New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XVII: Edition of Cascading Years

I have a question about first edition.

How do mortal characters learn Sorcery? Simple forms of magic can be handled as straightforward Occult rolls, and the Player's Guide apparently describes a more powerful form of magic suitable for mortal use called Thaumaturgy. I keep seeing statements throughout a few books that mortals on occasion learn to use actual Sorcery, though.

The requirements for casting a Sorcery spell consist of having the appropriate Charm, expending xp to learn the spell, and expending willpower and Essence to cast it. The last two are well within the reach of mortal characters, but the rules are very explicit that mortal characters cannot buy Charms. So how do mortal characters acquire the needed Charms?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2015-12-27 at 06:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

In second edition it's simply handled by letting enlightened mortals buy Sorcery Initiation charms (well, the first one) if they have preposterously-high (for a mortal) Essence and Occult. I think it also requires a lot more effort than an Exalt buying the charm, but mechanically it's just represented by buying a charm. Same goes for martial arts charms - mortals can learn those, too, if they have enlightened essence and have someone willing to teach them.

I think the requirements are something like Essence 3 and Occult 5 for the first circle, and the rest are impossible because mortals can't raise their Essence or Abilities any higher than that.

I have no idea how first edition handles it though. Sorry.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2015-12-27 at 11:19 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I have no idea how first edition handles it though. Sorry.
    No, what you've described is still helpful. At least I now have a bearing on what the threads I've been reading have been talking about.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Heyo! I've created an interest check thread over the recruitment sub-forum. Any ST eager to test the new 3rd Edition system can come over the forum and check us with this name: [Interest Check] Exalted! Third Edition! No links yet, sorry. I'm sorta línea new.

We're planning on having a campaign on the new South!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Hey all, was hoping someone could help with a couple questions on Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style: *Edit: 3rd edition, sorry!*

With Elegant Weapon Repetoire, can you use Martial Arts to attack with the essence-infused items, or would you have to use Melee?

And since it doesn't state that you can stunt to deal lethal unarmed damage with Dreaming Pearl, there's nothing restricting me from using the Fists of Iron charm from Brawl to do so (as well as Parry if something bypasses Dodge.

And I made my first Exalted character!

Spoiler: Dancing Leaf, Night Caste brothel worker turned kung fu assassin
    Show
    Dancing Leaf, night caste
    Strength 2, Dex 4, Sta 3
    Cha 3, Man 4, App 4
    Per 3, Int 2, Wits 3

Athletics 3 (caste, specialty acrobatics)
    Awareness 2
    Brawl 1 (favored)
    Dodge 5 (Supernal )
    Integrity 3 (favored)
    Investigate 1
    Larceny 2 (caste)
    Linguistics 1 (favored)
    Martial arts 5 (dreaming pearl, favored)
    Performance 3 (favored, specialty dance )
    Presence 2 (favored)
    Resistance 2
    Socialize 4 (caste, specialty entertaining)
    Stealth 3 (caste, specialty blending )

Willpower 7
    Essence 1
    Personal motes 13
    Peripheral motes 33

Merits
    Martial artist (cost 4)
    Languages (cost 3 -High Realm, Low Realm, Dragontongue)
    Mentor (cost 3)

Limit trigger : Being treated or ordered about in a dismissive manner (like a slave)

Soak 3 hardness 0
    Parry 5 evasion 5
    Resolve 3 guile 4
    13 health (one 0, three -1, seven -2, one -4, one inc)

Intimacies
    Defining tie/principle:Slavery cannot be suffered
    Major tie:Dragonblooded soldiers (resentment and fear)
    Minor tie:mysterious mentor (wary gratitude)
    Minor tie/principle: Everyone has a price

