New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: So I've made the ultimate Anti-Mage???

Sorry.

The build is good, but... In my opinion, the most effective Anti-mage is a CoDzilla.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    By stopping you from walking through it, it is in fact affecting you. After that, you just have to prove that it's a condition or effect, and poof, door gone.
    Objects aren't conditions or effects.

Isn't there a list of conditions in the DMG somewhere?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    Objects aren't conditions or effects.

Isn't there a list of conditions in the DMG somewhere?
    That is indeed the challenge here. Fortunately, forcecages don't suffer from this issue, as they're a spell. On the condition list thing, it is in no way encompassing of all conditions, and it in no way defines the term.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That is indeed the challenge here. Fortunately, forcecages don't suffer from this issue, as they're a spell. On the condition list thing, it is in no way encompassing of all conditions, and it in no way defines the term.
    A spell that isn't affecting anything.

Enchantment and Transmutation spells are more likely to be affecting a character.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

A spell that isn't affecting anything.
    It's affecting the character. By making him unable to walk beyond the forcecage. So too, repel metal is affecting the character by pushing him away.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Sorry.

The build is good, but... In my opinion, the most effective Anti-mage is a CoDzilla.
    I wouldn't even call it good, BUT you are absolutely right.
    The best way to oppose WIZARDS, is through using the other tier 1[and specialized high tier 2] classes, and out prepping them.
    Lock down their ability to escape, generally have more than one entity on the table so that you can make best use of micromanagement and action economy, Have some good metamagic going on so you can make optimal use of your resources, and generally shut down their ability to shut you down.

A cleric can be used, a druid can be used, psions can be used, archivists can be used, and so on.

Druid and cleric probably enjoy the most usefulness, as they have access to their whole lists, and they have really big, really awesome lists.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    I wouldn't even call it good, BUT you are absolutely right.
    The best way to oppose WIZARDS, is through using the other tier 1[and specialized high tier 2] classes, and out prepping them.
    Lock down their ability to escape, generally have more than one entity on the table so that you can make best use of micromanagement and action economy, Have some good metamagic going on so you can make optimal use of your resources, and generally shut down their ability to shut you down.

A cleric can be used, a druid can be used, psions can be used, archivists can be used, and so on.

Druid and cleric probably enjoy the most usefulness, as they have access to their whole lists, and they have really big, really awesome lists.
    Also, druids can do the whole aberration wild shape for will-o'-wisp form thing, and get immunity to magic. I'm coming nowhere close to saying that immunity to magic is a perfect caster defense, but it's at least a really good one, especially when you have some offensive might, which a druid does. Very fancy business. Clerics tend more towards the cheater of mystra or crazy dispel magic side of things in their anti-magic techniques. Alternatively, there's always a second wizard.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Clerics tend more towards the cheater of mystra or crazy dispel magic side of things in their anti-magic techniques.
    As someone who is getting into clerics a little I'm going to ask what is a cheater of mystra and how does that work?

edit
    I know the persisted anti-magic field with extraordinary spell aim but mystra is new to me.
    Last edited by eternal; 2014-07-20 at 06:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    As someone who is getting into clerics a little I'm going to ask what is a cheater of mystra and how does that work?

edit
    I know the persisted anti-magic field with extraordinary spell aim but mystra is new to me.
    It's the informal term for the feat initiate of mystra, from player's guide to faerun, which enables a cleric to cast in dead magic zones and anti-magic fields with a caster level check. Pretty crazy stuff, which is the derivation of the name.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's the informal term for the feat initiate of mystra, from player's guide to faerun, which enables a cleric to cast in dead magic zones and anti-magic fields with a caster level check. Pretty crazy stuff, which is the derivation of the name.
    Correct me if I'm wrong then wouldn't that be better than extraordinary spell aim? I mean with extraordinary spell aim you can still be targeted but if you could cast in any dead zone with a check..... That is pretty crazy.

Edit:
    wouldn't you lose your pre buffed spells unless you used extraordinary spell aim? well... even still your able to cast with a check which is still insane.
    Last edited by eternal; 2014-07-20 at 06:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong then wouldn't that be better than extraordinary spell aim? I mean with extraordinary spell aim you can still be targeted but if you could cast in any dead zone with a check..... That is pretty crazy.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that you still get your buffs turned off with initiate of mystra, while you don't with extraordinary spell aim depending on interpretation, and you don't need a high caster level. Initiate of mystra is pretty crazy though, especially when you consider the fact that it adds awesome spells to your list, including anyspell and its greater counterpart.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, I'm pretty sure that you still get your buffs turned off with initiate of mystra, while you don't with extraordinary spell aim depending on interpretation, and you don't need a high caster level. Initiate of mystra is pretty crazy though, especially when you consider the fact that it adds awesome spells to your list, including anyspell and its greater counterpart.
    It's worth taking both then. I'm looking at that spell list now. Nice stuff. Def worth taking both feats. I'll add that to the list of must haves for my current build I'm playing. Thanks for that nugget.

edit:
    Like I said in my other post this is why I love this forum.
    Last edited by eternal; 2014-07-20 at 06:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's affecting the character. By making him unable to walk beyond the forcecage. So too, repel metal is affecting the character by pushing him away.
    I don't agree with your reasoning, with repel metal the metal (if any) is being affected, not the character.

With force cage there is just a cage present that the PC is trying to push. No affecting going on there.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Sorry.

I'm personally a fan of a cheater of mystra using divine defiance and inquisition domain to counterspell as an immediate action while sporting a wide range of countermagic and dweomerkeeper shenanigans as well.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Devil

I don't agree with your reasoning, with repel metal the metal (if any) is being affected, not the character.

