New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,497 of 1497

Thread: Seas of Change

1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Seas of Change

"Complicated." Caida calms returns the interrogator's stare, taking a brief moment to marshal his thoughts. "I have been ordered to unseat the Western God of Battle, Saikal. However, as I mentioned, I am not an Akuma, and have a will, and mind, of my own. I have been somewhat creatively applying that mission to oppose those who have taken to pillaging in Saikal's name. Pirates from Coral, the occasional Lintha that decided to diversify, that kind of thing. So long as I don't actively oppose my mission, don't return to Hell, and avoid other Infernals that would care, I feel no repercussions from this particular brand of disobedience." Caida stretches slightly, easing some knots out of his shoulders. "It's called an Urge by the way, the mission. And they're all supposed to accomplish something bigger. Either spreading the principles that particular Yozi represents, or advancing the Reclamation. And, as I indicated just now, neither of those are goals I particularly care for."

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Forbidding Manse
    "You would not be the first who attempted to remove Siakal from power," Nazri notes. "And what of your Castes? Do they mirror those of the Solars?"

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Loosely. There are five Caste's, and their purposes do nearly match the corresponding Solar equivalents, but at least as far as I've seen, that's about it."

4. - Top - End - #1474

The Forbidding Manse
    "Which of those Castes do you belong to, and what powers do you possess?"

Parai's Palace
    As the others leave, Parai turns to Renata. "This one will face justice for her crimes as soon as you have extracted your information from her. I will not show mercy to a murderer."

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that the assassin is out of sight, Renata lets out a long sigh and rakes her fingers through her short purple hair in frustration. "Yeah, about that. She won't even give us her name. She's all 'I did it, if you're going to kill me get it over with, but I have information on Merchant Prince Aledein that nobody else does.' I don't know what to do here, I've never had to interrogate anyone before!" The Tya sheathes her sword. "Virgil and I already tried the 'good guard, bad guard' routine, with me as the latter." She coughs, slightly embarrassed. "And, um... if she says anything about me and the ancient rites of the Dragon Lords, that was an exaggeration. Figured that if she was used to Hell, it would take something drastic to get her attention."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #1476

Parai's Palace
    "Then kill her if she won't cooperate. There will be many other people who can tell you about someone as important as a Merchant Prince."

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose we might have to. It would be good to have inside information, but we certainly can't let her go. Our deathknight is certainly sneaky enough to return Aledein's favor, so to speak, even without the assassin's information." Renata shrugs. "I'll talk it over with the others. Just wanted to update you and see if you had any ideas. Do you intend to hold a trial?"

8. - Top - End - #1478

Parai's Palace
    "My advice is to kill her now, before she works out some way to escape. No trial will be needed."

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

"If it's legal by your laws, okay. I'll go talk with the others. Virgil might be a sticking point, considering that she's another Infernal... but considering that he liked Yaiven and she was rejecting Virgil's advice, I think we'll be able to convince him." Renata pauses for a moment. "I wonder if deathknights like blood the same way ghosts do? Might be a good way to give them their fix if so, provided they're willing to take blood tainted with Malfean Essence... hmm. Better go catch up. See you later, Parai!"

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Forbidden Manse of Ivy

"Umm. I am of the Fiend caste. No, I didn't come up with the name. It's roughly analogous to Eclipses. Demons and Raksha can't attack them without provocation, and we can bind Oaths, similarly to Eclipses. We can also temporarily release people from such oaths, though not if they are bound by someone more powerful then us. Our Charms are associated with the Ebon Dragon, though I know all but none of them myself."

11. - Top - End - #1481

The Forbidding Manse
    Nazri carefully pauses once more, giving Caida a curious look. "If you swore an oath, would you be able to release yourself from it?"

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Forbidding Manse

"No. I misspoke slightly before hand. An oath bound by a being of equal power to myself, such as myself, is outside my reach as well. Outside of that, little matters. Invoked under the Laws of Heaven? The Guiding Principles of Creation? Some other set of laws no-one's told me about? As long as the binder was less powerful then myself, I can negate it for as long as I'm willing to spare the effort. And release said protection whenever I want as well."
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2015-03-11 at 10:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Renata waves to Parai and leaves the manse, hurrying after Virgil and company. Fortunately, he isn't hard to find, considering that Parai gave the Circle directions to the jail. When she catches sight of the Infernal, though, he is alone and sans prisoner. "Hey, Virgil!" She slows down to walk beside him. "So I talked to Parai, and she's in favor of execution immediately if not sooner. No trial necessary, apparently." Renata shrugs. "The city-mother is not happy, and she's afraid the assassin will escape if we leave her locked up for very long. Topaz and the deathknight can't watch her forever, we've all got things to do. I think the deathknight is sneaky enough to find a way to kill Aledein even without inside information." She stops and grimaces. "Gods, it is so annoying to not remember anything about them! We need to convince them that it's okay to be remembered again, that we can and will fight beside them if the other deathknights come calling."
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-03-12 at 11:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1484

