New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 44: Baby it's cold outside

[Dragon Diplomacy]

Well... "lower" certainly happens. Some of the elves collapse on the ground entirely, quite a few drop their weapons (and a large percentage of those run for the village). A small core in the middle stop pointing them at Cleo, leaving the one she singled out... who doesn't seem to be moving very well.

It's out from behind the first rank that one comes out.

I am Landal: the Chief of this village, Dragon who Speaks.

Keiko grins

Cool! Found him on the first try.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-28 at 02:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Dragon Diplomacy]

Oooh! She didn't expect to be that surprising. Cleo grins widely.

"Chief Landal. You will tell me of your people. Why you hunt dragons, and also how you came to this place, what you believe in, why you are the chief. And maybe you will teach your followers some bravery later."

A pair of eyes focus on him, leaving that poor one in the center alone.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower - Floor Four

Phil looks on, both in curiosity and because he can see that this is a special moment for Zither.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Diplomacy]

Chief Landal looks around sourly at the "warriors" who proved rather... unwarlike. Then answers

We are the Darazim: we have dwelt here since the days when the gods walked the lands.

We follow the Way of Life: the path between the stones and the forest, the balance between need and desire, heat and cold, life and death. We believe that all things have a spirit, and yet that spirit is one all eventually return to that from whence they came.

I was selected by the council of elders, based on my history leading hunting parties. In a hundred twenty hunts, we were successful eighty three times and I never lost a hunter.

And we hunt the dragons as in turn they hunt us. It is a balance of power and respect, an assurance that the strongest and fittest of both kinds survive, and a limit upon either of us destroying the world around us as would surely happen if left unchecked.

He looks from Cleo to Keiko and back again

But never have I heard of a dragon that speaks, and never I have heard of a dragon such as either of you. Grey are the dragons we know, with scales dull and like lichened stones: winged and strong with the ability to turn all things to stone.

Keiko looks confused

Wait... dull? Not sparkly?

The Chief shakes his head slowly

No: completely without shine like the dry dust of the path. And mottled with grey green and grey brown patches just as the bones of the mountain.

5. - Top - End - #65

[Dragon Diplomacy]

Cleo nods.

They don't sound so bad. Basically...like elves are supposed to be.

"As you should not have. We are dragons from across the sea. But that's troubling, what you tell of the dragons you know."

She turns most of her eyes along with her head to look at Keiko.

"One single rock dragon that can speak. Shiny as we are. But she claimed to not get along with the feral dragons, yet at the same time was hunted by the elves. Would she really just never speak to them, or is she tricking us?"

Glances back to the chief.

"Are there hunts led by others? And how do the failed hunts usually go. I would imagine a shining dragon with scales of volcanic stone would be worth a mention by your hunters, no?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Diplomacy]

The chief responds

All hunts are led by others now... not all hunts are successful, not all return, and my duties as chief include being a constant and stabilizing influence - hard to do from the belly of a bear!

I hear the reports of the hunt leaders, and listen to the scouts and the foragers. I keep maps and lists, and schedule where to go and when. What times to hunt, what times to refrain. And I swear: never have any mentioned a talking dragon, nor one with shining scales.

Many failures are simply a time when no game was found. Much less frequent are times the party encounters an opponent for which they are outmatched: a great bear, a hulking boar, a savage cat... or a dragon. Encountering a dragon unexpectedly can be doom for the entire party: we find them later, dead or turned to stone. Particularly as one heads west... the direction from which you came...

He considers Cleo and Keiko

You are well-spoken, polite, and friendly. I think it unlikely that you have lurked for years, slaying my kinsmen. But this shining rock dragon you mention, who is supposedly native to this place... this is concerning.

