New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown (IC)

With a quiet snort of irritation, Gundwolf abruptly pushes between Aurora and Kristoph, entering the room and raising his flail against the possibility of any unseen foe!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[23] with Darkvision 60
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Elian steps away from the door, southward, to keep an eye on both legs of the hallway leading to this point. His eyes blacken over, as he scans the hallway. "What see you, Gundwolf?" he calls back to the room, while he plays lookout.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+10)[27] w/ darkvision-y goodness & detect magic.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gundwolf enters the room, flail in hand, expecting some sort of trouble as he scans the room. Initially he sees nothing of interest aside from the discarded detritus on the floor and in the corners and the old brands laying near the overturned brazier. He is about to call back to the others that he doesn't think there is anything there, and then he wrinkles his nose. Burnt flesh? He wonders, smelling the very distinctive odor.

Just as a warning is about to escape his lips, he sees that several of the brands are now floating in the air with glowing red tips aimed at him and the others in the door. The smell of burnt flesh gets stronger, followed by the screams of branded men and women as they fly through the air with the velocity of arrows loosed from Fruril's or Dreamstrider's bow!

The first one sinks deep in Gundwolf's shoulder near his neck, hissing and sizzling as the brand leaves a painful scar in the shape of the letter H. The second brand zooms through the air and sinks into much the same spot as Gundwolf's assailant, but this one leaves a permanently branded capital letter E. A third and fourth brand zings through the air, but they both clatter off of Kristoph's shield and off of the corner of the doorjamb as Socrates flutters away a moment before the brand can find him. Apparently this was the source of the bird's agitation and he was able to sense the danger beforehand.

Gundwolf and Aurora both are about to grab the burning wrought-iron brands from their skin, but they are no longer there. There are now laying back on the floor whence they once were, cold and motionless, as though they never attacked in the first place. The sound of the screaming men and women fades into nothingness.

Show

Gundwolf takes 10 points of damage and is permanently branded with the letter H.
    Aurora takes 9 points of damage and is permanently branded with the letter E.
    Attacks miss Socrates and Kristoph. No attacks on Ra'Hulhrim or Elian as they had hung back.

Only Socrates beat the initiative of the haunt, and thus the characters did not get to act except for Socrates who flew away.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Aiiieee!!!" Aurora screams in pain as the glowing brand sears her skin. She reaches up a trembling hand to near the affected area, but flinches away from the still-tender wound. Only then does she notice Gundwolf suffering the same effects. "Gundwolf, you're hurt! Hang on..." Going to his side, she inspects the wound before applying her Healing Hex.

Show
    Healing Hex Gundwolf for (1d8+2)[8] HP. Heal skill (1d20+5)[16] for flavor, and to diagnose anything special about the wounds.

Also, better late than never, casting Mage Armor on self.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    F NG Human Witch 3
    HP 10/22 --> 5/17 due to negative level
    Init +8
    Speed 30
    AC 16 (Touch 12, Flat-footed 14)
    CMD 11 --> 10
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4 --> +2,+2,+3
    CMB -1 --> -2
    Base Attack Bonus +1
    Current Ability Scores: Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 9
    Condition: --> 1 negative level

As the raw, red wound subsides to an angry red-brown, Aurora starts to shake her head, before wincing at the pain in her own shoulder. "It's going to leave quite a scar, I'm afraid. It looks like the letter H. Kristoph, Elian-" she turns to the others. "Would one of you look at my wound? I- I'm unable to aid myself again today as I just did Gundwolf." Socrates flutters agitatedly around the rafters, seeming to detect that now would not be a good time to resume his perch on Aurora's shoulder.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2015-06-12 at 08:41 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the brand sinks into his shoulder, Gundwolf hisses sharply. After a terse nod to Aurora by way of thanks, the half-orc's face darkens as he realizes the brand. After looking into the dark room for an obvious threat, he steps forward and swings his flail at the pile of brands, roaring I am not some BEAST to be BRANDED!! It is only after laying waste to every visible implement of such treatment that the barbarian stops, and after a few moments of deep breath, he returns his flail to its loop and stands stoically amid the wreckage, looking for anything of further interest in the room.

Show
    Perception at +7 for anything else of interest in the room?

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    The Life Link on Gundwolf will probably trigger before Aurora heals him, transferring 5 damage to Kristoph.

