New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Hrmmmm...so...would anyone be interested in another Grand Ball?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I did say it would be appropriate to do every time a whole bunch of people had new rulers.

Okay, originally people thought they'd switch rulers every 4 rounds, which really got changed up (it's more like 7 now), but that gives ample time for other events to take place in the meantime.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHolyAngel View Post
    Religious interfaith conference/celebration/showcase/peacefulthing in Sycia for the upcoming round!
    Oh yeah! I remember you mentioning this last week. I haven't really explored Raaneki religion much (there's not much to explore), but this could be great. Like a bazaar for all of the religions people can adopt!

As for succession, I had a thought on the train this morning that I might abdicate every 15 years, at each Raaneki Games. The fluff states that the Games began after the first Lady and Lord ruled for 15 years, so it would make sense. It would also be fitting because Aditi and Devdan--the only Raaneki cool enough to earn permanent surnames for their children and the nation's greatest-ever rulers--would be the only ones to reign longer than this.

But three turns isn't much of a chance to get stuff done... Bah.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Oh yeah! I remember you mentioning this last week. I haven't really explored Raaneki religion much (there's not much to explore), but this could be great. Like a bazaar for all of the religions people can adopt!

As for succession, I had a thought on the train this morning that I might abdicate every 15 years, at each Raaneki Games. The fluff states that the Games began after the first Lady and Lord ruled for 15 years, so it would make sense. It would also be fitting because Aditi and Devdan--the only Raaneki cool enough to earn permanent surnames for their children and the nation's greatest-ever rulers--would be the only ones to reign longer than this.

Yeah... I mean, you could only max out one stat, and that is only if you spend most of your actions on it. Alternatively, you could keep the idea and say either every two games, or make the games every twenty-five years.

Also... HisHolyAngel, did you see my response post to you?

And I published my new region! I've done everything except population, which I need to look up, and terrain, which I am not feeling very inspired right now. So those are to come.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp, means if you have a 4 in something, you'd have to designate all your actions to getting it to 10, or if you have a 6 in something, you'd have to at least spend one round designating your increases to that.

Also, if you got a 1 in something that you wanted to increase, you'd be unable to get it to 10.

So your nation would be centered around one statistic every ruler. And likely have to continue stating precedence on that stat in order to benifit from bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    And I published my new region! I've done everything except population, which I need to look up, and terrain, which I am not feeling very inspired right now. So those are to come.
    Hmmm, what about your needed import? Also, what do you mean by "similar to their western bretheren"? Make sure to state which region you mean, and even what race. I think they're human, but there's so many countries right now...and I've been keen on tracking things.

Also, will you be adding Crima to your regions post?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-03-14 at 09:50 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quick question that I won't be able to see the answer to this weekend (busy ): If I used a c5 action, would I still be able to use a c10 action?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHolyAngel View Post
    Religious interfaith conference/celebration/showcase/peacefulthing in Sycia for the upcoming round!
    Interesting. I might have some people from Kyaralath attend.

An excellent suggestion Mr. OfDoom. Shall it also be held in Delberelle, or shall someone else take up the task of hosting?

Also, I have finally completed it. Both Hazaria and Kyaralath have proper descriptions now.
    Please note that the faith of the Kyarans in their god sounds like an organised religion, but it's not really. I'd say it's less organised than Hellenic Paganism.
    Link.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Quick question that I won't be able to see the answer to this weekend (busy ): If I used a c5 action, would I still be able to use a c10 action?
    Yes, each ruler can use a Cur 5 and Cur 10 in their lifetime once each.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

9. - Top - End - #819

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The OP has been updated with links to the FAQ by Wombat and History by Rain Dragon, plus adding Winning Tactics under Waylander's GM duties. (There are 2 now, I believe, with one coming up.)

I'm thinking I should clarify "coasts" to "beaches" or such, to account for cliffs like in Aloren, which are more like mountains when you come in from the sea.

In the meantime, the plot thickens.
    Next time before you assign something to me, ask for my permission first..... I've talked with you about it yes, but I didnt not concent to anything. So yeah, so untill I've talked it over with you, I'll not be doing that.

Edit: Solved, doing the stuff.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-03-14 at 10:31 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

10. - Top - End - #820

Hmmm, what about your needed import? Also, what do you mean by "similar to their western bretheren"? Make sure to state which region you mean, and even what race. I think they're human, but there's so many countries right now...and I've been keen on tracking things.

Also, will you be adding Crima to your regions post?
    Alright... I've added Crima, and specified "western brethren" as specifically being the Solusians. For my import, I stated it as "metals", to avoid specifically saying "iron" or "bronze". Both would satisfy the requirement though, right?

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

The OP has great information regarding how to develop technologies, but it's still a little lacking on what technologies do. I know they grant a +1 to certain rolls, but is that something we need to clearly define and not change (e.g. my berundas grant +1 to Military and no other attribute) or something that could be fluid (e.g. the UN's printing press could provide +1 to Faith when creating religious texts, +1 to Diplomacy or Military when creating propaganda, etc.)?

Also, Wombat: the FAQ says [Great] Resources can be traded with up to 7 other countries, but the OP says they can only be traded with up to 6.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright... I've added Crima, and specified "western brethren" as specifically being the Solusians. For my import, I stated it as "metals", to avoid specifically saying "iron" or "bronze". Both would satisfy the requirement though, right?
    Correct, that would work. It does for me at least. Similarly, food could be grain or meat or fish or ect.

Also, those goats are [Great] in resource, right?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

13. - Top - End - #823

Correct, that would work. It does for me at least. Similarly, food could be grain or meat or fish or ect.