Charms
    Demure carp feint
    Elegant weapon repetoire
    Pearlescent filigree defense
    Ox body meditation X2
    Reed in the wind
    Soaring quicksilver flight
    Force - stealing feint
    Seven shadow evasion
    Drifting leaf elusion
    Seasoned criminal method
    Thousand courtesan ways
    Motive discerning technique
    Easily overlooked prana
    Fists of iron

I'm aiming for him to be pretty good in combat and social situations, especially when he can get the drop on someone. Have I made any glaring errors or missed any important charms/abilities? Also, what would be nastier to combine with Dreaming Pearl - Snake style, or Black Claw? I'm leaning towards Black Claw (not just because it looks hilarious).
    Last edited by curious-puzzle; 2015-12-29 at 05:18 AM. Reason: forgot to say which edition

6. - Top - End - #606

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    I have a question about first edition.

How do mortal characters learn Sorcery?
    They didn't. They were limited to thaumaturgy, which was divided into Arts (a kind of super-specialty), Sciences (a power bought dot by dot, like old school WoD powers) and some stand-alone ritual powers.

Simple forms of magic can be handled as straightforward Occult rolls, and the Player's Guide apparently describes a more powerful form of magic suitable for mortal use called Thaumaturgy. I keep seeing statements throughout a few books that mortals on occasion learn to use actual Sorcery, though.
    They were referring to thaumaturgy, confusingly enough.

The requirements for casting a Sorcery spell consist of having the appropriate Charm, expending xp to learn the spell, and expending willpower and Essence to cast it. The last two are well within the reach of mortal characters, but the rules are very explicit that mortal characters cannot buy Charms. So how do mortal characters acquire the needed Charms?
    Even late 1e wasn't quite to the point where it allowed mortals to get sorcery. That's about twelve years ago for you. I'd say that if you want to deal with sorcery even in past editions, though, you should use most of the systems from EX3, because the older ones just couldn't make sorcery pop.
    Last edited by SaurOps; 2015-12-29 at 01:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaurOps View Post
    They were referring to thaumaturgy, confusingly enough.
    Really?

Let me pull a quote from Savant & Sorcerer: "God-Blooded and mortal sorcerers are the most rare of warstrider wearers. It takes great effort for mortals to unlock their Essence pools and learn to attune to artifacts, and few in the Age of Sorrow wish to 'waste' their talents becoming second-rate military assets after doing so."

From a review on the Exalted Player's Guide, I'm led to believe that Thaumaturgy is powered by "ritual points" instead of Essence motes. Thus, that quote doesn't seem to be talking about Thaumaturgy-practitioners to me, leading me to believe it's instead talking about Sorcery-practitioners.

Sorry if I seem a bit contrary. I'm still collecting books, leaving me with incomplete information, but the information I do have seems to point in the opposite direction.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by curious-puzzle View Post
    With Elegant Weapon Repetoire, can you use Martial Arts to attack with the essence-infused items, or would you have to use Melee?
    The section on the Dreaming Pearl form weapons specifies that the improvised weapons can be used with Dreaming Pearl.

And since it doesn't state that you can stunt to deal lethal unarmed damage with Dreaming Pearl, there's nothing restricting me from using the Fists of Iron charm from Brawl to do so (as well as Parry if something bypasses Dodge.
    Martial arts are explicitly not compatible with any other combat abilities. If you're making an MA attack it can't benefit from Fists of Iron Technique or any other non-MA charms.

9. - Top - End - #609

Daemon

Thanks, Lanaya!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaurOps View Post
    They didn't. They were limited to thaumaturgy, which was divided into Arts (a kind of super-specialty), Sciences (a power bought dot by dot, like old school WoD powers) and some stand-alone ritual powers.

No, an Essence 3, Occult 5 charm taught mortals sorcery.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #611

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Really?

Let me pull a quote from Savant & Sorcerer: "God-Blooded and mortal sorcerers are the most rare of warstrider wearers. It takes great effort for mortals to unlock their Essence pools and learn to attune to artifacts, and few in the Age of Sorrow wish to 'waste' their talents becoming second-rate military assets after doing so."