The Forbidding Manse
    "Then we are presented with an opportunity. If you are willing to side with Heaven over Malfeas, swearing an oath to that effect would help to convince my more skeptical colleagues of your true loyalties."

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Forbidding Manse

"I'm not necessarily opposed to that, It depends on conditions and the like of course. I'm willing to oppose Hell, not sign my freedom away to escape suspicion. Perhaps I can know your name? It will be easier to carry on this conversation in that case."
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2015-03-12 at 10:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

[Paraida Streets]
    Virgil waves to Renata, unreadably calm. He's still 'disguised', but for anyone who has actually worked with him for even a few days it is clear enough anyway - and it's not like he changed what he looks like since the last time she saw him.
    "... Well, Parai will just have to be disappointed for a few minutes more. I suppose I'll grant that she can bypass her own courts, but she's either going to convince me, or deny me in person. I'm fairly certain you're the only one of us remaining she wouldn't kill, so she'll need to explain or dictate openly." He puts his hands into his pockets and sighs. "Four things. In no particular order..."
    One finger, "I don't like killing, as a rule. I'll break it - I have broken it - when it's needed... But I'm not sure that's true here."
    Two, "I want to do the clever thing..."
    Three, "I want to do the right thing."
    Four, "And... I want vengeance.
    "I want every single person complicit in Yaiven's death to know that it was a foolish, crippling idea to have even tried to have him killed, and so much worse to have succeeded. ... I might settle for the one who ordered it. I have limits, after all."
    That last sentence comes with a glance towards Renata more directly.

"I'll probably have to say that again for Parai. Your thoughts?"
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm just afraid she'll escape before any kind of elaborate vengeance is finished." She blushes slightly. "Oh, and while we're on that topic, I was... exaggerating about the whole rites of the Dragon Kings bit. I figured that if she was used to Hell, it would take something drastic to get her attention. Not that it worked," she mutters. Shoving her hands into her pockets, Renata restrains herself from kicking a nearby pebble out of pique. "What did you have in mind for revenge?"

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, we'd deal with her first - binding, execution, redemption, whatever we decide on. I'd rather bind some helpers to track her if she does escape than do something I'd only regret."

He waves his hand dismissively about the Dragon King rites, and says, "It's... fine. But remember that most of the world would think it of you all too easily, no? Pride is one thing, arrogance another. You... can seem caught up in your own power."

"For revenge... punishment should follow the crime. Be of the same kind as the deeds, but ruinous. Those who were compelled, free them or imprison them. Those who did not know, reveal it to them. Those who did it for money, destroy their fortunes. Those who meant murder, who gave the orders, did the deed... Binding, execution, or redemption, nothing less will do. ... Obviously every person is a bit unique, but it seems a pretty good policy to start with?"
    Show
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

Caught up in her own power? Renata frowns. Do I really come across that way, even when I'm not interrogating Infernal assassins? She's tried to keep some sense of perspective, but she's been a ship's captain for several years now. The captain is her crew's mistress after the gods; being authoritarian to a certain degree is expected and necessary. Land customs are so much more complicated! I wish Yaiven was here, he would tell me all the places where I misstep. She lets out a quiet sigh. Topaz will probably know. She hasn't been around me much, but I can ask her in the future after we get to know each other better.

"I'm all for punishing the other parties responsible in kind. You're right, turning Aledein into a penniless beggar has a certain appeal. But the assassin took Yaiven's life, I don't see what else we can do to her to balance that." Shortly after Renata finishes her sentence, they round a corner and the palace comes into sight. "Let's go talk to Parai, shall we?"
    Last edited by Phasm; 2015-03-13 at 12:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

Standing Guard: the Vizier and the Deathknight
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the note handed over to the guards, and their prisoner secured in the most forbidding cell Paraida has to offer, Coranach finds a chair and settles down to the watch. She has avoided conversation with Topaz on the walk over, and the Sidereal (the Sidereal! Still a little hard to come to grips with that, the villains of the ancient past appearing to meddle in the present day) has seemed content to allow that silence.