Also, those goats are [Great] in resource, right?
    Alright, cool. And yes, they are.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

The OP has great information regarding how to develop technologies, but it's still a little lacking on what technologies do. I know they grant a +1 to certain rolls, but is that something we need to clearly define and not change (e.g. my berundas grant +1 to Military and no other attribute) or something that could be fluid (e.g. the UN's printing press could provide +1 to Faith when creating religious texts, +1 to Diplomacy or Military when creating propaganda, etc.)?

Also, Wombat: the FAQ says [Great] Resources can be traded with up to 7 other countries, but the OP says they can only be traded with up to 6.
    Not sure on tech. I just know tech is good, and leave it at that. It seems to me that a +1 in something for that much work isn't really that handy, though. I could get a +5 for 5 military actions in the 10 actions it would take me to get a +1 to tech. Tech seems to be a fluff thing that has some crunch, for the most part.

Yeah, that was a misscommunication between Morph and I when that first went up. I've recently been told it was wrong, but hadn't realized it was in need of update in the FAQ, so thank you. I've changed that now.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

No idea. It's a printing press. I invented it to further my technological and cultural goals.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

The technology post has been updated to round 7 to reflect who has what technologies now.

Proposals for existing technologies (due to some being slightly more limited, like the military ones, bonuses have been increased):

Technological Bonuses

{table=head]Technology | Primary Effect | Mechanical Bonus

Adamantine-forging | Allows use of Adamantine resource. | +3 to Military battle checks to defend a region.

Berunda-riding | Allows special uses of Berunda resource.[br]Allows creation of aerial units. | +1 to Military battle checks and tactical maneuvering checks.

Griffin-riding | Allows special uses of Griffins resource.[br]Allows creation of aerial units. | +1 to Military battle checks and tactical maneuvering checks.

Hovercrafts | - |+1 to Military battle checks and tactical maneuvering checks.

Insect Training | Allows special uses of Huge Insects resource.[br]Allows creation of aerial units. | +1 to Military battle checks and tactical maneuvering checks.

Mithril-forging | Allows use of Mithril resource. | +2 to Military battle checks.

Ocean-faring Ships | Allows passage over the open ocean. | -

Plate Armour | - |+2 to Military battle checks.

Printing Press | - | +1 to all Diplomacy checks.[/table]

I'm thinking the printing press could actually give more bonuses all around, but also make it easier to have tech stolen due to notes being easier to read.

As Wombat said, it's a small mechanic to something largely fluff. It's a lot of work to get tech, but this just means that those who are already doing lots of Curiosity stuff are simply much more likely to introduce it. Furthermore, the old bit of wisdom that says science goes faster during wartime can be reflected by those already having Military 10 or such focusing on increasing Curiosity next. Not necessarily so, of course, as playstyles vary wildly, even a bit among military-minded players.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-03-14 at 11:58 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

17. - Top - End - #827
    Orc in the Playground

Edited my response to Waylander into my post in Cantus Sai. If anyone else is trying to talk to my characters and I haven't noticed, please tell me. >.<
    Beautiful Angewomon avatar by the darling Recaiden.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

I like the varying and increased bonuses from techs, and while normally I would interject and add that it might get complicated knowing what does what, technology introduction goes so slowly (and there seems to be a bit of a pattern in the bonuses so far anyway) that it should be fine having a variety of different types of bonuses.

I also second that the Printing press could conceivably give +1 to all stats when they're rolled but have some sort of downside. (A -2 or something to losing technologies might be good. ((Side note on my side note, perhaps counter-intelligence agencies introduced with an Intrigue action could negate that penalty)))

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Technological Bonuses
    *snip*
    Thanks, Morph! You're the best.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

As for succession, I had a thought on the train this morning that I might abdicate every 15 years, at each Raaneki Games. ... ...

On the other hand three turns is plenty to get curiosity 5. You could likely just have many trade-able resources and trade for everything you need : P Trade for techs, trade for armies, trade for faith?
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    On the other hand three turns is plenty to get curiosity 5. You could likely just have many trade-able resources and trade for everything you need : P Trade for techs, trade for armies, trade for faith?
    I'm kind of in love with the idea of a single region having more resources than any other combination of regions out there haha

Also, being a monk at the Blazing Temple is fun :D

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Morph is looking to limit regions resources to 4 possible, and only 1 Great resource, per region, so that actually might not be the case.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm thinking the printing press could actually give more bonuses all around, but also make it easier to have tech stolen due to notes being easier to read.
    Well, I didn't invent it to get bonuses, I merely wanted to be at the forefront of scholarship and scientific development. But bonuses are always good, so I'm not objecting.
    Though I wouldn't say notes would be easier to read. It's not like every time someone tries something new they send their notes off to the printing shop to be printed. Anything that there doesn't need to be more than a few copies of is unlikely to be printed due to the time requirements of setting up the presses. It's not like we've invented the typewriter you know...

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Robo-Rat is a thing now. We have a Robo-Rat.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!

In mother Sympol, Rat exterminate You!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

I should be paying more attention to the IC thread, shouldn't I?

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Tychris is making me jealous that I didn't play my usual blood-and-thunder character... but there's no way I could hold a candle to those crazy Sympol anyway. Well done, man!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Morph is looking to limit regions resources to 4 possible, and only 1 Great resource, per region, so that actually might not be the case.
    While it makes sense to limit it somewhere, it's a bit disappointing for those of us who aren't expanding or even really planning to expand.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

29. - Top - End - #839

Morph, would my lenses do anything? I can't think of much except better navigation, but that is really unspecific. The only other bonus I can think of is one to tactical maneuvering.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Morph, would my lenses do anything? I can't think of much except better navigation, but that is really unspecific. The only other bonus I can think of is one to tactical maneuvering.
    Microscopes, telescopes, spectacles, giant solar death beam towers...

Dragons!