Silently wincing as the brands hit his allies, Kristoph stoically watches Gundwolf's tantrum as he turns to Aurora preparing to lay his hands on her when he winces again and blurts, "Ow!" At the same time, much of her wounds mysteriously heal.

Show
    Transfer the Life Link to Aurora, healing her for 5 HPs as the damage shifts to Kristoph. Assuming Ian's character sheet is accurate currently she needs 12 HPs healed, so it will trigger again for another 5 HPs transferred.

As her injuries mend Kristoph pales slightly, doing his best to maintain his composure as he feels the pain of her injuries. "You seem to be looking better - how do you feel now? Do you still need divine healing?" As he speaks he lightly touches his own arm, subconsciously mirroring the location of her new brand. "Pharasma heal us our wounds..." he says prayerfully.

Spoiler: Healing on Himself
    Show
    Cast Cure Light Wounds at least twice - I want to heal at least 10 HPs worth...(1d8+1)[5], (1d8+1)[8], (1d8+1)[6] Oops, forgot the +4 HPs (from two spells) from Kristoph's Fey Foundling feat.

Edit: Kristoph is now at 31/31 HPs. I think Gundwolf is likely close to full and Aurora should only be -2 from max. The Life Link is currently on her.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Elian steps forward, and takes Aurora's shoulders into his hands. "Dear, you must be more careful!" he chastises gently. "Here, let me...." As he retrieves the wand, he looks up to see Kristoph take Aurora's injuries upon himself. His eyes widen suddenly with recognition.

"That! That is exactly what you did to me! What is it?! How did you do it!?" As he realizes the attention he has suddenly drawn to himself and Kristoph, Elian suddenly becomes even more quiet and reserved than usual. "That is... You... look better, Aurora. Are we all fit to continue? I am sure I will not be the only one relieved when we depart this place."

As an afterthought, he reaches out to Aurora. "Please, stay back with me. I cannot abide to see you injured."

8. - Top - End - #1448

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "That! That is exactly what you did to me! What is it?! How did you do it!?"
    Looking as self-conscious as Elian did Kristoph quietly replies, "I don't know. Pharasma take me if I am lying, but I wish I did understand."

Looking down at his hands and rubbing the spots corresponding with Gundwolf's and Aurora's brands he says, "They were hurt, like you last night, and I wanted to heal them..."

As Elian suggests further exploration Kristoph nods and takes the lead again, moving down the hallway to the next door. "Perhaps if we take a bit longer this time before entering a room we won't be surprised by another haunt. If I look longer maybe I will see its aura first..."

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That- that was incredible, Kristoph! I've never seen such magic before! Although, now that I think about it, I think I recall reading something about the shamans of the Westerling tribes "taking on the wounds of their people" - it's a poor translation from the ancient Thassilonian, of course - hmm, I wonder if it could be related? Oh, where was the book of the Professor's? Over in the history section, hmm, yes that was it- below Lord Farthington's treatise on goblinoid dinner etiquette, yes..." The prospect of a new research subject seems to restore Aurora's spirits to near their normal levels, and she waits patiently beside Elian while the next door is opened.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1450

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph nods and replies, "I would be grateful if you discover anything. Until we return, however, let us stay focused on the task at hand..."

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Elian follows Kristoph down the hallway just behind him, eyes darkened to scan any latent auras, and otherwise peeled for any threats. At the next door, as he begins searching for traps or other hazards, he asks, "Kristoph, do you sense the presence of undead beyond?"

Show
    (1d20+10)[18] perception, or take 20 for 30.
    (1d20+12)[14] disable device, if necessary.

12. - Top - End - #1452

NecromancerGuy

"Kristoph, do you sense the presence of undead beyond?"
    After concentrating for a moment Kristoph answers, "Beyond the next door is a strong undead presence - at least as strong as any we have encountered so far. We should be cautious and prepared, though if it is a haunt instead of an animated corpse it may prove challenging in ways we cannot predict..."

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Unsure what to make of his allies abilities, he makes a mental not to talk it over later, Indeed Kristoph, there will be time enough for our more academic interests when the adrenaline fades and they are somewhere safer. Let me try my sight. To see if we see more together.

Ra'hulrhim walk up to the door, his eyes flash purple and he stares seemingly through the wooden door.

