New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #915 - The Discussion Thread

Not sure if this has come up yet but could one of the most important bits of information in this strip be Sabine destroying the TV, possibly stopping the IFCC from seeing what is going on for the next few mins/hours. Especially since they now face the prospect of sending V back without being able to see what happens as soon as she gets back.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Not sure if this has come up yet but could one of the most important bits of information in this strip be Sabine destroying the TV, possibly stopping the IFCC from seeing what is going on for the next few mins/hours. Especially since they now face the prospect of sending V back without being able to see what happens as soon as she gets back.
    I doubt three archfiends with the power they've already demonstrated will be blocked from scrying for more than a minute by having lost their Hell-Damned blood plasma TV.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now they have to watch in low-definition

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I doubt three archfiends with the power they've already demonstrated will be blocked from scrying for more than a minute by having lost their Hell-Damned blood plasma TV.
    Not that I'm doubtful or anything (really I bet they're almost godly), but what power have they actually demonstrated? I'm kind of drawing a blank.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

5. - Top - End - #635

Quote Originally Posted by Demolator View Post
    Not that I'm doubtful or anything (really I bet they're almost godly), but what power have they actually demonstrated? I'm kind of drawing a blank.
    You mean other than stopping time for their entire long negotiation with Vaarsuvius, scrying through Cloister, and splicing the souls of three epic-level mages to her/him--one of whom was powerful enough to cast Familicide?

One of them was able to make popcorn.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You mean other than stopping time for their entire long negotiation with Vaarsuvius, scrying through Cloister, and splicing the souls of three epic-level mages to her/him--one of whom was powerful enough to cast Familicide?

One of them was able to make popcorn.
    They also have a good mailing system in place too, I guess.
    Last edited by DolGrenn; 2013-09-01 at 08:58 PM.
    Wow, it's too bad I don't have a son who's a big shot hero to go clean that up for me. OH WAIT.
    Power is power.Power I can't access is no power at all.
    The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

They'll probably need to put a call into the supply department and have a new HDTV brought in. Depending on how efficient Malsheem is this time of year, that could take anywhere from two minutes (having someone teleport to the supply room and take twenty locating a new TV) or a lot longer (if they have to fill out forms).

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demolator View Post
    They are Archfiends, probably on par with Dispater, Mammon, Baalzebul, Gra'azt, Anthraxus or Yeenoghu, but probably not as powerful as Asmodeus, Orcus or Demogorgon. So far we've seen them being able to create an Epic level Time Stop effect, splice three souls to Vaarsuvius, scry through the Cloister, and yank V and Blackwing's souls out of their bodies all the way into the Ninth layer of the Nine Hells. They're pretty powerful. They're also expert manipulators and make great popcorn.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    They're pretty powerful. They're also expert manipulators and make great popcorn.
    You might even say that their popcorn is damned tasty.

/badum-psh
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #640
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

So next IFCC strip we see two kytons from a chain electronics store lug in a new scrying device. Probably an even better one!

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    So next IFCC strip we see two kytons from a chain electronics store lug in a new scrying device. Probably an even better one!
    Well, the Kyton city of Jangling Hiter does have the best chain stores in the Nine Hells.

12. - Top - End - #642

There's no point arguing what capabilities the archfiends have. They are able to do whatever the plot requires them to.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

So Invasion of the North by Western Continent?
    Plus they could take on Gobbotopia to cut off supply line, reserve pool, and start a distraction.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #644

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Smallest View Post
    There's no point arguing what capabilities the archfiends have. They are able to do whatever the plot requires them to.
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Whatever the plot requires" is the most pointless argument anyone can make. Yes, we know that--we know this is a story, not a strangely-presented history lesson. However, if we just say, "There's no point in discussing this because what will happen is what the plot demands" then there's no point in having *any* discussion on these boards, and Rich might as well close down the OotS part of the forum now!
    Mind if I sig this?

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Just realized the Fifth Book is already going to be twice as long as Dungeon Crawling Fools. Yikes!

17. - Top - End - #647
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

The "point" in discussing it is in trying to figure out what directions the plot might go.

Because, you know, some people actually enjoy the exercise of trying to guess what will happen next, and then seeing how close their guesses are when it actually happens.

It is the difference between science and faith.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    The "point" in discussing it is in trying to figure out what directions the plot might go.

Because, you know, some people actually enjoy the exercise of trying to guess what will happen next, and then seeing how close their guesses are when it actually happens.

