New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [PF] Iron Gods: You Are (Not) Alone In Character

Sherrin calls out nervously Hey Maatook, are we going to take this down or are we going to try to stop it some other way?. His lack of knowledge removes some of the confidence he held in the tavern, and he desperately tries to stop himself from getting too anxious.
    Games:

DM for Reign of Winter AP

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maatook wasn't sure exactly how to deal with it, but he'd at least give it a chance ... given his father had apparently brought it back. "Hey, you, metal thing! Stop tearing up our house or I'll have to cut your arms off!" Moving to try and obstruct the machine, Maatook stood at the ready, hoping someone else might have a better idea, but not willing to let this thing keep destroying the house.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hope someone else can speak Machine ... Maatook can't!

Status
    AC: 16 HPs: 14/14
    F +4 R +2 W +2
    Effects: none
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Sherrin nervously looks to Maatook, before taking a few calming breaths, or attempts at calming breaths anyway, and lunging forward, aiming for one of the exposed parts of the robot.

Show
    So, a called shot aimed at one of the exposed wires.

Attack: (1d20-2)[5]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Games:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sherrin's rapier skitters harmlessly across the creature's iron carapace. Despite having exposed holes to aim for, the various scuffs, dents, and notches adorning its surface make guiding the point of his blade into one a more difficult prospect. The air in the room seems to sizzle with intensity as the machine's glowing eyes emit a much more fierce and luminous red. It's foreign gibberish grows distressed and perhaps angry by the turn of events as it brings its drilling fingers to bear against the two of you!

Spoiler
    Show
    So here's where initiative starts, but Maatook can act on a surprise round if he wants. The robot isn't hostile until after those first attempts at harming it.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-06 at 02:58 PM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

(OOC - I'm not sure what to do ... Maatook tried to talk to the thing, but I never got a response. None of us have the knowledge (or made the check) to figure out how to 'turn it off' so I guess we're bound for combat. If I misread something, let me know)

With the thing looking for all the world like a berserk creature and Sherrin already moving to attack, Maatook decided to stop playing around and act. With a flash of purpose, his arms swelled as he stepped forward and swiftly brought his blade down in an arcing blow, powered by his adrenaline ...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Rage, then attack (w/power attack).
    Attack - (1d20+7)[27], Damage - (1d10+12)[14]
    EDIT: (29 dam if 16 confirms and it can be critted)

Status
    AC: 18 HPs: 14/14
    F +4 R +4 W +4
    Effects: rage (+4 Str/Dex, +2 Will [morale]); power attack (-1 att / +3 dam [untyped])
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-06-08 at 03:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Maatook's mighty blow splits the steel of the thing's carapace along an unseen seam. The vicious grinding sound that accompanies the impact does nothing to dissuade him as his swing rends neatly through the delicate underlying circuitry. The robot has only but a brief moment to continue its shrieking in its foreign tongue before it loses the strength to stand entirely. With a series of metallic clangs, it falls, immediately motionless, to the stone floor. The absence of the red light previously issuing from its eyes is the final indicator that it is truly slain.

Val rushes back into the room to see the source of the commotion, hands empty of the few sheets she was holding onto when she opened the door in a panic earlier. She looks first at the corpse on the floor than to the weapon most likely to have caused the wound. The smile lights up her blue eyes before it reaches her lips. "You did it!" She exclaims. She offers a hug while continuing to explain with a bit of solemnity, "I was going to try to zap it with one of the cantrips dad taught me, but once those drills started going I lost myself. Losing this place right after dad getting lost, it all would've been the end of me." Her head inclines to Sherrin, "Thank you," then to Maatook, "Both of you..."

Show
    The lack of response was written-in actually. It only understood Androffan, like most robots, and it's malfunctions were making it particularly unresponsive.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Sherrin looks guiltily towards the pair. Well, I didn't really do anything, unless you count distracting it as something. Maatook did all the work. He turns to look at the machine. I'm assuming Khonnir would want to keep it, for scrap if nothing else. Turning to Maatook, he slides his rapier back into his belt. If we're going to find Khonnir, we should probably leave now.
    Games:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maatook dropped the tip of his blade with a heavy sigh, breathing heavily for a moment as he collected himself. Checking his blade, he sheathed it and went to check the inanimate body for a moment before nodding to Sherrin and helping to put the android in a safer place. Turning back to the others, he shook his head. "Well, if there's nothing else to worry about, I think you're right - we should get over to the Council and see if they have any further information. If everyone has their gear, let's get a move on ..."

