New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Light the Signal New IC

Quote Originally Posted by Wdwune View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]He turns to William.[COLOR="#000080"] "Honestly speaking, I have no experiences on relationships, so I cannot add any piece of advice. However, I'm good at listening; so if you or Rebecca want to talk, I'm available. Please, make Rebecca know that as well, even if she and I never talked too much. You have my best wishes and I hope your relationship works smoothly as expected."
    "Thank you for your concern."

As everyone departed William was left puzzling why everyone seemed so concerned about Rebecca's well being. Had her breakup with her previous boyfriend really be that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    In answer, Rebecca reached up and removed her contact lenses. A pair of red eyes stared affectionately at William.

"I feel exactly the same way."

It was weird. They'd spent most of this date discussing some really uncomfortable subjects: Everything from writing third-rate trash for the sake of a paycheck, to the feeling of having the life drained from you, to some truly horrific injuries. And yet, it felt like things were going really well. She wasn't just dating William for the speedster tours, or the passionate makeouts (great as those were): But because the two of them had a real connection.
    "I'm glad you do." He reached up to place his hand on her cheek, peering into her eyes. "I love your eyes, they are very warm," he said smiling.

"I'm also coming to realise how popular you are. There have been a lot of people coming round hinting not so subtly that terrible things would happen to me if I broke your heart."

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

As he calmly walks to the gym, Orlando smiles. I think I just found my second in command.
    In the gym, John is trying to talk four martial arts major students to fight him at once. "Come on, please? You can use practice weapons and I'll have bare hands, I promise it'll be better than last time. I mean, I can hardly see your bruises anymore..."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ettin in the Playground

'Warm'; Good choice of compliment. Rebecca was fond of words like that. The mention of her 'fans' made her smile too.

"Ha, really? That's actually kinda sweet. Yeah, I've been really lucky when it comes to friends. I'm surrounded by wonderful, caring people...Plus a few overly hormonal Vampire fans...and an insanely annoying Fae princess. But hey, nowhere's perfect. Let me know if any of those guys start to bother you, though. I'll remind them that there's no harm in breaking a heart that's already stopped beating."

A complete lie, of course. Rebecca would be absolutely devastated if William betrayed her trust. But of course, that would never happen.

4. - Top - End - #1414

William let out a little chuckle.

"Come on, we both know that your heart may not be beating but that doesn't mean it can't reach out for others. Beside, as I told them, I'd sooner tear out my own heart than break yours. And I'm quite sure there would be a crowd all too ready to assist me in that endeavor."

He smiled and then added facetiously. "Stop me if I get too sickeningly sweet. If you don't watch out I might just catch a case of poetry when talking to you?"

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think a heavy dose of sweetness is exactly what we need right now. Come on, let's go and mingle."

Rebecca spoke while putting back her contact lenses. She took William by his (unbeknownst to her) injured hand, and kissed him on the cheek. She'd had her fill of angst for today. It was time to see what was happening in the world outside this room. With a spring in her step, she started walking towards the exit; And then stopped. She'd just had an idea.

"Actually, you know what? I'm gonna close my eyes; And when I open them, I want us to be somewhere else. Surprise me."

Her eyes were closed for two seconds; Though she very much doubted that William needed that long.

6. - Top - End - #1416

William spent a good second thinking about it, the pain in his hand slowed him down a little. He'd managed not to wince when Rebecca took his hand but only just.
    They couldn't get outside, it was still daytime and if he carried the girl outside the protective dome his girlfriend would very rapidly become his ex girlfriend. And he'd need a good dusting. Would it count as murder? Was she considered legaly dead? He made a note to research this, he might be able to write a detective novel with this idea.

Half a second, focus, William berrated himself. She did say a heavy dose of sweetness was in order.

He picked her up and a split second later dropped her off atop a set of scaffolding on the stage of the small theatre hall the school houses. Because of course signal as a theatre hall. Putting on more speed he relocate the few drama students away from the stage and into the seats, turns off the light and put a spotlight on Rebecca as well as on himself.

Before any of the students can wonder or protest about the sudden change William started speaking.

Who dreamed that beauty passes like a dream?
    For these red lips, with all their mournful pride,
    Mournful that no new wonder may betide,
    Troy passed away in one high funeral gleam,
    And Usna's children died.
    We and the labouring world are passing by:
    Amid men's souls, that waver and give place
    Like the pale waters in their wintry race,
    Under the passing stars, foam of the sky,
    Lives on this lonely face.
    Bow down, archangels, in your dim abode:
    Before you were, or any hearts to beat,
    Weary and kind one lingered by His seat;
    He made the world to be a grassy road
    Before her wandering feet.

