New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #955 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    I have some dice with weather on them. When I want to say what the weather is like I just roll them and ignore any results which aren't appropriate for the season, such as snow in summer, etc. They are probably more realistic than the actual rules... And when I need specific weather for the encounter or story it happens exactly as I require, which is kind of handy.
    Those sound like a nice tool to have. How did you come by them?

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I don't have specific dice like that, but I use something similar for the 2 times a campaign that its needed. I have a chart setup that says "Here are the chances for each type of weather (including clear skies) for the current season." so for example there could be a 25% chance of clear skies, 20% chance of rain, etc... and you just roll percentile (d100 or 2d10) to see what the weather is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't have specific dice like that, but I use something similar for the 2 times a campaign that its needed. I have a chart setup that says "Here are the chances for each type of weather (including clear skies) for the current season." so for example there could be a 25% chance of clear skies, 20% chance of rain, etc... and you just roll percentile (d100 or 2d10) to see what the weather is.
    That works too, but I think weather dice would look cool.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That works too, but I think weather dice would look cool.
    True. But we have the D6 poker die for that. "Roll initiative!" "Queen of hearts!"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Possibly a silly question, but how do you get the percentages from 2d10?
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Assign one as the tens digit, the other as the ones digit.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

One is for ones, the other is for tens. So you roll 2 d10s, let's say die A comes up 7 and die B comes up 2. The die A was designated as 10s, so you have 72.

Edit: Note to self - time travel a few minutes and kill Nilehus. Darn ninja.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-06-25 at 02:51 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    One is for ones, the other is for tens. So you roll 2 d10s, let's say die A comes up 7 and die B comes up 2. The die A was designated as 10s, so you have 72.

Edit: Note to self - time travel a few minutes and kill Nihelus.
    This is correct. And double "00"s are 100.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

This is correct. And double "00"s are 100.
    Aha! I'm not a D&D player, so I thought that a d10 would be numbered 1-10 and wasn't sure what you would do with a 10 roll (let alone doubles). That makes sense, then. Thanks!
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Edit: Note to self - time travel a few minutes and kill Nihelus.
    Glad I'm not that guy.

EDIT: Oh crap.
    Last edited by Nilehus; 2014-06-25 at 02:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aha! I'm not a D&D player, so I thought that a d10 would be numbered 1-10 and wasn't sure what you would do with a 10 roll (let alone doubles). That makes sense, then. Thanks!
    Ah. D10s are odd in that they normally go 0 to 9, or 00 to 90, jumping by 10s. 0 is usually read as 10 (so if you had a d10 hid die, you couldn't end up with a natural 0 HP at level 1).

12. - Top - End - #312

Ah. D10s are odd in that they normally go 0 to 9, or 00 to 90, jumping by 10s. 0 is usually read as 10 (so if you had a d10 hid die, you couldn't end up with a natural 0 HP at level 1).
    Huh. Odd... my d10s are number 1-10, and my percentile die are both 00-90, in increments of 10. 00 on the designated tens and 10-90 on the designated ones translates as 01-09, respectively, while both reading 00 translates as 100. Is that not normal? I only have a few sets of dice, all from the same gaming shop in town.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-06-25 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Better wording

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Huh. Odd... my d10s are number 1-10, and my percentile die are both 00-90, in increments of 10. 00 on the designated tens and 10-90 on the designated ones translates as 01-09, respectively, while both reading 00 translates as 100. Is that not normal? I only have a few sets of dice, all from the same gaming shop in town.
    I don't have a large enough sample size to call anything "normal" (apparently), but if im understanding you correctly it is functionally the same thing, only instead of sometimes reading a 0 as a 10, you read a 10 as a 0. Its cosmetic, rather than actually requiring any different type of rolling like the old d20s that went 0-9 twice did.

Although it would be easier to tell if I had a picture, I grew uncertain I was following you when you started translating numbers on the dice and using your D10s as different from percentile dice, yet were rolled together. Percentiles are the 00-90, right?
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-06-25 at 04:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

I don't have a large enough sample size to call anything "normal" (apparently), but if im understanding you correctly it is functionally the same thing, only instead of sometimes reading a 0 as a 10, you read a 10 as a 0. Its cosmetic, rather than actually requiring any different type of rolling like the old d20s that went 0-9 twice did.

Although it would be easier to tell if I had a picture, I grew uncertain I was following you when you started translating numbers on the dice and using your D10s as different from percentile dice, yet were rolled together. Percentiles are the 00-90, right?
    Spoiler: Generic dice set image
    Show
    Just like that, but with 2 percentile dice instead of 1 (the 00-90 die in the image). When doing percentile, the die that takes the tens column rolls a 00, the final number will be between 1-9. If the die that takes the ones column rolls a 00, the final number will be a straight multiple of 10. If both dice roll 00, the final number is 100. On a d10, natural 10s are never read as 0, they're always read as 10.

d10s are rolled only when called for, and both percentile die are rolled when a percent is needed.