Show
    Release the rage, help stow the body, check it for anything unusual. Then off to get this quest started!

Status
    AC: 18 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
    F +4 R +4 W +4
    Effects:

**Note - I'll be on vacation until next week, with limited posting. Bot as necessary!
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-06-11 at 12:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

With that, Malena and Talia join you in Khonnir's home with some sheepish looks on their faces. Lacking understanding of the need for some pleasantries, Talia speaks first and rather bluntly, "We won't be joining you from here on."

The wispy humanoid beside her appears irked by the forthrightness of it, but says nothing to correct her. With a hand to her quirked brow, she adds, "Yes, unfortunately we've found that undertaking any more dangerous courses of action than this would not be very beneficial to either of us." She shoots one last irritated glance at Talia before adding lightly, "For different reasons..."

Talia elaborates, "The discovery of technology beneath Torch means that word will eventually spread to the Technic League, who will no doubt come to collect it as tribute for the Black Sovereign. If I remain by the time they arrive, my personhood is in danger. They do not believe us to be in possession of what is called a soul." Her bitterness matches Malena's, but she seems to have grown resolute since walking in.

Malena's palm falls to idly stroke a spellbook hanging from a chain at her waist, beneath her cloak. "I'm afraid I can't be quite as direct with my reasons, but they are similar. Someone's looking for me too, and this will bring them running. We both need to make ourselves scarce if we want to hold onto our lives."

Val's heart sinks visibly into the pit of her stomach. She evidently can't believe that the one idea she had put so much stock into for rescuing her father had only managed to turn up one trustworthy man. Malena's grimace returns as she goes to offer a hand in consolation, but Val turns it away, almost in tears. "Then go!" she bellows. "Get out of his house if you're not going to help him!"

A tense but silent moment follows with the two women departing, the sound of their shoes the only sensory input of them remaining for a moment. The time hangs heavily, breathing almost seems too rude to interrupt with. Val lets out another anguished yelp before demanding of no one in particular, "Then what now!? I just wait? I can't lose you too, Took!"
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-12 at 11:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

When the women excused themselves from the quest, Maatook followed them to the door, wincing at Val's vitriolic response. He whispered to them, "There is no shame in self-preservation. I appreciate you speaking your mind now, rather than halfway through battle. Farewell ... and I hope you find sanctuary."

Returning to the room, he walked over and hugged his sister, patting her gently on the back. "Calm down. Stop mourning for me like I'm already dead. We are better off with fewer people who are committed than worrying about those of a half-heart. Now, let's see what the town council has to say ..."

Show
    Ready to move onward!

Status
    AC: 18 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
    F +4 R +4 W +4
    Effects:

**Note - I'm on vacation until Friady, with limited posting. Bot if necessary!

11. - Top - End - #41

Val seems surprised at being reprimanded for her concern, but eventually nods in agreement with Took's assessment of the odds. She volunteers to stay behind and start making a few makeshift repairs to the home in light of the robot's alterations while Sherrin and her brother go to the town council's hall to get Khonnir's rescue well and truly underway. Without further delay, the two of you make your way towards the center of town to a building you have had no particular cause to enter previously but know quite well nevertheless. The building has as much of an official, nearly regal, bearing as can be afforded such an important municipal structure in a town of as relatively restricted means as Torch. Its outer walls are crafted, or at least plated, almost entirely with some alloy of starmetal, but even a casual eye can spot some sections made of much more mundane steel. Whether these sections are due to the eventual need for repairs on the building over the hundred years it has stood or because the prospectors' estimations of the vein of starmetal used in its construction were a bit generous, it is difficult for most to say for sure.