Keiko sinks down a bit

And we just sent her to Meena's family... she was awfully curious about them... oh boy.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower- Floor Four

Zither winces at the injection, but when that's complete she turns and smiles, dropping her dress again and going to give Hotaru a hug. "Thank you. There's trousers I've seen, with a tail-hole especially for tieflings and others who have tails. I've never had any, because my tail was too short to fit in the gap and normal trousers rubbed uncomfortably. I'll stay here until it's grown in; I can't drive if I can't sit." Though her tail will get in the way to begin with, as she's not used to it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

[The Tower - Floor Four]‎

"I thought you didn't like hugs." Luna teases. And since I forgot to account for Vaylith, let's assume Luna's carrying the sleeping dragon child on her back. "Let's all meet around [general location of the Thanksmas thread], we need to go bond a bit. I'll call you on comms if anything comes up."

She grins, packs up her kit and passes Vaylith to Phil. *"And when your tail grows back, we can talk about augmenting it, if you wanted."‎

9. - Top - End - #69

[Dragon Diplomacy]

Cleo smiles at the chief. That makes so much more sense than what she thought he was saying at first.

"Thank you. One final question: what do you do with those turned to stone? And a warning. A pass has opened; soon, you will encounter scaled people from across the mountains. They should not be your enemies."
    "Keiko, can you transport us to the same shore where we first arrived? It won't take long to get to the village - depending what she's doing, we might even beat her there."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower - Floor Four

Phil takes Vaylith gently and cradles her, considering conjuring something along the lines of a stroller or self propelled cart. Bug of burden? That should do the trick. He casts bug of burden on the carapaced predator with whatever hand he currently has free, as it is no longer needed in its current capacity.

[a huge swift carapaced herbivore with tentacles, carrying (does this mean it has a saddle?). Additional variable: personality - competitive, quite masochistic, contemplative]
    Last edited by Nalix; 2016-01-28 at 08:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "Like a teenager?" Fettina looks appalled. She flashes Kirk a wicked grin. "Kirk, you're such a freak. What does that make me, to you?"
    [Out and About]

Kirk gives Dena a flat look. "That's not exactly an apt comparison." The drow shakes his head. "Then again, you two have the maturity of a couple of children, so maybe you're onto something." He strikes back!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko nods

Sorry, Chief. Love to stay and chat more, but I think bad things are afoot.

Here Into There!

This is a disorienting wrench, and Keiko (presumably with Cleo) will be in the very exact spot they were the first time.

I can always return to somewhere I have been before.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-28 at 09:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

[Dragon Rescue]

Cleo stumbles a little bit, but then gets her bearings and sings her spell of haste over the two of them.

"Back to the village, this way!"

Runs off away from the very spot they were before, along the trail they took. Not such a fun chase, this time around.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Rescue]

Keiko charges along after as fast as she can go, agitated and determined to fix this.

At the Sthiss village... it's in many ways worse than feared...

the villagers are in the village square, listening to Claire deliver a stirring speech about the dreadful elves and their wickedness. Expounding the glories of battle and duty to fight to the death. The villagers eat it up and cheer loudly!

Keiko skids to a stop, utterly aghast, and Claire smiles at Cleo and Keiko

I picked the wrong... side... I cause the war...

And see! Here are the dragons you met earlier, fleeing from the dreadful elves!

Keiko shakes her head vigorously

NO! They're NICE. These elves aren't allied with a demon lord!

But the villagers aren't listening...

A demon lord! Will we tolerate that in our land!?

A great shout echoes Keiko's "no"
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-28 at 10:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

[Dragon Demagoguery]

Yes, riling up a crowd, very nice. But it's mostly just words.

Cleo pulls out her set of pipes and starts to play. Doesn't everyone want to relax? Surely what they actually feel is that the elves are pretty cool and they're very content with the whole situation. There's absolutely nothing to form an angry mob over. She stands at the edge of the village and lets the music wash over them.

One pair of eyes watches Claire. Not amused at all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Demagoguery]

The crowd looks around and rapidly looses interest. Claire was not expecting this at all!

Their manipulations resulted in the near extinction of your people, Keiko! You're almost back up to three thousand people now, and it's all their fault! The dark elves caused the imperial civil war, and you're going to take their side now?! Seriously?

