New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XII: One More and Get a Free Deathlord

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Hm, may I ask what's the difference between Exalted: The Splat, Manual Of Exalted Power The Splat, and Caste Books? Are some of these 1st and some 2nd edition?

The game sounds really interesting (Codex Alera is awesome) but I'm not sure how many books I'll need to play, with only currently having the Exalted core, and Compass the Wyld as relevant books. Plus 3rd edition is coming out soon.
    The short answer has already been given, but I'm going to give you the long answer because I'm like that.

For Second Edition, the Exalted core covers the basic rules, and then the Manuals of Exalted Power cover each of the individual groups. There is also a very large, very comprehensive free errata online, which is officially called the Scroll of Errata and is commonly called "Exalted 2.5" because the changes are not unlike those between D&D 3.0 and D&D 3.5.

Back in First Edition, the "Exalted: The X" books were the version of the manuals of Exalted power. They have some neat stuff in them, but only about 90% of it is still canon and most of that has been ported over.

The Castebooks and Aspect Books were part of a line of almost-entirely setting material released in First Edition, written from the point of view of members of a given Solar Caste or Terrestrial Aspect. Originally, I believe the plan was to follow the Aspect Books with Castebooks for the other Exalt types, but they were unfortunately not strong enough sellers, and they got delayed and eventually cancelled. They're still really good material, though, with interesting stuff (some are better than others, and the Aspect books are almost all better than the Castebooks).

When 3rd Edition comes out, however, the developers have said that there are going to be fairly substantial setting changes, enough so that while previous editions can be used for inspiration, they cannot be treated as canon at all. This will, presumably, make the Caste and Aspect books less useful to people wanting to run an E3E game.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Bugbear in the Playground

CROSSPOST BECAUSE IT'S TOO QUIET IN HERE
    Spoiler
    Show
    [CECELYNE]
    Gods and kings of every Age
    Wouldn't you like to witness the rage?

[KIMBERY]
    Come with us as we discuss
    This, our realm of Malfeas

[TEODOZJIA CHORUS]
    This is Malfeas, this is Malfeas
    Victims scream in the endless day

[BLOOD APES]
    This is Malfeas, everybody is oppressed
    Fight and kill 'til the Yozis have to shut you up
    It's our realm, everybody scream
    In this realm, the Demon King

[CREATURE UNDER THE BED]
    I am the one hiding under your bed
    Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red

[MAN UNDER THE STAIRS]
    I am the one hiding under yours stairs
    Fingers like snakes and spiders in my hair

[DEMON CHORUS]

[NEOMAH]
    Malfeas! Malfeas! Malfeas! Malfeas!
    In this realm we call home
    Everyone hail to the Tyrant's song

[LIGIER]
    In this realm, don't we love it now?
    Everybody's waiting 'til the next one dies

[DEMON CHORUS]
    Round that corner, man hiding in the trash can
    Something's waiting now to pounce, and how you'll...

[BLOOD APE, SONDOK & LIGIER]
    Scream! This our Demon King
    Blood'n' brass, glowing green

[SONDOK]
    Aren't you scared?

[EREMBOUR]
    Well, that's just fine
    Say it once, say it twice
    Take a chance and roll the dice
    Ride with the dark in the Dragon's night

[SZORENY]
    Everybody scream, everbody scream

[ISIDOROS]
    In our realm the Demon King!

[CLOWN]
    I am the clown with the tear-away face
    Here in a flash and gone without a trace

[ADORJAN]
    I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair

[EBON DRAGON]
    I am the shadow on the sun most high
    Filling your heart to the brim with lies

[DEMON CHORUS]
    Malfeas! Malfeas!