Regardless, your feet carry you up the few stone steps between the street and building's hand carved, tall wooden doors, each adorned with two square wooden reliefs of a hand holding a torch shedding a bright light. Despite their size, they open easily and inside you find the natural light of the tall windows of the building supplemented by candlelight at regular intervals even now during the middle of the day. Inside the spacious main chamber of the town hall, usually reserved for the council to debate legal matters publicly and to hear testimony and grievances from citizens, sits but a single aged dwarf woman. She wrings her hands idly as she sits awkwardly in one of the spectator's seats which ring around the space instead of at the council's table towards the head of the room. Even so, you know this woman is Dolga Freddert, the oldest member of the council and one of the few surviving founders of Torch. Upon seeing you, her hands still and she offers a polite smile as she addresses you. "Finally, someone between with half lick of courage between them. I was beginning to think I'd have to tell the others we'd have to start sending militiamen down there if no one took up the offer."

As she more closely examines who exactly has come calling, she adds, "And who should be more appropriate to lead the charge than our dear Khonnir's son himself. Good to see you, Maatook." She shakes his hand with gusto, but Took chafes under the recognition. "And, Sherrin, I believe, yes? I'd ask if you were still keeping out of trouble, but if you're here for what I think you are, you seem to have found another sort entirely." A small laugh accompany her smile and words, but you can see she is all business in her eyes. "How can I help you lads?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maatook nodded to the woman, a strained smile on his face as he extricated his hand from her vigorous shaking. "Well met, Dolga. We are here to look for my da and rumors have it there is a long stretch of the trail that is under water. We seek blessings to allow us to breath in water ... as well as any information you might have on the previous expeditions.

Also, are there no others ready to answer the call?"
    He glanced around in disappointment, then steeled himself for the journey ahead.

Show
    Back in action!

Status
    AC: 16 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
    F +4 R +2 W +2
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-06-19 at 08:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Maatook nodded to the woman, a strained smile on his face as he extricated his hand from her vigorous shaking. "Well met, Dolga. We are here to look for my da and rumors have it there is a long stretch of the trail that is under water. We seek blessings to allow us to breath in water ... as well as any information you might have on the previous expeditions."
    "We've just the thing fer that need, young Took. Councilman Kyte's in possession of a metamagic rod that'll keep his casting of a water breathing spell going much longer'n normal. You'll find him at Crowfeather Palace, right on the way to the lake where the entrance to the cave is. Joram's in there running the purification plant like always now that Khonnir isn't around to make sure it's goin'. As fer the other parties, the only folks to come back alive from those caverns were yer da and his allies. They said they ran into some skulks, but that Khonnir managed to scare them off. That does mean that there's an entrance to the Darklands down there somewhere. I'd steer clear o' that if I had the chance. Besides them, we lost two adventuring parties, one of humans and one of halflings, and a bunch of the local street toughs, though we're not exactly mourning their disappearances..."

"Also, are there no others ready to answer the call?" He glanced around in disappointment, then steeled himself for the journey ahead.
    "Bah, cowards, the lot of them. I even had the town criers start doing rounds this morning offering a 20% discount on anything they buy to help with the effort. I've not even had one soul come in and try to lie to me about it just for the free money! This thing's got people scared. Even the adventures coming in from out of town are just passing through, and without the torch, it won't be long before they just stop coming entirely if their special smithing needs aren't going to be met! I'll give you one of the notices if you need. We'll be paying everyone the difference on what the discounts for out of the treasury, but I'm sure some of the shopkeeps still won't be happy about it. Something with an official seal and signature ought to grease the wheels a bit there though."
    Last edited by Amazo; 2015-06-20 at 10:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maatook nodded solemnly, knowing that the official seal would go a long way to forcing the merchants to keep their promises. He was frustrated that no one else had come to the call, but it simply meant that he needed to be that much more focused to ensure his da's return. "Sounds good, Dolga. I'm guessin' if were' it, then we'd best stop wasting time; hoping for more won't bring my da back any sooner. We'll take those documents, and we'll head over to see the Councilman before we leave. Thanks for all your advice ... and if you get the chance, could you check in on Val every so often? I don't know how long this will take, but with the tavern and house empty, I'm sure she'll be feeling lonely."

Turning to Sherrin, he adjusted his pack and nodded his head. "You ready?"

Show
    Ready to go - onward!

Status
    AC: 16 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
    F +4 R +2 W +2