When he said he'd start declaming poetry, he wasn't making an idle threat. But rather than use his own feeble words, poetry being especially difficult to do in your second language he instead settled upon declaming a poem from Yeats.

7. - Top - End - #1417

After few minutes of walking through the hallways, Orlando finally arrives at the gym. Perhaps Alice is waiting for him in there, or maybe she's not. At least Orlando feels relieved that punctuality is something both he and Alice have in common.

When he arrives at the gym, he pushes the doors open only to find John confronting four people in martial arts uniform.

First instinct? Help John. But immediately realizes it's only a practice session.

He looks around and notices Alice isn't anywhere in the gym, so he checks his cellphone and realizes he's still early for the meeting. Orlando handwaves at John (not wanting to disrupt his concentration) and finds a distant spot to sit and watch the fight.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

It didn't last long. The first to rush in was met with a flurry of jabs to his face and chest, John hitting him nonstop even as he fell to the mat. The second tried to take advantage of John's distraction by attacking him from behind, only to have his leg swept so hard he almost flipped sideways, only for John to give him a punch to the gut that sent him flying twenty feet off the mat. The last two attack in concert, coming from two directions. John rushed to meet one of them early, giving him a flying kick to the chest as the last made his own jumping kick, only for John to push off his friend and meet him in mid air, going over his leg and smashing him in the face. They land with John holding him by the shirt. "Next time, when I say you can use weapons, take me up on it." He lets him go and turns to leave.

9. - Top - End - #1419

Orlando claps his hands after witnessing John's display of martial prowess. "Impressive," he says to him. "Your stance was perfect, no openings!" He stands up, puts his katana back on his belt, and walks towards the five guys.

"And you guys," he turns to the other four, "why didn't you use practice weapons as he asked? You'll never be able to take him if you understimate him."

He turns back to John. "Sorry for interrupting, I came to see if Alice was here, but..." he checks the time at his cellphone once more. "Nevermind. Do you guys need any assistance?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground

John turns around. "Stance? Oh, I guess. I mostly watch action movies and copy what they do. I really need to start fighting people with more power than me, like Will or Bryn. So far no one in the school can beat me with pure skill. Maybe if I give them real weapons..."

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, it's going generally as anticipated."
    "Are you making friends?"
    "I... have been told as much."
    "Oh, I'm so proud! Are you fitting in?"
    "As per school policy I am being treated as any other student. And this unnecessary check-in is preventing me from interacting as planned with another student."
    "What? Oh! Oh right. I'll talk to you later."

Alice hung up the phone, which was of course an entirely figurative statement to say that she closed the cellular communication inside her head. Her 'parents', or rather the engineers that were responsible for her time here, had been checking in repeatedly. If Alice could be annoyed, she would have been.

Wandering around the school, Alice eventually comes across Orlando and the others, quietly watching the sparring match from across the room, silently cataloging every move.
    Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    It is the ultimate in pseudo-pubescent manly bonding experiences. If you are good at pins 'n' rims, you are good at life.

12. - Top - End - #1422

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    John turns around. "Stance? Oh, I guess. I mostly watch action movies and copy what they do. I really need to start fighting people with more power than me, like Will or Bryn. So far no one in the school can beat me with pure skill. Maybe if I give them real weapons..."
    Orlando slightly scratches his chin with a finger. "Um... That's good!" he says. "However, you should take into account that during the JKL patrols you may encounter dangerous people who has some special abilities as well. Perhaps you should try your skills and wits against the abilities of Bill, Bryn, or others..."

He momentarily doubts his next words. "Perhaps against mine? I don't have any flashy abilities like Ed's, Nanoha's or Warren's, and truthfully speaking I avoid unncessary violence, but if it's for the good of Team Bravo, I would gladly assist you if you want."

He notices Alice's presence, and handwaves her. "Hi there, Alice! We're still some minutes early, but I'll be there in a few. In the meantime, do you want to train with us?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Orlando slightly scratches his chin with a finger. "Um... That's good!" he says. "However, you should take into account that during the JKL patrols you may encounter dangerous people who has some special abilities as well. Perhaps you should try your skills and wits against the abilities of Bill, Bryn, or others..."

