New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    4. Sabatoge. Tunnels are easy to collapse, especially with the existance of things like Bloodfire, and such, things could go down fast. If the tunnel is wide enough for it not to be an issue, its wide enough to accomidate a small army. If it isn't, it isn't worth it to make the effort.
    I'm still trying to figure out why plate armor is off the table, but magical nitroglycerin is just fine.

EDIT: On second thought, Nitroglycerin is a poor comparison. It's really more like a more volatile (but slower-burning) form of napalm.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-01-15 at 04:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why plate armor is off the table, but magical nitroglycerine is just fine.
    Plate Armor is off the table? How so? Why so? Who so? Really?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yep, that's what I intended. So far my mental head-canon for dwarves looks like:
    1. Some Dwarves come into being in Sulvan's Fury.
    2. Some migrate southeast, on the way encountering Ore Elves. They interbreed and create Razdissi Dwarves, a hybrid (but still mostly dwarf).
    3. The present. Ore Elves and Razdissi Dwarves are separate, and humans are everywhere.

I must stress that this is only my head canon and doesn't reflect the views/history of the other mighty dwarf nations.

@plate armour and magical napalm: plate armour isn't exactly "off", we're just at a very early stage of development (early medieval) and haven't invented it yet. We're certainly going to attempt to invent it ASAP. And I don't think the bloodfire is either fully controlled or weaponised yet; if it was at the start that would be a little overpowered.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-01-16 at 04:27 AM.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    Plate Armor is off the table? How so? Why so? Who so? Really?
    Let me rephrase that, because it's not quite true.

The defined starting level of the game is Early Medieval, which means that Plate Armor is not a thing without people actively developing it.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-01-15 at 04:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still trying to figure out why plate armor is off the table, but magical nitroglycerin is just fine.

EDIT: On second thought, Nitroglycerin is a poor comparison. It's really more like a more volatile (but slower-burning) form of napalm.
    Welllll... Yeah, sounds about right for Bloodfire. As for its existence... I was treating it like a Story Element from the Playground games, and it worked, not my fault no-one else did!
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 05:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    I have sent a PM to Logic about a possible underground nation, but until I receive a response I don't really want to write it all up.
    Acceptable, as long as you make your nation good neighbors to mine. Your fluff should not contradict mine concerning the Lord of Fire, as my nation went to war over their puppet government.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Yep, that's what I intended. So far my mental head-canon for dwarves looks like:
    1. Dwarves come into being in Sulvan's Fury.
    2. Some migrate southeast, on the way encountering Ore Elves. They interbreed and create Razdissi Dwarves, a hybrid (but still mostly dwarf).
    3. Around the same time, more dwarves move southeast, becoming those at Keldagrim. They aren't Ore Elf hybrids.
    4. The present. Ore Elves and Razdissi Dwarves are separate, and humans are everywhere.

I must stress that this is only my head canon and doesn't reflect the views of the other mighty dwarf nations.

@plate armour and magical napalm: plate armour isn't exactly "off", we're just at a very early stage of development (early medieval) and haven't invented it yet. We're certainly going to attempt to invent it ASAP. And I don't think the bloodfire is either fully controlled or weaponised yet; if it was at the start that would be a little overpowered.
    The Fuzzy Bearded Dwarves at Sulvan's Fury approve of this head canon message!

Now a word from the Primarch:

"Go forth and Beardify... I mean multiply brothers, and populate the Underworld!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    A few concerns I have with a network of tunnels is the possibility of a few things:

1. Assassins, swat teams and spys. They would easily get around without hibition.

2. Small towns, villages and such. Many of these places rely heavily on traders going through, and the removal of such creates a disparity that will make many of these types of places to fail. And while some of you may be able to subsist on that, most of my small towns and places are in place for a reason.

3. What does a tunnel accomplish that a road will much more easily as well? If I'm hearing you all correctly, any such country that is willing to have the tunnel system must also be willing to accommodate the project. Well, what if a region that desires the system to connect them is cut off by a country that isn't? Dig through anyway? That's a good way to start a war.

4. Sabatoge. Tunnels are easy to collapse, especially with the existance of things like Bloodfire, and such, things could go down fast. If the tunnel is wide enough for it not to be an issue, its wide enough to accomidate a small army. If it isn't, it isn't worth it to make the effort.