It wouldn’t do to relax now, just because Yaiven’s murderer is in chains and behind bars. But nor should precious time be wasted. And she does not know enough, not even enough to identify the most dangerous gaps in her knowledge.

“Topaz Morning,” Coranach says after a few minutes, “might we speak privately? I have means to communicate without being overheard, if you assent.”

The Sidereal shows no sign of having heard at first, neither answering nor turning to look at the deathknight. After a few seconds she says, “We may.” And a moment or two after that, “I apologize; I am not sure that I recall your name.”

“I go by ‘Coranach’, usually. No apology is necessary -”

A moment later Topaz feels the brush of a chill and alien Essence against her mind, an ice-and-darkness whisper of words just beyond the edge of hearing, that nonetheless feels unmistakably associated with the pale woman sitting a few feet away.

- it is an effect of certain Charms I use, the Abyssal continues silently. Please reply to confirm you can hear me.

I can, the Sidereal’s voice asserts clearly; long experience with Jupiter’s sight has left her accustomed to foreign qualia. That would explain a number of things; I am usually more attentive. To what degree, precisely, are you interfering with my mind?

This Charm only allows remote communication, Coranach replies calmly. I cannot perceive your thoughts, nor influence them, except as I might with ordinary speech. The Charms that cloak me from memory… do that. You may freely remember events involving me. You will not remember any identifying features of the one who participated in them. It is not a selective effect; I am either redacted from all memories, or none. For the moment, I choose all, as a security measure to protect myself and those around me from possible reprisals by my former colleagues. This may change in the future, but only with the unanimous consent of Yaiven’s Circle and the city-mother.

I see. There is a pause. This is somewhat disquieting, but I have little grounds upon which to object. What was it you wished to speak of?

Coranach shifts slightly in her seat, making herself comfortable. Everything I know about your kind, I learned from a Deathlord, she points out. He was far from complimentary, but I no longer trust his judgement and the information I was taught. If we are to work together, as it seems is possible, I feel that I should hear your own accounting of yourself, your nature and your goals. If you are willing to share that information, that is.

I see, Topaz echoes. She still has not moved from her position, standing straight against the wall by the door. That is a broad topic of inquiry. Where would you like me to start?

Cor smiles briefly, thinly. Wherever you wish. You know better than I do what there is to tell. But I think I have some grasp of your capabilities - I do not see any reason for my former liege to deliberately mislead his servants in that regard, except possibly by exaggerating your capacity for subversion - so I am not asking for information or elaboration on that front. You could tell me your version of the fall of the First Age - the short version, please - or your immediate goals here on Paraida, as two possible starting points.

To explain the fall of the First Age, one must first explain its rise. I will strive to be brief. The world was made by the Primordials, creatures born of and yet antithetical to the chaos of the Wyld - each had a singular, absolute vision of the way things should be, which they sought to impose upon reality. Creation is what arose from their efforts; sometimes cooperating, other times competing.

They made the gods to be their servants and slaves, and the mortal races as playthings and devotees. The gods tired of this, and sought to rebel, but they were shackled too thoroughly - they had power, but could not wield it against their masters. So they sought out the aid of lesser beings, which the Titans had not bothered to chain, never thinking they could pose any threat, and bestowed upon the least of mortal races - humanity - the power to destroy the Titans. Those who bore this power became the Exalted Host.

The story of that war is not relevant here; you need only know that they won. In the aftermath, the gods retired to Yu-Shan, choosing to grant stewardship over Creation to humanity. The Chosen of the Sun assumed rulership over Creation, with the Chosen of the Moon standing beside them, and the host of the Dragon-Blooded working beneath. We the Maiden’s Chosen were kept closer by our patrons, working alongside gods in Yu-Shan and our fellow Exalts in Creation.

There is a lengthy pause, as she considers how to sum up what comes next. The history of this age is long, and too complex for me to do justice to in an afternoon. Suffice to say that some remember it as a golden age; I have read the histories in Yu-Shan, and to me there seems to be some truth to it. But it is also true that the structure of Creation had changed little since the war; it had merely exchanged the rulership of a few dozen Titans for that of a few hundred Chosen. The new rulers were more human, but - humans being the flawed creatures that they are - this was only a marginal improvement. At its best, it was a benevolent tyranny. At its worst… the Chosen of the Sun, in particular, came to resemble the mad demiurges of the Primordials more and more as time went on.