He momentarily doubts his next words. "Perhaps against mine? I don't have any flashy abilities like Ed's, Nanoha's or Warren's, and truthfully speaking I avoid unncessary violence, but if it's for the good of Team Bravo, I would gladly assist you if you want."

He notices Alice's presence, and handwaves her. "Hi there, Alice! We're still some minutes early, but I'll be there in a few. In the meantime, do you want to train with us?"
    "That...might work. But, if I were to shoot you, what would youuuuuuu..." He trails off...

Quote Originally Posted by Business Scrub View Post
    "Yes, it's going generally as anticipated."
    "Are you making friends?"
    "I... have been told as much."
    "Oh, I'm so proud! Are you fitting in?"
    "As per school policy I am being treated as any other student. And this unnecessary check-in is preventing me from interacting as planned with another student."
    "What? Oh! Oh right. I'll talk to you later."

Alice hung up the phone, which was of course an entirely figurative statement to say that she closed the cellular communication inside her head. Her 'parents', or rather the engineers that were responsible for her time here, had been checking in repeatedly. If Alice could be annoyed, she would have been.

Wandering around the school, Alice eventually comes across Orlando and the others, quietly watching the sparring match from across the room, silently cataloging every move.
    ...when his attention is diverted. "...Heeeey, Alice right? John. Sorry we didn't get much chance to talk before, lots of stuff going on. So how are you liking school so far?"

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Troll in the Playground

Alice waves to Orlando and shrugs. "I don't see why not."

She offers John her hand. "It's been... interesting, if not particularly elucidating. Have you been at this school long?"
    It is the ultimate in pseudo-pubescent manly bonding experiences. If you are good at pins 'n' rims, you are good at life.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground

He takes it. "Oh, just a few months. So if you need someone to...show you the ropes, I'm your guy."

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

Alice raises an eyebrow.

"I hope those ropes do not entail sparring," she says with a flicker of a smile.
    "Otherwise, I may appreciate that: it could be helpful to have someone who knows what is normal around here."

Spoiler
    Show
    I remembered that this is Alice's speaking color.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Quote Originally Posted by Business Scrub View Post
    "I hope those ropes do not entail sparring," she says with a flicker of a smile.
    Orlando chuckles. "I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that, amiga."

He turns to John. "Regarding your previous question, well..." he scratches his head, "if it's a handgun -and if I'm aware of it- I'd have no problem dodging or blocking a few bullets. A shotgun or machine gun, however, is trouble, but I could try getting out of your range or looking for cover to protect myself. But if you use a bazooka or grenade launcher..." he frowns. "That's real trouble."

"Oh, and you don't have to worry about Meiyo (my sword)," he adds. "I won't use it offensively against you; just as defense or support."
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2016-01-29 at 01:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

(I still haven't read all the 'meanwhile in the past' posts, but I will. Still, I didn't want to have that keep me from getting a post out today so...)

Back in the Present (Saturday Evening)

William in the cafeteria

Maria appears to take Williams question quite literally, "Yes, I have. Just now, in fact." She's able to maintain the deadpan expression for about 10 or 12 seconds before devolving into giggles. "I gather you eat a lot, then?"

She, by contrast, takes a small sampling of food-- a salad, a yogurt, and a banana.

-----

Everyone else

Bryn and Rebecca wait by the gates of the school until Orlando's squad is driven out in a school bus-- perhaps to the indignity of some of the JSK members. The pair of girls would have lost the bus, were it not for Rebecca's ability to fly above the buildings and keep it in sight. Even so, by the time they find a reasonably high vantage point, the bus has deposited its crew of student patrolers and gone on its way. This leaves Orlando in charge of the group, standing on a street corner in the financial district on a Saturday night. Before he has a chance to collect his thoughts and start to issue orders, a less-than-observant man in flashy clothes approaches them. "You kids looking to fly high tonight?"

Bryn settles in on the rooftop spot Rebecca had selected and retrieves a coffee cup that somehow managed to stay full, and starts to sip while looking down at their friends below. "Should've brought some binoculars, now that I think about it."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

Present day

"Gotcha covered!"

Rebecca extracted an old pair of binoculars from her shoulder bag. She'd packed pretty much everything within grabbing distance that seemed as if it might come in handy. If the lives of everyone here ended up depending on an airhorn and a guide to semaphore signalling, then she'd be ready to save the day.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyOfTheSith View Post
    Before he has a chance to collect his thoughts and start to issue orders, a less-than-observant man in flashy clothes approaches them. "You kids looking to fly high tonight?"
    Herald stares at this guy for several moments before collapsing into gales of laughter, almost falling over.

