. The new slaves brought there faiths with them to the Realms.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    So yeah, there's probably just about no one who wants him back.
    I do! But that is probably because I am tampering with forces beyond mortal comprehension.

The idea of Karsus being alive is funny to me. I suppose this can be traced back to my ideal that it is possible for a mortal to come out on top of a God. More or less, if Karsus ever comes back from being a Vestige he'll be wearing a shirt that says "I ruined a God's week, got away with it and all I got was this +5 shirt of awesome".

It makes me wonder: Perhaps the Lady is a Vestige that cannot be binded and has physical form? or the results of a Vestige regaining a physical form?
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-15 at 03:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Are there any planes in which if you left it, time is different for the creature themselves?

Example:

Plane A: Beings age slowly, could live for 3-5 times their maximum age.

Plane B: Beings age rapidly, could live for 1/4 to 3/4 their maximum age.
    You mean aging is different? Probably a few demiplanes here and there.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystra View Post
    Not exactly. When the Imaskari slaves were decimated by a plague, they opened some portals to another place and stole some new human slaves. The new slaves brought there faiths with them to the Realms.
    Yeah, I was being a bit quick with it. Silly Imaskari and their Earth-pirating ways .

15. - Top - End - #675
    Banned

I do! But that is probably because I am tampering with forces beyond mortal comprehension.

The idea of Karsus being alive is funny to me. I suppose this can be traced back to my ideal that it is possible for a mortal to come out on top of a God. More or less, if Karsus ever comes back from being a Vestige he'll be wearing a shirt that says "I ruined a God's week, got away with it and all I got was this +5 shirt of awesome".
    I meant among in-character powers. There are likely plenty of mortals who believe they can see benefits from doing so. But among immortals, probably not so much.

It makes me wonder: Perhaps the Lady is a Vestige that cannot be binded and has physical form? or the results of a Vestige regaining a physical form?
    By definition, a vestige has no physical form. If a former vestige returned to the real multiverse, they would no longer be a vestige. And the only reason why gods cannot touch vestiges is because vestiges don't really exist, at least not within the real multiverse. A former vestige would be a part of the real multiverse, and therefore perfectly within the domains of the divine. really, vestiges literally should be impossible; they are un-things that somehow still manage to have real effects in the real world.

If any of this were untrue, vestiges would not be nearly so worrisome.
    Last edited by Answerer; 2013-01-15 at 03:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

I would assume this counts as a Planar question, dealing with a god and all that.

How does Olidmara view Ur-Priests? Personally, I'd think that the god of thieves would prefer that his/her divine power were stolen, rather than freely given, but I was wondering if there was a canon ruling on this?
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Banned

I always liked this approach to a not-necessarily-evil Ur-Priest:
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Cleric: In the name of Bane, I wield the lightning of Thor!
    Wizard: Wait what
    Cleric: Well, I like Bane. I'm not going to use up *his* lightning, I mean, then Bane would have less lightning. Seems like a bit of a jerk move, to use up all your god's lightning.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    I would assume this counts as a Planar question, dealing with a god and all that.

How does Olidmara view Ur-Priests? Personally, I'd think that the god of thieves would prefer that his/her divine power were stolen, rather than freely given, but I was wondering if there was a canon ruling on this?
    Olidammara doesn't really consider it theft, or interesting. Ur-priests don't steal from specific deities; they siphon off divine energy in drops at a time from a multitude of sources. He views it as claiming you stole a glass of water from a pub by holding an empty mug out of the window in the rain. He might be amused if other gods grow annoyed, but in general ur-priests are too moody, secretive and insular for his liking.

What he does like is to have his followers tweaking other gods' noses by stealing from their temples. Big fan of that. Whole prestige class about it.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean aging is different? Probably a few demiplanes here and there.
    I dunno :D, I was just seeing if there was. Would be interesting to having characters be sent to a plane were you age faster, then when the come back they are old and decrepit haha.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

20. - Top - End - #680
    Bugbear in the Playground

and four more from the inherent bonuses his father forced upon him
    Why would his father need to force Golobile to accept the inherent bonuses?

Exemplars shouldn't be capable of having children with one another, as a general rule
    Oh, there are a couple, but most of their children who are currently alive are full fiends.

MORE QUESTIONS (I love this thread):

Are Fierna and Belial actually in a sexual relationship or is that just rumor?

What can you tell us about chole dragons?

Why don't exemplars take PC classes instead of relying only on their innate abilities? I can see powerfull exemplars like pit fiends and balors not seeing the need but what about exemplars like dretches?