Show

Ra'hulrim uses his spirit sight trying to get a better read on the location and nature of the undead on the other side. He will step back, while maintaining wis Sprit Sense, when one of his sturdier companions goes to open the door.

Perception: (1d20+12)[27]
    Ra'hulhrim the Dream Strider and his companion Del'dretch for Carrion Crown

Raeziel the Ruby Magus for Curse of Strahd

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf stands close behind Kristoph, regarding the closed door with a mixture of fear, disgust, and hatred. His hands wander along the handle of his flail as though searching for a more solid grip on the weathered weapon.

15. - Top - End - #1455

After taking his frustrations and rage out on the branding irons on the floor, Gundwolf sweeps the room for anything else of interest. His search only produces a couple more branding irons tucked under some old debris in one corner of the room and little else.

Given that, the group makes their way cautiously up the angled hallway. They find the next door to be swollen and rotted much like most of the other doors in the ruins, though this door has an old rusted locking mechanism as well.

Elian takes a good look at the door and finds that the lock has largely been rusted so much as to be nigh inoperable, and likely the only thing keeping this door from opening is the fact that it is so swollen in its frame. After coming to that conclusion, he puts a slender pointed ear against the door to listen for any signs of activity on the other side, but shakes his head in the negative to his companions.

Kristoph and Dreamstrider put their magic to good use, scanning the other side of the door for undead emanations and finds a singularly strong source of undeath some twenty or so feet due west beyond it.

Spoiler: Kristoph
    Show

The aura on the other side of the door is of moderate strength, according to the description under detect undead. Certainly stronger than the other spirits and undead that they have encountered thus far aside from the haunts of the Piper and Father Charlatan.

Spoiler: Dreamstrider
    Show

Strangely, he does not see any more spirits on the other side of the door. It's almost like the warden's room - completely free of residual spiritual energy. But the undead presence is certainly impressive - certainly moreso than he has ever seen to date.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Full color image (the red X indicates where the undead aura is)
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

16. - Top - End - #1456

NecromancerGuy

As the undead aura's presence hits Kristoph he takes a deep breath. "Is everyone ready? Gundwolf, the undead on the other side of this door is as strong as any we have faced so far - do you wish to go first? If so, please allow me to call upon Pharasma to bless you with divine protection..."

Looking to the half-orc for confirmation, Kristoph lays his hand on the rager and intones a quick prayer, "Lady of Graves, defend and protect us as we fight your hated foes. In particular, heed our ally, Gundwolf, and guard his mind and body from the undead's foul influences. Bless him with virtue and your guidance as well." Followed by the sign of the spiral in the air before the tusked warrior, Kristoph steps back and gestures to the door.

Show
    Cast Protection from Evil (+2 Deflection bonus to AC, +2 Resistance bonus to all saves for 1 minute), Virtue (+1 temporary HP for 1 minute), and Guidance (+1 to a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check once in the next minute) on Gundwolf, then transfer the Life Link to him.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You be careful too!" Aurora whispers to Kristoph. With a series of gestures, a shimmering barrier of arcane energy settles into place around the paladin.
    Show
    Use Ward hex on Kristoph (+2 Deflection to AC, +2 Resistance to saving throws)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Silently, Elian steps forward and places a hand on Kristoph, before stepping back- anxious to see what lies beyond. Mentally, he prepares himself for whatever it may be.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    cast resistance on Kristoph, for +1 to saves for a minute

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf meets Kristoph's serious gaze for a moment. After glancing back toward the door and the hated creature behind, he grits his teeth, nodding tersely at the paladin. His expression remains uneasy as Kristoph invokes the power of Pharasma, but the half-orc waits for the preparations of the party to finish, and he sets one shoulder against the swollen door, snarling out Let's get this over with.

Show
    Intent is for Dreamstrider to finish whatever his preparations are, and then force the door open. Strength check: (1d20+4)[16]

Initiative: (1d20+2)[6]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian 3, Level 3, Init 2, HP 39/38, DR 0, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, CMD 20, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail Melee (1d10+Str*1.5, 19-20, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
    Sling (Bullets x 50) Ranged (1d4+Str, x2)
    Hide Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition None

20. - Top - End - #1460

Beholder

"The entity on the other side is powerful, let us take swift action to end it, but not without precautions."