[SWLIHN]
    Poison gases in the air
    Whoever said that life was fair

[SZORENY]
    Watch your friends as they combust
    In our realm of Malfeas

[DEMON CHORUS]
    In this realm

[LIGIER]
    Don't we love it now?
    Everyone's waiting 'til the next one dies

[DEMON CHORUS]
    Brass Malfeas might catch you unawares
    And fall like a earthquake
    Crush you right under his fist
    This our Demon King, everybody scream
    Wont' ya please make way for a very angry guy

Mal-fe-as is King of the oppressed mass(es)
    Everyone hail to the Demon King

[EVERYONE]

[SWLIHN]
    In this realm we call home
    Everyone hail to the Tyrant's song

[EVERYONE]
    La la-la la, Malfeas! Malfeas! [Repeat]

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

It'd be helpful if you put a reference to the original song

Being this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7AzNYh5bo
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    It'd be helpful if you put a reference to the original song

Being this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7AzNYh5bo
    If anyone didn't know this, they're not someone we want to affiliate with anyway.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

A nice adaptation, and better than anything I have done, but I couldn't stop reading Malfeas as Mal-fe-us to fit the rhyme.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2013-01-25 at 10:20 PM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

6. - Top - End - #996

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    A nice adaptation, and better than anything I have done, but I couldn't stop reading Malfeas as Mal-fe-us to fit the rhyme.
    Yeah, you pretty much have to. The reason why I only hyphenated that one toward the end is because that stanza is really awkward to read, even in the original. You've got to really get the rhythm in your head to keep from tripping - or at least I did.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Yeah, you pretty much have to. The reason why I only hyphenated that one toward the end is because that stanza is really awkward to read, even in the original. You've got to really get the rhythm in your head to keep from tripping - or at least I did.
    Indeed. Then again, it sort of fits that the rhyme would be a tad off. In both of them it serves to help accent the alien and "not quite right" elements of the setting.

8. - Top - End - #998

Mr hatewheel published abyssal charm prototypes inspired on the First and Forsaken Lion.
    It's sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mørke
    Ghost Armor Prana
    Glorious Solar Plate analog; summons a wraith of smoke and iron that forms into a suit of haunted armor. This armor can form over mundane armor, subsuming it. It can also possess mystical armor, so long as it is made of soulsteel or is deathly in nature. Armor provides defensive bonus and fanged faces in the armor can attempt to disarm weapons that strike the armor or damage unarmed attackers.
    Shadow Torment Chains
    The deathknight’s anima flares into multiple bands of pyreflame, resolving into phantom chains that orbit the Abyssal and react to her commands. Chains increase attack range and allow for several actions at range, such as grappling, lifting, pulling, and retrieving fallen weaponry.
    Dark Headsman’s Guillotine
    Death’s champion summons a soulsteel guillotine to behead a victim caught in her Shadow Torment Chains.
    Iron Maiden’s Kiss (apex)
    The deathknight wrenches her chains of torment, ripping two halves of a terrible suit of armor across the Shroud. This wicked, phantasmal armor is lined with heavy spikes, and attempts to slam shut around a victim. The grizzly armored corpses created by this Charm can be knighted by the Abyssal and welcomed into battle at her side.

Howling Armor Horror (Upgrades Ghost Armor Prana)
    The Abyssal can pay to cause the armor’s faces to bubble and emerge, howling and glowing with ghostflame, increasing the power of her Threaten actions. Armor whispers warnings to the deathknight, reducing the effectiveness of surprise attacks. A 2xp upgrade allows her armor’s howl to unseat earthly forces and send cracks through the Shroud. When she is in or near shadowlands or places of death, her armor’s howling causes earthquakes that terrify wildlife, send military units into rout, and cause movement penalties to her opponents.
    Ravenous Blood Mist
    When the Abyssal is injured, her Ghost Armor exults, feeding on her pain and drinking her blood. With a single violent thought, the Abyssal can expel her blood in a fine mist from the faces in her haunted armor. Doing this when she is uninjured costs her lethal health levels. Her blood is full of razors, attacking on its own turn. For 2xp, death’s Lawgiver may purchase an upgrade; when her attack falls on the same instant as her blood mist, she may pay 2 motes to enhance her attack with a blood razor burst. Doing so cancels her blood mist effect.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Her blood is full of razors
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

Makes me think of Deadman Wonderland.