5. Upkeep. The amount of people needed to patrol these tunnels, the condition of lands, the constant fluctuations of power...lighting, monsters, disasters...
    1. True, yet assassins, swat teams and spies can do the same on the, and world is a vast open space, so they could do it easier without inhibition. The Underway would provide no hiding spots, and each province could have its own gates for security at the entrance of the Underway.

2. This true. However the same argument can be made against Naval Trade. better yet is to offer the chance to traders and Nations to pick their preferred form of trade route. It is optional after all and not forced upon anyone.

3. The Underway will find a way to reach that Nation without encroaching on the Underground of an unwilling Nation. Same as with land trade routes.

4. Well, sabotage is a risk, like piracy and brigands. But lets hope no Nation wishes to disrupt the trade by using such advanced methods of destruction.

5. Actually the Upkeep would be considerable lower then maintain land trade routes or even sea routes. And the gains would outweigh the costs. If a disaster is powerful enough to damage the Underway, then it would be safe to assume that it would be devastating on the surface, so this is a universal problem, not one specific to the Underway. Soldiers to protect it wouldn't be as needed as on the Surface. Just control the entryways, and only traders as such have access. As for lighting, I think solutions can be found.
    Last edited by Percy; 2014-01-15 at 05:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248

3. Around the same time, more dwarves move southeast, becoming those at Keldagrim. They aren't Ore Elf hybrids.
    4. The present. Ore Elves and Razdissi Dwarves are separate, and humans are everywhere.

I must stress that this is only my head canon and doesn't reflect the views of the other mighty dwarf nations.
    I'm good with that!
    I'm thinking the original Elves evolved from a race of primitive shapeshifters that branched out, shapeshifting characteristics similar to their environment. They eventually lose their ability to shapeshift, the environmental characteristics remaining due to their widespread use.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Welllll... Yeah, sounds about right for Bloodfire.

And, um. If you make plate armor trees a resource, I'm sure it'll work? I was treating it like a Story Element from the Playground games, and it worked, not my fault no-one else did!

(Well, okay, plate armor trees, probably not, but... You get the point.)

Plate Armor trees. I'll remember that one.

"In the depths of the cave, you find the motherlode, the big one! It's a vein of functional M16s!"

For srs, though, you might want to tone it down just a little bit, or at least make it too rare to throw around except in the direst circumstances. I dunno if you saw my maths on the last page, but a small vial of the stuff apparently contains energy comparable to a few gallons of gasoline.

A pocketful could probably burn down a castle. Made of stone.

10. - Top - End - #250

"In the depths of the cave, you find the motherlode, the big one! It's a vein of functional M16s!"

For srs, though, you might want to tone it down just a little bit, or at least make it too rare to throw around except in the direst circumstances. I dunno if you saw my maths on the last page, but a small vial of the stuff apparently contains energy comparable to a few gallons of gasoline.

Holy Lonely Pony Eating Macaroni! Men, rebuild the Temple with diamond walls!
    - Arkhosarra.

Did you know Arkhos is Greek for "leader"?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Holy Lonely Pony Eating Macaroni! Men, rebuild the Temple with diamond walls!
    - Arkhosarra.

Did you know Arkhos is Greek for "leader"?
    Erm... Diamond is pure carbon and would likely burn better

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, I do find it rather strange in that everyone around is throwing things such as Iron/Wood/Fish/Plants/Meat, with the oddball Shintouite Metal (Which is just a fancy name for Iron as far as I can tell) and Giant Vermin (Big animals, so comparable to Elephants), and then there's one nation chucking napalm bombs the size of footballs. With no way to defend against it aside from "Don't get hit".
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Keldagrim offers Iron ore in exchange for fabrics, you dont want naked dwarfs running around now do you? They have more beards than you might imagine!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

You win the game instantly.
    I'd be a rather bad GM if I didn't, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    So, I've got a couple of questions. First, if I form a Great Kingdom/Empire, and I have various other vassal rulers under me, do I get more actions per turn(or rather, does each ruler/vassal get their own five?) or is it additional rather than multiplicitive? And, can we create trade agreements before the game begins?
    I'd say they'd each get their own five. Or maybe the ruler would get one extra per country tier (so 6 actions for Great Kingdom, 7 for Empire). I'm unsure of the current set-up still. While I like the 4 regions -> Great Kingdom, 3 Great Kingdoms -> Empire structure, I may change how it goes with players.