"Let me channel the ley lines to help us be fleet of foot and strong of mind." Violet energies gather on his hand and he reaches out to touch Aurora's and Elian's shoulder. He takes a half-step toward a readied Gundwolf with a friendly hand outstretched, but Dreamstrider quickly snatches his hand back after half a heartbeat, and takes up his position at the rear.

He then knocks an arrow to his bow and lines up shot. Dreamstrider nods to his companions that he to is ready to face what's on the other side of that door.

Show

Dreamstrider:
    - casts resistance on allies himself, Aurora, and Elian
    - Knocks a +1 arrow to his bow and lines up a shot, he'll wait for others to engage in melee, but if it looks like there's hesitation (i.e. if he gets in the surprise round and our melee folks don't) he'll take a shot if he has clean one.

Initiative: (1d20+8)[12]
    If it come up:
    To hit: [roll]1d20 +9[/roll] crit. on (19-20/x3)
    Confirm: [roll]1d20 +9[/roll]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4]

21. - Top - End - #1461

Gundwolf shoulders open the rotted and warped door, which summarily comes off its hinges in short order, clattering to the ground in a cloud of dust and mold. Beyond, tangled mounds of moth-eaten fabric sit on several wooden tables, each surrounded by workbenches. Various sewing tools - shears, needles, rolls of thread, boxes of chalk, and other objects lie scattered over the floor, while the arm of what appears to be a skeleton protrudes from a stained heap of blue fabric to the west.

Gundwolf take a wary step into the room with his trademark flail in hand. As soon as he crosses the threshold, a loud, unearthly feminine wail of despair, terror and anguish fills the room. Thin wisps of bluish smoke begin to rise out of the pile of moldering clothes to the west as if they were on fire, yet no flame exists.

The azure smoke quickly coalesces into the vague shape of a female and then finally manifests as a beautiful young woman of roughly the same age as Kendra Lorrimor. She is dressed in a fine but tattered blue dress. Her hair is a deep blue as are the tears that run from her pale blue eyes and the tendrils of bluish smoke that emit from her nose and mouth. She floats above the fabric for a moment, a look of abject fear upon her face that quickly melts in favor of caution.

She lifts a pale delicate hand and points at Gundwolf as she floats a little closer, tentatively, "Are you the new guards to replace those cowards?" As she speaks, the smoke that pours out of her mouth intensifies, though it seems not to impede her ability to speak. At the same time that she speak, very faint shrieks and screams can be heard and a barely audible panicked feminine voice (hers) yelling, "NO! NO! Don't leave me here you bastards!!"

Show

Image of the woman in front of you:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge Religion DC 14
    Show

This is no minor undead or haunt. This is a ghost, a potentially dangerous apparition of someone that died here in a particularly cruel or terrifying way.

Spoiler: Knowledge Local or History DC15
    Show

You recognize her. This is Vesorianna Hawkran, the wife of the warden of this place. She was rumored to have died here in the fire along with the prisoners after visiting her husband that fateful night.

No initiative necessary. Yet.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora flinches away from the unearthly cry, and gasps as the wispy apparition comes into view.
    Spoiler: Knowledges
    Show
    Religion (1d20+5)[20] vs DC 14
    History (1d20+8)[24] vs DC 15
    Local (1d20+5)[20] vs DC 15 (if I get to make two checks - not sure if that's legit!)

"Careful!!!" she whispers urgently to the others. "That's no ordinary undead - it's a Ghost! Completely incorporeal - your weapons won't harm it, Gundwolf! She must have died in a terrible fashion..."

A moment later several pieces click into place all at once for her, and her eyes go wide with recognition. "Wait! You- you're Vesorianna, aren't you? The warden's wife?" she takes a half-step forward to address the spirit directly. "We've heard of you... there were other spirits that said they were seeking you..." The pale blue smoke triggers another memory. "And- and it was you that saved the boy the other day, wasn't it?! From the rats! We, um, we thank you..." She looks uncertainly at the others, unsure of how to proceed next.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2015-06-25 at 10:43 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: checks
    Show
    (1d20+6)[8] religion (14) fail
    (1d20+6)[20] history (15) pass!
    (1d20+2)[9] local (15) fail

(1d20+10)[16] diplomacy (if it's not clear, I'm trying to positively influence her impression of us, and hopefully gain a bit of information. I can roll more, if you need me to, just let me know what (or roll for me))

Elian quickly steps forward, his empty hands spread wide in a placating gesture. His eyes show recognition of the woman, though he doesn't understand her state until Aurora names it.