I approve.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's pronounced Mal-fey-as, surely?

Mal-fees as in the word Malfeasant is plausible, I guess, but it sounds remarkably unimpressive.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    It's pronounced Mal-fey-as, surely?

Mal-fees as in the word Malfeasant is plausible, I guess, but it sounds remarkably unimpressive.
    I normally go with Mal-fees. The us fit better than the as because it rolled off the tongue better for keeping to the music.

13. - Top - End - #1003

I normally go with Mal-fees. The us fit better than the as because it rolled off the tongue better for keeping to the music.
    Oh, I thought you meant staccato. I actually pronounce it Mal-fee-us since it originally struck me as faux Anglicized Latin.

Presumably, the name itself is derived from malfeasance and Malphas.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

I assumed malfeasance as well. Since malfeasance is mal-fea-sance I just add an s to the end of the second syllable.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, Mal is a Latin prefix meaning bad, so the intended root for working out pronunciation is fairly clear. Much as the J in Adorjan is pronounced as a Y due to it's Hungarian roots.

That said, if it ended in "us" in Latin, it'd probably be spelled that way. Fey as opposed to fee... I'll admit that just sounds more right to my ear rather than having a more clear reason.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always pronounced it Mal-fey-as. Of course, I've always just said Li-gee-er.

I also have to change how I pronounce Adorjan...
    Last edited by Amechra; 2013-01-26 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #1007

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    That said, if it ended in "us" in Latin, it'd probably be spelled that way. Fey as opposed to fee... I'll admit that just sounds more right to my ear rather than having a more clear reason.
    That's where the "Anglicized" part comes in. I can only recall seeing the -as as a variant of -us in generic fantasy, so I assumed that the -fe- would be pronounced with the harder sound. Of course, it might be that the author was trying to avoid the "oos" pronunciation that -us has in Classical Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I've always pronounced it Mal-fey-as. Of course, I've always just said Li-gee-er.
    Whether I say Li-jee-er or Li-jeer depends on what I'm doing and how much caffeine factors in my remaining conscious.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ettin in the Playground

I always pronounce Adorjan as AD-JOR-AN. Because I can't read.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Halfling in the Playground

Madred was an Abyssal?

And do you guys like Exalted webcomics?
    Last edited by Sparkify; 2013-01-28 at 04:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1010

Which ones? Following lunar quest, manse of ivy and chorus of the never born at the moment.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Which ones? Following lunar quest, manse of ivy and chorus of the never born at the moment.
    Lunar Quest isn't a webcomic.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-01-28 at 10:12 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

i was wondering when keychain was going to continue

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

Hang on, Keychain of Creation did WHAT now?

EDIT: that was mean. It has not.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2013-01-29 at 02:47 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

To me it's always been Mal-fee-ahs and Lie-ger
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Hang on, Keychain of Creation did WHAT now?

EDIT: that was mean. It has not.
    It was a question, not a statement.

And to answer blazingshadow, KoC is dead, it will not be restarting. Obviously this isn't technically "official", but realistically its finished.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Not necessarily. If the author/artist's joint issue gets better, it might start up again.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

It's the same author as Lunar Quest. He's said he's gonna finish Lunar Quest, then go back to KoC, iirc.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

28. - Top - End - #1018

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Lunar Quest isn't a webcomic.
    Eh, if Lunar Quest isn't a webcomic than Problem SLeuth/ early homestuck isn't one either, both being a sequence of images and text partially driven ny reader input. But no! The term webcomic must remain UNSULLIED But yeah, Quest/Adventure is a pretty good term for them.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    It's the same author as Lunar Quest. He's said he's gonna finish Lunar Quest, then go back to KoC, iirc.
    He said what? Yes, hope lives!
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."