21. - Top - End - #1431

Willow spent most of the bus ride staring out of the window and trying to quell the queasy feelings. Vehicles were still not something she was used to - they smelled nasty and the feeling of movement with moving was nauseating. But at least she got to see some more of the world outside of the school. She was very happy to get off the bus when they reached their destination.

She took at moment to take in the sights, smells and sounds. As usual, weird and slightly unpleasant, but different and therefore fascinating. Her reverie was interrupted when the fancy-dressed man walked over.

"Bwuh? What do you mean?"
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Edward slid over beside Willow, patting her on the shoulder. "Never ye mind tha', luv. I'll 'andle this." He said, glancing briefly at Herald, still guffawing loudly.
    He then turned to the man, flashing him his trademark grin. "Well, tha' depends mate. What'che got? I 'ave to see tha' ye got a proper stock, with decent quality, yeah?" He continued, his eyes never leaving the dealer. He stood in a relaxed pose, one hand in his pocket, the other arm hanging down his side. He made a casual movement of his hand toward the others, to show that he had this covered.

Might I inquire why we are entertaining conversation with a man who is most likely a despicable deliverer of drugs? The fact that he immediately tried to sell to a group of adolescents does not speak in favor of his upstanding morals, brother.

Edward did not answer Henry's inquiry. Now was not the time to be talking to himself. Wouldn't want to seem weird to the nice scumbag. Instead Edward used one of his and Henry's lesser known tricks. He could not talk directly back to Henry in his mind, but he could think strongly, and give Henry a vague impression of his thoughts. So that is what he did.

What are you?... Oh... Ooooh, I see... Yes, while that is not an entirely proper or lawful way of handling this situation, I suppose it is better than letting him simply walk away, or arresting him immediately... I have to say I do not like it, however. We are not supposed to skirt the edges of what is allowed like that, Edward.

23. - Top - End - #1433

Back in the Present (Saturday Evening)

William in the cafeteria

Maria appears to take Williams question quite literally, "Yes, I have. Just now, in fact." She's able to maintain the deadpan expression for about 10 or 12 seconds before devolving into giggles. "I gather you eat a lot, then?"

She, by contrast, takes a small sampling of food-- a salad, a yogurt, and a banana.
    "Yes. I do," he says as he starts pilling up all the heaviest, fatest, meatiest food he can get his hand on one plate. Another gets filled with vegetables, the third with fruits and finaly the last one accomodates two whole cakes. In a flash he transfers the trays to the end of a table. He made sure to pick a spot with a couple free seats in case the girl wants to keep up their talk while they eat but he wouldn't be upset if she joined her friends. He was quite sure she had some.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

City Street

"I suppose I can part with a sample," the man says to Edward. He holds out one apparently-empty hand, palm down, to the youth.

Rooftop

Bryn takes the binoculars and peers through them down towards the street. "What else did you pack in there?" she asks her friend curiously. "Looks like they're talking to someone right now."

Cafeteria

Maria's interest seemed to be piqued by the giant pile of food. She takes a seat next to William, and a burly looking boy-- it wouldn't be surprising if he was named something like Guido, based on his size, and almost-bouncer-like appearance-- with a full tray sits on her other side. The rest of her group of patrolers disperse around the room in their various cliques and circles of friendship. "So, how much can you pack away at once? Could you, say, drink the water from a bursting dam? Even what you've got there looks like it would bloat you up like a Thanksgiving turkey before you could finish."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

25. - Top - End - #1435

Cafeteria

Maria's interest seemed to be piqued by the giant pile of food. She takes a seat next to William, and a burly looking boy-- it wouldn't be surprising if he was named something like Guido, based on his size, and almost-bouncer-like appearance-- with a full tray sits on her other side. The rest of her group of patrolers disperse around the room in their various cliques and circles of friendship. "So, how much can you pack away at once? Could you, say, drink the water from a bursting dam? Even what you've got there looks like it would bloat you up like a Thanksgiving turkey before you could finish."