He bows gently to the specter, and begins to speak. "Lady Hawkran, the girl speaks truth. Your compassion is unquestioned, and your life well-remembered. We are not guards, but may rather be considered your guides and allies. We seek, above all else, the release of the ails this place has brought to Ravengro and its citizens- chiefly yourself. Please, tell us what it is that torments you so, that we may provide relief."

24. - Top - End - #1464

Beholder

Ra'hulhrim's bow dips. He slowly stows the arrow back into his quiver and deftly slips a new arrow into the nocking point of his bowstring. He does not draw his bow, but is ready should he need to. His eyes dart to Aurora and Elian content to let them engage with the ghost.

Show

Ra'hulhrim's swaps out the +1 arrow for a ghost touched arrow.
    His intent is to look less threatening by not drawing his bow taught.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Aurora's warning reaches Gundwolf, the burly barbarian freezes mid-step. The determination drains from his eyes, and his grayish face pales... As Aurora and Elian address the apparition, he creeps backward, his eyes not leaving the ghost's face but his body betraying his desire to back out of the haunted room.

26. - Top - End - #1466

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    "Are you the new guards to replace those cowards?"

"NO! NO! Don't leave me here you bastards!!"

Spoiler: Knowledge Religion DC 14
    Show

This is no minor undead or haunt. This is a ghost, a potentially dangerous apparition of someone that died here in a particularly cruel or terrifying way.
    Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion)
    Show
    (1d20+7)[16] vs. DC 14

Kristoph's eyes go wide as he silently makes the sign of the spiral on his chest when he sees the apparition. Recognizing the undead form for what it is, he silently places himself slowly between the others in the party and the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "That's no ordinary undead - it's a Ghost!

Wait! You- you're Vesorianna, aren't you? The warden's wife?
    "

"And- and it was you that saved the boy the other day, wasn't it?! From the rats! We, um, we thank you..."
    Quietly Kristoph says, "Aurora, while she may have helped before and been a loving person in life, there is no guarantee that the madness of undeath will not take control of her at any moment. Ghosts are immensely dangerous - please stay back and be careful."

"Please, tell us what it is that torments you so, that we may provide relief."
    Nodding, Kristoph addresses the phantom, saying, "Indeed, Mrs. Hawkran, thank you for saving that boy and controlling yourself now. Our mission is to provide you the opportunity to rest and move on to be with your husband in the next life. Where is the workshop? We will find the remains of both your husband and you and properly bury them in consecrated ground so you may both be at peace."

27. - Top - End - #1467

The smoking apparition of the late warden's wife considers Aurora's words, the tendrils of smoke continually emitting from her mouth and disappearing a moment later. Tears streak from her eyes as her features soften, "I could scarce let the boy die to the foulness of this place. But the effort was...painful. Weakening," she seems to shudder at some thought. "I am trapped here in this room. This chamber of my death. My tomb." Her pale blue eyes sharpen as she looks at the group, "You'll not condemn me to die here! You must help! But...you have already. But you...we...have much to do in my poor husband's absence."

Like before, while she speaks a much fainter voice shrieks in despair and cries, "But I must go to him! WHY DID YOU CONDEMN HIM TO DIE!?" A moment later, faint coughs and choking sounds are heard. Lady Hawkran seems oblivious or possibly used to the duality of the past and present colliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink
    Lady Hawkran, the girl speaks truth. Your compassion is unquestioned, and your life well-remembered. We are not guards, but may rather be considered your guides and allies. We seek, above all else, the release of the ails this place has brought to Ravengro and its citizens- chiefly yourself. Please, tell us what it is that torments you so, that we may provide relief.
    Her eyes sparkle from the tears that continue to stream from them, but her features harden as her voice becomes more desperate, "What torments me? What torments me!? Those men and women in robes did some foul magic outside this place and my...my...good husband disappeared. Ripped from here. Ripped away from me! And now...now I can barely hold the others back! I...cannot let that happen! I miss my husband but I must hold up his good name! I MUST!" She yells, her eyes wide with anger and fear and determination all at the same time. A soft wind blows out from her during her outburst that smells strongly of smoke and soot, causing the groups eyes to water and make them choke and cough a bit.