You can agree with players before Round One on trade agreements, but you must still spend one of your actions on them in Round One if you do so. Because you only have five actions, you have to plan carefully. Action management is going to be vital.

I must stress that this is only my head canon and doesn't reflect the views/history of the other mighty dwarf nations.
    Nice player interaction on lore creation. I love this kind of collaboration.

Arkhosia, considering your avatar, are the three kinds of elves going to be rather drow-like in the vein of Drowtales?

Plate armor is a developed technology, whereas bloodfire exists naturally. For bloodfire to be used in any meaningful way, C'nor will have to spend actions on technological advancements (which can only happen once per ruler with Science 5).

However, toning down the power to more reasonable levels is probably wise. Or making it non-volatile and simply good burning material.

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Erm... Diamond is pure carbon and would likely burn better
    Isn't it too compact for it to burn?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-15 at 05:34 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Isn't it too compact for it to burn?
    It just has stronger molecular bonds than other forms of carbon which means it need higher energy to start burning. The bloodfire would cover that handily.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Small vial was perhaps a poor choice of words; it's probably.. Four ounces? That's 4 gallons, roughly, an ounce, I think. Unless I messed up my math somewhere.

So, yes, it's dangerous, but it's not that dangerous.

17. - Top - End - #257

there may besome resemblance: due to my love of RWBY, drowtales, Sword Art Online, RvB, and Mass Effect, my stuff is prone to subconsiusheavy influence.

also, no power so typing on phone
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

ill join the under way club. but only a little. one main junction in a major city should be good. morph, in case you did not notice, i added religion to my mega post. and if blood fire is so good, then why do i produce coal. because its way cheaper. or i don't, and have to go back and change that, but its something to consider. expensive napalm. HOLY NAPALM. this is now a thing

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

there may besome resemblance: due to my love of RWBY, drowtales, Sword Art Online, RvB, and Mass Effect, my stuff is prone to subconsiusheavy influence.

also, no power so typing on phone
    All good influences, I'd say. (Well, save maybe RvB, but I don't know much about it.)

Here's to hoping your power will be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    ill join the under way club. but only a little. one main junction in a major city should be good. morph, in case you did not notice, i added religion to my mega post. and if blood fire is so good, then why do i produce coal. because its way cheaper. or i don't, and have to go back and change that, but its something to consider. expensive napalm. HOLY NAPALM. this is now a thing
    Well...

...coal is safer.

But anyone is free to start trading with C'nor and get their hands on bloodfire to use for various purposes. I'm sure there will be no problems. *steeples fingers*

20. - Top - End - #260

All good influences, I'd say. (Well, save maybe RvB, but I don't know much about it.)

Here's to hoping your power will be back soon.

Well...

...coal is safer.

But anyone is free to start trading with C'nor and get their hands on bloodfire to use for various purposes. I'm sure there will be no problems. *steeples fingers*
    especially the first two.
    estimated power restoration is in 3.5 hours :(
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #261

You know, I get the feeling Bloodfire is gonna blow up in someone's face. And by that I mean, enough could destroy a city.

But in all seriousness, how hard to come by is Bloodfire? Is it common, or only like a gallon a year?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Question! Did what you said mean that no kind of technological advance can happen without both a Ruler with 5 science and none having happened already in that ruler's reign?

Also, if so, what is a technological advancement being defined as? And why is it a once-a-Ruler thing?

Edit: It's not that rare. Think Spice on Dune. That said, springs do dry up and new ones occur in their place, so it can be difficult to locate, and it only occurs in the desert in the Heartwaste.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 06:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

i thought it was just big jumps that needed curiosity five. normal, slow things happen with a normal action.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm sure there will be no problems. *steeples fingers*
    Note to self: Flaming. Arrows.

After all, volatility is a good thing if it's in your enemy's hands.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Note to self: Flaming. Arrows.

After all, volatility is a good thing if it's in your enemy's hands.
    It's primarily the raw bloodfire that's that volatile.

And, um, I doubt you want to set off an entire spring all at once.

