New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Durkoala's Desultorily Droll Drivel and Discourse (Random Banter Thread #212)

They're on a closed moodle page, so although your help would be sweet, it's impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Durkoala's Desultorily Droll Drivel and Discourse (Random Banter Thread #212)

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Been an age and a half since I last had some, but it was really quite nice and I'm not even a minty person. Are you bringing other UK-only treats or just that?
    You mean taking... unless this is how you are announcing you are coming to Trogland too.
    that WOULD be awesome though.

back to the topic.

I'm thinking Tablet (sco), Kendal mint cake(eng), Cornish cream fudge(eng), Humbugs(wel)... can you think of any other quintessentially british sweeties? apart from Alex Kingston.
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2015-05-19 at 03:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Everton mints, blackcurrant and licquorice, pretty much anything made by Cadbury's? Perhaps sports mixture too, but not certain about that one.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    They're on a closed moodle page, so although your help would be sweet, it's impossible.
    Well, depending on whether it's streamed or not, it might actually be really easy (that's the "not" case). IF you feel like it, you can send my a copy of the HTML of the page, and I can see what's possible to dig out, but nothing guaranteed.

However, if they're just throwing up a "Sorry, you're not IE" screen when you try to load the page with the video, you could try this trick, but if their technology is obsolete, rather than them just not bothering to keep all browsers supported, then it won't be of much help...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *snirks*
    They probably don't want the hassle of doing a major overhaul like that and disrupting things for workers.
    Yeah, that's the reason we're given. Quite frankly, we wouldn't mind the disruption, if if would mean a more streamlined admin process. Our current system is very clunky. It's clearly a matter of "it's been fine for the past 15 years, why does it need to change now". It still dates back to Web 1.0, for goodness' sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    If a browser does things outside of the standards (either going above and beyond or taking shortcuts or just not quite doing things right), webpages may appear different on it than on others. Since these oddities are consistent on any given browser, some webpages are coded in odd ways that make things easier but only work by exploiting said oddities.
    Yeah. A lot of our system's buttons and selection fields simply don't work outside of IE. I basically now have IE with bookmarks for all my work admin stuff, and Chrome for everything else. Annoying, but hey.

...someone nearby just said "chocolate croissant". That's all I heard. Now I want one.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, depending on whether it's streamed or not, it might actually be really easy (that's the "not" case). IF you feel like it, you can send my a copy of the HTML of the page, and I can see what's possible to dig out, but nothing guaranteed.

However, if they're just throwing up a "Sorry, you're not IE" screen when you try to load the page with the video, you could try this trick, but if their technology is obsolete, rather than them just not bothering to keep all browsers supported, then it won't be of much help...
    The thing is, when I open the page it shows embedded youtube videos, but the specific video that only works on IE only shows as a blank space for me. Nothing else. Just plain ol' white.

Also, I don't use Safari. Boo. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point, though...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #187
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    ...someone nearby just said "chocolate croissant". That's all I heard. Now I want one.
    How about some chocolate spring rolls instead?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    How about some chocolate spring rolls instead?
    Oh yeah those are also delicious. Not sure where I can get them around here... I'll have to search my local Asian restaurants.

My local bakery on the other hand makes fresh croissants every morning Good enough to play havoc with my budget - and my health. Those things are buttery as heck.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, when I open the page it shows embedded youtube videos, but the specific video that only works on IE only shows as a blank space for me. Nothing else. Just plain ol' white.

Also, I don't use Safari. Boo. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point, though...
    An embedded YouTube video which only works on IE? Sounds curious indeed.

And try to google "mask [your browser] as ie". There seem to be a plugin for just that in both Firefox and Chrome...

Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

I accidentally caught my finger in a door; it hurt so much that I decided to take a dose each of both of the painkillers that were prescribed for my wisdom-tooth surgery, since we had some left over. Still hurts.

Yes, I am a wimp.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Is rhubarb British? My grandma always used to make rhubarb pie, and she isn't from Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

There's a thick mist bank covering basically the whole peninsula tonight. And with the streetlights, the whole sky glows with this diffuse orange light. Looks rather apocalyptic. Driving through it was pretty surreal.

Also with the Creedence I was playing at the time, it felt just like a scene from a disaster movie for a while there. Heh.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    An embedded YouTube video which only works on IE? Sounds curious indeed.

And try to google "mask [your browser] as ie". There seem to be a plugin for just that in both Firefox and Chrome...
    No, the video that doesn't work isn't a YouTube video. All the YT videos work, but not this one.

I went to Safari to try it out, and wha-bam, the video worked. Sent my lecturer an email that us Mac-users don't have to live in panic, so he should take a note of this for the future...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

14. - Top - End - #194

No, the video that doesn't work isn't a YouTube video. All the YT videos work, but not this one.

I went to Safari to try it out, and wha-bam, the video worked. Sent my lecturer an email that us Mac-users don't have to live in panic, so he should take a note of this for the future...
    Awesome, you saved the day!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, I see...

Well that's great. Problem solved.

Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Triple Sec is technically just multiple-distilled Hooch.