From a review on the Exalted Player's Guide, I'm led to believe that Thaumaturgy is powered by "ritual points" instead of Essence motes. Thus, that quote doesn't seem to be talking about Thaumaturgy-practitioners to me, leading me to believe it's instead talking about Sorcery-practitioners.

Sorry if I seem a bit contrary. I'm still collecting books, leaving me with incomplete information, but the information I do have seems to point in the opposite direction.
    I didn't get Savant and Sorcerer. I got extremely salty about the Lunar content that existed about the time that it and most of the Aspect Books came out.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

So suppose I have a Melee Supernal with Ox-Body Technique, Body-Mending Meditation, and heavy artifact armor. Am I better off with Durability of Oak Meditation or a second Ox-Body?

And I made my first Exalted character!

Spoiler: Dancing Leaf, Night Caste brothel worker turned kung fu assassin
    Show
    Dancing Leaf, night caste
    Strength 2, Dex 4, Sta 3
    Cha 3, Man 4, App 4
    Per 3, Int 2, Wits 3

Athletics 3 (caste, specialty acrobatics)
    Awareness 2
    Brawl 1 (favored)
    Dodge 5 (Supernal )
    Integrity 3 (favored)
    Investigate 1
    Larceny 2 (caste)
    Linguistics 1 (favored)
    Martial arts 5 (dreaming pearl, favored)
    Performance 3 (favored, specialty dance )
    Presence 2 (favored)
    Resistance 2
    Socialize 4 (caste, specialty entertaining)
    Stealth 3 (caste, specialty blending )

Willpower 7
    Essence 1
    Personal motes 13
    Peripheral motes 33

Merits
    Martial artist (cost 4)
    Languages (cost 3 -High Realm, Low Realm, Dragontongue)
    Mentor (cost 3)

Limit trigger : Being treated or ordered about in a dismissive manner (like a slave)

Soak 3 hardness 0
    Parry 5 evasion 5
    Resolve 3 guile 4
    13 health (one 0, three -1, seven -2, one -4, one inc)

Intimacies
    Defining tie/principle:Slavery cannot be suffered
    Major tie:Dragonblooded soldiers (resentment and fear)
    Minor tie:mysterious mentor (wary gratitude)
    Minor tie/principle: Everyone has a price

Charms
    Demure carp feint
    Elegant weapon repetoire
    Pearlescent filigree defense
    Ox body meditation X2
    Reed in the wind
    Soaring quicksilver flight
    Force - stealing feint
    Seven shadow evasion
    Drifting leaf elusion
    Seasoned criminal method
    Thousand courtesan ways
    Motive discerning technique
    Easily overlooked prana
    Fists of iron

I'm aiming for him to be pretty good in combat and social situations, especially when he can get the drop on someone. Have I made any glaring errors or missed any important charms/abilities?
    Off the top of my head:

> If you want to be "good in social situations" you're going to want either a few more dots in Presence or Harmonious Presence Meditation. Are there any particular sorts of social things you especially want to make sure to be good at?

> I'd swap Fists of Iron Technique for Shadow Over Water. The only time you should be parrying is against undodgeable attacks which there are one or two of in the whole book, and if you need to deal lethal damage you can just use a weapon. Negating onslaught penalties, on the other hand, is something you'll likely find yourself wanting to do often.

> The only time you want Motive-Discerning Technique one time is as a prerequisite; double-9s for 3m is almost always worse than the three Excellency dice you could be getting instead. Either buy that Charm again or drop it.