The Sidereal Host was the first of the Powers of the First Age to notice, and decide that something must be done. They peered ahead at what might be and saw three courses of action. They could take no action, in which case the world would descend into madness and war, ending in the destruction of Heaven and Creation alike; they could incite a revolt against the Solar Host, which would leave the world bloodied and devastated yet alive; or they could bring their concerns before the Solar Deliberative and try to reason with them, in which case the odds were too close to say whether this would bring salvation or ruin.

The majority of the Sidereal Host chose the second option. It was not a unanimous decision; blood was spilled, and a thousand-year feud began which has yet to be healed. The Sidereals of today attempt to carry out their duties of old - preserving Fate and maintaining the integrity of Creation - as well as the duties of the rest of the Exalted Host, protecting Creation against its enemies and seeing that it is properly ruled. You may judge the results for yourself.

Coranach considers this for a few moments. Interesting, she says eventually. The account I was given was… similar, but identified the poisoned advice of the Sidereal Exalted as a key contributor to the Solars’ madness, encouraging their ambition for the Sidereals’ own ends - until the world collapsed into war, which the Sidereals won. She pauses, and then adds, Thank you for the explanation.

Interesting, Topaz echoes. I cannot refute that account with confidence, given that most of my sources would have an interest in concealing such a thing were it true, but it seems unlikely. There is enough acrimony between the luminaries of Heaven that conspiracy seems a less plausible explanation than weakness, selfishness and myopia. But it is intriguing that a Deathlord gave you that account. We know all too little of them; their nature is troubling, and their methodology vile, but their goals and beliefs remain largely a mystery. I would be grateful if you chose to shed light on that topic.

You are welcome, in any case.

Well, your version involves a conspiracy to incite a world-wide revolt as well, Coranach points out, so I’m not sure there is a significant complexity penalty there. But it’s also true that a Deathlord might have an interest in teaching his servants to regard any advice from a Sidereal as presumed sabotage. In any case, I think there is little purpose to arguing plausibility; as you say, it’s what it tells us about the sources that is interesting.

The Abyssal shrugs. Their goals and beliefs… I never knew my liege’s inner thoughts. All his deathknights were trained in the Understandings, the truths of the Neverborn; I could tell you those, although I don’t know how much it would mean when you’ve never walked down to their tombs.

To my knowledge, no deathknight has shared even that much with any Sidereal, unless these truths include a firsthand experience of death - in which case I would appreciate if you refrained from attempting the explanation. Otherwise, continue?

Coranach smiles again, a little sadly. No, it is not that immediate, although sometimes the training involves others’ deaths, to help internalize the ideas…

There are five Understandings. She pauses, then, wondering how much she should say. Some of them still resonate with her, Ash for the burnt offerings, for the memory of the dead. Others… she no longer believes, or doesn’t want to believe, but she remembers how real they felt, as she passed down into Oblivion’s maw.

In the end she simply recites them, the words forever imprinted in her memory, and the whispers at the back of her mind chant along in singsong unison.

Mortals propel the downfall of Creation. The dead do not forget she who sacrifices for them. It is better to die than to live, better to be free of flesh than saddled with its imperfections. There is no escape from the all-consuming mouth of the Void. And it is written in the stars of the dead, that the living shall never triumph over the Neverborn.

Topaz does not, at first, have any answer for this. Finally: An unfortunate set of truths. This was taught to you as - a matter of dogma? Were you instructed to pray and sacrifice to the Neverborn?

Coranach frowns slightly, keeping her gaze fixed on their prisoner. Not in the sense I think you imagine. We were instructed… that seems too weak a word… to serve them, to work their will in the world. I suppose you could say that service is a prayer, the deaths that come from it a sacrifice, but I think they care more about the end than the means. The Understandings are part of the initial training, to prepare our minds, so we can survive the direct encounter with their presence. We are chosen by the Deathlords, and we’re taught we owe them loyal service, but when you meet the Neverborn… She shakes her head, against the furious whispers at the back of her mind. I don’t know how to describe it, and so I think perhaps I’d better not try, at least for now.

There is another pause, not quite as long as the last. Very well.

You asked earlier after my immediate goals, which as it happens are far simpler than the history preceding them. I have been tasked with opposing the Lintha family, and Paraida is one of the few places in the upper half of the West willing to trade with them. Ending that trade would be a blow to them.