Keiko closes her eyes

You forget something very important, Messenger of Karliss.

Then she opens her eyes

The war didn't solve anything: in fact, it made so many things so very much worse. It was only when we stopped fighting and pulled together that things finally got better.

She takes a deep breath

I speak from personal experience. As you know perfectly well... it was my job to discourage encroaching human villages, and they can take a lot of discouragement. But you know what? I stopped doing that a long time ago, at the request of the Matron of the Shun Clan - the very people I was theoretically protecting asked me to stop.

And I did.

And now? Chengsha is a beautiful, thriving city of mixed Vulpan and Human population - and better than anything either group ever made alone. We are not made stronger by fighting: we are made stronger by working together for a better future!

Claire snarls, and Keiko snorts

And you might just have missed a really important point, Messenger

Keiko returns the snarl

I'm not a Messenger, I'm a Demigoddess.

The sparkly Mountain Dragon has heard as much as she cares to

Karliss smite you, you dreadful thing!

And she launches a searing red beam at the indignant water dragon!

17. - Top - End - #77

[Dragon Demagoguery]

Cleo smiles. Music still has charms to soothe a savage mob. Literal magical charms too, but she's confident she could have done it without, given a fair amount of time.

"You're not here to avenge the shadow foxes. You just want conflict. Because you're following orders."
    "If you were, I'd go on and on about what happened between my people and the original humans, and something about teamwork and forgiveness, yes."

Is there a rule where messengers aren't supposed to fight real gods? It sounds pretty heroic of them, honestly. Does it count as some sort of meddling they aren't allowed? Or is it just that they're terribly outclassed? Anyway, she doesn't know what that beam does exactly, but she trusts Keiko can handle it. Otherwise it would be really embarrassing to be insulting her as a messenger. And yes, her heart races as she sees the red and realizes that she doesn't know enough to help. But they've gotten through worse.

"But I don't actually care why you're doing it. You're a threat to the balance-" Cleo lifts up a claw and her wizard's staff appears gripped therein, bells ringing.
    "-and, let's be honest, more importantly, you're a lying piece of trash."

She snaps the staff in Claire's direction, and the clanging of the bells gives shape to the magic that results: an insubstantial emerald spear that binds its target to the plane they're on.

"Tell me about how you've prepared for me. Go on. I'm sure you have, right?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-01-29 at 12:27 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Battle]

Keiko braces herself and concentrates on resisting and deflecting the beam... and is a little surprised when it does nothing at all.

Um... you don't have many followers here, do you?

Claire snarls again as Cleo taunts and plane-locks her

As a matter of fact, I had two things planned in case you didn't fall in line.

Deafening Silence!

The spell that falls around Cleo now is horrible: an anti-sound of perilous magnitude that actively cancels vibrations within. (So think noise cancelling headphones rather than a forced dampening of the vibrations in the air)

Then she looks to the crowd

And for good measure: Mass Suggestion! The orange dragon is a monster: she has come to eat your children! You must defend yourselves!

The crowd murmurs and shuffles, looking at Cleo with concern. But Keiko has her head tilted as if listening to someone.

Matthew says that the best way to deal with a Messenger of a War God is to settle things down.

Mass Calm Emotions

This has a fairly schizophrenic effect...

The crowd is pacified. Given time to think, they easily shake off the suggestion as ludicrous.

Claire, on the other hand, screams like she was just dipped in boiling oil.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-01-29 at 11:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

[Dragon Battle]

That is, in fact, pretty horrible. And eating their children was never even the backup plan! But it was the right thing to do, on Claire's part. If it had been stilling the air, Cleo would still have been able to cast invisibility, silence, non-detection, countermagic, and such that run on inversions of normal spells. But in this chaos, she just stumbles a bit. Can't even speak to the angry crowd to point out how she didn't eat Meena.

But Keiko seems to have that in hand.

"..."

Very articulate.