At least, that's how I was taught by my friends.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-06-25 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Generic dice set image
    Show
    Just like that, but with 2 percentile dice instead of 1 (the 00-90 die in the image). When doing percentile, the die that takes the tens column rolls a 00, the final number will be between 1-9. If the die that takes the ones column rolls a 00, the final number will be a straight multiple of 10. If both dice roll 00, the final number is 100. On a d10, natural 10s are never read as 0, they're always read as 10.

d10s are rolled only when called for, and both percentile die are rolled when a percent is needed.

At least, that's how I was taught by my friends.
    Oh, I see. Yes, that's identical to how I do it and what I was trying to explain. I just have one percentile die and one normal die, as in the image.

16. - Top - End - #316

Oh, I see. Yes, that's identical to how I do it and what I was trying to explain. I just have one percentile die and one normal die, as in the image.
    Ahhhhh. I get it now. It does make a good amount of sense to do it that way, actually, since then you don't have to keep track of which die takes the 10s column and which takes the 1s column. I don't even know how I got that confused anymore.... sorry 'bout that.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I role my percentile dice like Keltest. One die is marked 00-90, and marks the tens place. The other die is marked 0-9 and marks the units place. When both dice read 0, it is 100. I don't actually have two d% dice, so this works instead.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #318
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Real-world lightning strikes have a mortality rate of about 10 to 30%.
    That number is with modern medical care. The numbers with medieval medical care are likely to be quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Also, one bolt per minute, that doesn't mean characters without shelter in metal armor are taking one bolt per minute does it?
    Metal armour could actually protect the wearer from lightning. Real world extreme performers who perform with Tesla Coil wear as protection full body suits of simple chain mail.

So long as the armour is all in continuous pieces that connect to the feet/ground, it will act as a personal lightning rod. The electricity will take the path of least resistance to the ground, which is through the armor, and not travel hardly at all through the flesh of the person.

(If the armor is not in complete continuity though...)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    That number is with modern medical care. The numbers with medieval medical care are likely to be quite different.
    That said, anyone who survives long enough to get modern medical care wouldn't be killed in D&D terms, and in medieval times deaths caused by internal injuries could very well not be associated with the lightning bolts. After all, its not like they knew anything about them other than the fact that they were loud, bright, and destructive. Certainly not that they could cause enough damage to cause your internal organs to slowly fail over time without many (if any) visible symptoms.

20. - Top - End - #320

I role my percentile dice like Keltest. One die is marked 00-90, and marks the tens place. The other die is marked 0-9 and marks the units place. When both dice read 0, it is 100. I don't actually have two d% dice, so this works instead.
    Huh. Apparently my game store goes the extra mile; all their dice sets have 7 dice, with the second percentile die. Awesome.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Huh. Apparently my game store goes the extra mile; all their dice sets have 7 dice, with the second percentile die. Awesome.
    Out of curiosity, what would you need two percentile dice and a normal D10 at the same time for?

22. - Top - End - #322

Out of curiosity, what would you need two percentile dice and a normal D10 at the same time for?
    Throwing at my players for looking at the cave I built a massive dungeon for and saying, "doesn't look like anythings in there. Let's go check out that town several dozen miles from here that our kind and loving DM hasn't done any work on yet!"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I bought a set of dice with a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and a d%.
    Throwing at my players for looking at the cave I built a massive dungeon for and saying, "doesn't look like anythings in there. Let's go check out that town several dozen miles from here that our kind and loving DM hasn't done any work on yet!"
    Isn't that what those big hardcover sourcebooks are for?

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I bought a set of dice with a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and a d%.

Isn't that what those big hardcover sourcebooks are for?
    I keep a giant spoon on the wall for that.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by strijder20 View Post
    To roll with dice you could just roll the coordinates and then roll for a chance to hit a nearby 'high danger' object like a tree or a metal-plated warrior, with the probability depending on the distance from the coordinates you hit.
    Actually, lightning apparently only hits the highest item about half the time. It does hit other high objects most of the rest of the time though.

BTW, this is Lightning Awareness Week here in the U.S.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

There's always a set of monsters far above the PCs' level between them and any area I haven't mapped.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, lightning apparently only hits the highest item about half the time. It does hit other high objects most of the rest of the time though.

BTW, this is Lightning Awareness Week here in the U.S.
    Well, yes, that's why you have to roll for probability

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

The answer to "How can I find something?" is almost always "Google".

Weather dice for sale.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The answer to "How can I find something?" is almost always "Google".

Weather dice for sale.
    I was hoping there was something cheaper than having to pay for shipping from the UK.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #330

I was hoping there was something cheaper than having to pay for shipping from the UK.
    Dude, every country is going to have outrageous shipping to the Andromeda Galaxy. Sure, America or Russia or Korea might have slightly lower rates, since their space programs are actively sending stuff up, but I'd call it negligible. Not his fault you didn't specify a proxy country to have it shipped to. Best answer with the information on hand, ya know.