A flicker of amusement passes through the link, mirrored on Coranach’s pale face. Ah, an easier topic. That seems unobjectionable. I have fought the Lintha before, and what I saw of them did not incline me in their favor. Do you know what Paraida is gaining from the trade with them?

I do not. The matter of these Infernal Exalted has been occupying my attention; I have not yet had the opportunity to discuss the topic in any detail.

Coranach nods. I see. Presumably part of the deal is that Paraida is spared their raids, but if that’s all there is to it, then Exalted protectors might render that incentive moot in any case. It should certainly make it an easier sell. She glances sideways at the Sidereal. Assuming the Realm or your Bureau do not decide to attempt to remove that protection?

I can’t promise any such thing. I don’t mean this as a refusal; it simply isn’t in my power. I could advocate against such a course of action, but I have little authority with the Bureau and none at all within the Realm, and in any case there is no guarantee that I would be informed beforehand. I certainly do not intend to advocate for it.

And what of you? What are your immediate goals here?

That’s fair, Coranach concedes. As for my goals… She sighs faintly, audibly. Honestly, until yesterday I wasn’t planning to remain here; I’ve been traveling from island to island, helping where I can but never staying more than a couple of days in one place, in case my former colleagues did manage to pierce my concealment Charms and decided to come after me. When I left, it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, I did not really have a plan aside from not continuing on my previous path.

Now… well, Yaiven’s ideas seemed good. I would like to see a West more peaceful, more free, more just. Or at least a small part of it. The only justice in the world is that which the powerful create, but perhaps we can do better than mere fiat... She grimaces. But I was given power to be the Neverborn’s weapon, to bring the world’s ending; building, creation, these are not things I am good at. I can remove obstacles from the path of that future, though. She shrugs slightly. Or so I hope.

Former colleagues. You parted on poor terms, then?

... ah. Apologies. I thought I’d explained that part. It will probably make more sense after I do, then...

The term is deathknight, for an Exalt who serves a Deathlord. Knight being the operative word; it’s a… feudal system, one with a code of loyalty. I abandoned the mission I had been tasked with, in defiance of my liege, and fled; accordingly, I am no longer a deathknight. But it is not… the oaths are sworn for life, in exchange for life. You can’t just leave. And when someone does, well…
    Coranach shrugs, but the subject clearly makes her uncomfortable. I am fairly sure most of my former colleagues would see it as treason. My former liege… I doubt he’s happy either, although it’s hard to guess what his exact reaction was. She smiles briefly, a mere twitch of her lips. Talking to you about these matters, they would certainly see as treason.

Ah. Then I appreciate your willingness to converse. May I assume that you disagreed over the matter of… working the Neverborn’s will, you said? Bringing about the world’s end?

Mm. Coranach’s mental voice is silent for a moment. I can say yes and it’s true, I very much do not wish to work to that end - but realizing that was not really the immediate trigger for my departure.

The Neverborn are insane, Topaz Morning. Their dreams of oblivion are distant dreams. When I said I didn’t know the Deathlords’ goals I spoke the truth: the missions we were sent on were hardly Go now, and destroy the world! It is… easy, to focus on what you are doing right now, to say this is good and worthy, and for the long term… well, you’ll deal with that when you come to it.
    She shrugs. As a simple example… on whose orders do you think I fought the Lintha?

When I left, I left because I realized that what I was doing right then was not… something I would have wanted, before I went to Stygia for the first time. And perhaps that brought my disagreement on the larger point into sharper focus.
    The Abyssal’s mental voice falls silent, with a certain finality: if Topaz wants more information on this count, she is going to need to push.

Weakness and myopia, Topaz agrees, neutral. I have seen such things before. I fear the first of your Understandings may be all too true.

She does not push. The details don’t matter, not really. She isn’t being asked to pass judgment, here, the Paraidan circle has already done that.

Such traits are hardly restricted to mortals, Cor replies dryly. Weakness and myopia, perhaps, although she doesn’t think such descriptions necessarily apply to temporary cooperation with a power with inimical long-term goals. Looking back, the flaw still seems more in her judgement of what was good and worthy, not in the fact of her initial assent. At least judged by consequences.

I note you have not commented on my goals. Are they too vague for you?