Anyway, she isn't helpless in this cacaphony, and while her staff curls up and disappears, she runs towards Claire, calling on her simplest ability - covering the evil messenger in flowers.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower- Floor Four

"I don't, but for some things hugs are the best language." Zither smiles and steps back. Coincidentally, Thanksmas was hosted by Felandria's MagDonald's in Skyside, so that's an alternate thread since it's quite past Thanksmas.

Vaylith snoozes.

The carapaced predator I totally didn't forget about honest mutates! Its legs change into tentacles, though its carapace remains and armour plating is present on the tentacles; they can retract so that the plating is all that's visible of the limb. The carapace changes shape, settling into a saddle-shape that looks like it'd be reasonably comfortable to ride, and it no longer touches the floor. Large, internal gas bladders enable the creature to float just above the floor, created by a specialised process enabling it to generate methane in digestion which it can use to alter its height. Its mouthparts change shape, turning into a pair of hefty grasshopper or locust-like cutting shears, and its eyes project out on slight stalks.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
    [Outside the Temple Gate]

No matter how many years the chronomancer witnessed it, he never did agree with the way the world seemed to dim and wash to gray in his perspective whenever he moved outside the flow of time. Many assume while he does so, he's incredibly fast, though in reality it's as if everyone's moving through jello, or like they're caught in some terrible, overly dramatic slo-mo scene. The more he focuses on his abilities, the farther detached from the normal flow of time Eternus becomes. All in all, he's been fighting like a normal human being to a certain degree, at least in regards to swordplay. Seeing that his magic's being nullified when attempting to sunder his opponents' armor and weapons, the mage lets out a small sigh of regret. He didn't really want to kill them. Though now, it seemed that the new, metallic enemies would very soon fail if The Bronze Wizard didn't legitimately fight.

Powers forgive me. He offers a quick mental condolence, remembering his oath on taking the power of the Stormguard.

He glimpsed the arrival of the sorcerous, lighly armored daemon as it approached, in his eyes, barely moving. With enough time to spare, Suscipio abandoned his goals of leaving the killing for the metal horrors, and made several thrusts wherever he could find areas uncovered by the daemons' magical armor--joints, neck folds, attachment points, eye holes, anywhere his blade could find daemon flesh to rend while in his temporal blister. The mud would be as solid as stone to the mage, as it would not knead to his steps quickly enough in his current state offset from time to make notable difference. He knew that he and his colleague could afford no more time spent on fodder, and needed to hustle if they wanted to put an end to this chaos.

It's only when he notices the magical pit lord's hand begin to move up that the chronomancer bolts over until directly behind said fiend as its hand completes the motion. Assuming the Wizard needed to at least be in that general direction for the dark magic to take effect, it won't find the chronomancer as a target. At that point, he'll slam the butt of the sword onto any part of the lesser armored daemon's back that looks the most exposed. At the relative 'speed' he was traveling, such an attack may be jarring for such a creature, if not paralyzing for most mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Knight View Post
    [Outside The Temple Gate]

(This long-ass post is typed during a brief respite from a mentally-exhausting week. I find the scene confusing, see.)

Hei basks in this power. The kami of things obey him. HIM! As it should be. "More, I need more." He mutters to himself, scanning the battlefield. He concentrates on the razor wind, willing it to grow into a tornado storm and directing it to move thru the horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post

Cleo isn't playing around, and has no intention of giving them a foe they can find. Maybe they can follow the sound of the spell as it darts between them, behind them. But show herself? Why?

Another moment and they'll be rubble, and then the war machines will follow shortly after.

The wizard will perform said actions, the world around him frozen in time. But as he's moving much faster than everyone else he can't really see what happens to the fiends after he attacked them unless he's staying around to actually see how they react, considering how much faster he moves than the rest of the world.
    But where time passes normally the tornado Hei have whipped up is wreaking havoc among the horde of metal monsters attacking the temple. Even though it's also battering down the demon hounds the attack seems to have slowed down the advance to a crawl with the tall grass and the wall of fire. The fliers seems to decide to take another direction, dividing themselves into individuals, all flying in different directions to avoid being caught up in the tornado.