What can you tell us about the Demon Lords Dwiergus and Lamashtu besides their titles, concerns, and layers?
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-01-15 at 06:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681

How common are Fae off the Prime Material? How much influence do Fae hold off the Prime Material?
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

22. - Top - End - #682
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I think me meant exemplars of different alignments.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    I think me meant exemplars of different alignments.
    Speaking of outsider reproduction, I remember in the 3.0 MM the sample half-celestial unicorn as the example creature for the template. Are there any celestials that are sufficently equine-like for this to be any anything but squick?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

24. - Top - End - #684

Speaking of outsider reproduction, I remember in the 3.0 MM the sample half-celestial unicorn as the example creature for the template. Are there any celestials that are sufficently equine-like for this to be any anything but squick?
    What would you say if I told you that there is a 3E supplement that has a playable race that had the race produced by the coupling of dwarves and celestial badgers?
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-01-15 at 07:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Banned

What about the children of other "opposed" exemplars like modrons and slaadi?
    AAAAGH!!! WHYYYYYY????

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

What would you say if I told you that there is a 3E supplement that has a playable race that had the race produced by the coupling of dwarves and celestial badgers?
    That I've heard of them, and that given the similarities between badgers and dwarves (both are burrowing creatures, hairy, and have a reputation for foul temperment) I find it less squicky than the idea of a coupling between, say, a unicorn and a trumpet archon.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

That I've heard of them, and that given the similarities between badgers and dwarves (both are burrowing creatures, hairy, and have a reputation for foul temperment) I find it less squicky than the idea of a coupling between, say, a unicorn and a trumpet archon.
    Why? Both are creatures native to the upper planes, have a horn, and have a reputation for positive temperament.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-01-15 at 11:26 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Why? Both are creatures native to the upper planes, have a horn, and have a reputation for positive temperament.

You're a horrible, horrible person.

Also, I thought unicorns were creatures comepletely of the PMP? (Unless maybe they have some fae ancestry or something...?)
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Why would his father need to force Golobile to accept the inherent bonuses?
    Golobile's an idiot and didn't want to read the magic book so much as eat the magic book. He's also, I should point out, literally insane.

I did say as a general rule. Uniques break the mold.

Are Fierna and Belial actually in a sexual relationship or is that just rumor?
    Can't confirm either way.

What can you tell us about chole dragons?
    Nasty creatures. Big, vicious-looking mutes with power sets that vary depending on the number of tentacles they possess. All choles have 4, 7, 9 or 13 tentacles (only two of which they control) and a nasty breath of poisonous fumes that causes ability damage.

Why don't exemplars take PC classes instead of relying only on their innate abilities? I can see powerfull exemplars like pit fiends and balors not seeing the need but what about exemplars like dretches?
    You need some degree of experience to actually display the skills associated with class levels. Dretches don't tend to get much combat experience that doesn't result in one of death or promotion.

What can you tell us about the Demon Lords Dwiergus and Lamashtu besides their titles, concerns, and layers?
    ...uh, what else do you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    How common are Fae off the Prime Material? How much influence do Fae hold off the Prime Material?
    It is possible that other planes (most likely the Outer Planes) could have fey of their own; however, the fey most prominent on the Outer Planes are the same kinds found across the Prime, arranged into two courts: the Seelie Court, which includes several sylvan gods and travels between the planes of chaotic good, and the Unseelie Court, ruled over by a goddess known as the Queen of Air and Darkness from a realm deep within Pandemonium. The fey have the most influence on Arborea, where the Seelie Court holds alliances and treaties of their own sort with other prominent pantheons (the Olympian and the Seldarine). Beyond that, the influence of the fey off the Prime is minimal.

If using the Plane of Faerie, of course, then fey are absolute rulers there.

It's sex. By definition it's squick.

Equinals are pretty equine... buuuuuut not really so much in the right way. Kirin are not actually celestials in 3rd edition, or even native to the Outer Planes. There was a planar creature called a tu'en rin that was basically a super-kirin, so that may be a candidate.

Really though, you're looking at a shapeshifted angel of some sort getting all Discovery Channel about how exactly Friendship Is Magic.

Please don't ask questions like this.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-15 at 11:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Firbolg in the Playground

If using the Plane of Faerie, of course, then fey are absolute rulers there.
    Can you elaborate on this plane, please? I've seen it mentioned in a few source books, but never in a cosmology chart. Planar traits, location of the plane, power groups, how the denizens move to and from the plane without planeshift SLAs, interesting tidbits, and other other useful general information, specifically.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show