Topaz inclines her head (the first time she’s moved since the conversation began), conceding the first point. I have no objection to your stated goals, vague though they may be. Yaiven and Captain Swiftblade evidently chose to trust you, and I have no reason to gainsay them.

It will be intriguing, I think, to see what comes of this circle. First two of these Infernal Exalts, and now you - or was it the other way around? - if I did not know better, I would suspect the hand of Fate at work. As matters stand… a curious coincidence.

Indeed. Not exact in time - I heard of their battle with the Immaculates when I arrived on the island, and so attended their ceremony yesterday, which is what led to my direct involvement - but that I was in the area at all within these few weeks... Coranach shrugs, dismissing the question. Will you report what I’ve told you to Heaven? Should I expect a visit like the one Caida got - or one less friendly? Her mental tone is neutral; she might as well be asking about the weather.

The general content, certainly. We know too little of deathknights and Deathlords. As to the other… I am uncertain. I strongly prefer not to conceal information from my immediate superior, who I generally trust to act sensibly. But I do not extend that trust to the Bureau of Destiny as a whole, and others may see any report I send. I have no desire to bring another group of Sidereals down upon you, but I don’t think I’m inclined to deceive on your behalf either.

I would not ask you to, Cor says neutrally, but offers no further comment.

Topaz mulls the dilemma over for a few seconds in silence. I can report that I am keeping you under surveillance; given that I will likely be spending some time on this island, that should be feasible. Provided you are willing to be surveilled, of course. Your obfuscating Charms may pose… difficulties, in that regard.

Hmm. And yet I think I have explained satisfactorily why I am reluctant to lower them? At the least, unless the rest of the circle and Parai are content to accept the risks. Cor pauses, and then adds, To be fair, I should also inform you that I can render myself invisible and beyond the reach of Fate.

You have. I merely note that the Bureau will find the argument that you are being watched more persuasive if you can, in fact, be watched. For the other - I am not concerned with invisibility, and am frankly surprised that you are not beyond the reach of Fate already. But it is true that my ability to keep tabs on you, should you not be acting in good faith, is likely not sufficient to the task. I will think on that.

I am not sure what you want of me, but I am willing to let you watch me when there is no pressing need for me to be concealed, Cor says, a little sharply. I can undertake to remind you who I am, as well. And perhaps the circle will agree I should lower the Charms, and then the difficulty will not arise.

If I knew what would suffice, I would ask it, Topaz replies patiently. As I said, I will think on it. Presuming I remember to do so, of course.

On which note - since you say you are within Fate’s purview, I should warn you that all Sidereals are occluded in a manner not dissimilar to your own magic. Memories fade unnaturally fast, although a strong will can resist; evidence and documentation misplaces itself over time. Should you fail to remember me, I will undertake to remind you as well.

Thank you for letting me know, Cor answers after a momentary pause. The Sidereal seems to have a sense of fair play, at least - or perhaps she’s just revealing this at a point when Coranach can’t really complain about it not being raised earlier. I appreciate the offer, although I hope it won’t be necessary.

This happens… without a Charm, for you?

Correct. It is not precisely an inherent quality of Sidereal Exaltation, but something very close. In any case, it cannot be lowered; there are ways to work around it, but that would entail a number of complications, side effects and potential hazards.

I see. After a moment of silence, Cor adds, Thank you for the discussion, it has been enlightening. I will leave the link in place in case we need to speak further, but I have nothing more to raise, for the present.

Very well.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure Aledein falls into the 'execution' part... But let's wait on that for Parai." He walks up to the gates with Renata, full of a mixture of unease and spite.
    Did Parai intentionally set it up so that he could submit to her whim, or oppose her? After all, it's what he's doing in response - no reason to think she's any less careful than he is about this dance of pride...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1492

The Forbidding Manse
    By now the other Sidereals, seeing that the 'interrogation' is proceeding peacefully and uneventfully, have left the room. "My name is Nazri. I believe this oath will have more impact if performed in front of those who doubt you than if I am the only witness, so I will not ask you to swear it now, but when the time comes I will ask you to renouce any affiliation to Malfeas and declare your intent to protect Creation. I hope this is acceptable." A slight shift in Nazri's tone indicates that there may be harsh consequences if it is not.

Parai's Palace
    It takes a few minutes to find Parai, who is addressing some of her priests on the third floor of the palace. When Renata and Virgil arrive she quickly dismisses the priests, then turns to Renata. "Was there something else you needed?"