It is the difference between science and faith.
    You never actually get to see the truth about science though. :P

19. - Top - End - #649

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Samalpetey View Post
    Mind if I sig this?
    Feel free!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The archfiends/Directors do have whatever power The Giant assigns to them, since they are his unique creations. However there have already been limits placed on how powerful they are. They lack the ability to grant Cleric spells (thanks to a non-compete clause with the Evil gods) and they are individually weaker than a Lesser Deity with 10 Divine Ranks. They can not act directly on the Material Plane, unless they are making a deal. So they're powerful, but weaker than the gods of the OotS-verse.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    The archfiends/Directors do have whatever power The Giant assigns to them, since they are his unique creations. However there have already been limits placed on how powerful they are. They lack the ability to grant Cleric spells (thanks to a non-compete clause with the Evil gods) and they are individually weaker than a Lesser Deity with 10 Divine Ranks. They can not act directly on the Material Plane, unless they are making a deal. So they're powerful, but weaker than the gods of the OotS-verse.
    alternatively they simply see no reason to annoy Tiamat yet and took the punishment because they didnt want to stick out to soon, better to look the fool than be one as Tarquin qould say

but ya there probably individually weaker then a god

22. - Top - End - #652

I am not sure why everybody seems to hate Tarquin even more than before. He is a smart, power-hungry leader who will do anything to control those around him. He tries to use reason and logic with his friends and enemies and, if all else fails, he takes them out. He is equal to O'Brien from 1984 in that he seems to be able to out think or, at least, think many steps ahead of others. He even seems to understand and, if not enjoy, accept his place within the story/setting.

He failed to make Nale into the image of what he wanted in a son. He destroyed the damaged 'product'. No doubt he will try to trick Elan into working for him. He is testing his future sister-in-law, to see what her barriers are. What is she willing to do? How far is she willing to go?

In some ways I do find him distasteful, more so than Xykon for example, because I am not too sure on his REASON for what he is doing. I know why Redclock is doing what he is doing (and even feel a little for his case) and I understand the twisted history that made Xykon (and even found some of his wisdom, and some of the things he says, to be amazingly lucid if somewhat shocking coming from a villain who I keep under-estimating).

I think the reason people hate Tarquin is he truly seems to be doing this for power. Not the power to change things or make things better or even make himself wealthy or so on so forth. He has power to gain power. A ends to a means as it were, if I can quote another villain (from Hellsing). He is using his power to keep himself in power. Not the public power of being a King or Emperor. But the power of being THE government. The structure that is always and forever even as the top changes. He has made himself the SYSTEM. And all others are wheels.

Bleh, sorry, history majors do rabble so.

Like I said, I compare him to Orwell's O'Brien, so am not too shocked that a fictional character is able to do such things. Just kind of shocked when people get upset by it.
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

23. - Top - End - #653

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View Post
    I am not sure why everybody seems to hate Tarquin even more than before. [...]
    While I've hated Tarquin since before it was cool...

...I confess, I am thrown by the sudden tide of negative feeling toward him based on the current strip. There is nothing in it that strikes me as at all surprising. Did people really have this concept of him as above snobbery?

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Did people really have this concept of him as above snobbery?
    Thinking about it in the abstract and having it thrown in your face are two different things.

Also, people might have looked at the fact that lizardfolk and humans were side-by-side in Tarquin's army and that he was 'best friends'* with a lizardfolk as to think he had relative notions of equality when it came to such things.

* I know. Objection taken as read.

That their idealized version of Tarquin could be petty, and more importantly petty on things that they care about? Well, backlash.

It's one thing to be evil, after all. But to be gauche or boorish? Well that's MUCH worse.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #655

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Do we know for sure that Haley's uncle is a traitor or has been just so heavily implied that I just assumed it?
    You know, Uncle Geoff and Miron look an awful lot alike. Same skin tone, hairstyle, and judging from the lines under their eyes, likely similar in age. Perhaps Ian's insistence that "blood doesn't lie" is more true than he realizes, if his brother-in-law is related to one of Tarquin's party members.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    You know, Uncle Geoff and Miron look an awful lot alike. Same skin tone, hairstyle, and judging from the lines under their eyes, likely similar in age. Perhaps Ian's insistence that "blood doesn't lie" is more true than he realizes, if his brother-in-law is related to one of Tarquin's party members.
    This is a Stick Figure comic. There are only so many ways to draw people.

Also there is this comment about the matter from The Giant.

Warning. Some level of snark at the last link.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-09-02 at 08:45 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #657

Ah, thanks for the link, Porthos. I hadn't seen that thread before.

To be honest, my first thought was that it was just a coincidence, anyway. But with Miron showing up and dragging Ian back into the plot, I thought that we could be headed for another ominous plot-related reveal, and Tarquin brought a whole platoon trained for that purpose.