Single-distilled would be "Orange Brandy."
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-05-20 at 11:21 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #197

I have played Bloodborne. I have tasted the fury of the beast. It is good.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zodi's post reminds me that I beat Shovel Knight! I used to call it Shovelware Knight and insist that Cave Story is the best indie game ever created, but now, I'm not so sure. The game has platforming puzzles that challenge you to have skill and strategy, along with a bunch of fun weapons. What really stood out to me though was the way that the game combines storytelling with gameplay, in possibly one of the most unique (yet possibly spoilery) ways of creating character development I've ever seen in a game. I loved Shovel Knight.

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Zodi's post reminds me that I beat Shovel Knight! I used to call it Shovelware Knight and insist that Cave Story is the best indie game ever created, but now, I'm not so sure. The game has platforming puzzles that challenge you to have skill and strategy, along with a bunch of fun weapons. What really stood out to me though was the way that the game combines storytelling with gameplay, in possibly one of the most unique (yet possibly spoilery) ways of creating character development I've ever seen in a game. I loved Shovel Knight.
    Cave Story really is quite good, but Shovel Knight is FANTASTIC. I wish I had been able to back it at the time. Lotta really good games coming out now-a-days.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    My local library has a new catalog and IE 8. So there's a message that pops up on all the computers saying "This is a six year old version please upgrade".
    Incredible. Still marginally better than the IE on my work computer that flashes schizophrenically whenever you move the mouse. It is a non-optimal working environment.

Re: Shovel knight talk. I really enjoyed Cave Story, but I was also terrible at it. Shovel knight looks very difficult for someone like me who is just very bad at games. I'll get through it eventually (see also: my attempts at dark souls) but it has to be really enjoyable in the process. Or exceptionally gratifying on completion.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

22. - Top - End - #202

All these people with their cool games, grumblegrumble. I will get Shovel Knight (someday), but I don't have a PS4 so Bloodborne is a long way away for now.

Anyway, I had a weird/cool dream yesterday and I don't often remember dreams so I thought I'd share. Basically, I was at the beach, and there were various charcters from Dragonball Z and a few other anime. Somehow I ended up on the wrong side of the crime organisation that controlled the area and was chained to a handler until I paid them back, and for some reason winning a match of beach football counted, but given that we had to play with Saiyans, it sort of made sense. So I played football really well; I can't remember if I won, but I got rid of the chain after Vegeta tripped over it, so it didn't really matter.

ION: swapped cards for the weekly Moncard match and won easily. I'm now laughing because I just realised that my opponent used the option to look for any card in the deck and chose a single energy card instead of one of the eight (or less, but at least two if he was really unlucky) cards that would let him draw more cards or shuffle the deck. Always check your options...

EDIT: That is a great spider.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2015-05-21 at 03:57 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    All these people with their cool games, grumblegrumble. I will get Shovel Knight (someday), but I don't have a PS4 so Bloodborne is a long way away for now.

ION: swapped cards for the weekly Moncard match and won easily. I'm now laughing because I just realised that my opponent used the option to look for any card in the deck and chose a single energy card instead of one of the eight (or less, but at least two if he was really unlucky) cards that would let him draw more cards or shuffle the deck. Always check your options...

EDIT: That is a great spider.
    Sorry Durkoala. If it makes you feel better there's a chance I'll show off this game in a video at some point. I'd do a playthrough of Bloodborne, hell yeah. It'll have to wait a bit because uh...Zelda.

Also psst when you have time finish that cool fanaaaaart.

Yes, always check your options. Tutor effects are strong for a reason you know!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Saw the St. Petersburg ballet perform Swan Lake last night. Not surprisingly, it was pretty good.

Although actually my favourite part, as always, was the music. Heh.

I have now had enough culture to last me the rest of the year

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    Just finished the last episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The feels
    It is my favorite Star Wars series for a reason. I was just a tad bit too young to really appreciate Next Gen when it was on television, but I came into adolescence with DS9. So I totally get you.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    It is my favorite Star Wars series for a reason. I was just a tad bit too young to really appreciate Next Gen when it was on television, but I came into adolescence with DS9. So I totally get you.
    Your....favorite....what?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

I have an idea for a superhero! I don't know what his name should be, so I'll just represent it with a tilde.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    ~'s mother was an exceptionally talented human knight, and his father was an archangel. ~ himself followed in his mother's footsteps, becoming a knight himself as soon as he was able; he ended up exceeding even her, in part due to his angelic heritage. ~ made many friends, yet also quite a few enemies, and eventually, he decided to retire.

It didn't last.

~ was given a robotic bodyguard to protect him, as by now he was too old to protect himself. One day, a magical accident occurred, and ~ and his guardian robot were somehow fused, body and mind, into one being! As the robot was designed to be eternally vigilant, so too became ~. With his renewed cyborg strength, he now defends all life 24/7 against those who would corrupt or destroy it, intending to never sleep unless and until the world becomes completely safe for all. He knows this is an impossible goal, but he still does not back down.

Basically, he's an unsleeping, part-angel cyborg. Cool idea, right?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Your....favorite....what?
    There's a funny image related to that showing a character from one sci-fi series along with a quote from another, attributed to a character from a third series. I don't know where it is, though, so if anybody could find it that'd be great.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    There's a funny image related to that showing a character from one sci-fi series along with a quote from another, attributed to a character from a third series. I don't know where it is, though, so if anybody could find it that'd be great.
    Not exactly the same, but you mean one like this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Not exactly the same, but you mean one like this?
    I know one that says "Use the force, Harry - Gandalf" with a picture of Captain Picard.