But a few stragglers manage to get through, slowly making their way towards the gate itself.
    Up on the plateau overlooking the battlefield things are going less in the demon's favor. The 'angel' have now destroyed one of the flame cannons and is flying towards the next one. Cleo has similar luck, tearing her flame cannon apart. Now only two remain and their protectors seems to be panicking.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

[The Tower - Floor Four]

(Then let's have Luna go and come back with Thanksmas gifts? And maybe a home base for all of them, since The Tower is retaken?)‎

Luna looks at the bug-like stroller that Phil's conjured, and her eyes narrow. "No, Phil. Our baby isn't sleeping on... that. Isn't there a baby cot somewhere here?" She afraid that the cot could run off with the child, try and bite her head off, or maybe even mutate her.‎

"On it, big sis." Nisha announces, then begins checking each of the rooms in all the floors for a baby cot, or even a bed Vaylith can use.‎

"Sorry, Phil, but I don't want anything happening to our baby." Luna smiles.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

The wizard will perform said actions, the world around him frozen in time. But as he's moving much faster than everyone else he can't really see what happens to the fiends after he attacked them unless he's staying around to actually see how they react, considering how much faster he moves than the rest of the world.
    But where time passes normally the tornado Hei have whipped up is wreaking havoc among the horde of metal monsters attacking the temple. Even though it's also battering down the demon hounds the attack seems to have slowed down the advance to a crawl with the tall grass and the wall of fire. The fliers seems to decide to take another direction, dividing themselves into individuals, all flying in different directions to avoid being caught up in the tornado.

But a few stragglers manage to get through, slowly making their way towards the gate itself.
    Up on the plateau overlooking the battlefield things are going less in the demon's favor. The 'angel' have now destroyed one of the flame cannons and is flying towards the next one. Cleo has similar luck, tearing her flame cannon apart. Now only two remain and their protectors seems to be panicking.

Hoping enough damage has been done, the chronomancer sheaths Ebb and turns to see what was beyond the gate in his dull gray outlook. Before much else, he takes the time to retrieve and restore his clockwork staff to its full length. Walking away from the havoc ensuing behind him, he reaches for his pocket-watch. Focusing briefly he attempts to glimpse the future in a bit more detail than the recent small intervals for which he's been using it.

Before his otherworldly eyes flood with a soft golden hue, he glances back to check the progress of the destruction of the cannons and smiles.

Good. He thought. With the next two down, we will be well on our way putting this catastrophe to an end.

A moment later his mind ought to be filled with the next half hour or so from his perspective.

((Feel free to PM if you'd prefer not to have everyone know out of character, either option is cool with me.))
    Last edited by Solidarity; 2016-01-31 at 10:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

The Tower - Floor Four

"What's wrong with it?" asked Phil. "It's a bug, so I can control it. She'll be fine. I don't want anything to happen to her either. I want her to grow up to be strong like you. Or maybe she'll learn magic like me. I'll help you look, if you like. Maybe we'll find something else around here that I can change into a stroller that you like." Phil joins in the search.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

The Tower- Floor Four

The riding-bug floats over to one of the nirnroot plants in the room's corner and starts to munch on the magical leaves. It seems quite content to eat the glowing, humming plant.

Lots of beds, many of which are still good enough for sleeping, on most floors. There's one which is pretty untouched, but it's in an apartment that has been boarded off and inhabited by a lurching zombie.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragons Avoiding Battle]

Keiko looks genuinely stricken

I wasn't trying to torture her!

Claire is only just recovering when Cleo plants flowers all over her

Argh! Just stop! Fight me already!

Keiko shakes her head

Nope: not gonna happen. You can't use your best powers outside of a fight. But we don't have to be enemies - we've still got fighting to do... Just not here. Take a chill pill and let's have a talk. Even back home, there's a more important enemy to worry about than each other.