"I dunno exactly. The equivalent of a full course meal for 4 person. Every meal, on my own. Give or take a couple plates based on how much I do in a day. So no, I couldn't drink down a dam. No one is quite sure where it all goes. I mean, when I first manifested my power there was talk of transdimensional energy emission and phase shifting mass accross multispectrum quantum level of cell lining." He shrugs a little. "I think it basicly boils down to whatever I eat turn into some sort of weird energy."

He glances at his trays before speaking somewhat sheepishly.

"I'll admit... the second cake is simple gluttony."

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

City Street
    "I suppose I can part with a sample," the man says to Edward. He holds out one apparently-empty hand, palm down, to the youth.
    "Right proper, mate." Edward said, holding out his hand as well, palm up.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Rebecca started rummaging through the bag, and listing items as she found them.

"All sorts of stuff. Got a collapsible umbrella (sorry it's bright yellow); A sketchpad and pencils (in case inspiration strikes); Some sugary snacks for you (I didn't know your favourite brand, so I packed one of each); A...plastic elephant (not sure why that's in there); My 'one of the good Vampires (so please don't shoot me)' ID card; A little William figurine I made (to give him if he gets worried and follows me); Some spare clothes (loose enough to fit either of us); A taser (in case powers and swords turn out to be overkill); A pair of aviator goggles (because...)"

And so on.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

City Street

The man places his palm briefly on Edward's. The sensation is somewhere between a very sweaty palm or an oily one, but only for a moment, before the oily fluid is absorbed into Edward's skin. There's no vial or packet, almost as if the man excretes the drug-liquid directly like sweat. The effect is a powerful hallucinogenic along the lines of strong LSD or some of the more exotic varieties of mushrooms.

Rooftop

"Wow, how did you manage to lug all of that and me all the way up here? You must be a lot stronger than I thought." Bryn continues to observe through the binoculars the exchange taking place below.

Cafeteria

"You hardly look like a glutton. Svelte, that's what you are." She appears to have great interest in a piece of meat sitting on his plate, the way she is suddenly staring at it.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

City Street
    The man places his palm briefly on Edward's. The sensation is somewhere between a very sweaty palm or an oily one, but only for a moment, before the oily fluid is absorbed into Edward's skin. There's no vial or packet, almost as if the man excretes the drug-liquid directly like sweat. The effect is a powerful hallucinogenic along the lines of strong LSD or some of the more exotic varieties of mushrooms.

"Ahahaha, Woah!"
    Edward exclaimed, taking a step back as the effects hit him. "Tha's some strong stuff, it is." He marveled at the way things around him changed as the drug affected his mind. It had to be some serious stuff to get through his and Henry's heightened tolerance to drugs and other foreign elements. He channeled his biokinesis into overcharging his bloodflow and other processes, vastly cutting the time it would take to burn through the drug.
    "Wha' I could do with this an' a stocked chem lab..." Although there were elements of the drug he couldn't identify by feel, there were several he recognized, rare and expensive to come by normally. He could make all sorts of concoctions and medicines with this, without having to go through all the hassle of the proper channels.
    "Yeh, e is a proper drug dealer alright. This stuff would be devastatin' in the blood o' normal people, real big chance fer bad trips. In my 'ands it could be turned inta all sorts o' useful med'cines though. I say we take 'im in, boss-man. Per'aps with a setup that allows me to milk 'im fer his precious, precious juices?" Edward said, turning to Orlando, grinning wide.
    As he looked at the others he broke into a sudden giggling fit. They looked ridiculous. Orlando with his toucan beak, Herald rolling around on the ground, his head turning in the opposite direction of his body. And Willow... Hadn't changed at all, actually. What was up with that? "Guess morphin' sumthin' tha' cute is fundamentally wrong, eh..." Edward muttered.
    He then realized what he said, and clamped up tight, turning to look away from Willow. Where'd that come from?

Ahahaha, you liiike her, Edward! Hehehee, big tough Eddie... Oh god, I am being affected by the drug too... Quick brother, we must burn through the drug before gravity stops and we are pulled to Mars!

Edward coughed somewhat awkwardly, giving Orlando a pointed stare. "Ahm, Anywhoos we should definitely take this guy in. Or sumthin'. 'E ain't good fer people who aren't, well... Aclimatized to 'allucinogens."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-02-11 at 06:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Firbolg in the Playground

Warren had been standing silently in the background up to this point, he takes Edward's remarks as his cue, and steps up behind the dealer with a smirk on his face, and begins playing a particularly ominous sounding song that may be familiar to a few of the members of the squad.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.