She grows silent after that, eyes boring into the others. A moment later, she softly says, her voice full of defeat, "He's winning though. Every day, he wins a little more. And I only become that much weaker."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981
    Our mission is to provide you the opportunity to rest and move on to be with your husband in the next life.
    She narrows her eyes on the paladin, "Then you have already failed. He is gone. His bones are here, but his spirit is taken. Gone." She whispers sadly.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-06-28 at 11:50 AM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

28. - Top - End - #1468

NecromancerGuy

With a mixture of fear and respect in his eyes, Kristoph gestures to the rest of the party behind him and quietly says, "We should leave her now - our lives are at risk and she has told us much already. Please back out carefully but quickly."

To encourage the others to retreat he follows his own advice, his arms out to the sides to help guide the party back out the door through which they entered Vesorianna Hawkran's resting place. Only after they are out of the room with the door shut again does he speak again. "I mean the lady no disrespect, but that was incredibly dangerous and in no small way reckless. In spite of her good will, the hints of madness we all heard and felt demonstrate how slightly it she was under control. We have learned much, however, and I think we are making good progress. Let us mark this door with a warning, both to remind us and any others who might follow should we fail, and continue exploring this level. We still have some time before retreating to Ravengro for tonight's meeting. Is everyone still alright and willing to continue?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+7)[9] to recognize the importance of anything Vesorianna said.

I think there were lots of clues dropped there but Kristoph (and I) are serious that this encounter is amazingly dangerous if not handled carefully. If the other players/PCs do not retreat from that room, I think they are risking themselves for very little gain beyond what we have already learned.

Speaking of already learned - She is clearly holding back the dark influences of this prison from the town and weakening. I think we all suspected that already, but she confirmed it.

"Those men and women in robes did some foul magic outside this place and my good husband disappeared." - I suspect we have a clue to the next hook for the adventure path in this statement. Right now we aren't fighting the Whispering Way directly. We are cleaning up after a successful ritual of theirs that threatens the town of Ravengro. Cleaning out the prison seems to be the best we can expect to accomplish here.

"He's winning though. Every day, he wins a little more. And I only become that much weaker." - I suspect this is the final boss whom we most likely heard from the basement level when we were near the open hole. Defeating him will likely end the most significant of the haunting effects. Both I and Kristoph could be convinced that rather than finish exploring the ground floor that we should return to town, rest up and let Aurora pass her save and heal the negative level afflicting her, and return to directly challenge (and defeat) that enemy. However, if the rest of the ruin's denizens would assist the boss, then we would be well served to finish our exploration first. Any opinions?

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    She grows silent after that, eyes boring into the others. A moment later, she softly says, her voice full of defeat, "He's winning though. Every day, he wins a little more. And I only become that much weaker."
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    With a mixture of fear and respect in his eyes, Kristoph gestures to the rest of the party behind him and quietly says, "We should leave her now - our lives are at risk and she has told us much already. Please back out carefully but quickly."
    Elian stands put, while the others file out from the room. "Not just yet," he whispers to Kristoph.

He turns to Vesorianna and bows his head respectfully again. "I implore you, good lady, remember yourself. Your name and your husband's name will be remembered for the good you have done! We will aid you in your struggle." Finally, he backs slowly from the room, following the rest of his companions.

In the hallway, he looks to his companions, somehow both shaken and more confident than ever. "Well, that was exciting. If we still have the time and ability to press onward on this floor, I think we should. Every creature we lay to rest- that perpetuates this desecration, at least- is one more piece of the Whispering Way's power with which we will no longer have to contend."

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Let us mark this door with a warning, both to remind us and any others who might follow should we fail, and continue exploring this level. We still have some time before retreating to Ravengro for tonight's meeting. Is everyone still alright and willing to continue?[/COLOR]"
    Aurora nods her agreement and strokes Socrates for comfort, casting nervous glances at the door every so often. "Yes... She said she was constrained to that room alone, so we ought to be quite safe... from her, anyway. Indeed, we should press on!" She pulls out a handkerchief to dab at beads of cold sweat on her forehead. "I can manage- as long as there are no more wights!" She grins weakly as she re-casts her Light spell and prepares to follow the others.
    Show