Oh, and Greater Dispell Magic

The spell surrounding Cleo vanishes as if it had never been.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

The dragon is racing towards the final cannon, out from under the rubble of the first. Kind of a shame - but what was she going to do with a demonic flame cannon anyway? Really - but it had to be done. A carpet of grass and flowers begins to sprout from the ground where it fell apart. Hopefully that's not just more to burn in the future.

"Thank you, angel from wherever you've been brought."

She moves to dispose of these guardians just like the last ones - magically broken to bits. Mechanical guardians are rarely creative - what new thing could they manage?

[Dragons Embracing Battle]

Looks like Claire is saying something. Another spell?
    Cleo gathers herself up to leap at the Messenger...and the cacophony ends. She can hear, she can speak, she sings a brief 'do re mi' just because she can again.

"Thanks, Keiko!"

Then she turns to more practical song, weaving a spell to entangle the rock dragon in magically enhanced greenery - the grass under her feet, the nearest overhanging trees, the flowers all over...

They might want to repeat themselves now that she's not magically silenced. As far as Cleo knows, torturing Claire is definitely an option.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-01-30 at 09:09 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Keiko looks concerned as Claire gets turned into a topiary.

War God, Cleo: we need to avoid fighting - that's their strength.

Clarie looks sourly at the greenery and flowers

Ugh. Figures you agri-folks would use plants like this. But isn't your pet plant rice? Shouldn't you be a marsh dragon?

Keiko sticks out her tongue and shrugs, and then looks serious

So... do you want to work together, or do you want to get sent home? 'cause we're not going to let you start trouble between the Sthiss and the Darazim.

Claire looks sullen

29. - Top - End - #89

[Dragon Non-Battle]

"Not fighting. Not blocking, or hurting. Just restraining, keeping anyone from getting hurt, right?"

Cleo smiles and takes a few deep slow breaths to calm down.

"Well, stone isn't really on the table, obviously."

She chuckles at the marsh dragon thing.

"Don't be hasty, Keiko. We don't want to send her back just to see her return next week and start trouble again. There are ways to make a Messenger stay dead, right? And things in-between? Can we banish her for a hundred years? When does Karliss get to step in personally?"

The wood dragon paces around Claire, waiting for an additional shoe to drop. She said that there were two things prepared. Is she really willing to give up after using only one?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dragon Non-Battle]

Keiko hmms

He can't step in unless I use divine power - so far I've only used mortal spells, just like her. That's easy enough, since I don't even know what my divine power is ...

Claire snorts

... so as long as I stick with what I know, it won't be a problem. Making her stay dead would be on that list, so no way for that one. Don't want to anyway, she's really kinda cool and I'd hate to actually kill her: she's pretty and smart, and I was hoping we could all be friends.

Claire looks at Keiko in some surprise

In-between, yeah... most of those really suck too, though. Banish would take Sthissa: these are her followers and she certainly can exclude Karliss' folks from manifesting in her territory - but that's a possibility.

Claire harumphs

And she's from my home universe, so there are ways she can get incarnated just like me and that almost always causes a significant change in priorities for divine servants of gods who aren't ... uh ... homey? Inari and Tamamo are gods of life and home and family, so when we get incarnated we hardly notice. But with gods of locations or attributes or other weirder stuff it makes a huge difference.

Clair looks positively shocked

Wait... what did you say? I can get stuck as a mortal dragon if I do something wrong? What is it? What causes that?

It's Keiko's turn to smirk

Heh... she didn't even know about that: how funny. No, not gonna tell you right now Claire: if you want to keep fighting us, I'd rather you find that one out the hard way.

Claire narrow her eyes, then looks at Cleo.

Unfortunately, my instructions weren't to start a generic battle but to start one between these two groups. So...

She turns abruptly and breathes a blast of petrifying energy at Keiko. The startled water-dragoness doesn't even have time to prepare and swiftly flashes over to a dull grey stone.

Let me out of these plants, or she will remain stone forever: your mortal powers cannot undo my divine energies.

Of course, perhaps Cleo will remember Keiko's earlier enumeration of ways a Messenger becomes incarnated... which includes "using too much power outside of a temple.