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

Parai's Palace
    How to do this politely enough that rudeness in return is not acceptable... "I want vengeance... But I also want to avoid killing, and my vengeance extends beyond one assassin - Aledein and all between are my targets to one degree or another, sooner or later.
    "I need to hear your opinion in person or from a messenger, however brief - absolutely you have the authority to bypass your own courts, but I am an ally, not a servant."
    He bows, though he can't put much more than perfunctory respect into it. "I'm not interested in wasting time. I just don't want to kill, even... in response to killing." His fists most certainly do not tighten, but the space around him twists for a moment. Anger, grief - deliberately shown. "...Well, partly I do, but... ["So said the young king to his court, 'I am of many parts, each unlike the next.'"]"

"I can read truth, bind watchers and trackers - or not, if you prefer - peel away the foolishness that drove her to think she must kill... Are there words from her, chains from me, or a changing of circumstance you would wish to navigate this?" Left unspoken: And if you want to condemn me, or say what you see in me as unlike her, here is a socially-acceptable opening and a Solar to hear your voice.

Contingencies for the next few days assemble in Virgil's mind. How to use Parai's reaction to sway the others to leave; how to ensure that even in sharing opinion the Circle - especially Renata and himself - does not become subordinate to Parai; how to set watchers, incentives, and subtle arguments to bind the assassin to a more ethical code...
    And also, checking that the nearby window is unlocked. It's not, but the latch is simple enough if Parai wants to grab him again.

Spoiler: My Social-Fu Is Talk!
    Show
    Appearance+Presence+2-die stunt: "Virgil is worth keeping around." (Creating/strengthening/eroding an Intimacy, based on Temperance. Probably appeals to Compassion.)
    Spoiler: Don't peek!
    Show
    (6d10)[3][6][7][5][8][2](31) = 2 succcesses

Manipulation+Presence+2-die stunt: "Tell us your opinion on Infernals." (Attempting to compel Temperance: speaking clearly in matters of import. Depending on what she feels, might appeal to any of the virtues, pre-existing intimacies... Same for opposition.)
    Spoiler: It's a roll!
    Show
    [/rollv]8d10[/rollv] = 1 success. ... Hopefully she already wanted to do that!

4m gained from stunt

anima flare descends one level - possibly two?

Personal Motes 6/18, 10m committed
    Peripheral Motes 6/42, 12m committed
    Willpower Points 4/9
    Anima Flare 4m (Infernal: Defiler)

Mind-Hand Manipulation (10m peri, Indefinite)
    Essence-Dissecting Stare (5m pers, <1 hour)
    Loom-Snarling Deception (5m pers/2m peri, Indefinite)

-0 [X]( )
    -1 [X][X]( )
    -2 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]( )
    -4 [ ][ ][ ]( )
    (4/8 days of activity towards next health level healed)
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2015-03-14 at 02:51 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1494

Parai's Palace
    "She is a murderer, and she will die for her crimes." Parai appears entirely uninterested in Virgil's opinion on the matter.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

Parai's Palace
    "I see."
    Well, that wasn't wholly unexpected. Time to make sure that doing as Parai wills doesn't convince the Circle that they should do so in future.

"Then as I said Renata... for those who meant murder, gave the orders... did the deed. We are all three agreed: Execution. Let's go make sure our star-chosen and ghost-chosen don't have any objections either." Steps one and two...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Forbidding Manse

"I wouldn't have any problem with that. I wonder though, what precisely you, yourself mean when you say 'Protect Creation'. As I said, I have no problems with this, but at the same time, I'd like to know what you would ideally hope I meant." Caida pauses, slipping into a slightly more relaxed, and decidedly less proper, position in his chair. "Back on the other subject though. Infernals. Lets see. The other Castes are Slayers, Malefactors, Defilers, and Scourges. Counting Fiends in, they are all tied to five of the Yozi: Malfeas, Cecelyne, She Who Lives in Her Name, Adorjan, and of course, The Ebon Dragon. Last I heard, and this was a few months ago, Kimbery was getting interested, and Isidoros was starting to make some noise on the topic as well."

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's your island. Frankly, I'll rest easier knowing she's dead." Odd that the Infernal among them would be so squeamish about killing, but then he's a landlubber. The sea is freedom, is life itself to the islands, but it is also a harsh and uncompromising place. If a pirate raises a sword to Renata's crew, she will do her best to kill him. If an assassin succeeds in killing one of Renata's crew, she is a walking dead woman. "Let's go get it over with."