With force cage there is just a cage present that the PC is trying to push. No affecting going on there.
    Can you define an effect then? If you really want to banal about it, we are all made up of atoms which are 99.9% empty space (explains many people in high school tbh), which by the RAW means we are capable of passing through anything.

But that way lies madness. If you are being affected by something, as a result of somethings effect (ie gravity), you can change that. I suppose you could even IHS the lack of something - our bodies are used to operating in a full gravity atmosphere, no gravity means our bodies are being affected by the effects of a gravityless environment, IHS to end that, congratulations you just created gravity in the astral plane.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

all you've got to do is take the definitions of effect and condition, and twist the english language until whatever you want fits under those definitions

Spoiler: online dictionary, so results may vary
    Show

effect
    : a change that results when something is done or happens : an event, condition, or state of affairs that is produced by a cause

: a particular feeling or mood created by something

: an image or a sound that is created in television, radio, or movies to imitate something real

condition
    : a way of living or existing

: the state in which something exists : the physical state of something

: the physical or mental state of a person or animal

using any of these definitions, or any of the others you can find for the two words, you have to figure out how to apply it to your current situation

for example: i am trapped, is that an effect or condition? yes, one of the meanings of condition is "a way of living or existing" and that would include trapped, would it not? therefore i can IHS the condition of being trapped, i am no longer trapped
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

There's nothing in the definition for affect that says that the change has to be produced directly. Both of these spells produce a change in the fighter, by producing a change in his circumstances.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Why not just IHS damage then?
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    Excuse me, I don't see Iron Heart Surge in your build. How do you deal with forcecages or repel metal?
    Force Cage doesn't have a target or subjects. An effect has to affect a target to affect them.

EDIT: Wow, ninjaed.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-20 at 05:23 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    down that path is things like the sun, or gravity, or existence. do you really want to go that way?

extended signature

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don't know. Why not just IHS damage? Reductio ad absurdium isn't going to work here, because my argument is somewhat rooted in the idea that the ability is absurd. There might be some argument against IHS working on damage. I'm not really in the mood to come up with it.

Edit: However, do note that your example is somewhat flawed by the fact that we're not working with a spell here. That's one of the big benefits of the forcecage argument, that I don't need to prove that forcecage is an effect or condition. If you want to show that you can't IHS damage, I'd start there, but it's a path that has a good chance of not working.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-07-20 at 05:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

*ahem* Damaged isn't a listed condition or otherwise described as such in the game.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-20 at 05:24 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

One of my players once tried to IHS me. When I ruled that he couldn't do that, he IHSed the rule that stopped him from doing that. I still haven't fully returned to existence.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

*ahem* Damaged isn't a listed condition or otherwise described as such in the game.
    Doesn't technically mean that damaged cannot be a condition. Y'know, blah blah blah, no listed definition, blooh blee blim, default to English, semantics semantics semantics, and there ya go. Counter argument.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

ah, but can it be classed as an effect? i didn't believe there was a proper game term for effect (i didn't think there was one for condition either, but you seem to be implying otherwise), so we had to default to english definitions, which is why the ability is absurd

edit:
    Doesn't technically mean that damaged cannot be a condition. Y'know, blah blah blah, no listed definition, blooh blee blim, default to English, semantics semantics semantics, and there ya go. Counter argument.
    poor eggy, look how tired and bored he is. don't worry, i'll try to pick up the argument for you
    Last edited by Somensjev; 2014-07-20 at 05:29 PM.

extended signature

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    ah, but can it be classed as an effect? i didn't believe there was a proper game term for effect (i didn't think there was one for condition either, but you seem to be implying otherwise), so we had to default to english definitions, which is why the ability is absurd
    Actually, we know to an extent what an effect entails. All spells are effects, for example. Typically, anything persisting past instantaneous is under the Conditions Summary. By RAW, these are most of the things recognized as valid targets of IHS. So I don't think we default to English at this point, as much as I prefer that method of argument.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-20 at 06:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    poor eggy, look how tired and bored he is. don't worry, i'll try to pick up the argument for you
    I dunno. I feel like I got most of it in there.
    Actually, we know to an extent what an effect entails. All spells are effects, for example. Typically, anything persisting past instantaneous is under the Conditions Summary. By RAW, these are most of the things recognized as valid targets of IHS. So I don't think we default to English at this point, as much as I prefer that method of argument.
    Typically and most are meaningless, and the term isn't defined. We pretty much have to default to English. There's no other choice.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Typically and most are meaningless, and the term isn't defined. We pretty much have to default to English. There's no other choice.
    "Does the game say this is an effect?" or "Does the game call this a condition?" Y/N. The terms aren't defined, but the abilities they ascribe to are labeled. Anything past that is "the rules don't say I can't."

I used the word typically here to refer to abilities that don't do either. I can't name any of the top of my head that aren't a spell, or don't inflict a condition, but also can be applied to a PC. Probably a supernatural ability that makes daisies or whatever.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-20 at 08:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    Divine magic is the power of the gods, a righteous magic given power by their holiness.
    I think you mean, "Power leached off of believers like blood by some spiritual parasite and then fed back to them like they're doing them a favor."

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    Arcane magic is an abomination against nature, man subjugating the power that should be the gods' for personal gain.
    Or possibly, "Scientifically identified means of tapping the latent power of the universe, showing the ultimate triumph and beauty of the mind."
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-07-20 at 08:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    I think you mean, "Power leached off of believers like blood by some spiritual parasite and then fed back to them like they're doing them a favor."
    Nah, that's how they used to do things, if the term "Urpriest" means anything.