Also, what would be nastier to combine with Dreaming Pearl - Snake style, or Black Claw? I'm leaning towards Black Claw (not just because it looks hilarious).
    I thought about this a while ago for one of my own characters, but unfortunately neither of them are compatible with any Dreaming Pearl weapons (except unarmed) or with Pearlescent Filigree Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    Martial arts are explicitly not compatible with any other combat abilities. If you're making an MA attack it can't benefit from Fists of Iron Technique or any other non-MA charms.
    Actually it only says that you can't combine Martial Arts Charms with non-Martial Arts Charms. So you could totally enhance an unarmed Dreaming Pearl attack with Fists of Iron Technique, you just won't also be able to use Elegant Weapon Repertoire on that attack. That said, EWR is (IMO) almost always the superior attack-enhancer of the two, which is one more reason for a Dreaming Pearl user to not have Fists of Iron.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So suppose I have a Melee Supernal with Ox-Body Technique, Body-Mending Meditation, and heavy artifact armor. Am I better off with Durability of Oak Meditation or a second Ox-Body?
    What's your Stamina? I'd probably grab Durability of Oak Meditation in your case. You already have one OBT, and DoOM helps out your more active defenses. Plus, it puts you one Charm closer to Adamant Skin Technique.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    What's your Stamina?
    Three. If I were getting -0 health levels out of Ox-Body Technique a second one would be so worth it.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #615

Daemon

Wow, I had not seen Harmonious presence meditation. Definitely taking that instead of motive discerning technique, and swapping fists of iron for Shadow over water. Thanks, Sith_Happens!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I had not seen Harmonious presence meditation. Definitely taking that instead of motive discerning technique, and swapping fists of iron for Shadow over water. Thanks, Sith_Happens!
    This is just me but I'd go ahead and pre-commit the 7m-for-indefinite out of your peripheral so you never have to worry about it again. Mainly because if you're using the scene-long version you have to do it from your personal motes to avoid anima flare and you have way fewer of those.

I'm also really skeptical of that second Ox-Body Meditation. If you remember to stunt your Defense it'll take nine successes to hit you without using Reed in the Wind, and you steal two Initiative with each dodge. Your health levels are going to go a ridiculously long way.

17. - Top - End - #617

Quote Originally Posted by snakeobsidian View Post
    Heyo! I've created an interest check thread over the recruitment sub-forum. Any ST eager to test the new 3rd Edition system can come over the forum and check us with this name: [Interest Check] Exalted! Third Edition! No links yet, sorry. I'm sorta línea new.

We're planning on having a campaign on the new South!

So, I am going to run that test game of Exalted Third Edition. LINK to thread and LINK to post with background info on campaign and details of recruitment.

And on that note, happy new year, everyone.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

I thought about this a while ago for one of my own characters, but unfortunately neither of them are compatible with any Dreaming Pearl weapons (except unarmed) or with Pearlescent Filigree Defense.
    Correction to the above: Snake Style is compatible with Pearlescent Filigree Defense.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

Correction to the above: Snake Style is compatible with Pearlescent Filigree Defense.
    Unless you're in Carp Dragon form.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

When it says that a hold at bay attack "gains +5 automatic damage," is that dice of damage or health levels of damage?

21. - Top - End - #621
    Firbolg in the Playground

When it says that a hold at bay attack "gains +5 automatic damage," is that dice of damage or health levels of damage?
    Just dice.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

So I recently noticed what I think might be a pretty big problem with the new combat system: as far as I can tell from various rules and Charms and whatnot, you're generally supposed to know whether an attack you've just been targeted by is withering or decisive. The problem being that most players are going to hear "You're being decisive-attacked" and think "Time to full Excellency." Even with quick characters having uniform accuracy that more or less leaves only other Exalts with a decent chance of ever actually hitting a PC with a decisive attack (and even then only if they full Excellency as well).

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

They'll burn quite a few motes that way, though, if they're only relying on the Excellency. I think it's probably working-as-intended that Exalts can make themselves very hard to hit by spending resources. Also, if they don't have a penalty negator, onslaught penalties will help bring down their DV.