Edit: That said, yeah, our bombs will boom. And some of the other stuff too.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 06:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Bereginia
    Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Lake of Fire: Located beneath Bayder's Mountain, this volcanic lake is claimed as the origin of the Ogien tribe of Bereginia. Few Beregines live in the area around it, as it is too hot and hostile for them; however, it is a common site of pilgrimage and ritual sacrifice.
    Cavern of Light: This cave is filled with mysterious glowing crystals that provide light to the Beregines, and is claimed as the origin of the Swiatlo tribe of Beregines. They are harvested regularly, but regrow quite quickly. The capital city, Wielkagrad, is located nearby.
    River Russalno: A long, snaky underground river supplies the Beregines with water, fish and occasionally transport. It is claimed as the origin of the Woda tribe, who still live mostly along its length.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Beregines are a slender, mammalian race rarely topping three feet tall. They are divided into five tribes- the Ogien, Swiatlo, Woda, Ziemia and Ciemnosc, though now they are mostly ritual and have little ethnic meaning as generations of inbreeding means tribal traits appear throughout the population. The females are outnumbered by the males three to one, and their women possess most positions of power and can expect to inherit, as males possess very few rights and are treated mostly as servants, bodyguards and generally expendable.

The Ogien tribe consists primarily of red skinned, yellow-eyed and hairless individuals with considerable heat resistance.

The Swiatlo tribe consists primarily of exceptionally pale, white-haired individuals with large, glowing eyes.

The Woda tribe consists primarily of pale skinned, blue-eyed, hairless individuals with webbed fingers and toes and capable of holding their breathe for long periods of time.

The Ziemia tribe consists primarily of grey skinned, brown-eyed, sturdily built individuals with thick grey hair.

The Ciemnosc tribe consists primarily of black skinned, hairless individuals with large, black eyes and the ability to navigate in areas with practically no light.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Light Crystals: These mysterious glowing crystals store and release light slowly and grow quickly. They are very small and give off a similar amount of light to a candle, though they can be recharged by leaving them in areas of natural light. They cannot recharge other light crystals, however, but sunlight will work just as well.
    Granite: There are some extensive granite quarries near the Lake of Fire, and it is the primary building material they use.
    Iron/Steel: There are enough iron mines to provide a surplus worth selling, and steel is used in place of ceramics, wood and clay.
    Wood: Most of the plants that grow underground do not burn easily and a lack of coal veins means they rely on imported wood and coal to produce much of their steel.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The Beregines worship their ancestors, and each tribe claims a different area as the supernatural origin of that tribe- for the Ogien, this is the Lake of Fire, for the Swiatlo it is the Cavern of Light, for the Woda it is the River Russalno, for the Ziemia it is the granite-rich caverns and quarries and for the Ciemnosc it is the dark, winding tunnels with little light.

I'll have to stop now; it's time for bed.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Question! Did what you said mean that no kind of technological advance can happen without both a Ruler with 5 science and none having happened already in that ruler's reign?

Also, if so, what is a technological advancement being defined as? And why is it a once-a-Ruler thing?
    Yes, it can only happen once per ruler with Science 5. This is so that someone with Science 5 cannot pump out technological advances every turn and get a major advantage. With clever play, someone could get incredibly far ahead with just three-four of them, a rate of technological advancement similar to the 19th-20th century.

Take into account that every player can do this. And there are ways to acquire technologies you haven't invented yourself (though after acquiring you should spend at least one action investigating it to be able to replicate it perfectly).

Anything that would be new, that needs to be created by people, and that is non-magical, likely requires a technological advancement.

Keep in mind that Science 5 also allows you to introduce a new resource in a region you control (which could add a new one entirely, or remove the need to import something and make the region more self-sufficient). Some resources might be necessary for some technological advancements, which is one reason you can EITHER put in a new resource OR invent a new technology once per ruler with Science 5.

Planning is key.

EDIT: By the way, I added in the Population in the Countries post for the players already fully done fluffing. Population ranges between 12,000 and 40,000 and was decided by random roll.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-15 at 06:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Do we have to spend actions on sending trade goods to people we have trade alliances with each time or just once when the alliance is established and then it becomes auto?

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Hey Blade, I think we might be able to work on a united backstory for our people. As of right now I have the Woodwind people inhabiting the shore as their main center of population and kind of an insinuation of having arrived from across the sea. Given their similar physical descriptions and the aptness your people having crossed the ocean and developing into mine I was wondering if you were interested in loosely tying together our ancient histories?

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

30. - Top - End - #270

Woo! Power is back!
    I'm gonna go work on Arkhosarra's Family Tree.
    I'm done with the region stuff!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show