A separate question: I'd be interested to know about other settings that you (as Exalted players) have enjoyed, that share some of the same qualities that attracted you to Exalted. I really like the Exalted setting, but after five years of playing in it, I'm starting to feel that I've told most of the stories I really wanted to tell (although I've never gotten to play a lasting game at Essence 4+, so that would be nice, on the off-chance any prospective STs are reading ) I'm not a 3e enthusiast (although I am giving it a chance), so I'm looking around for other game systems+settings I might like. Recommendations would be very welcome.

I generally prefer fantasy settings to sci-fi ones, and I like the way Exalted draws from a lot of real-world cultures and is Definitely Not Fantasy Medieval Europe; I'm also pretty comprehensively not-interested in settings where sexism is ubiquitous. (There's nothing wrong with such settings existing, but I have no interest in playing in them.)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2016-01-11 at 06:27 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

24. - Top - End - #624

@Sith_Happens, I view this as a feature not a bug. It's just that Exalted are awesome and harming one should be difficult.

25. - Top - End - #625

I'm not sure it's a weakness of the system.

If you fail a decisive attack, you keep most of your initiative. There's a reasonable expectation that the attacker will be able to make another decisive attack with the same resources. It's a weirder way of wearing down the defender, but it happens. Makes sense that the most important attacks are backed up and defended against with all one's resources. In my experience, it just doesn't happen that way. People only use Excellencies if they think they have to, and rightly believe that they can survive many decisive attacks. Now, my players probably aren't representative, but that's what I've seen.

On the completely different topic of other games:
    Numenera's setting has the same taste to me as some kinds of Exalted. It's great at showing off weird and wondrous things.
    Black Crusade has a very different setting, being a Warhammer 40K game, but it feels like Exalted.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

The first Exalted game I ever played was in a Chrono Trigger setting, where time travel was not only a thing the PCs could do, it was the main plot. The game didn't last that long, but we actually spent most of our time in the Shogunate (where my character, a Night Caste, came from). The ST's thought was 1000AD="exalted year zero", 600AD="shogunate", 12,000BC="first age shenanigans", 65milBC="time of glory" and then 2300AD="post-doom darknessssssss"

The character that properly got me into Exalted wasn't even a real PC, there was a kid Defiler that came from the future and his familiar was a helltech zombie in a chinadress, and he would get insistent when people excluded her because HEY, she had a soul and everything!

And then we had to time travel to avert the bad future. Being super new to the setting I thought we could just pop into the time of glory and tell the Primordials things weren't gonna go well for them and they should pack up and move on to a new world, it's probably (definitely) a good thing I never got to make good on that because we would've had a bad time.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Three more 3e questions:

1. A few Socialize Charms make reference to "venting" Limit by defending your Intimacies. Is that a leftover from a previous version of the rules?

2. Are Solars supposed to display/undergo any changes in behavior as they gain Limit, or are they completely fine until Limit Break?

3. How should Body-Mending Meditation interact with aggravated damage?

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

2. Are Solars supposed to display/undergo any changes in behavior as they gain Limit, or are they completely fine until Limit Break?

Limit Break is the straw that breaks the camel' back, so there would be a build up leading to the explosion, yes. The Usurpation happened because of the Great Curse making the Solars ever more arrogant and erratic. So yes, but there's no mechanical requirement to do it.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #629

Three more 3e questions:

3. How should Body-Mending Meditation interact with aggravated damage?
    Not at all. BMM doesn't help you heal aggravated damage faster.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #630

Couple of quick Martial Arts questions. Assuming I am using a matched pair of slashing swords (or reaper daiklaves, but that gets to be a lot of merit points!) Is their any reason why I can't mix Steel Devil and Single Point? What do folk think of that as a match up?

Question 2 can I use MA's while mounted? I can't see anything explicitly banning it but a few friends of mine expressed scepticism. I suppose for the various unarmed styles it would be a bit odd, but this IS exalted after all!
    Awesome Tiefling Magus avatar complements of the amazing Smuchmuch!